Justify Me!

128 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here's how this works: Someone names a bizarre class/race combination, and the next poster justifies how that character could reasonably exist. The inspiration for this comes from helping another justify their Warforged Barbarian. I'm less concerned about optimizing characters, and more interested in seeing odd combinations come to life.

I'll start:

Firesoul Genasi Ice Sorceror
There are those who say that in order to understand something you must first understand its opposite. You have taken these words to heart and have dedicated yourself to learning the very antithesis to your self, the cold unyielding force of ice. Yours is not a quest for power, but a journey of self discovery.

My turn, a deva, infernal pact warlock.
The enemy is powerful. This has not escaped your knowledge. Though doing so may risk your damnation as a rakshasa, you have made deals with the very infernal powers you seek to destroy. Now their power is yours.

Admit it, though. The tiniest part of you likes it.

Next:
Wilden Cleric of Erathis
You've always tended to wander. Now you've gone and wandered completely outside your realm of creation. As it is in the Feywild, their is the complex symbiosis of organisms reflected by the symbiosis of the peoples. A forest of cobbled stone is now your domain. Awed by the beauty of the organized chaos that is civilization you are moved to protect it with whatever power is at your disposal.

Next: Gnome Sword Mage

EDIT: mistype.
Your innate interest in the arcane has always been part of your life, and you sought to combine it with the swordplay you learned in the local militia. Years passed as you studied and practiced, until one day it clicked. You discovered the art of using sword and spell in tandem, and it has become your signature.

Next: Gnoll Astral Pact Warlock.
Your people are in need of a savior who can bring them into the light. You sought the the divine hand of justice and righteousness to help lead them, and in doing so sealed a pact with those deities to use their powers to fight for that desire. The power that flows through you is a mix of the enlightenment coursing through the divine being that lent you a part of his power and your own mind that opened itself to that very enlightenment.

EDIT (My previous suggestion was gnoll paladin, but this description seems to fit just as well): Next: Goliath artful dodger rogue.
Your people are not mountain-dwellers like most of your goliath kin. Instead, you were exiles who banded together near a human city to survive. After being cheated by the less than honest merchants there, the tribe decided they needed some people to beat them at their own game, and get back the livelihood that was cheated from them, as well as know their tricks so they don't happen again. That's where you come in. You're easily one of the smoothest talkers of the tribe, so you're usually the one making the bargains.

Next: Dwarf fey pact Warlock
Deep into the mountain you crept day after day - you felt the presence where noone else could. Finally one day, the stone opened up to you, you spoke to the great spirit of Mountain - from time immemorial his spirit has rested watching over your clan. And now - he shares his secrets...

Next: gnome priestess of lolth
Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"
Captured by renegade Drow worshippers of Torog, you expected to die in agony. Until her voice began whispering in your head. She spoke of a shared fey heritage, and manipulated your fear, desperation and anger. Now her dark power flows easily from through your mind, and once these treacherous Drow are dispatched you will return to the Feywild to avenge yourself on all those who have wronged you.

Next: Warforged bard (aka "iForged" :P)
The first time you heard a song on a lute it moved you in a way nothing else had, not even the constant war you had been fighting for more than 30 years. suddenly you could feel real emotions, and now you want more. you deserted from the war effort to perfect your own music and examine other's music.

Hobgoblin Paladin/Sorcerer hybrid class of Pelor who is a blizzard mage (cold focused)
Hobgoblin Paladin/Sorcerer hybrid class of Pelor who is a blizzard mage (cold focused)

A seemingly simple thug in the city, you were destined for much more. Brought from the brink of death by Pelor himself, you dedicated your life to his service. Seeing yourself as unworthy to use fire (an element favored by the sun god), you instead invoke the cold brought by the absence of sunlight as a warning to those who would forsake Pelor.

Edited because I fail at reading
Oh forgot to add...

Gnome Earthstrength Warden
Living amongest goliath tribes you saw their competitive nature and wished to join in. Being increadably weak you only brought shame. However you began training yourself to harness the power of the earth in order to prove yourself as stong and powerfull.

Next: Minotaur Wand Wizard
You were always the runt of your clan, smaller than the other warriors and the brunt of their many cruel jokes. When you failed your older brother in a raid, he beat you bloody, declared that you and your horns were too weak to be of any worth, and snapped off your right horn with his bare hands.

After years of painful study, training, and patient crafting, you are ready to prove your brother wrong. At the point of a wand carved from the horn your brother snapped off, he will learn his folly.

Next: Dragonborn Cleric Scourge of Io

Peter Schaefer, guy. Check my blog for game- and fantasy-related tidbits.

EDIT: Underposted :p
Honor, duty, sacrifice. You have served Bahamut faithfully all these years. Your dream to become a captain in his service, to face the colored queen and her treacherous companion. In touch with the divine you know the war has started. The chromatics would fall. And that one fateful day when your prayers were answered, and Bahamut entrusted you with the power to enter the fray....

added: Tiefling Disciple of the World Serpent (shaman)
Through the ages, many would wonder "Does art imitate life or does life imitate art?" I wonder "Does the art of discourse on the internet imitate the art of discourse in life or does the art of discourse in life imitate the art of discourse on the internet?"
The tempters of Bael Turath once spoke to you, maddened you, nearly drove you to unconscionable deeds. None believed that you heard spirits talking to you, until you encountered someone who talked back, imploring other spirits to drive off your tormentors. Indebted to this shaman and the World Serpent he served, you now follow in his path.

Next: wilden star pact warlock
"We are told by men with books that we are an anomaly. We are told that are born to protect the fey from the encroaching far plane. We exist to stand guard against the time when we are invaded by that which exists beyond the twilight. But does a shadow exist in the absence of light? No. We are a shadow cast by the distant twilight of madness. The far plane gives us our power, and we embrace it. And when it is beaten back by our hand, we too shall wither into winter. No longer will there be light. No longer will there be shadow."

Longtooth Shifter Prescient Bard
You are the respected and beloved bard and brother to the cheiftain of yoour tribe. Your brother, Proud, Honorable, Admirable, was struck down in his prime and now you, and your brothers in arms leave the village in search of the assassins, that murdered your brother and chief, and the bastards that hired them, you pick up your harp and short sword, and set forth in to the vast world.

Human Atheist Avenger
Growing up in the enclave, you heard what the outsiders had to say. "Heretics!", "Faithless"

They would learn. Your sect knew the truth. Why let mere gods stand between you and the power of the Astral Sea? You now know the techniques, you now can call forth the power. You now can go out and MAKE THEM PAY!

edited to add: Deva Rageblood Barbarian
You shudder to think of the atrocities committed in the name of good by your previous incarnation. He knew the game of good and evil, and he knew it well. For every monstrous act he did to gain arcane power, he committed an equal or greater act of good to balance it out. How he so accurately knew the will of the cosmos is something that eludes you. You owe him gratitude for doing barely enough good, for your benefit, that you are not now a Rakshasa--but you don't want anything to do with his methods and ways.

So now overthinking is anathema to you. You take your huge sword and run with your gut feeling, striving to do consistent good based on what your emotions alone tell you.

Invoker of a god multiclassed into Cleric of a different god.
The world is a mess, I just need to... rule it.
Invoker of a god multiclassed into Cleric of a different god.

I have what I think is an obvious (maybe perfect) one for this, but I'd rather do it as a bonus, I don't want to take a turn for it.

edited to add: now, comes the question -do you want story or strict RAW, the story is good, but a strict interpretation may give it cheese (hence I didn't want it to take the turn) (and this only works because race was unspecified)
You were supreme among your hobgoblin tribe. Invoking the name of your local deity Maglubiyet, you helped the chief lead your tribe to dominance in the region. All was well, until you discovered the truth. Cutting a deal in Sutulruk (sp) for the captured slaves, you came across The Iron Crown. Maglubiyet had yielded. If he could be bested by Bane, then perhaps your devotions would be best served elsewhere...
I was hoping someone would have jumped on that last one.

Since they didn't I'll leave mine and post a new one:

Eldarin priestess of the chained one.
I was hoping someone would have jumped on that last one.

Since they didn't I'll leave mine and post a new one:

Eldarin priestess of the chained one.

She craves control. Not power. No, power can be found, stumbled upon, or cultivated. She could make her followers powerful. But she would control those with power. The chained one knows this, and so she follows him, hoping to one day even bring deities under her control. She is given a supreme arrogance, some of which comes from natural eladrin style, but mostly because she serves a god who, in his very name, is chained. Being captured is the ultimate humiliation of a race that can teleport.

Next: Lawful Good Chaos Sorceror Who Worships Erathis
Heh, you--yeah, I'm sure you're lookin' at me funny, blastin' my allies around sometimes and throwin' Chaos Bolts. Well, I mean--what was I supposed to do? I tried to pick up a sword, and that was no good. I mean, I could barely pick it up, much less swing it in a way that meant anythin'. Another fella I knew tried to show me how to pick locks and pockets and such; he even said I'd be good at it, can you believe that? My mum'd have a heart attack... my pop's a city judge! He might be head judge come next year dependin' on what happens!

I tried to head to the church, but I didn't have the patience or concentration to meditate and pray like they like. I tried schooling in the arcane academy like my aunt and uncle did... didn't have the knack for all those books. I wasn't all bad, though. The instructors failed me every time, but not for lack of effect--just for the wrong one. They wanted me to enlarge a frog--who needs a huge frog anyway--I turned it purple, I duplicated it, I made it super-speedy, I shrunk it (they almost decided that was close enough), and finally I just blew it up, but I couldn't enlarge it for the life of me!

But when the war came, I needed to do somethin'. I couldn't just sit there and let all those people come to th' defense of the city without even tryin' to help. I got up there and I threw all my energy at those monsters, mostly orcs but they had a huge throng of gibberlin's in tow somehow that they wanted to use to mow down our city--I took out more of 'em than all but the best swordsman! I can't say that my spellslingin' saved the city or anythin', but I think it mighta saved a couple of our lives, y'know? And I'm gonna keep doin' it if, Erathis forbid, we ever see somethin' else like that invasion again!

Duergar Druid.
Samson the Duregar was banished from his society after hesitating to kill a orphan (who he orphaned)of a dwarf settlement that had burrowed slightly too far into a mountain. He attempted to join the fleeing dwarves but was taken prisoner and tortured.
He escaped eventually (immediately prior to excecution) and wandered the forests near the mountain. He eventually learned to commune with nature and gained a strong reverence and love for the creatures and land (both of which would pose a threat in the Underdark.)

Minotaur Psionic/bard hybrid
I have contemplated the labyrinth of my mind and found it's key. I've mastered my mind, and mastered the maze. I've learned to bring others into it. Too many believe the labyrinth teaches us to hide our animalistic nature. They have not the key. Release him, let him roar, and watch as your enemies tremble upon hearing his approach.

Gnoll priestess of Sehanine.
Love knows no boundaries, love is unconquerable, unquenchable, love bends the possible and shatters the impossible. Alone on a moonlit night while scouring the lands for something to feed your starving cubs you came across a Dragonborn bathing in a local watering hole, the moonlight reflecting off of the water onto his massive shoulders, the effortless way he moves through the water... You stay hidden in the reeds nearby and watch the entire spectacle while the moon shifts across the sky above you...

Your nose perks up, fire in the distance, you run home... The hour-long distraction has cost you your pups and your tribe has scattered. Despondent, you wander back to where you last left the Dragonborn, he too is gone.

Alone on that full-moon night, your fledgling family lost to a fleeting and careless obsession with someone you had only just set eyes on, maybe only for minutes... You howl at the moon, begging it for direction, for a new home, to find your red-scaled prince, for some kind of answers.

In the moonlit waters of the pond before you, a wooden crescent on a hemp rope bobs to the surface... perhaps lost by the Dragonborn you now seek? Perhaps a gift from the moon herself... either way, you dedicate yourself to filling the hole in your heart left by the events of this night... the moon hears your howls and your furious promises... Sehanine will join you on that quest.

Goblin Paladin of Corellon
Drow destroyed everything I've ever known, cared about and been. I have not the strength within me to destroy them. But Corellon does...

Shadar-kai invoker of Pelor/shaman hybrid.
^^^

Cop out. I demand more.
^^^

Cop out. I demand more.

I'll second that. And for you - yours was wonderful.
first off screw you, you'll take what I give and like it :P

For decades,the drow enslaved my tribe with superior magic, numbers, and weapons. 7 years ago we had a drought and the herds moved south, preventing us from acquiring not only enough food for ourselves (many died) but the ransom the drow required for our safety. When they were disappointed they came in force and burned down our entire village. Buried under rubble and barely alive, I searched for survivors and found none.

Over the next year I searched for another Goblin village to call my own, and was beaten near the point of death many times in the process. wandering north I encountered a temple of Corellon deep in the forest. Remembering the deep hatred the elves had for the Drow I surrendered to them. For days I waited outside constantly pleading "I hate the Drow and want vengance." Eventually they translated my words and took me in. Over time they learned to trust me and train me in the ways of Corellon Larethian. I care only for one thing: The total and complete destruction of the Drow.

And now... Shadar-kai invoker of Pelore/shaman hybrid.
Let them crow all they want. In the end, I will survive. Did they never watch the shadowhound? It bays and they all tremble, but have they stopped and learned from it? Too consumed in their own useless sense of power, they fail to connect and realize that the hound brings his shadow with him. He cowers in it, because he knows. I know this, because he told me himself. And when I call down the sun they'll know - but it will be too late. He'll feast well, tonight.

Edited to add: Halfling, Rageblood Barbarian, MC: Avenger

I had fun with that one - here he is:
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
Vasylay, level 1
Shadar-kai, Invoker
Build: Wrathful Invoker
Divine Covenant: Covenant of Wrath

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 12, Int 13, Wis 18, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 14, Dex 10, Int 11, Wis 18, Cha 8.

AC: 16 Fort: 14 Reflex: 12 Will: 15
HP: 24 Surges: 8 Surge Value: 6

TRAINED SKILLS
Religion +6, History +6, Endurance +6, Insight +9, Nature +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +2, Arcana +1, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Dungeoneering +4, Heal +4, Intimidate -1, Perception +4, Stealth +2, Streetwise -1, Thievery, Athletics -1

FEATS
Invoker: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Spirit Talker

POWERS
Invoker at-will 1: Sun Strike
Invoker at-will 1: Avenging Light
Spirit Talker: Spirit's Fangs
Invoker encounter 1: Spear of the Inquisitor
Invoker daily 1: Summon Angel of Fire

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Chainmail, Adventurer's Kit, Implement, Rod
RITUALS
Hand of Fate
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======
i'd be interested in seeing a Goliath Wizard
Running, jumping, climbing trees, climbing CLIFFS, it makes a body tired just thinking about all that activity. Let's not even begin with the lifting, pushing, throwing, dragging, oh, the dragging of heavy objects. Ilikan threw a boulder across the river, did he? Well, just between you and me, I brought that boulder across Seven Pine Valley, over the pass, and set it down by the river so I could have a proper seat while I studied. I *could* have carried it, but honestly, I prefer to let a floating disc handle the manual labor so I can form thoughts more complex than, "Push!"

This past winter I discovered a wonderful thing. No longer must I endure frozen toes, fingers or ears. Sure, there's usually a nice bonfire at camp, and the tents keep a draft or two out, but I'm talking about fire at one's fingertips. Warm, fascinating stuff. I've got a thing or two to try out next time we're scaring game out of the forest.

Dragonborn Paladin... Dragonslayer PP
From da last War mine'z were breeed to fill da rank of bruute soldiaz. We were made from Dragunz eggz methinkss. We hunted Gold Dragunz Silva Dragonz and their Dragunzknightss. Afta da War, i became a mercenary a Sellswordzz.

I am seeking adventurez to come with me to the mountainz where a Dragunz is reported to lair. Will you come with me ?

Halfling Druid

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

Halfling, Rageblood Barbarian, MC: Avenger
I've always had a problem often being the village bully since I liked to throw my weight around. Most would call me Hobbit, a viscious insult amongst halflings, and I would sit on them for it. Well one day I was jumped by all the kids of the village all at once and they beat me with three branches so bad I was going to die by the riverbed. Then a cleric of Kord came to me and showed me that power without purpose is pointless but overfocus breeds for weakness. He showed me how to make my anger as sharp as a sword and let my anger become a rightious fury to prove my power!

Dragonborn paladin to dragonslayer PP
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, if one dragon brings terror to a whole kingdom, they are no longer worthy of the land they hold. Though my scales be red as the autumn leaf, Bahamut has told me that this fire-breather needs to be returned to Tiamats embrace and so I shall bring the plaitnum dragons will to the land of mortals and meet my cousin in full glory and honnor.

Halfling druid
I listen to the river, her song fills me with splendor, the sunwarmed grass is a bed no woodworker can match, the open eyes take in beauty no artist can ever match. it is no suprise my walks take me farther and farther from the village, a day, two, a week, fortnight... Nature will not let me come to harm for I am her artist and she my muse.

Warforged vestigal warlock
It's been long debated as to whether or not your kind actually have souls, and a veritable lifetime of taunting on the matter drove you to an extreme. Now, as you read from this old tome and the spirits begin to surround you, there will be no questioning. You have more than a soul. You have several of them. And you're going to show those cowards exactly what you can do with them.

(Could also be an awesome big bad.)

Next: Tiefling avenger of Bahamut.
During a very late and disturbingly active party. You were conceived without your Mother's knowledge. When she found out months later that you were a Tiefling she left you for dead. Abandoned as a child you were raised by an elderly Dragonborn couple. During your childhood the large city you lived in was taken control of by several loosely aligned chromatic dragons.

An underground church of Bahamut mounted a resistance that you joined and eventually became an Avenger within. Dedicated to eradicating Chromatic dragons everywhere.

Bullywug Paladin of Erathis.
Bullywug Paladin of Erathis.

Glenn was Cyrus's squire, learning the ways of Knighthood, chivalry, devotion of the King, Queen, and his god, and such at the reknowned warrior's side. On a patrol, they came across one of the most infamous dark casters of the land, the wizard Magus. His magic made short work of even the great warrior Cyrus, and when Glenn attacked Magus in retribution, the wizard considered the man unworthy of death at his hands, and instead simply cursed him to have bullywug form for as long as he shall live.

... .. I'm sorry, I.. I couldn't resist.

Illithid fighter.
Goblin Paladin of Corellon

Your tribe never understood you. You would paint on the walls of the cave, masterpieces by your tribe's crude judgment. To you, their brutal way of life was disgusting. You needed something else. When Llolths children came to enslave your tribe, you fled. Dirty, alone, and starving you prayed to any god that would hear you: give you a chance to make something beautiful. Give you a chance to battle the drow.

Unexpectedly, one god did answer. And now you serve him.
(couldn't resist that one)

Illithid Fighter

You hunger for more than just the minds of your foes, you also crave to be close enough to them before they cave to your mental assault to see the fear in their eyes. As your sword slices tendons and bones, their last moments become like sweet honey when you feast upon their minds. Their pain is just spice for your meal, their agony gentle seasoning.

Wilden Artificer
I_Roll_20s @twitter. Not always SFW. I may prefer 4e, but I will play and enjoy almost any edition, and indeed almost any table top RPG, with my friends. Down with Edition Wars. Shut up and roll your dice. :P