Name a Doppelganger!

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
What kind of names would a doppelganger have? Is it similar to human? elf? Any ideas of where to find a list?

I'm planning on having multiple names initially because my part would not know my true identity(doppelganger), but I want to have a true name, whereas the rest are fake names for the facades that I put on.
The closest i can get would be the Changelings in Eberron. The names section there states "Changeling names are usually monosyllabic and seem to other races more like nicknames than proper names." It lists Bin, Dox, Fie, Hars, Jin, Lam, Nit, Ot, Paik, Ruz, Sim, Toox, and Yug as examples.
I think that you should try to create a name on your own, something that sounds in a good way to you. Of course it's only an advice, but usually i hate to take a name from a list and play with it.
I think that you should try to create a name on your own, something that sounds in a good way to you. Of course it's only an advice, but usually i hate to take a name from a list and play with it.

I agree, but you also don't take a name like Elrin and give it to a dwarf. (Elrin obviously an Elven name).

There are certain naming structures for each race.
It's all about irony.

My doppelganger bard was Aletia, which is a Greek name meaning truth. Took the guises of Halisi, Mako, Satya, Verity, anything with the same meaning. (Actually came back to bite me, the DM had a detective-ish guard captain who gradually started catching on.)

Naozumi's another classic. Japanese, means Honesty and Innocence.

Find a good baby name site that contains the ability to search by meaning. Then find things with honor, virtue, or other symbols of good, upright character. ;)
Hmmm i think i understand what you're saying. Like "Elrindin, Erenil, Veredithil" and so on are elven names, because the "sound" elven, as "Mudrok, Bodrolf, Uddrarth" are dwarven names.

Well, in my opinion i'll search for very complex names (something like "Szissth", or sounds that remind you a creepy/sinister thing), middle lenght (about 4 or 7 letters).
Here's what I did:

Step 1. Roll 1d20 for the first consonent (1=b, 2=c etc. I left out Y.)

Step 2. Roll 1d6 for a vowel (1=a, 2=e etc.). If a 6 is rolled, roll again twice for two vowels, ignoring any further 6 results.

Step 3. Repeat step 1 for a final consonent.

I just kept doing that until I came up with a name I liked.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
If I recall correctly, changelings tend to have short, single-syllable names. I've always wanted to name mine (changeling whose form is ever-shifting, very capricious and whimsical wizard or feylock, when I eventually get to play instead of DMing) Od. :D
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.
I loved my Doppleganger's name, Rusty Shackleford.

Played him briefly during my group's "get to learn 4e" sessions. Oh, what fun.
If I ever get around to playing a doppelganger, I plan on naming them Ikol. It's Loki spelled backwards, and as we all know Loki was a god of lies.

Otecoy is an anagram for Coyote, another trickster deity, but of Native American origin.

If you want a more European feel, Puck is a very good one. If you want a list of Trickster deities, go here.
Varian.

It means 'fickle' or 'changeable' :D
Whenever I play as a doppelganger, I tend to not give him/her an actual name; I simply make up a name for whatever form I'm currently in.

Unless, of course, I'm disguised as a specific person; then I take their name.
"Nym"? As in "pseudonym".
Noh boddy Atol.

Help, nobody stole my wallet
nobody is killing me
save me from nobody
I'm going to kill nobody!

thank you greek epic poems
I can't help but imagine a Doppelganger would just be named by whatever form of it's currently manifesting. It's favourite form will always be referred to by the name of that form (Eg, it turns into a dude named Guy, his name is Guy).

Doppelgangers seem to me to be the very entity of identity dissonance, having no clear one of their own, but only those that they steal. The very epitome of dissociative identity disorder.
I can't help but imagine a Doppelganger would just be named by whatever form of it's currently manifesting. It's favourite form will always be referred to by the name of that form (Eg, it turns into a dude named Guy, his name is Guy).

Doppelgangers seem to me to be the very entity of identity dissonance, having no clear one of their own, but only those that they steal. The very epitome of dissociative identity disorder.

That is dependent upon how they are roleplayed. If they are played with the mindset of not having a true form, or a true form other than doppleganger, then I would agree. But some doppelgangers only use their other forms to hide from society's evil intent, suppressing their wanted natural form - which would have a name.
I once had a Doppleganger named Pseudo. Not sure how original it was, but it worked with the campaign and the character.
What kind of names would a doppelganger have? Is it similar to human? elf? Any ideas of where to find a list?

I'm planning on having multiple names initially because my part would not know my true identity(doppelganger), but I want to have a true name, whereas the rest are fake names for the facades that I put on.

According to 4e, from what I remember, Doppelgangers/Changelings are not raised by their parents, but given to someone else within a community. Preferably someone with a good upbringing. Even though the parents won't raise their own...they will stay close to guide their child when it finds out that it can shift shapes. Usually the true parents are in service of the aristocrat which adopted their child.

The children are forced to stick to one shape as their main shape and that is how they will perceive their own true shape through life. In their early years not even knowing that they are changelings. They grow up in communities taking names as normally given to anyone from that race.
Our game uses the single syllable naming convention. We have Xat and Bee, the two PC doppelgangers, as well as Jil, Dev, Sil, Lim, and Ael as NPCs. And I like Noh.
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray
Odo?

I had a Doppelganger NPC made up - "her" (it tended to take female form more often than male) name was Baniel. Not sure why I picked that though.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Doppelganger's name - from Bob to Ssissyssis. Just, don't call it Morpheus. Too many bad puns and Matrix-references can kill a game. ;)
I think that Doppelgangers would change names just like they would change shapes.

Example: for some people getting a radically different hair is to symbolise a different phase in their life. The name of doppelgangers being one part of their persona that stays longer than their respective looks, could treat this the same way.
That kind of names would probably something simple, unique or something that has a special meaning to them. First memory, special occasion, fallen friend, etc.
I think that Doppelgangers would change names just like they would change shapes.

I made mention of this in the first post. Each form has it's own name. That's why I wanted a name for his natural form.
I made mention of this in the first post. Each form has it's own name. That's why I wanted a name for his natural form.

I actually messed up that sentence by thinking of the fact that doppelgangers change shape a lot.

The sentence should be "Doppelgangers would change names just like most people change hairstyles."

A person is pretty consistent with hairstyles through phases of their life and only changes them for specific reasons (even if it it's along the lines of not liking it anymore).
Races of Eberron suggested that there are three types of changelings; those who never change from their natural forms in order to be open about their nature (reality seekers), those who never change from a false form in order to hide their nature (passers), and those who are ever-changing, adopting many identities and lives while concealing their true nature (becomers).

Because I'm the contrary sort, I immediately came up with Od, who fits none of these categories. Zie is open about being a changeling but demonstrates it by being mercurial and ever-changing rather than holding zir natural form all the time. Zie could begin a conversation as a grandmotherly dwarf and end it looking like a rakish elven lad. The moments in between can be quite interesting indeed.

Eberron has some changeling communities (founded by reality seekers), allowing individuals to have a home life among their people just like any other race, but there's still an incidence of changelings living up to their name; a passer who bears a changeling child (which cannot control their shapechanging for the first couple of years and always revert to their natural form while sleeping) may well swap zir child for a non-changeling's, effectively making the unpassable progeny someone of another race's problem, meaning there are plenty of 'grew up as an elf' backgrounds too.
(I employ zie/zie/zir as a gender-neutral counterpart to he/him/his. Just a heads-up.) Essentials definitely isn't for me as a player, and I feel that its design and implementation bear serious flaws which fill me with concern for the future of D&D, but I've come to the conclusion that it isn't going to destroy the game that I want to play. Indeed, I think that I could probably run a game for players using Essentials characters without it being much of a problem at all. Time will tell, I suppose.
What do people think of changing gender? I had thought to just keep it in the same gender (Male), how many others use both?
Seeing as humans in the real world already change genders (some only in the weekend), I think that doppelgangers have no qualms about it. Though it might be an interesting idea for a character to play a doppelganger that blatantly refuses to change into the 'weaker' gender (which could be male or female).
I actually have doppelgangers as collecters of names, they may change their form when they go about their business but they like people to know who they are when they're speaking to them.

Wheft-Captain Quintone Longshone the Shadow-Catcher of Bythorn
Honor-Duchess Erimoan Verterri the Glamour-Touched of Perrimount

Bare in mind, they just stick titles on themselves, they are rarely captains or nobles. :D
Dop L. Ganger III.
Dop L. Ganger III.

*lights you a cigar*
You the man.