1001 "Road Not Taken" Character Concepts

121 posts / 0 new
Last post
The idea here is to take a common character concept based on whatever criteria you choose (race/class combos, class/deity combos, race/deity combos, role/class combos... whatever) and basically take it in a different direction.

A couple of example ideas to start the ball rolling:

1. A rogue that "gives things back". Being a follower of Erathis, this rogue seeks out crimes that are just about to happen or have just happened and sets to order the situation before anyone realizes the crime has been committed so to subvert chaos and keep the world peaceful and civilized. (Any lawful good would really do too.) The rogue steals stolen goods back and returns them to the rightful owner before said owner notices they are missing, finds out about planned murders and manipulates the target into not being at the expected place at the expected time... etc.

2. The atheist Cleric. This guy doesn't believe in any gods at all... especially the most popular local deity. Being that said deity has some kind of opposition amid the pantheon, the other gods chip in and lend power to the atheist cleric out of sheer humors as he goes about converting adherents away from the local big cheese.

3. The atheist Avenger. She goes about killing the adherents of more prominent gods, considering them crazy and harmful to society for inspiring belief in these non-existent entities.

This is the basic idea... lets see where it goes.
4. Warforged Cleric. An iron being who believes when he dies, he will get into heaven. :3
The Generous Rogue- Steals something but is a sucker for a sob story. "Please, my child is sick" and gives away everything, even that shiny bauble that took six weeks to plan the heist
An Orc walks into a bar. The Human and the Elf laugh at the hapless Orc. The dwarf walks under it scowling and doesn't laugh. He doesn't see the humor. It was all over his head
6. The savage elf.
This is the basic concept for my Elven ranger. It basicially turns the expectations associated with Elves and turns them on there heads. Rather than being peaceful and seren and pretty, she is dirty, dressed in skins and primitively woven materials. She is an outsider and eater of human meat with filed down teeth and a drink problem. Basically, just about as far as you can get in the opposite direction to legolas.
7: Hermione the Bugbear witch. Smart, bookish and with an undeveloped talent for eating people's faces.
The harmless avenger - Sworn never to kill anyone, he walks the land teaching people lessons with the flat end of his axe.
9. The Exterminator Ranger (or Druid) - a ranger who believes that natural and urban zones should have no overlap, so turns his talents to eliminating animals that don't 'belong' in the city: rats, stray dogs, hawks, etc. Once the city is cleared, he can patrol farmlands and settled woodlands to 'protect' those areas as well.
4. Warforged Cleric. An iron being who believes when he dies, he will get into heaven. :3

:rolleye2: Yes becuse only an organic being can have a soul... Its not like in Eberron they have two religious cults and one of the major dietys has taken in intrest in them, oh wait!

Anyways to post something constructive

10. Infernal shamen- the shamen's spirit companion is a devil or demon who is slowly corrupting him to a darker path

11. Dragonborn Rogue- Honor? thats for the dumb! you look after yourself first and formost

12. Evil Deva- Your soul is corrupt and evil, for some reason you dident come back as a rakasha when you died.
13. How about a Warforged Rogue masquering as a foppish human - inspiration found in a Doctor Who episode:

Better to fight windmills than become a miller!

14.) A Barbarian who doesn't rages at all. Those so-called rages? They're just him being that awesome whenever a battle calls for it.
15. A dragonborn, of any class, who uses his racial reputation for honor to his advantage. "Of course I'll pay you back! Dragonborn's honor."

16. A half-elf who acts like the stereotypical half-orc, in that he is ashamed of his elven heritage and has sworn an oath against his father's people.

17. A trickster paladin of Sehanine, multiclassed into rogue. Uses imposter's armor and a dynamic weapon to switch into more appropriate gear when he wants to do roguish things.
18. The soft-hearted Warlock. He's nice and gentle and apologizes every time he lays a curse on someone, "I'm sorry, but I have to do this, you don't understand!"
19.the wizardly cleric-a wizard who thinks that s/he is a cleric

hello everybody!!!!!!!

20. A cowardly barbarian whose rages are actually episodes of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder suffered after a complete mental breakdown just before his first battle as a youth.
Now has a reputation as a fierce and fearsome warrior because of his awesome rages.
And is so afraid of being thought a coward that, before each battle, he works himself up into such a frenzy worrying about it that he snaps and goes charging off into the fight.
(Original character that spawned this concept was named Feargol the Fearless...:D )

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

17. A trickster paladin of Sehanine, multiclassed into rogue. Uses imposter's armor and a dynamic weapon to switch into more appropriate gear when he wants to do roguish things.

This one is great... but it is not quite a "road not taken" thing to me... it's more of just a /good/ idea. The reason I say... is because Sehanine rules over Trickery. So a paladin/rogue for her would actually be rather straightforwardly appropriate.

My thoughts/commentary on this:
Show
As per the classic image of a paladin, yes it's a diversion... but for the new 4th setting, it's actually probably not all that backwards.

In our current game, most of the party is essentially members of a single Eladrin family (all siblings having come separately to the material plane and found each other there again by chance) and all of us were raised in the Temple of Sehanine being the family that cares for the temple there. So originally, we all worshipped Sehanine.... A Wizard, a Rogue and a Druid. Especially the Wizard (me) and the Rogue constantly play tricks on each other and aggravate one another through tricks and pranks... Until later in the game by when the Wizard has made a deal with an Infernal creature and is now a Warlock mcWiz.... And now... I don't think anyone thinks said Warlock's pranks are as funny anymore. o_o hahahahahaha.

Maybe our particular game has just given me a stronger image that thoughts would be like this. I don't know. I think the idea of a Paladin of Sehanine being Roguish is terribly approrpiate, if anything however.

Not knocking the thought at all... thank you for contributing to the post. I just had to muse that this one was too "right" to be "Road Not Taken" in my opinion. I wonder if others would think so?

Keep it going!!!

21: A Barbarian Wizard... His strong, fearless people are made Very very nervous by magic and usually steer clear of the stuff altogether... So he's taken up the study of the Arcane to overcome his fear. Hates the very concept of magic... but that won't stop him from using it to toast his foes as he learns not to start every time he feels its spark run down his fingers.
Since he's the strong, proud, warrior type, he keeps himself close in combat and uses the deadlier, close range spells, refusing to be a "coward" and stand safely out of range of other combatants. He relies upon his strength to save him, and probably has more tools for direct survivability than trickery to keep him alive.
22. The Barbarian Monk - This calm, introverted warrior meditates deeply before each battle. He drifts serenely through a battle line, tripping and disabling foes with powerful strokes of his ceremonial ancestor-weapon.

23. The Druid Monk - Now that beast form doesn't mechanically change ones fighting ability (beyond granting melee attacks with the beast keyword), it doesn't have to change ones physical appearance at all. This staff-wielding wanderer from a distant land is uniquely agile, moving more swiftly than humanly possible and weaving his way safely out of combat. He can contribute to the battle either through fierce strokes of his quarterstaff, or foreign and unnerving mental attacks that leave his targets dazed and confused (Call of the Beast + other vs. will ranged attacks).
22. The Barbarian Monk - This calm, introverted warrior meditates deeply before each battle. He drifts serenely through a battle line, tripping and disabling foes with powerful strokes of his ceremonial ancestor-weapon.

Oh! My husband played this one in a 3.5 game. A female barbarian who turned away from her inner rage and was taught by traveling monks to calm her heart and to love the inner peace she could find. She is very much as you described.

23. The Druid Monk - Now that beast form doesn't mechanically change ones fighting ability (beyond granting melee attacks with the beast keyword), it doesn't have to change ones physical appearance at all. This staff-wielding wanderer from a distant land is uniquely agile, moving more swiftly than humanly possible and weaving his way safely out of combat. He can contribute to the battle either through fierce strokes of his quarterstaff, or foreign and unnerving mental attacks that leave his targets dazed and confused (Call of the Beast + other vs. will ranged attacks).

OOOOh I love this one! Another take on this would be the "animal" styles of martial arts... A druid monk that does various styles like the "tiger" and "dragon" and such... taking on the ferocity and ability of the animal without taking the actual physical appearance.. more of a spiritual transformation.

Fantastic! Well thought out!
24- The deva Avenger who "steals" power from the Gods only to increase his personal power. Switch religion on a whim if it gets him more power. Like Godly free agency.

EDIT: hum...sounds a bit like Warcraft's Illidan on a second reading...still interresting.
25. pactless warlock- "Deal? what deal? Ever since i was little ive been able to shoot bolts of power from my hands. My parents or grandparents dident make any deals either." Also make the character lawful good with a ,holier than thou, additude.
The scholerly Shaman: while others in the academy studied arcane magic, you seeked out the books and tomes that contained knowledge of the ancient world and you learned of the primal spirits that linger from that forgotten time, you studied hard to learn how to commune with these spirits and formed a bond with one powerful spirit an ancient soldier who once fought to save the world from evil when the world was still young.

The Possessed Barbarian: Your rages are actually spirits taking over your mind.
In your tribe's lore it is said that a child will be born who is to be a vessel of the earth's will, that child is you, all members of the tribe have always payed tribute to you since you were born and the mystics have adorned you with sacred markings and garb so as to please the spirits who live through you. Throughout your life you have been visited by many spirits of all types, mostly during tribal ceremonies or astrological events, sometimes it is a overwhelming awareness that overcomes you as you become connected to the earth's consciousness causing you to colapse and babble, sometimes it's an ancesstor of the tribe come to dance and sing amongst it's people again and sometimes it's a dark or wild spirit making you act out violently. one night your mind is possessed by a spirit who begins to wisper to you about a "quest" and that you are "needed else where", that night you began to uncontrollably walk in a direction unknown to you, you walk for weeks stopping for niether water or food eventually arriving wherever the campaign starts.

Warforged Warden: you are not the creation of a wizard, or any man or woman for that matter; you are made of mossy stone and/or fertile wood, you were created by the earth itself and thus share it's power.
29. The Race-Poseur: This character believes they were born to the wrong people-they're really a Dwarf/Elf/Eladrin/Halfling/Orc/Goblin/Deva in a different body. Will go out of their way to prove their "__________ness". Whether they actually manage to earn the respect of whatever group they admire so much is defendant both on how they go about it and on their other characteristics. Perhaps even funnier if the race that the character belongs to biologically is traditionally at odds with the one he feels kinship with (like an Orc who wants to be like Elves or Eladrin or a Gnome who wants to fit into Goblin society).
29. The Race-Poseur:

Ha!!! This is cool to me partially because my husband is doing this with an NPC sorta right now in our campaign. We have a goblin cleric of Sehanine who is very un-goblin at points even though he is still very goblin at points too. (He isn't the typical mean, nasty or vicious little thing... but he's still cowardly!) However, he really seems to like the Elf/Eladrin types and follows us around and helps us despite the fact that we constantly place him in mortal peril. He does have seriously heroic moments (rushing in close to the huge melee guys to toss heals before scampering back to safety while yelling out some comment about how he should have stayed somewhere safer) however he also has what he would refer to as "lapses of common sense". heh.

Any way... not exactly the same thing as you mention here, but it's similar and made me chuckle. We really like our goblin cleric.

Some amusing asides regarding the goblin:
Show

We made him run a gauntlet with us last night... he didn't finish it, but he did make us lol a ton with his comments while the thing battered him around.

Fun interactions abound:

Gekkle "Ah! If I'd known this was what you wanted, Gekkle wouldn't have come!"
Ru'ara "That's why we didn't tell you."
Gekkle "That's just mean!"

And the like... heh. During the gauntlet, I recall him yelling something about "Gekkle not sure this was such a good idea! Gekkle has stubby legs!"

It's a lot funnier during sessions probably. lol so I'll stop trying to quote him here. Anyway I think it gets the point across somewhat.

This thread is really fun so far. Keep it going!
30. Legendary Hero Bard
This bard neither sings nor dances. He does not call out words of inspiration or speak epics of bravery. Instead, when battle is joined, he takes on the spirit of a Legendary Hero (any particular one at any time to represent different abilities). He keeps his basic physical appearance, but people looking at him would see the change in his stance/tone/expression etc. and could easily mistake him (suddenly) as a descendant of that legend or more, as if said hero had been reborn in him. Seeing him fighting along-side, allies are inspired to acts of greater courage, reminded of the legend he is representing. His own abilities are improved in this way by the aspect he takes on, remembering deeply to himself (perhaps in a somewhat meditative way) the true virtues behind the story he has brought to mind.
He may take on different hero-aspects for different abilities, or he may represent one hero who could have covered his different powers all of the time.
31. The Vestige Barbarian - this character does not 'rage;' rather, he invokes the spirit of ancient legendary heroes, who grant him vestiges of the prowess which made them legends. Sometimes he crashes about, sometimes it's cold, quiet skill and precision, sometimes it's flashy swordplay.
The Ex-Cleric Avenger: There was once a simple healer he was a man of peace, he lived a uneventful life in a small town with his wife and children; he spent his days serving and helping the community, offering moral and spiritual guidance and administering ceremonies. But one dark day the city was attacked out of the blue by raiders (either human or some evil race) the people were buchered, the homes were burned, the man's family was slaughtered; as that man kneeled on the blood stained floor of his burnt down house he forsaked all his oaths and vows and as he clutched his blood stained holy symbol he made a new oath, a new vow. That broken man was no more, a creature of hate had risen in his place, a force of vengeance and a harbinger of pain was all that remained of that once simple healer.

Ur-Priest Invoker: it is one thing to admire and respect the gods, but to serve and idolize is not really your cup of tea; you have studied dark tomes, you have infiltraded churches, you have found the secrets to tapping into the power of the gods. You do not ask for it, you did not earn it, if they knew you had it you would be in big trouble, because you stold it. Following in the footsteps of Prometheus you have the ability to take what is said to be only for the faithful.
The idea here is to take a common character concept based on whatever criteria you choose (race/class combos, class/deity combos, race/deity combos, role/class combos... whatever) and basically take it in a different direction.

2. The atheist Cleric. This guy doesn't believe in any gods at all... especially the most popular local deity. Being that said deity has some kind of opposition amid the pantheon, the other gods chip in and lend power to the atheist cleric out of sheer humors as he goes about converting adherents away from the local big cheese.

I've been wanting to do an atheist cleric for awhile now. The idea hit me as being really funny, but I had a different view. A cleric who, obviously, didn't believe in the gods. His life mission was to prove that "divine" magic didn't actually come from these supposed gods but from an entirely different and explainable source. Yes he'd still use cleric attacks and all, but they wouldn't be from a collection of gods laughing at him, just simply divine energy.

Now me myself, an atheist, I'd love to figure out a way to justify someone not believing in the gods in D&D because it's pretty obvious they exist but that's the point of the character. And if possible, it'd be fun to find some kind of answer for him. Or else if he died he'd realize he was wrong and be all, "Dammit..." Something funny like that.
32. Crazed Shaman that the Spirit Companion is really in control. Well when I first learned of the shaman class I knew if when I play one it'd have to be a crazy old hermit. Just seemed to fit. But on top of that I've been thinking of a fun idea. What if the shaman was really just plain nuts, and it was actually all the spirit companion's power doing the attacks? Basically the spirit companion would be the brains moving around the battlefied where he felt he could do the best, not because the shaman directed him.
I took it another step to do something where if the shaman needed to make an attack that wasn't based on the spirit companion the companion would actually "possess" the shaman by unsummoning and taking control of the shaman to cast the attack. Then on the next turn could come back. But I can't remember, and don't feel like looking, to see if the shaman has attacks that aren't based on the spirit companion so that may not work but the idea is still fun.

33. A multi-faceted Wild Sorcerer. What I mean by this is that with the Wild Soul roll after each extended rest the character has a predominant personality trait attached to each element. So you roll, say get fire maybe the character's aggression is predominant and when in battle you run into the thick blasting enemies. Or maybe more of a coward who stays back and maybe keeps with lower key at-wills or encounters but fears the power that daily spells bring. That's the sorcerer I want to play at least, could be fun.

34. The other one is with Arcane Power and the Cosmic Power Sorcerer. Have the character be a different person depending on which phase they're in. You know like the PC's cosmic power comes from powerful beings which inhabit him and take turns, the original PC's persona was burned out by the power. Kinda like Enlightened1's vestige barbarian.
possession and multible personalities seem to be recurring themes, I think some of us have been watching too much Dollhouse.

I know I have.
In 3.5e I had a psychic warrior/dervish (can't remember the exact make up of the character, but that was the main parts) that could do all kinds of crazy jumping maneuvers. The best part about the character was that he was built like present day Ron Jeremy, hair and all. I would describe his sweat-matted body hair and his heavy breathing after he would do some crazy dervish dance. He was an awesome off the wall character.
36. The evil Ascetic-When most people imagine a holy man or woman who is sworn to celibacy, to abstain from intoxicants, and to forsake the luxuries of the world they imagine a priest of a kind deity such as Pelor. This individual turns such expectations on their head. They serve the Maimed God, he who whispers and block out the physical world because it is irrelevant when compared to the power and glory that the master of secrets possess. Distractions such as those are for the weak of mind and the weak of body-the sort of pathetic fools that the chosen of Vecna will soon reign over.
37. Abnormally Small/Large Race
Ever met a dragonborn the size of a dwarf, or a halfling the size of a small human? You have now, guaranteed to create awkwardness and taunts from your own race.

38. Dwarf Wizard
Why get a big axe and a mug of ale when you can have a big spellbook and a mug of magic potion? The dwarf wizard can hardly lift an axe, though he can go into detail about its earliest recorded use with a good history roll.
WoTC has gotten rid of the forums I came to know and love, if you think that the old Gleemax forums should be restored, add this to your signature.
39. The Salvation Salesman
Deva Cleric

Fantasy equivalent of a teleevangelist. The character sees religion as an excellent tool to pry money out of the believing sheep. He runs an efficient scam operation with letter of indulgence, holy water and salvation ceremonies. Will frequently preach to commoners and charge ridiculous prices for rituals.
Added twist: Character is actually a bard.

40. The Amazon
Human Barbarian

High Charisma female barbarian, wearing skimpy fur clothing that is stretching the definition of Hide Armor. Has sworn a vow to only ever fall for a man that can beat her in combat... a feat that was achieved by the son of the chieftain in her home village. She is now happily married, but became an adventurer to battle a lurking threat to her homeland...

41. The Mime
Goliath Bard

As he has taken a Vow of Silence, the character never speaks except when addressed. He will never use more words than necessary. All his performances are pantomime expressions.
When pulled of right, such a character can be very powerful. If he hardly ever speaks, every word he says will have much more weight.
Especially powerful as a Goliath, because they have a powerful presence regardless of what they do, and with their skin they appear like a statue when they don't move.

42. Prophet of Love
Half-Elf or Eladrin Paladin

Servant of a deity of love, beauty and the fine arts. He is not a pacifist, and will defend friends, loved ones and objects of beauty with all his might. Still, with his perfect features, gold-plated armor and shield, a graceful combat style and soft-spoken voice set him apart from his hardened or even fanatic Paladin brethren.

43. The Tramp
Human or Half-elf Sorcerer

With a boyish face, a straw hat and overalls, the character looks like Huckleberry Finn's twin brother rather than some tattooed wizard wannabe. He sleeps in attics and fields, begs, steals or does menial jobs for money, and just hangs around in the sun to pass time. So he can shoot thunderbolts from his hands since that lightning struck him as a kid. What does he care? Is that special?

44. Sir Blueblood in a Nightgown
Human Wizard

Not only is he smarter than everyone else, not only can he turn people into toes and shape reality to his will, he is also descendant to a noble family and determined to make absolutely everyone assured of it.
He refers to commoners in the 3rd person ("will he fetch us a beer"). Totally lacks leadership skills due to low wisdom and empathy, but insistent that whoever is boss in the party will listen to his opinion. Of course, the character is everything but stupid and will give sound advice, but his "better than thou" attitude is unbearable and he always risks being ignored or made fun of.
Twist: In his homeland, magic users are removed from the hereditary line, and he became an adventurer out of frustration over that.
Even more twisted: Make him an Infernal Warlock, and he's been actively disowned for bringing a curse upon his family (that is, taking the blame, although his infernal powers might not even be his own doing)

45. Edward the Chicken
Human Fighter

Descendant of a long line of heroes, this character was trained in the martial arts from a young age. Now, with the plate mail that his grandfather wore in the Gnoll wars, and the sword his mother wielded when she killed her first dragon, he is out on adventure to uphold the name of his family.
The thing is: He hates dark dungeons. The smell is revolting. It's not just the scary orcs with murder in their eyes, it's those human-eating jellies and spiders. Eeek, spiders!
It's not like he can't fight. Fear does heighten the senses, and with the harsh training this character endured his instincts kick in once the sword is drawn. And yes, all that steel plating does give a sense of comfort and security. But still... Are you sure this door was checked by traps? Do we really have to go down this corridor? Wait, I think I heard something. Crackling Bones? A skeleton patrol? Let me check that corner... Eeeeek, a giant spider!!!

46. Dwarven Stereotype in Denial
Dwarf Fighter

Lets face it, this guy is a dwarf, and a very typical one at that. Heavy armor? Check. Long, well-groomed beard? Check. Loves beer? Check. Axe and shield? Check. Doesn't like to be thrown? Check.
Yet, the character has a decent Int and is somewhat of an intellectual, and will refuses to accept that he just acts like a real stereotypical dwarf.
"But you like beer!" - "Well, as a connoiseur of brewed goods I enjoy a well-matured stout in the evening. Who doesn't?"
"And you carry an axe!" - "Physical experiments have shown that a weapon which concentrates heavy weight in a small impact area is very effective."
"And what about the platemail?" - "The latest developments in defensive technology. It would be foolish to enter melee combat unprotected."
"And the beard?" - "A personal fashion choice."
Bonus points if the player can pull off an educated tone in a broad scottish accent.

47. The Gamer in the Game
Tactical Warlord

A character who literally carries around a bag of holding with tin miniatures of the party and of common monsters. He'll even put castle models little trees and similar landscape on the table. If possible, he will create a battle plan before each combat, talk intricate strategies, and always try to come up with new ways to use other characters'
abilities. He'll cite Sun Tsu under the name of made-up legendary strategists.
38. Dwarf Wizard
Why get a big axe and a mug of ale when you can have a big spellbook and a mug of magic potion? The dwarf wizard can hardly lift an axe, though he can go into detail about its earliest recorded use with a good history roll.

Here's a variation I cooked up (I hope it works though):

48. Battle Dwarf Wizard
Very tough Wizard, has learned how to make use of his toughness in close combat -- much to the displeasure of many of his peers, who not only scoffed at the idea of a Dwarf dabbling in magic, but of a magician taking up arms rather than just focusing on learning spells.

Especially a magician who uses his spellstaff as a quarterstaff (what magician in his right mind would risk ruining his casting implement by whacking it on his foes?).
Show

You are Red/Blue!
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

You are both rational and emotional. You value creation and discovery, and feel strongly about what you create. At best, you're innovative and intuitive. At worst, you're scattered and unpredictable.

D&D Home Page - What Monster Are You? - D&D Compendium

57047238 wrote:
If you're crossing the street and see a city bus barreling straight toward you with 'GIVE ME YOUR WALLET!' painted across its windshield, you probably won't be reaching for your wallet.
I Don't Always Play Strikers...But When I Do, I Prefer Vampire Stay Thirsty, My Friends
This is what I believe is the spirit of D&D 4E, and my deal breaker for D&D Next: equal opportunities, with distinct specializations, in areas where conflict happens the most often, without having to worry about heavy micromanagement or system mastery. What I hope to be my most useful contributions to the D&D Community: DM Idea: Collaborative Mapping, Classless 4E (homebrew system, that hopefully helps in D&D Next development), Gamma World 7E random character generator (by yours truly), and the Concept of Perfect Imbalance (for D&D Next and other TRPGs in development) Pre-3E D&D should be recognized for what they were: simulation wargames where people could tell stories with The Best Answer to "Why 4E?" Fun vs. Engaging
To chaosfang:

I'll have you know my Eladrin Wiz used their staff like this all the time when they were still just a Wiz (before they became Lock/Wiz... and I say they due to gender neutrality). Amusingly enough... I remember one hilarious encounter when my Wiz ****** one of the big bad mobs off and it came charging for them. My Wiz's brother, a rogue, had just moved over near said mob and so got an attack of opportunity and nat 20'd on it... then when it reached the Wiz, badly injured, my Wiz got an attack of opportunity also and nat 20'd as well with the quarterstaff... killing it. o_o So I can't knock that idea in the least! lol That must have been embarrassing though... big bad mob gets mad and charges the softy clothy.... and gets a Wizard staff the face and dies. o_o haha.....

This thread is moving along wonderfully! Great ideas everyone!

49. The Pacifist Wizard
He has a personal code that denies violence. As a result, he has chosen the path of magic that allows him to hinder and manipulate would-be foes rather than paths of destruction and greater damage. He doesn't want to hurt anyone... so instead he slows them down, snares them in place, pushes them away and always tries to give them a chance to flee combat if they will rather than finishing them off. He tries in his gentle way to teach simple lessons to those who rush angrily and hastily into fights... showing them how close they have come to death and giving them another chance at life. He hopes in this way that he will be able to change a few hearts and spread a little peace in the world. It's a tough job but someone has to do it...
41. The Mime
Goliath Bard

As he has taken a Vow of Silence, the character never speaks except when addressed. He will never use more words than necessary. All his performances are pantomime expressions.
When pulled of right, such a character can be very powerful. If he hardly ever speaks, every word he says will have much more weight.
Especially powerful as a Goliath, because they have a powerful presence regardless of what they do, and with their skin they appear like a statue when they don't move.

You know, I went one step further with this, joking with a friend. Somehow we got on about mimes, and I had a thought. Well everyone is hoping and assuming PH3 will have Psychic powered classes. What if they had a Mime class, like a Psychic defender or something! That'd just be funny...

I had one of these in 2E and was my second favorite character of all time (my Aasimar Sorcerer/Exalted Arcanist/Thaumaturgist/Archmage is my first). My DM had custom designed a fighting monk kit, came up with 4 distinct fighting styles/monasteries that dictated some of your kit abilities and each had a separate ethos. My Druid was very zen, practiced "aikido" and was a beast (no pun intended, despite only using Wild Shape for recon). I was a weaker spellcaster than I should've been but being able to throw around man-sized enemies was pure win...even if my strength was only a 10.
50. The Kind Man (or Woman) with a heart of pond scum- Everyone's heard of the "jerk with a heart of gold"-well this individual is the exact opposite. In public he or she is the picture of goodness and compassion, giving alms to the poor, taking on dangerous quests for no compensation, and uplifting the weak. But it's all just a scam. This individual is biding their time, waiting until they've accumulated enough favors to achieve their ultimate desires, whatever those are.
51. The domesticated well mannered female shifter

Say no to the uncomfortable wilderness! Yay for soft beds, scratch poles and toothbrushes! :D

52.the fire cleric
a cleric consumed with the urge to use fire magic of ANY source!

hello everybody!!!!!!!

53. The Pacifist Paladin: Believes that all evil can be redeemed, even deities with it as one of their domains. Whereas the rest of the party spends their money on weapon enchantments, this character buys as many Helms of Opposite Alignment as they can physically carry.
37. Abnormally Small/Large Race
Ever met a dragonborn the size of a dwarf, or a halfling the size of a small human? You have now, guaranteed to create awkwardness and taunts from your own race.

38. Dwarf Wizard

I really like the idea of an oddly sized character. I'm imagining a vertically challenged (6'6" or so) Goliath Rageblood Barbarian with a Napoleon complex and a short temper. Could be fun.