A typical Race/Class/Concept

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
One thing that strikes me about 4th ed is that while many builds are not optimal, none are truly "bad". Which brings to mind what sort of interesting atypical builds peaple can come up with. Here are two examples.

Kobald Cleric of the Party's Dragonborn. He's a side kick that takes hero worship to a new level. What is really interesting is that the Party Dragonborn appears to grant spells that he can't cast.

Kobald Paladin of Bahamut... If you are going to worship dragons might as well convert to Lawful Good and worship the king of dragons.
Pax Pro Eo Optimus Arma Teabeeyea
I've always wanted to try out a tiefling great weapon fighter (for no other reason than because I find the image of a tiefling wielding a big two-handed sword like a zweihander cool).
Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders. Das Fliegende Spaghettimonster helfe mir. RAmen.
I've long thought of a warforged starlock. Built by an ancient cabal of alienists, given the inherent ability to invoke the power of the far realms. He was recently activated by adventurers, and has no knowledge of who built him or how his powers work. As he adventures, he slowly learns that he is a walking doorway into the gibbering void...
I don't know if this amounts to atypical, really, but it has intrigued me lately: an easy-going halfling beastmaster ranger. Lives out on a houseboat in the river, likes fishing and drinking beer... oh and mind the alligator--useful for home protection and protecting the flank during ranged combat.

(Anyone remember that song "Redneck Yacht Club"? Somehow that song comes to mind when I think of halflings in 4e.)
I always like to play my minotuars against the stero-type and make them apper more regal and noble. I've always seen them as a missuderstood race that acually hold strong values and have great honer.

Minotuar paladin of Kord. Battle axe and sheild. "Smite those orc dogs!"
I'm currently playing a Tiefling Paladin of Pelor.

Her parents were Asmodeus worshippers who wanted to restore Bael Turath, and were killed by adventurers who wanted to stop their evil scheming. She was taken in by the Pelorian paladin, and over time came to the conclusion that Asmodeus doesn't care about the tiefling race at all, and that the tieflings will never become great again unless they have a god that does. So she aims to gain a divine spark and become that god.
Not optimal, but crazy.

Warforged Feylock with a vendetta against technology. Thievery a must for skills.
I once made a warforged wizard who had served as a mage's assistant for most of his life and had picked up a few tricks along the way. I think I designed him simply because I liked to imagine his version of Magic Missile being very similar to Iron Man's repulsors.

Also, I want to play as a gnome barbarian, which is actually not that "unoptimal" if you use the CHA-heavy build and use the good ol' "versatile = two-handed" houserule. Basically I wanted him to be a freedom fighter with a vendetta against the fomorians who enslaved his race. Imagine a small, magical William Wallace and you've got a pretty good picture of him.
I want to play an EVIIIIIILLLLEEEE drow ranger with two scimitars. And then I'm going to take the head of that angsty little boy who set the players of DnD on a path of ruination against the drow race, nobody deserves that suffering.

I think a dragonborn rogue would be interesting in concept, think about it, the standard image of a dragonborn is a rough n' tough warrior clad in plate mail wielding a sword and shield in the heat of battle, valiantly fighting for king and country. The dragonborn rogue isn't that guy, while Sir Goody-Goody is off fighting the big bad dragon, a great shadow with black scales skulks through unseen into the dragon's cave, when the adventurers defeat the dragon, they enter the cave to find the crown jewel gone, without even the mere image of a footstep in the dirt to give them a clue as to the thief's whereabouts. The next day, a tavern-keeper reports a fight that broke out in his bar during which many were slain. He speaks of a great cloaked figure, whose great hands moved quick as lightning, and with the quick flash of a silver dagger, four men lay dead at the stranger's feet. The stranger rushed for the door, and on quick feet made it far from the tavern before city guards were alerted. The stranger easily outstripped the fully-armoured guardsmen, and vanished into the night.
WoTC has gotten rid of the forums I came to know and love, if you think that the old Gleemax forums should be restored, add this to your signature.
One of my favourite characters is a Goblin beastmaster multiclass warlord. He has long dreadlocks and fights with a javelin and shield. Despite his small size, he is the cockiest guy around, and he believes himself to be the greatest fighter that ever lived, or ever will live (whether or not that's actually true is debatable). It's probably not the most optimized concept around, but its fun.
Also, I want to play as a gnome barbarian [...] Basically I wanted him to be a freedom fighter with a vendetta against the fomorians who enslaved his race. Imagine a small, magical William Wallace and you've got a pretty good picture of him.

Umm, isn't that more like a Warlord? William Wallace was a 'rebellion' leader was he not? I kinda rolled a 'Fomorian Resistance leader' type up as well as a Gnome Resourceful Warlord called 'Mao Guevara'.

Nevertheless, perhaps the feral side of William Wallace would better be expressed as a Barbarian too. Yup. MC Barbarian/Warlord maybe? ^_^ To each his own...
I'm currently playing a Tiefling Paladin of Pelor.

Her parents were Asmodeus worshippers who wanted to restore Bael Turath, and were killed by adventurers who wanted to stop their evil scheming. She was taken in by the Pelorian paladin, and over time came to the conclusion that Asmodeus doesn't care about the tiefling race at all, and that the tieflings will never become great again unless they have a god that does. So she aims to gain a divine spark and become that god.

A post you made about this Paladin was partially the inspiration for my Tiefling Avenger of Avanadra.

My Avengers parents (human father, tiefling mother) are part of an organization working to redeem tieflings. Hunted by a number of different factions they left their daughter with a priest of Avandra.

As an Avenger of Avanadra Dawn knows change is inevitable, and it takes the work of good people to make it a change for the good. She is convinced there will be some sort of major event in her lifetime that will determine the fate of her people for some time to come, and she is devoted to ensuring it is a change for the better.
I've always wanted to try out a tiefling great weapon fighter (for no other reason than because I find the image of a tiefling wielding a big two-handed sword like a zweihander cool).

One of my groups has a tiefling two-handed weapon fighter. But she uses an axe, not a fullblade.

My character that goes against type is a halfling tempest fighter who uses two whips and the whip multiclass feat. He doesn't do a ton of damage, but he's sooooooo much fun. I play him like a short Indiana Jones.
I once played a Goblin barbarian in a 3.5 game that that started on the Barbarian's path when a callous chieftain decided to use him as cannon fodder on a raid (because he had ****** him off). Well, my character didn't do what the chieftain expected (freak out and run, or die) he grabbed a dwarven axe and started chopping legs, working himself into a crazed blood lust that was more orc than goblin. Ever since that fateful battle, the chieftain sent him on greater and greater quests, trying to get rid of him, and always failing.

I'd love to revisit him some day as a Goblin Barbarian l Warlord (hybrid Bravura Presence)-as a normally timid Goblin who turns into a battle-crazed beserker when blood is in the water. His warlord abilities would basically amount to "my gods...if a little goblin can do that, then what are we capable of?"
A goliath rogue would be interesting; similar to the dragonborn rogue posited above, but even better because of their larger stature!
Birdies!
Man, I have this old character concept I liked, that I can figure out how to work half-optimally in 4e. A goblin who tries to fit into humanoid culture. He wears fine clothes, speaks eloquently, and fights with a rapier. Rogue, with the rakish swashbuckler PP
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
A goliath rogue would be interesting; similar to the dragonborn rogue posited above, but even better because of their larger stature!

Good to see ya again Fenrir, glad you liked my rogue!
WoTC has gotten rid of the forums I came to know and love, if you think that the old Gleemax forums should be restored, add this to your signature.
=I think a dragonborn rogue would be interesting in concept, think about it, the standard image of a dragonborn is a rough n' tough warrior clad in plate mail wielding a sword and shield in the heat of battle, valiantly fighting for king and country.

Mechanically, dragonborn actually make great rogues, especially if they want to dabble in powers from both of the primary builds. I had a character concept for a dragonborn (I never decided what his class would be) whose whole outlook on life could be summed up by this Bender quote concerning good and evil: "They're both fine choices; whatever floats your boat." In other words, his alignment was The Winning Side, and he used his race's reputation for honorability to misdirect people.

U
mm, isn't that more like a Warlord? William Wallace was a 'rebellion' leader was he not? I kinda rolled a 'Fomorian Resistance leader' type up as well as a Gnome Resourceful Warlord called 'Mao Guevara'.

Nevertheless, perhaps the feral side of William Wallace would better be expressed as a Barbarian too. Yup. MC Barbarian/Warlord maybe? ^_^ To each his own...

Thaneborn barbarians can also function as Leaders.
Mechanically, dragonborn actually make great rogues, especially if they want to dabble in powers from both of the primary builds. I had a character concept for a dragonborn (I never decided what his class would be) whose whole outlook on life could be summed up by this Bender quote concerning good and evil: "They're both fine choices; whatever floats your boat." In other words, his alignment was The Winning Side, and he used his race's reputation for honorability to misdirect people.

Heh, dragonborn make okay rogues, they're good brutal scoundrels, but get way outdone by others in that field. They're one of what I like to call the "Muscle Races" which are basically the ones that dominate as defenders and anything with STR in it with few exceptions (dragonborn, for example, kick ass as almost all defenders but aren't very good swordmages). However, with the advent of the barbarian and the sorcerer, the dragonborn have two new classes to dominate, though only as specific builds.
I always like to play my minotuars against the stero-type and make them apper more regal and noble. I've always seen them as a missuderstood race that acually hold strong values and have great honer.

Minotuar paladin of Kord. Battle axe and sheild. "Smite those orc dogs!"

I had a Minotaur character I was making awhile back. He was a Fighter/Wizard who fought with a Crag-hammer in one hand and an Orb in the other. He was very quiet, intelligent, and serious. Served as a body guard for a noble noble who was trying to end slavery in the nation they lived. He failed to protect her one day from a swarm of assassins, and she freeded him with her dying breath. Since then he has wandered the world looking for a purpose.

As far as other characters who are played against type, I'm playing in an upcoming 3.5 campaign devoted to it. All the characters are monsters who come from a city of normal Not-Always-Chaotic-Evil monster who avoided whatever drove their kin insane. My character is a fopish illithid Psion who decided he didn't like the general "vibe" of the Mind Flayer culture and left. He currently runs a coffee-shop in the city and is a model citizen. He votes at all the city council meetings, donates to all the charities, works at an orphanage in his spare time, and even serves as an honorary member of the city militia. How does he get by without eating brains you ask? He doesn't. When he left he stole about eight of the brain-stasis jaws mind flayers use to keep their brains alive if they die outside of the colony. Every six weeks he goes out into the wilderness, finds a bandit camp, lays waste to it, and restocks his stores.

Also, as a backup character, I have a Kobold Wizard Lich who is incredibly dour, serious, and works in the city as a lobbyist for undead rights. He also loves to read romance novels. Don't ask why.
I am a: Lawful Good Dragonborn Paladin
I'm currently running a goblin shaman, he's known as the 'ugly gnome' of the party; he's a ton of fun to play. heh.
I had an 18 DEX fighter/swashbuckler/rogue in 3.5 who fought with a rapier and dressed like a fop, big stylish floppy hat and all. Pretty standard character overall.

The difference?

"Lothar" was an elf/orc crossbreed - a roughly handsome, charming 6-foot-7 slab of chiseled muscle with a 16 charisma.
Ever seen a massive pro wrestler backflip onto a table?
Ever seen anybody decapitate somebody with a rapier? lol :D

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I personally want to play a Warforged Swordmage one of these days. All I really have for background is that he was built by dwarves who were sick of Eladrin always going around saying "Look at us, we're so good with swords we can do magic with it! Weeeeee!", so they built their own thing with sword-based magic. I would go with the Aegis of Ensnarement, if only so I can refluff using my Aegis as opening a portal between him and the enemy, shooting his free fist out on a chain, grabbing the enemy and pulling it back through the portal.
I built a Warforged Ruthless Ruffian Rogue that looks pretty nice on paper. I'm still working on a RP background on him, and don't know that he'll ever be played.
A Tiefling Thaneborn Barbarian wielding a Fullblade. MC Inspiring Warlord. He intends to rebuild lost Baell Turath.

A Dwarf Archer ranger. Hiding in the shadows and hunting big game with his crossbow.
A Tiefling Thaneborn Barbarian wielding a Fullblade. MC Inspiring Warlord. He intends to rebuild lost Baell Turath.

Hehe, I'm playing a Tiefling Warlock/Bard hybrid MC to warlord, PP into Turathi Highborn... same long term goal. :D
My list of characters I'd like to play includes a Tiefling Invoker. The racial bonuses and the class don't 'match up' very well, but the interesting thing is this: the Invoker class has lots of fear and fire keyword powers. So he'll have the Hellfire Blood feat, of course. The At-Will powers are a problem; none of them have the fear/fire keywords, but after Divine Power comes out, we'll see what happens.

PtM
Your house-rules suck.
Goliath Infernal Pact Warlock|Warden with a twisted reverence of creatures of the Elemental Chaos or Khyber.
D'Jormund, Dragonborn Paladin of Pelor

Has poison breath, refuses to use it.
A gnome druid who just recently escaped from slavery at the hands of a human countess who was using him to tend her garden, basically a garden gnome, wonder where the term comes from lol. his background in gardening makes him really care for nature. He has a beard and a pointy red hat, people often mistake him for a wizard. not a character I've played yet, but one that's on my list to play sometime when I'm in a not very serious mood.
For our testrun of KotS I played a dwarf ranger who was annoyed that everyone thought all dwarves lived in mountains.
Playing a Shifter Druid/Warlock named Rabbit. The rest of the players are mostly shifters.

He was the runt of the litter and constantly being chased around as "prey" growing up, hence the name. When he started Wild Shaping he realized the only form he could manage was an oversized beastly version of a rabbit, with sharp fangs and claws.

He then made a deal with an infernal source in an effort to gain some power that the other people in his clan might respect. I eventually plan on taking the Blightbeast PP as the infernal side of his character starts to influence him more and more. Turning his wild shape into something worthy of fear and respect.

In the beginning he'll mostly be comic relief, and will slowly lean more and more towards the darker side of things.

Got to make my first houserule for him:

Shifter Background-Runt of the Litter
Shifter Background - Runt of the Litter.
Related Skills: Athletics, Stealth.
You've learned how to make yourself scarce from your larger brethren.

(Not the most atypical I know, but I had so much fun coming up with him.)
Very cool character, ZeeBrat.
cool concept