Good Name for a Spider Companion

38 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm playing a drow beast companion ranger with a spider companion, and, thus far, have been unable to come up with a name for the spider. The campaign I'm in doesn't have the usual associated drow fluff; as far as I can tell, they lack any connection to the Spider Queen and aren't any more evil than humans.

So far, the best names my friends have suggested are "Squitter" and "Chupoclops Jr." You can see why I don't want to go with that.

Can anyone here suggest a good name?
So far, the best names my friends have suggested are "Squitter" and "Chupoclops Jr." You can see why I don't want to go with that.

My last necromancer once called a giant badass skeleton under his control "Mockingbird", just because my friends suggested that name and I loved it.
:D
And sometimes, the comedic/ironic/anticlimactic name is perfectly appropriate, and adds to the game. In this case, however, I do not wish my friends to picture my companion as a giant spider wearing sneakers.
Off the top of my head:

Legs

Sparkles (for the glistening fangs and eyes)

-something using "Kumo" (japanese for spider, I think)

Tubby (big thorax)

OK, better names:

VENOM
Fangs

That's all I got. Any idea if the spider is female or male?

Casual Magic player since 2003 (Onslaught Block). 60% Johnny, 40% Timmy. Want a free, graphics-based, collection database to inventory your cards? I made one! Feedback welcome. Program runs offline, includes powerful search options, art, Oracle text, data import/export, and a rigorously updated list of every card ever printed. VersionĀ 5.13 (Theros) now available!

So. Green needs an iconic creature type, eh? How about wurms!

One Billion Words - 1001 Fantasy Landscapes: Share DnD-ish landscapes for use in homebrew campaigns!

Boris
I was looking for something a bit more "elven" in flavor. He is an elf, and would probably name his companion in his native language. A few "nicknames" in "Common" might be a good idea, though.

As for gender, I don't know (although I presume that the character does). I'm planning to choose name first, then gender.
Charlotte. :P
Shelob
Ungoliant
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
The 3.5 book Races of the Wild has some good lexicons for the main races profiled in the book (Elves, Halflings, and Raptorans). I think that might be a good place to look. Also, I remember that the 2nd Edition book Drow of the Underdark had more than a few pages full of Drow names (male, female and Houses).
Since you're looking for maybe a name that could be translated back into common, let's go with Races of the Wild, though. I'll jot down some name fragments and you can mash up whatever you like. Take one or more from the first part and one or more from the second. Flavor with apostrophe/s and you're good to go.

Ah Crafty, Sly
Ang Glitter
Bael Guardian
Cael Archer, Arrow
Cor Legend, Legendary
Eir Sharp
Mai Shadow
Nim Deep
Fera Champion
Fir Dark
Kor Black
La Night
Laf Moon
Ly Wolf
Rum Meadow
Ry Jade
Sae Wood
Syl Faerie
Tahl Blade
Tha Vigil, Vigilence
Vil Finger, Point
Za Royal
Zy Ivory

-ae (-nae) Whisper
-ali Shadow
-am/-ama Strider
-as (-ash, -sah) Bow, Fletcher
-ath By, Of, With
-avel Sword
-deth (-eath, -eth) Eternal
-er (-erl, -ern) Winter
-hal (-ahal, -ihal) Pale, Subtle
-ik Might, Mighty
-in (-inar, -ine) Brother, Sister, Sibling
-las Wild
-mil (-imil, -umil) Bond, Promise
-mus Ally, companion
-on/-onna Keep, Keeper
-rah (-rae, -raee) Beast
-rad (-rahd) Leaf
-rail/-ria (-ara,-ral,-ryl) Hunt, Hunter
-ro (-ri,-ron) Walker, Walks
-sar (-asar, -isar) Quest, Seeker
-ten (-iten) Spinner
-thar (-ethr, -ithar) Friend
-ther (-ather, -thir) Armor, Protection
-via (-avia) Good fortune, Luck
-vin (avin) Storm
-vain (-avain) Spirit
-zair/-zara (-azair/ezara) Lightning

Looking at the chart, it seems that Aramil of 3rd edition's name meant Golden Promise. The Ruathar prestige class was the elven word for Dream Friend.

Actually, Ruathar would be a great and fitting name for any elf's animal companion.

The 3rd edition books on Drow probably have plenty of names ripe for plucking, but I've got to get back to work right now. Good luck!
Carlotta
(sorry, had to put in the GW reference... if you never played Prophesies this won't mean a thing)
A note to all who think I am being aggressive or angry- 99% of the time, I do not intend to be. I apologize if you think I am attacking you, odds are very strong that I am not. The only exceptions are when people become extremely uncivil to me, and even then I usually ignore them. I think it is very obvious when I am really mad; if I just seem generally abrasive, it is a reflection of my thought process rather than a state of emotion. I have the greatest respect for those who can debate rationally, even if we come to different conclusions. I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
Squish
Parker (spiderman reference)
Thread
Silk

I have persoanly used Trapdoor (from the trapdoor spider) for my game as part of a challenge team. twin drow: a drow druid with spider form and a drow beastmaster ranger with a spider animal companion. When the party approaches they see a drow sitting with two spiders, never suspecting the shape change untill it is too late and a lot of damage later.
Kurogumo (Black spider, it's japanese)

Anansii (it's african, and a folk hero who was a spider)
Mother (most big spiders are female, after all...)
Crusty (the exoskeleton vibe)
Webber (or Weber, especially if it's a flame spider...)

or a variation of any of these... http://www.virginiacheeseman.co.uk/ScientificSpiderNames.htm
"The little Courtesan" (perhaps Courti for short)
(Oh...her? Don't worry-she just wants to give you a little kiss):P
Squitter is the best name. Donkey Kong references FTW!
What's the Undercommon word for "Eight"?

Eight would be a great name. It's also pun-worthy (Look at what your pet eight! I mean ate! Whatever!)

Edit: "Lael" is the drow for eight, according to some drow dictionary found in the interwebs.
Spiderpig!
"Arachne" sounds elven, but it may be a bit too obvious.
astralArchivist.com - 4e D&D house rules, homebrew, and story hours - now featuring ENWorld's Zeitgeist adventure path! Will Thibault is a winged, feathered serpent rarely found anywhere except in warm, jungle-like regions or flying through the ether. Due to his intelligence and powers he is regarded with awe by the inhabitants of his homelands and is considered to be divine.
Ocho
You could name her Shelob after the spider in the LotR's novels?
I'm going to have to go with the Bobby's World reference. Name him Webbly
IMAGE(http://www.kabillion.com/img/games/gfx/game_tile_9.jpg)
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
Kitty.

Seriously.
[Witch Hazel]"You remind me of Paul... my pet tarantula"[/Witch Hazel]
Squeedily-Spooch
:D
Fluffy.
I played a Half Orc sorcerer with a spider familiar named "Bug"
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray
I'm definitely seconding Anansi. Even sounds Elven.

Ocho reminds me of the old Herbie movies. I can't decide if that's good or bad...
Fluffy would be great...

But I'd go with Ahali as from the stuff above it would be "Crafy Shadow" and that just feels spider-y.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Boris

I love it.
WoTC has gotten rid of the forums I came to know and love, if you think that the old Gleemax forums should be restored, add this to your signature.
Attercop
Spino (Spin-noh) Latin for spider I think. Or Shackleton.
I always used Shackleton for my caster's raven familiar.
I love when people name drop Pathfinder on wizard's comments and forums like it some sort of threat. "I don't like you D&D, you've changed. I'm going steady with Pathfinder now, he reminds me of how you used to be. Broken and easy to exploit"
My favorite was Fluffy the Crocodile...

Just seemed like the right name.

Spiders deserve something good. Octavius is always cool. Threads, or alternatively Duds. Artemis.

Ahali, Anansi, Boris.

Bob.

And of course: Squick.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
Ask any 3 year old with a "pet spider" in a jar...

Fred

sometimes

George
Amazed at how obtuse people can be since 1972.
Attercop

Lazylob!

The Hobbit FTW!
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray
Chesmu.

It means "gritty."
As a DM, anytime I have a named spider, I like to pull names of villainous females from literature. Previous named spiders have included Goneril, Cersei, DeWinter, Bellatrix, and Livia.

One of my current RPGA characters has a spider companion named Clytemnestra.
I vote for, "Legs".