Names For A Knightly Order

51 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, Drackthor here once again, some of you might remember awhile back I submitted two of my characters, Dyrath the Lightbringer and 'Father' Abraham Devidicus, for your review. Well, now I need a good name for an order of knights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Two things:
Nothing to do with the word 'Rose'. I just find 'Knights of the [Blank] Rose' horrendously overdone.
These knights are Good, so any title involving Lawful Good, Good, or (despite not being in Official 4E my group still uses it) some Chaotic Good is valid for consideration.

Thank you once again, Chardev!
-Drack
A name for a group usually has something to do with the origin, history or characteristics of that group.

As an example, the Holy Order of Bearers of Steel, or Steelbearers, is a group of Dwarven Fighters and Warlords. Their arms and armor were invented by a small group of Cleric smiths who were inspired by Moradin, God of the Forge.

Could you tell us more about your order of knights?
In MtG they used "Order of the White Orchid." It's still a flower, but c'mon. Orchid? I find it awesome.

As already mentioned, it would help if you mention the order's history.

Random names that crossed my head.

Order of the Last Citadel (based on a legacy weapon found in ToB)
Order of the Broken Shield
Order of the Lightbearers
Order of the Sunfist
Order the Eyes of Justice
Order of the Justified Wrath
The Knights of the Shattered Crown

Lords of Exile

Guardians of the Silver Temple

Wardens of the Sacred Oath

Knights of the Saphire Throne

Just some random ones I put together. Hope one of em strikes yer fancy or yer own imagination.
Order of the Dracul (cookie for anyone who gets the reference).
Order of the Smashing Pumpkins. an order of sword wielding arcane knights, thier goddesses are the Siamese Dreams, they call thier soldier's gishes, thier artifical leader is called Lord Zeitgeist "the Machina". and the catch phrase amongst those of captain and higher is "despite all my rage, i'm still just a rat in a cage. some say what is lost can never be saved." thier mood is always "Mellon Collie and the Infinite sadness"
From TES II: Daggerfall

Host of the Horn
Host of the True Horn
Knights of the Flame
Knights of the Dragon
Knights of the Owl
(Knights of the Rose)
Knights of the Wheel
Order of the Candle
Order of the Hawk
Order of the Raven
Order of the Scarab
Knights of Iron
Knights of the Circle
Maran Knights
Order of the Hour
Order of the Lily
The Ebon Knights

Order of Order
(what.)
Ugh. Last night I typed out a good, long list of things this order is about, and it was eaten up by the forums. Disappointing. No point crying over spilled milk, I suppose. I'll do my best to recreate it.

• Every knight, upon ascending to a certain rank (or level, in PC case), is tasked with enchanting and naming his weapon.

• The order is dedicated to no single good deity, but is supportive of all of them. The true focus of the order, first and foremost, is the cause of Good as a whole.

• The order was first started to repel an invading army from the city in which the order started.

• The original city in which the order formed is it's headquarters, but it has expanded to many different branches in different cities across the continent.
  • It is ruled by a council of six and one Lord Protector, the Protector is essentially the Chairman of the council.

• Originally, the leader was a paladin of great power and pure heart that took six candidates to train, each to become a paragon of righteousness.

• It is customary for each Knight, at one point in their career, to donate a sizeable sum of gold to the order to be used on training, food, arms, armor, and donated to those in need.

• It has an opposed-but-not-hostile faction, Strength of Arms, a mercenary group that has no qualms on taking the 'dirty' jobs, and the two groups have on rare occasion run into eachother in the field.

• It has an ally faction, The Righteous Flame, an order of spellcasters of all races and creed, that are like the Order in that they are dedicated to the cause of Good.

Undoubtedly more info than you needed, but hey, if you go to the trouble of writing this stuff, why not share it, right? :P
The Order of the Blameless Sword-works as a counterpoint to the Order of the Righteous Flame, especially as the two words (Blameless and Righteous) are synonyms.
looks like you added just enough information.

I think the order is The Strength of Ourburg. It was established when the nobles in Ourburg gathered under the banner of Henry the Just. A fervent follower of Pelor, he wanted to call the group the Strength of Pelor, but wisely chose Strength of Ourburg to unify the nobles who served other powers of good. Some of the nobility served other, Unaligned powers, but they served well, indoctrinated under the concept of Noblesse Oblige (an Eladrin term that means the nobility are obliged to protect and provide for those over whom they rule).

After the order managed to oust the invaders, the Strength of Ourburg went about the task of liberating the holdings of the nobles, no small task, but Right makes Might, and so they were successful. After the War of Liberation, the Unaligned nobles wanted to keep honing their skills, this time for more concrete reward. They established the Strength of Arms, originally a fraternal partner to the Strength of Ourburg, but quickly becoming a mercenary organization.

The custom of making one's weapon - and learning the ritual to enchant the weapon comes from the origin of the Strength of Ourburg making their own weapons in their desperate struggle to liberate their city from its captors. The custom of a donation to those in need is also a reenactment of the Strength giving to the liberated peasants to help in reconstruction.

The Righteous Flame was started by those nobles who were mages. These were the ones who originally taught their fellows the ritual of enchantment. They remain on good terms with both the Strength of Pelor and the Strength of Arms.

Okay - that's what they are in one universe. Who wants to go next? :D

(added later)

This knightly order just begs for a Paragon Path

requirements would be proficient in Martial Weapons and knowing Enchantment ritual, an presumably being in one of the cities that has a branch of this order. Also must have made and enchanted a martial weapon.

I have no idea what powers the order would have :P
Order of the Dracul (cookie for anyone who gets the reference).

Order of the Dragon.. Didn't they have a famous member named Vlad Tepes? I think he was also known as Dracula, or son of the dragon. Before the vampire stuff of course.
Order of the Dragon.. Didn't they have a famous member named Vlad Tepes? I think he was also known as Dracula, or son of the dragon. Before the vampire stuff of course.

His father actually was a member of the Ordo Dracul, which is why Vlad was sometimes called Voivode Dracula. (Translated often as Count Dracula).
Tangent

Historical note: the Ordo Dracul was formed to get the turks out of eastern europe, and was one of the few mostly eastern european knighthoods. Its mission was ultimately failure (by about 1550 or so, all of the former byzantine empire was encompassed by the Ottoman's, Hungary almost was, but instead got absorb by the Hapsburg-empire (aka: Austria).

Ontopic:
Order of the Peerless Sun.
Just wanted to say, many of these are just killing me due to so many being good suggestions but not what fits this particular idea of the Order I have in my mind.

Keep 'em coming!
This knightly order just begs for a Paragon Path

requirements would be proficient in Martial Weapons and knowing Enchantment ritual, an presumably being in one of the cities that has a branch of this order. Also must have made and enchanted a martial weapon.

Well, if you'd like to give it a shot, or know a friend who might be interested, I'd wholeheartedly support it!

However, I'd suggest the paragon path includes teaching the Enchant ritual, so that after taking the PP he can enchant his weapon. That way after the person has become a Knight of this order (IE taken this PP) he'll now be taught how to enchant and name his weapon.

Just my two copper, though.
Wardens of the Shining Gate.
The order's roots lie with the group of warriors who actually defended "the Shining Gate" in the besieged city. From that origin as a regular division of the city watch, the order has grown, taking with it the name of the particular gate which opened onto the temple district. As it spread, the example of their heroic defense against the dark horde became an inspiration to noble hearts everywhere. Soon, the Shining Gate became a symbol of the defense of all that is good and the willingness and ability to drive back the forces of darkness.

The Sword of Light.
Not "Swords" but "Sword" emphasizing the unity of purpose and brotherhood. Individuals often take upon themselves the title "Sword," or "Spear," or whatver their weapon of choice, and address each other with that title. Many outside the order have the idea that there is some kind of ranking system, such that a "Sword" is a higher rank than "Spear" and an "Axe" is somewhere in between, but in fact the chosen weapon-title has nothing to do with rank, being just an honorary and symbolic salutation.

Hearts of Oak
Taking the strength and nobility of the might oak tree as their symbol - or, perhaps, naming themselves after the construction of the strong gates they defended when the Order was first formed - the Hearts of Oak stand as pillars of strength in the land. They are strong enough to stand against the storms of evil and disaster, like the mighty oak; the wide reach of the Order protects the innocent from evil, much like the wide branches and leaves of an oak tree protects children from the burning sun. When making their perosnal weapon, a sliver of oak is always included in the haft or hilts, as a symbol and reminder of the duty and strength to which the Hearts are called.
Hmmm....my 2 cp's worth...

Sentinels of the Six
Knights of the Six
Order of the Six
Sentinels of [insert name of their hometown here]
The Six Guardians/Sentinels/Wardens/Etc.

Seeing a pattern??? LOL
Order of Out

No, but seriously, the following are factions in my games:
- The Guardians of the Veil
- The Keepers of the Granite Gate
- The Keepers of the Obsidian Gate
- The Orchid's Thorn

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Well, if you'd like to give it a shot, or know a friend who might be interested, I'd wholeheartedly support it!

However, I'd suggest the paragon path includes teaching the Enchant ritual, so that after taking the PP he can enchant his weapon. That way after the person has become a Knight of this order (IE taken this PP) he'll now be taught how to enchant and name his weapon.

Just my two copper, though.

Incorporate the ritual as a benefit of the PP - well done! your is definitely worth a
Order of the Dawn-blade
Order of the Caphion's Descent (That is opposed to Starlocks)
Order of Akoshian Jewels.
Order of the White Opal
The Ardent Onslaught (good aligned mis-match of undead slayers in my campaign)

Crusaders of the Scarlet Lion (evil aligned group of divine/martial classes in my campaign)
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

For a 3.5 campaign I had planned on running (but ended up scrapping), I had three knightly orders central to the story.

Order of the Devout Betrayal

Brotherhood of the Stained Glass

Knights of the Grimoire

Their origins and relationships to one another is irrelevant at this point, but if you like the names you are more than welcome to use them.
I'm actually looking forward to D&D Next. I think that every edition had some really awesome qualities, and every edition has truly awful design flaws. I don't expect Next to be any different, but if WotC is actively trying to incorporate the good bits into one unified whole, then I do expect it to be worth playing.
They were founded repelling a siege. So the name should apply to what took place. I like Dawn since it implies the end of night.

Now, I would say you make up an ancient root word that they took, since they obviously have some magical knowledge, they would likely be learned. So in this instance I just came up with 'San' said with a long as in Ahhh.

Their name would translate to Defenders or Guardians of the Dawn, but the literal translation should be Holders of the light.

In this case I just fudged something like San' a te Dumaen. San' a for short (Sahhn a).

I am a dork like that though
Brotherhood of Steel, a neo-knightly order from the Fallout 3 video game. They're best known for their use of high-tech weaponry and power armor.
/\ Art
Brotherhood of Steel, a neo-knightly order from the Fallout 3 video game. They're best known for their use of high-tech weaponry and power armor.

Ah, a game near and dear to my heart. Unfortunately(?) I play D&D with a group full of Fallout 3 players, and using the name would be recognized instantly and get me a slap in the head. :P
The Knights who Say... "Ni!"

More correctly, from the entire Fallout series. The BoS has been in the games since Fallout, although their presence was somewhat diminished in Fallout 2

On topic:

Dawn Knights

Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart (cookie for the reference).
My suggestion would be Sol Invictus, meaning Unconquered Sun. It is shamelessly stolen from history. I used it as a group of Pelor's Elite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sol_Invictus

EDIT: I meant to say that they are the Elite that will do whatever is needed in the name of good.
I will cease to exist as I am now, only to be reborn a God to rule over every soul.
The Knights of Dawn
The Knight Outriders
The Knights of Bastion's Dawn
The Knights of Dispatch

are a few that have been formed from your suggestions. I also liked the idea of using the word 'Citadel' and have been using the always-useful online thesaurus for a few variations thereof:

• Knights of The Angelic Citadel
  • Knights of The Sterling Citadel
  • Knights of The Sublime Citadel
  • Knights of The Revered Citadel
  • Knights of The Hallowed Citadel
  • Knights of The Righteous Citadel
  • Knights of The Divine Citadel
  • Knights of The Unyielding Citadel
  • Knights of The Sacred Citadel
  • Knights of The Shining Citadel
  • Knights of The Sovereign Citadel
  • Knights of The Stalwart Citadel
  • Knights of The Everlasting Citadel

Sorry, just had to get all my ideas that you have all been so kind as to make possible out of my head and into (virtual) reality. Any thoughts, revisions, or new suggestions? All of which are very much welcomed and appreciated!
A splinter group dedicated to the Rose order through "lesser" means, all known to use wooden daggers. "Order of the Bramble."-"A thorn in the side of those who deal in the dark."
Every knight, upon ascending to a certain rank (or level, in PC case), is tasked with enchanting and naming his weapon.
Bankai! serriously, any weapon? Are there factions within for certain weapons? Are they all melee weapons?

The order is dedicated to no single good deity, but is supportive of all of them. The true focus of the order, first and foremost, is the cause of Good as a whole.
The order of the offering hand

The order was first started to repel an invading army from the city in which the order started.
The order of the steadfast tower

The original city in which the order formed is it's headquarters, but it has expanded to many different branches in different cities across the continent.
It is ruled by a council of six and one Lord Protector, the Protector is essentially the Chairman of the council.
Order of the six/Seven Stars "There will always be a star shining down on the order, day or night."

Originally, the leader was a paladin of great power and pure heart that took six candidates to train, each to become a paragon of righteousness.
Order of the six/seven shards The origional paladin's holy avenger shattered in battle. Rather than reforge the blade and infight over who would wield the blade, they melted the sword down into six/seven ingots each leader had forged into a weapon of their own choosing.

It is customary for each Knight, at one point in their career, to donate a sizeable sum of gold to the order to be used on training, food, arms, armor, and donated to those in need.
Order of the open purse An order dedicated to easing the burden of those in need, often is a single gold coin delivered in person by these knights on a persons birthday.

It has an opposed-but-not-hostile faction, Strength of Arms, a mercenary group that has no qualms on taking the 'dirty' jobs, and the two groups have on rare occasion run into eachother in the field.
Order of the skillful steel It's not about anger - it's about peace. It's not about power - it's about grace. It's not about knowing your enemy - it's about knowing yourself.

It has an ally faction, The Righteous Flame, an order of spellcasters of all races and creed, that are like the Order in that they are dedicated to the cause of Good.
Order of the angelic arms "Goodness guides my hand, my hand guides my weapon, feel now the fury of my fealty."
More correctly, from the entire Fallout series. The BoS has been in the games since Fallout, although their presence was somewhat diminished in Fallout 2

I haven't been able to put Fallout 3 down since I bought it a couple of weeks ago ;). It's the only game I've played of the series.

On topic:

Most Noble Order of the Radiant Heart (cookie for the reference).

The first time I remember seeing a reference to this order of knighthood was in the Complete Paladin's Handbook (a supplement for AD&D 2nd edition). I also seem to remember there was a quest in Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn involving a member of the Radiant Heart (Keldorn, I believe). Been a few years since I last played that game.

Do I get a cookie :P?
/\ Art
Trägern - "In Grace, take up thy standard, brother, and join us at the Wall"

This should be unusual, since it is in German. It means Bearers, as in standard bearers. These men carried Lances into battle,each bearing the standard of a good god. The first of them were granted the enchanted Lances by the gods they each represented. It was traditional for new members to also enchant a Lance as their primary weapon, since it could also act as a Standard to Rally the Troops. While this tradition remains, it has lapsed recently and now members also enchant other melee weapons as well.

As a PP, this could allow Warlords, fighters, swordmages and Paladins. Members of this PP could not only learn an enchant ritual, but also design their own standard, and gain access to a few Leader powers to rally the troops.
i would allow swordmages as well
I haven't been able to put Fallout 3 down since I bought it a couple of weeks ago ;). It's the only game I've played of the series.

You should go back and play the others, more RPG that 3 was.

The first time I remember seeing a reference to this order of knighthood was in the Complete Paladin's Handbook (a supplement for AD&D 2nd edition). I also seem to remember there was a quest in Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn involving a member of the Radiant Heart (Keldorn, I believe). Been a few years since I last played that game.

Do I get a cookie :P?

Yes, you do. the order comes from BG2: Shadows of Amn

Knights of the Round Table

what? someone had to say it.

• Every knight, upon ascending to a certain rank (or level, in PC case), is tasked with enchanting and naming his weapon.

• The order is dedicated to no single good deity, but is supportive of all of them. The true focus of the order, first and foremost, is the cause of Good as a whole.

• The order was first started to repel an invading army from the city in which the order started.

• The original city in which the order formed is it's headquarters, but it has expanded to many different branches in different cities across the continent.
  • It is ruled by a council of six and one Lord Protector, the Protector is essentially the Chairman of the council.

• Originally, the leader was a paladin of great power and pure heart that took six candidates to train, each to become a paragon of righteousness.

• It is customary for each Knight, at one point in their career, to donate a sizeable sum of gold to the order to be used on training, food, arms, armor, and donated to those in need.

• It has an opposed-but-not-hostile faction, Strength of Arms, a mercenary group that has no qualms on taking the 'dirty' jobs, and the two groups have on rare occasion run into eachother in the field.

• It has an ally faction, The Righteous Flame, an order of spellcasters of all races and creed, that are like the Order in that they are dedicated to the cause of Good.

The origin of the order reminds me of Broadsword, by Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull)

I see a dark sail on the horizon set under a black
cloud that hides the sun.

Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.

Bring me my broadsword and clear understanding.
Bring me my cross of gold as a talisman.
Bless with a hard heart those who surround me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind. Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on for the motherland.

Cribbing from this, I would suggest that the Lord Protector wields the sword of the original leader, which grants a Wisdom bonus. 4e doesn't have a broadsword, but I have seen the term used historically to refer to a larger than usual sword, so it could be either long or bastrd. The golden talisman, the other great relic of the order, would create a zone which gives a bonus against fear effects, and maybe saving throws. If you don't want to use a symbol tied to a RL religion, replace cross with something else. I would suggest "shield", which ties in with the equipage of a protecting paladin, and with the defensive origins of the order. Going with this, "Knights/Order of the Golden Shield" could work, although many other good names have been suggested.
Knights of the Round Table

what? someone had to say it.

i see watchu did thar

how about.. ahem. drum roll please..

the knights who say ni
Show
I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and selfish. I act mostly for my own benefit, but I respect and help my community - Specially when it helps me. At best, I'm loyal and dedicated; at worst, I'm elitist and shrewd.
What Clan are you? There is no equality. There exists only equity.
4e doesn't have a broadsword, but I have seen the term used historically to refer to a larger than usual sword, so it could be either long or bastrd.

Ah ah ah! 4e DOES have a broadsword. It can be found in the section on weapons in Adventurer's Vault.
Knights of the Fertile Camel.
Ah ah ah! 4e DOES have a broadsword. It can be found in the section on weapons in Adventurer's Vault.

Okay, you caught me. AV is one book I haven't looked very much at. What stats does it have now? In 1e&2e it had a slightly shorter but broader blade than a longsword, and did 2d4 vs Small and Medium opponents and 1d6+1 vs Large, while the longsword did 1d8/1d12.
From my understanding, it does 1d10 damage instead of the longsword's 1d8, but has a +2 prof bonus instead of the longsword's +3.
Sign In to post comments