What does Primordial sound like?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I think most people familiar with fantasy genres have a good idea that Dwarven sounds gruff and guttural and Elven is almost singing. However what about the other languages? Specifically Primordial, my character in a current campaign speaks it and I've been trying to wrap my head around what it might sound like.

Google hasn't given me very good results so I'm hoping you guys can give me a hand, feel free to discuss what the other languages might sound like as I'm interested in those aswell from a curiosity standpoint.
primordial is the father language of abyssal and giant, if that helps.
I imagine it as a coughing but, sharp tongue. You spit out the words like you would if you swallowed water, dirt, smoke, etc. I imagine harsh sounding Ks, Ss, Ts, etc.

Deep Speech I imagine as something that is strung together more. It is soft and hard to hear, and doesn't sound proper spoken aloud. It is something you hear softly spoken into your ear.

Abysmal sounds like Primordial but the way of speaking itself is twisted. It takes effort to understand the actual terminology and order of speaking that is used.

Supernal, well no one knows. You simply understand what they are saying. You may afterwards be able to identify the voice of the person speaking but if you are asked to describe how they spoke you cannot, you simply heard it.

With these type of languages too I always imagine more mystical/secondary (non vocal chord) sound to them. Primordial is a grinding, rumbling sound. Deep Speech is a echoing distant choir/chant. Abysmal replaces the grinding with shrieks and pants and animalistic sounds. Supernal has none (that people are aware of).
I agree with Sigil. Definitely sharp sounding, and light with medium tempo. Abysmal is the deeper-sounding version of Primodial to me, heavy with slower tempo.
In my setting, Primordial sounds like Farsi. Abyssal sounds like Farsi spoken by someone with a terminal lung disease.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

Unicron
Supernal: as heard by other surpernal speaking creatures, I'd say it sounds like a choir of angels speaking in Hebrew.
Primordial: A roaring sound, like that of a forest fire, earthquake, thunderstorm, or waterfall is what I think Primordial sounds like. I make the words based on sounds from Nahuatl and Uto-Aztecan languages.
Abyssal: The same gutteral roaring sound of Primordial, only formed around the more Roman Latin language.
Deep Speech: If you want to hear deep speech, turn an old radio to a channel that gets nothing but steady, hissing static. Whisper short bursts of comprehensible words while a few friends whisper gibberish. That kind of white noise sounds perfectly insane enough to be Deep Speech.
Elven: Hindi. It's a beautiful language, both written and spoken. When spoken fluently, the words roll smoothley from one to the next.
Common: English, from England. Think medieval nobility, with enough vocabulary to carry on most conversation.
Dwarven: Old Norse. Explains itself.
Draconic: I chose Arabic because it sounds inteligent, ancient, and powerful, which works perfect for dragons.
Giant: Bellowing in a slavic tongue = the best giant language ever.
Goblin: Think a kind of growling American english, as spoken by a person with enough of a vocabulary to count to ten and make basic commands of less than 5 words.
Name: Johnathan Allen Characters: Roeth Larelynn, Lhoen Lathanen, Mallorie Blackwolf, Allen Blackwolf, Jacob Ravencrest, Johnathan Quick, Nathan Quick, Garret Quick, Isaac Macgilovicz, Ivan Macgilovicz, Cadence Arthur, and Lady Ashen'vari Grasswhisper. Classes: Ranger, Paladin, Rogue, Bard.
I run Primordial as sounding like Huttese from the Star Wars films. I run Abyssal as a Latin/Hebrew mashup and Supernal as based loosely on Enochian.
I like the idea of elves speaking Hawaiian. If you ask me, it's a very elven language: lots of vowels, a healthy dose of apostrophes, and plenty of nature-oriented words. Since there are already examples of Elven words in the books, it wouldn't be appropriate for campaigns in the preexisting settings, but it's a neat little details for any homebrew.
Primordial to me should sound like Sauron did from The Lord of the Rings movie; guttural yet elegant, raking yet somehow captivating.

Supernal, well, I just go with an "Enya"-esque flowing thingy.

Deep Speech is my favorite because I use some of the sentences spoken in H.P. Lovecraft's books, like "Ftaghn" or "P'nut chtagn fgethas". I try to imagine it like a chain-smoker is deliberately avoiding vowels in their words.

Giant, I have to agree with IndiviDuality, has to sound like a Northern European dialect like Russian or Slavic.

Being a Warhammer fan, I cannot imagine a goblin or orc without a Cockney accent. "Dis' 'ere's da biggest n' best strong'old as' ever 'eld an orc!"
To me, Elven is a cross between Lakota and Gaelic, if you can imagine such a thing. Clannad's songs Croi Croga and (the non-English parts of) Trail of Tears, as well as John Two-Hawk's Lakota speech at the beginning and end of Nightwish's Creek Mary's Blood, are basically how I imagine the Elven language (and music) sounding.

Supernal is the invented language used by Lisa Gerrard from Dead Can Dance when she sings.

Deep Speech has to be the alien language of the Cthulhu mythos. Lots of consonants and glottal stops, with hardly any vowels.

Giant and Dwarven are Semitic languages, with Dwarven being closer to Hebrew and Giant closer to Akkadian.

A lot of Draconic words can be found in Draconomicon, so I defer to that source for what Draconic sounds like.

I'm not at all certain about Goblin other than that it strings words together into longer compounds like German does and that it sounds quite 'liquid' and 'bubbling', as though spoken through a throat full of phlegm. Hobgoblins have developed a simpler, harsher-sounding dialect for giving commands in battle, which sounds a bit like Tolkien's Black Speech.

Primordial as spoken by its native elemental creatures should be rumblings, hisses, crackles, roars, booms, thumps, and scrapes, representing the movement of the elements (earthquakes, lightning, wind, falling pebbles, glacial advance, waterfalls, waves), with a massive variety in volume (depending on context) and taking a *long* time to convey a complete sentence, with massive amounts of meaning in the small details and dozens of different ways to speak the same words.

The humanoid incarnation of the speech would be very difficult and outright *hurt* to speak, due to the unnatural grating sounds that would need to be produced by the vocal chords and the necessary varieties in volume. A speaker would probably focus on a dialect associated with a favored element when speaking, but would have to be able to understand a large variety of dialects to adequately communicate with different elemental creatures.

I would see some anthropomorphized elemental creatures, like efreets, as speaking a more structured dialect of the language which is closer to a humanoid interpretation: more "voice" and less "sounds", faster, more eloquent, more intellectual, more emotional. Archons would also have a faster dialect, but with a perpetual angry and warlike sound about their speech. Titans would speak a form of primordial designed to invoke sheer awe, as appropriate for their intimidating stature and connection to the creation of the world, filled with boasting pride, seeing themselves as god-like.

Abyssal and Giant would both sound somewhat similar, but very distinct.

Abyssal would be warped by sheer unadulterated evil, twisting in upon itself, filled with sounds of violence and anguish. It would have shrieks, howls, deep groans and other genuinely nasty sounds woven through its words.

Giant would be like a severe dumbing-down of Primordial, losing almost all of its elemental sounds and replacing long depictions of formative forces and qualities with short worldly colloquialisms.
The word primordial suggests it's raw, primitive and savage with dominant and submissive modes of speech
An Orc walks into a bar. The Human and the Elf laugh at the hapless Orc. The dwarf walks under it scowling and doesn't laugh. He doesn't see the humor. It was all over his head
I think most of it is lower than humans can hear but i think it would sound like the boom of thunder, the wind and the crackle of fire
Primordial wouldn't sound like speech-it would sound like crashing stones, rumbling thunder, and the like.

Also, I see Deep Speech as being fluid, with no pauses, and having an after whisper.

Ex)
Illithid: Tacosss..
Creepy Whisper: Tacosss...
Shaman: "Why doesn't the squirrel shoot the wizard?" DM: "Because the last squirrel who tried to shoot the wizard missed, then was pulled out of his tree and incinerated." Wizard: "He has a point."
The problem with describing Primordial (or any language in D&D, really) as something no human could actually speak is that humans obviously can speak it perfectly well. If you're going to have it as random elemental noises or something similar that isn't reproducible by the human larynx, then you probably should ban humans and other non-native speakers from being able to speak it (they could still learn to understand it, of course).

Primordial probably isn't a language per se, it's energy, the roar of thunder, the crashing of waves, the endless rumbling of an avalanche. Primordial tongue strikes me as something almost impossible to really speak, the spoken version is probably what the mortals or archons use as the true primordials did not speak so much as impose their energy and will, and all creation understood it.
i always pegged it as a slightly deeper and gravelly version of the protoss from starcraft.
they dont talk, you just get the sound and image in your brain.
Murlocs.
When I first read the thread title I couldn't get the Lavos screech out of my mind (course I interpreted the thread as "What sound does a Primordial make").

Once I had a player address an elemental using a Team America Style parody (stringing words like Burn, hiss, swoosh, destroy randomly and subtitling coherant thought.)

Or perhaps it's like speaking Whale from Finding Nemo (HOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWW ARRRRRRRRRRREEEEE YOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU?)
There is SOME SMALL CHANCE that I am wrong about this, but I believe that the DMG insists that the only correct way to run Deep Speech is as gargling while gesticulating wildly. The exception is Illithids, of course; for those, you have to forgo the gesticulating so that you can make two fists, place them against your mouth with the backs of your hands touching your mouth, and wiggle your fingers.
Dwarves invented beer so they could toast to their axes. Dwarves invented axes to kill people and take their beer. Swanmay Syndrome: Despite the percentages given in the Monster Manual, in reality 100% of groups of swans contain a Swanmay, because otherwise the DM would not have put any swans in the game.