More info on the Raven Queen?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing a paladin of the Raven Queen in our current campaign and I've haven't been able to find much more than the little blurb in the PHB. She's a dhampyr who escaped her vampire father and found refuge with a priestess of the Queen, so she should know more than "fate, winter, death, Orcus bad."

Anyone know if/where there is more info on her. I looked in the 3.5 PHB and death was Nerull and Wee Jass, at the Death Domain was. Eberron didn't include her either. I was never really into any of the other settings, such as FR or DL, so I don't have those books to look at.
There is some info in Manual of the Planes, I think she is based on either an ancient greek or roman death goddess so those might be good places to start
She's basically Persephone/Proserpina with a twist.

She was once a beautiful mortal sorcerer-queen. When she died, the original god of death, Nerull, wanted to make her his 'consort'. She didn't fancy the idea of being the sex-toy of a green-haired skeleton freak for eternity, so she led a rebellion of the shades of the dead, overthrew and destroyed Nerull and sacked his divine realm of Pluton.

The other gods, presumably a little scared that a mere mortal could actually do all that, made her the new god of death, but strictly limited her authority. While she could judge the souls of the dead, she couldn't imprison them like Nerull did, but had to release them into the care of their patron deities, or into whatever unknown fate lies beyond the universe.

Knowing the true name of that mortal sorcerer-queen might, just possibly, enable a sufficiently powerful entity (e.g. Orcus) to unravel the Raven Queen's divinity and make her mortal again. That would probably be very, very bad.

"My flying carpet is full of elves."

I think one of the upcoming Epic adventurers has a plot like that or something. The ongoing conflict between the Raven Queen and Orcus has really been played up by the guys at WOTC. It's almost like they expect you to make a campaign out of it!
Its presumed Orcus will be the final epic battle at the end of E3, culminating the whole H1-H2-H3-P1-P2-P3-E1-E2-E3 adventure sequence in impressive fashion.
58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!
I have the character builder and this is basically what it says:

She's Unaligned

And grants the following:
Raven Queen's Blessing (Divinity)
Tier: Heroic
Prerequisites: Channel Divinity Class Feature, must worship the Raven Queen

Feat Power:
Enounter * Healing
Free action Ranged 10
Channel Divinity: You can only use one channel divinity per encounter
Trigger: Your attack drops an enemy within range to 0 hit points or fewer
Effect: You or one ally within 5 squares of the enemy can spend a healing surge

Raven Queen Devotee (Heritage)
Tier: Heroic
Prerequisites: WIS 13 CHA 13 You must worship the RAven Queen

+2 to intimidate check

Powerup to Enfeebling Strike or Priest's Shield
All I could glean from the DM guide is that the Raven Queen lives in her palace of "Letherna" in the Shadowfell instead of in the Astral Sea.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4pr/20090504

Here is a very large explanation of her origins (mid-way down the page).
I'm really hesitant about bringing this up, but did anyone else see the similarity of "Wee Jass" to the old "Hue Jass" telephone prank? :embarrass
I'm really hesitant about bringing this up, but did anyone else see the similarity of "Wee Jass" to the old "Hue Jass" telephone prank? :embarrass

"Wee Jas" = "ouijas". Because she can talk to the dead, obviously. ;)

Here is a very large explanation of her origins (mid-way down the page).

Meh. Pretty much makes her out to be evil in all but name. Don't like it. Won't be using it. If that's an example of the direction 4th edition fluff is going, I am not impressed.

Everytime new info comes out on the Raven Queen I like her less and less.

She shirks her responsibilities, allowing Orcus to grow stronger.
She's in a constant quest for power
And now she enslaves her own followers...

I could very easily make an Avenger of the RQ that slowly begins to see her as an unworthy god and takes it upon himself to dethrone her and become god of death himself.
Yeah I kinda liked her better when she was 'that hot new goddess we don't know much about' :p

Though I do like her style, kicking Nerull's butt like that.
58292718 wrote:
I love Horseshoecrabfolk. What I love most about them is that they seem to be the one thing that we all can agree on.
See for yourself, click here!
Everytime new info comes out on the Raven Queen I like her less and less.

She shirks her responsibilities, allowing Orcus to grow stronger.
She's in a constant quest for power
And now she enslaves her own followers...

I could very easily make an Avenger of the RQ that slowly begins to see her as an unworthy god and takes it upon himself to dethrone her and become god of death himself.

How does she shirk her responsibilities? What do you mean she's in a constant quest for power? Why does she enslave her followers?

Where does it say any of this?
the exert from divine power in the most recent upcoming releases articles
Where does it say any of this?

Follow the link in ppaladin123's post.

Okay, I looked at it. I dunno, I think the Raven Queen's still better than that old corpse, Nerull.
That's incredibly lame. I always thought a if not benevolent than completely un-malevolent death god/goddess was refreshing. Same reason why I really liked Kelemvor in FR. But now we see that the Raven Queen isn't really choosing to not be malevolent, she's forced to be and is actively trying to find ways not to be.

How is she not evil? She's scheming, power hungry, and enslaves the souls she owns. She sounds like Asmodeus.
Planes Wanderer
On the other hand, the Raven Queen was not killing her master, like Asmodeus did, and she quashed Nerull's scheme to overthrow the pantheon. The gods likely gave her godhood both out of gratitude and to appease her for the strictures they placed on her. And despite the fact the Raven Queen resents the gods for holding her down, she doesn't openly plot against them like Nerull did. The Raven Queen seems like a despot, but since her ambition is firmly kept in check, she just works to keep what she has, rather than try to reach for something that would likely get her kicked out of the pantheon.

And though they say enslavement, I think that may be too strong a word. The Raven Queen rewards those servants who work her will, making them sorrowsworn, or even Raven Knights in her service. And they serve not only willingly, but GLADLY. Remember that she only gets to keep souls that worship her, so those souls she "enslaves" aren't likely to complain, since they have an attitude similar to hers and they thought she was awesome while they were alive as well.

That would be an awesome character concept to take from start to finish! I'm very partial to a pursuing avenger mc into rogue for sneakery, and taking the Dark Wanderer ED. That would be a cool way to tie it in; initially planning to become a Chosen of or Demigod for the RQ, but then sees her for how she really is, and becomes a Dark Wanderer so that he may find whomever he may need and pursue them to their end until his power grows enough for his eventual ascension to godhood and dethronement.
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
On the other hand, the Raven Queen was not killing her master, like Asmodeus did, and she quashed Nerull's scheme to overthrow the pantheon. The gods likely gave her godhood both out of gratitude and to appease her for the strictures they placed on her. And despite the fact the Raven Queen resents the gods for holding her down, she doesn't openly plot against them like Nerull did. The Raven Queen seems like a despot, but since her ambition is firmly kept in check, she just works to keep what she has, rather than try to reach for something that would likely get her kicked out of the pantheon.

And though they say enslavement, I think that may be too strong a word. The Raven Queen rewards those servants who work her will, making them sorrowsworn, or even Raven Knights in her service. And they serve not only willingly, but GLADLY. Remember that she only gets to keep souls that worship her, so those souls she "enslaves" aren't likely to complain, since they have an attitude similar to hers and they thought she was awesome while they were alive as well.

This would be consistent with previous material of the Raven Queen. However, that excerpt says she IS scheming against the gods (gaining Fate and Winter as aspects to make her more powerful in general, erasing her true name in an attempt to throw the god's restrictions off), and she DID kill her master (she killed him because she pridefully refused to be ruled by anyone, even a god. Not to stop him). She also would have kept the shades of Pluton under her domination if releasing them hadn't been the better option. She's a despot.
Planes Wanderer
Because that's what she was in like itself. She isn't evil, she's just a person who sees achievement as the main goal of existence. Basically a Shadar-Kai in God's Clothing.
Remember: She's a Goddess and she earned it through a struggle with Nerull. She earned control over his realm and put that guy in his place. The fact that she has to worm her way around the other members of the Pantheon to simply grab what is her right by being a God is the real travesty of the story. Plus, she has two forces working actively against her: Vecna (albeit less overtly) and Orcus.

Imagine if the U.S had fought off England, then France, Spain, Russia, Austria, Prussia said, "We still refuse to recognize your status as an independant state."
And besides, under further consideration, we should have gotten clues to the RQ's attitudes. Look at the fluff for the Shadar-Kai, her greatest act of mercy was to bring a tribe of humans to a plane that snuffs out life, so they have to constantly partake in activities of great pleasure and/or pain or they simply cease to exist.
Imagine if the U.S had fought off England, then France, Spain, Russia, Austria, Prussia said, "We still refuse to recognize your status as an independant state."

Not to mention, basically said something like, "Oh and we take half the land you own, and you can't fish these spots anymore and We will be watching you."

She was basically going to be forced to be a Sex object and instead gained power and resisted. Then, instead of doing what the god of death has rights to do "Enslaving souls and the like", shes told, Hey you can be a god of death, but the real powers you get aren't yours.

I'd be a little miffed, especially if a demon prince was out for my throne, and you also had to worry about Vecna, who is a bigger threat in my opinion, since you never know what hes up to. Unaligned means she does whats best for her, be it evil or good really. She has her own set of values which she follows, and sometimes they seem morally wrong to others, but to her, they are good in her eyes. Plus, she like many gods, dislikes undead, as they break a natural cycle.
Thinking you're good and doing evil doesn't make you unaligned, it makes you evil.

And the US metaphor would be more appropriate if we took the fight all the way to Europe, executed the royal family of Britian, then claimed the entire British Empire as ours and tried to start hoarding resources to be a super power. The other nations would understandably go "woah woah, hold on there."

(The fact that we became a super power under slower circumstances notwithsanding)
Planes Wanderer
First of all, she was already in Pluton, living (er...Being dead) there.
Two, she was selected by an evil God to be his b*tch.
Three, she fought back and won.
Four, she was cheated out of her rightful and complete apotheosis.

Seriously, Tiamat and Bahamut emerged from the blood of another God and are accepted. I'm not sure about the others, but Asmodeus has only lasted so long because he lives in his own stronghold of the Nine Hells. Seems to me the Gods simply didn't want any more competition.

In that instance, name one transgression she made against a God other than Nerull. Hell, who was she TAKING the Winter and Fate domains from? Doesn't the latter simply lead to her own domain of Death anyway?

She's trying to gain her power because it's HERS, she should have it because she is a Goddess like anyone else. How is it fair that she fought her battles, like Vecna fought Kas (or whatever) and goes on plotting and being otherwise sureptitious?

In any case, she has enemies. Powerful enemies. And she abandoned Pluton for her survival. Can you argue against that? When you've lost everything once, gained extreme power, and then have it slip from your hands once more?
I don't argue that she wasn't justified in fighting Nerull. I argue she did it for ultimately selfish reasons and the manner in which she did it was evil.

She didn't take the souls of Pluton from Nerull to weaken him, or to free the souls, she did it to grab power so she wouldn't have to answer to anyone or anything. When she DID free the souls under her dominion, she only did it for power, and she didn't even free all of them, just enough to make her as powerful as needed to win.

And the power she WAS looking for, need I remind you, was NERULL'S. The EVIL god of the dead. She wanted to replace an EVIL GOD in the exact same position. She wanted dominion over dead, not to free them from an evil god's grasp.

Also, Asmodeus "lasted so long" because he's already been punished. He and his devils can't leave Baator unless summoned. And Vecna never killed a god to gain godhood. He's left the gods well enough alone, except the Raven Queen. Tiamat and Bahamut never threatened any gods either, except maybe each other.

So what you have here is a mortal who strives to replace the evil god of death, because she's personally threatened with degredation. When she gets there, she doesn't try to do much better (See, enslavement). She's just as Evil as Nerull, the only difference is that the rest of the pantheon was able to keep her from being just as powerful as him.

Whether I think the Raven Queen should be any of this is not what I'm saying. I'm saying she shouldn't be evil and despotic and craving power and enslaving her own worshipers. Whoever wrote that blurb on her clearly didn't get it. She's supposed to be dispassionate with an air of lost love. Dark, gloomy, mysterious. Not power hungry, ambitious, and greedy. There's supposed to be an air of tragedy about her. And now you want me to swallow that "the only tragedy is her not rightfully being just as bad as Nerull." Oh, so sorry, I didn't realize I was supposed to have sympathy for tyrants.
Planes Wanderer
She's not evil, Nerull wanted to topple all the god and to do so mercilessly killed people to use them as fuel for his plans.

The RQ, a Queen in life, refused to be a bitc# for Nerrul and toppled him. Also, it is apparent, that she prides herself in attaining power for the sole purpose of attaining power. Th article mentions nothing of her wanting to oppress anyone. The only people enslaved to her are her most devout followers, people who want to be mindless yes-bots to her.

It's obvious that part of her dogma and behavior is the belief that achievement is the sole measuring stick of success in life. That's why she's the patron goddess of a society that is purely meritocratic and devoid of warm feelings.
Thinking you're good and doing evil doesn't make you unaligned, it makes you evil.
notwithsanding)

That's entirely opinion. Evil isn't a universal concept and never has been. Look at cannibalism, accepted in many civilizations as appropriate behavior, yet in our own society, it is considered an evil and barbaric act.

To state somethings evil, because you say its evil doesn't work. She was enslaved by an evil god, tried to gain power however she could (Not saying this is good) and broke the chains. Then the pantheon basically says, "We don't want you being powerful, so we won't let you be even if you have done what is required."

Being unaligned as I stated, means following your own rules. In D&D, enslaving is considered wrong and evil (So says the fluff anyway) However, the Raven queen is also against wanton destruction and killing, for she understands life and it's balance. Her decree is not Slaughter everyone so I may gain power, its punish those who try to ignore the natural order. (The aspect of death is her domain now, and is an accepted idea.)

The ends don't justify the means, hence her Unaligned state instead of EVIL. She could be argued as leaning more to the evil side, but not too much to not be judged evil.
Being unaligned as I stated, means following your own rules. In D&D, enslaving is considered wrong and evil (So says the fluff anyway) However, the Raven queen is also against wanton destruction and killing, for she understands life and it's balance. Her decree is not Slaughter everyone so I may gain power, its punish those who try to ignore the natural order. (The aspect of death is her domain now, and is an accepted idea.)

Of course it isn't. She wouldn't gain power. Death comes to everyone sooner or later, so she has as much power as "Death" will give her. However, once she gains ownership of "the Dead" then you better believe that she'd be up for as much slaughter as she could get away with. All so she would gain ownership of the souls of the dead that don't belong to any other god. All for power.

THATS the impression that that excerpt is giving off.

Like I said, I'm not going to cry any tears for her that she couldn't get her way and get the power she was "rightfully" due from murdering Nerull (Nerull was one of the original gods. The only person with "the right" to his power was him). The power over all unclaimed souls was evil, typified by the EVIL mass of ideas that embodied it, Nerull. Raven Queen wants that power.

(Also, if following your own rules was Unaligned, then Asmodeus would be king of Unaligned.)
Planes Wanderer
The Raven Queen is only interested in her own power, she cares not for the other gods and will leave them be.
Indeed. I don't think the Raven Queen is actively plotting against the other gods like Nerull did. I think she's just opportunistically grabbing power as it presents itself. She doesn't rock the boat because she knows that would get her into trouble, and while she resents the gods for putting their restrictions on her, she doesn't try to defy those limitations but rather work within them to get what she wants. She'd likely only oppose a god if they tried to meddle with her affairs further.

I'm reminded of how the middle class of England were sort of looked at as upstarts by the landed upper class. Sometimes the middle class were even wealthier than the upper class, and they did everything they could to seem like upper class people. I think the Raven Queen is kind of like that. She's got all the trappings of divinity, but the other gods sneer at her a bit because she wasn't born into it like they were, and that frustrates her as she tries to fit in.
I'm actually really disappointed. I had a Paladin of RQ in our last campaign, and my understanding of what her ethics were were unaligned but on the good side of things, basically for two reasons-

1) Destroy Undead (and presumably those who use them) - ok, an admittedly selfish act which may or may not have more to do with her war wih Orcus and consolodating her power.
2) DOn't let people escape their fate - typically the people who are most likely to engage in hubris and pushing their fate are evil people. The cleric that worships Pelor is less likely to wrest power from his god forcefully (and still be good) than some warlock plotting to take over the world (insert evil laughs).

Her third rule about death coming to everyone equally is just sort of a "people die - usually because they're mortal. deal with it." attitude. I played this generally through opposing the idea of a resurgent Dragonborn/Tiefling empire, since their time had past. It never came up, but...

I can imagine that my paladin would have been thoroughly ****** after death.