What to do with a flaming skull?

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
Okay this one needs some backstory, so those of you with the mental fortitude for a nice little paragraph or two, read on. For the TLDR version, see below.

TLDR: I have a flaming skull. It was created my necromantic magic, and I froze it but chose not to kill it. I am a level 1 sorcerer and looking for interesting ideas on what to do with it.

Long Version: I am playing a level 1 Genasi dragon-magic sorcerer, though I have pitched it more as master over the elements than dragon-origin magic as genasi in general dislike dragonborn (its a Forgotten Realms thing). During an encounter around an alter dedicated to Grummsh we tripped some sort of trap or dormant magic.

Four animated flaming skulls erupted from magical torches around the room and attacked us. They did 1d8+2 fire damage at range, so with my 7 fire resistance I'm fairly safe from them. I knocked one down and froze it solid with a dragonfrost attack, but chose not to kill it. Now I have a rabid necromantic skull on ice which, if I allow it to thaw, will burst into flames and try to eat me. He's cute, and doesn't hurt much. We haven't identified what creature the skull came from, but I've already named him Bob.

My DM allowed me, due to my knowledge of elemental magic and arcana in general, to (with a suitably impressive series of 25+ arcana checks) essentially 'deactivate' the skull until we can safely contain it. This turns off the fiery aura and makes it dormant, and lets me carry it in a sack rather than freezing it over and over.

My question to you, the forum that I've enjoyed for so long, is what the heck do I do with it? I have an extremely angry animated flaming undead skull of unknown origin. My character worships Baazim-Gorag, and is batshit crazy sometimes... hence why I'm toying with an undead of evil origin. It probably drives my DM nuts to, but so far he's rolled with it.
First I would ask my DM if I can arcana check it into total submission or reset its controls. From there you now have a flaming skull familiar/animal companion. (animal companion for the raptor beastmaster ranger and familiar will be released soon in arcane power coming out next month) As the DM it would be treated as your next major magical item for the dungeon. (There was a magical rapier but it seems a chest was thrown or dropped on it, breaking it and ruining the magic. However you do have your floatng skull and learn the keyword needed to bind it to you instead from the wizards book.)
I'd recommend looking at the familiar feat in this preview article (no need for a DDI subscription to see it).

Ask your DM if you skull buddy couldn't act as a bound demon familiar for now. When Arcane Power comes out, maybe there will be a familiar template that's more appropriate.
First I would ask my DM if I can arcana check it into total submission or reset its controls. From there you now have a flaming skull familiar/animal companion. (animal companion for the raptor beastmaster ranger and familiar will be released soon in arcane power coming out next month) As the DM it would be treated as your next major magical item for the dungeon. (There was a magical rapier but it seems a chest was thrown or dropped on it, breaking it and ruining the magic. However you do have your floatng skull and learn the keyword needed to bind it to you instead from the wizards book.)

Excellent idea!

I'd recommend looking at the familiar feat in this preview article (no need for a DDI subscription to see it).

Ask your DM if you skull buddy couldn't act as a bound demon familiar for now. When Arcane Power comes out, maybe there will be a familiar template that's more appropriate.

Wow I hadn't realized they released a preview of the Familiar feat. I guess having a floating flaming skull would certainly explain a +2 to intimidate, and it being an evil necromantic construct may explain its ability to let me read/speak abyssal. The other effect is gravy, should I choose to risk him.

Is there any word on what happens when a familiar dies? That says it 'vanishes for a while' but any idea how long? Likely until you take an extended rest, as most things are tied to the short/extended rest system.

I wonder if he'd also allow it to give off light as a torch, since it is a flaming skull. Hm.
Now I have a rabid necromantic skull on ice which, if I allow it to thaw, will burst into flames and try to eat me.

I find this line hilarious. :D
I find this line hilarious. :D

Hehehe, thanks. My DM says he's probably okay with the familiar idea. What sort of personality would a hungry bound necromantic flameskull have do you think?
Have any of you ever read the dresden files? This kinda reminds me of that (although the talking skull in there isnt on fire..... or frozen..) But the skull in there is a know it all that loves reading... romantic books. It asks for payment in romantic novels. If it has an opinion, it lets it be known (to its "owner"), especially about women and why the main character should be going out with... or why he is crazy to not be with someone...

Just wanted to add that in...
Have any of you ever read the dresden files? This kinda reminds me of that (although the talking skull in there isnt on fire..... or frozen..) But the skull in there is a know it all that loves reading... romantic books. It asks for payment in romantic novels. If it has an opinion, it lets it be known (to its "owner"), especially about women and why the main character should be going out with... or why he is crazy to not be with someone...

Just wanted to add that in...

Well, I did name the skull Bob. :P

That would be amusing. The demonic flaming skull has a refined gentleman personality and is actually quite eloquent when not biting random pedestrians.
Well, I did name the skull Bob. :P

That would be amusing. The demonic flaming skull has a refined gentleman personality and is actually quite eloquent when not biting random pedestrians.

Bob: "Yes, yes, that is a very fine elven wine you have over...(Town Guard walks by)... Tear his eyes out!!! Let me at him let me at him... i will make him bleed..."
Guard: "Did you just threaten me? Your under arrest"
You: "What the heck bob.... Um.... RUN!"
Question: What do I do with this Flaming Skull?

Answer: Throw it at someone.
Brew'N Games: A Homebrewing Blog, Both Games and Beer. "The Sky is Falling Like a Sock of Cocaine in the Ministry of Information..." - Man Man, Black Mission Goggles
Question: What do I do with this Flaming Skull?

Answer: Throw it at someone.

Excellent idea. I wonder if I can make it into an implement...
An implement on a stick....
An implement on a stick....

Hm, skull familiar + staff implement = awesome?
two things: 1 play the game Planescape: torment, there is a companion from the begining of the game called Morte, he is a non-flaming flying skull. http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php?/planescapetorment/companions/images/mortestats.jpg either play the game or do a wikipedia search on him.
2 buy a mouth guard/bit& bridle for a horse, then use it to harness the head. (make it from tiefling flesh for fireproof and extra scare tactic) This way you have a leash for it. and when you get your heal skiil nice and hisgh install some spikes into the skull so you can swing the skull on a strap around like a spiked flail.
two things: 1 play the game Planescape: torment, there is a companion from the begining of the game called Morte, he is a non-flaming flying skull. http://www.gamebanshee.com/showshot.php?/planescapetorment/companions/images/mortestats.jpg either play the game or do a wikipedia search on him.
2 buy a mouth guard/bit& bridle for a horse, then use it to harness the head. (make it from tiefling flesh for fireproof and extra scare tactic) This way you have a leash for it. and when you get your heal skiil nice and hisgh install some spikes into the skull so you can swing the skull on a strap around like a spiked flail.

1. I have played Planescape, one of my favorite crpg ever. Morte was cool, but he was way too useful. In 4.0 he'd be more of a beastmaster's pet which I'd have to spend my own actions on to use. I'm not sure exactly how familiars will work, so I'll probably keep Bob on my staff for the moment.

2. Making the bit and bridal out of a dragonborn who is resistant to fire would be more appealing to my Genasi, really.
We haven't identified what creature the skull came from, but I've already named him Bob.

That was going to be my suggestion.

You could try using diplomacy to calm him down and obtain information from him.

And then start wearing a Mantled Leather Duster.
Ahh, so THIS is where I can add a sig. Remember: Killing an ancient God inside of a pyramid IS a Special Occasion, and thus, ladies should be dipping into their Special Occasions underwear drawer.
That was going to be my suggestion.

You could try using diplomacy to calm him down and obtain information from him.

And then start wearing a Mantled Leather Duster.

FTW!
buy a helm of invisability that only makes your head invisable and use him for an intimidation tctic as you throw your flaming head at foes while casting from your body.
buy a helm of invisability that only makes your head invisable and use him for an intimidation tctic as you throw your flaming head at foes while casting from your body.

In that case I'd name the skull Ichabod. It does sound rather fun.
Every time you enter a tavern, have the skull fly up to a mirror and start saying," Alas, poor Yorrick..." :D

or walk through town with the skull in your hand while you say that speech, and have the skull yelling, "Dude, wtf? I'm right here! Stop talking about me like I'm dead or something, okay? You're creeping me out..."

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Carry it in a heavy canvas sack, drawing it when ready for battle...
Hot Potato!
The essential theme song- Get a little bit a fluff da' fluff, get a little bit a fluff da' fluff! (ooh yeah) Repeat Unless noted otherwise every thing I post is my opinion, and probably should be taken as tongue in cheek any way.
Any news? Tell us about what happened.
Any news? Tell us about what happened.

We do game every other weekend, so next game isn't until this sunday. I will update you guys then, but for now the GM has said he is open to having the skull being made into a familiar.

For now, I was able to 'deactivate' the skull and have tied it to the head of my staff using strips of leather from a fire resistant drake. We still haven't identified what type of skull it is either.
We still haven't identified what type of skull it is either.

it doesent matter what kind it is, what matters what you bluff people into what and who you want it to be.
it doesent matter what kind it is, what matters what you bluff people into what and who you want it to be.

Well, I DO have bluff as a trained skill.
Hm, skull familiar + staff implement = awesome?

A skull implement, just by itself, is awesome.
A skull implement, just by itself, is awesome.

O.o

I sent that to him. Forgot about that issue! Thanks.
P.T. Barnum used to make unicorns by taking goats and lashing/conditioning their horns to grow together and spiral up into a point instead of curling back on either side of the head.
P.T. Barnum used to make unicorns by taking goats and lashing/conditioning their horns to grow together and spiral up into a point instead of curling back on either side of the head.

Why did they stop?
Why did they stop?

Animal cruelty for one, also it wasent a real unicorn so people stopped coming to the exibit.
Animal cruelty for one, also it wasent a real unicorn so people stopped coming to the exibit.

Ahh... so they saturated the retarded idealist demographic and realized they needed an actual product because people actually believed them when they advertised it as a unicorn.

See I would just go to see the poor goat, knowing it wasn't a real unicorn.
What do you do with a flaming bonehead?
What do you do with a flaming bonehead early in the morning?

:P
What do you do with a flaming bonehead early in the morning?

:P

put it in the bed of movie mobsters!
put it in the bed of movie mobsters!
put it in the bed of movie mobsters, earlie in the morning!
[chorus]
Way-oh and watch its flaming
Way-oh and watch its flaming
Way-oh and watch its flaming discharge in the morning.
So it turns out the skull is from some sort of demon (I forget the name) which has two heads and uses some sort of barbed tongue from each head to tear people apart and eat them.

I learned this by researching a bit in a library, and found some references ingame to a reclusive necromancer whom I can go consult with for more details on its construction, provided he doesn't kill me.
Scare the bejeezus out of trick-or-treaters?
So it turns out the skull is from some sort of demon (I forget the name) which has two heads and uses some sort of barbed tongue from each head to tear people apart and eat them.

I learned this by researching a bit in a library, and found some references ingame to a reclusive necromancer whom I can go consult with for more details on its construction, provided he doesn't kill me.

Demogorgon was once a demon prince, he had two baboon heads which might look humanish without the flesh off of it.
Scare the bejeezus out of trick-or-treaters?

Funny you mention this. I CAN reactivate the skull with an appropriate arcana check, so it starts screaming and spitting fire.

Mostly it spits fire at me, which isn't terribly helpful even though I am highly fire resistant.
Funny you mention this. I CAN reactivate the skull with an appropriate arcana check, so it starts screaming and spitting fire.

Mostly it spits fire at me, which isn't terribly helpful even though I am highly fire resistant.

Get a fireproof hooded robe, put the hood on the skulls head and make it float just low enough for the robe to brush the floor. everyone fores at a medium creature when its AC is for a tiny opponent. Go one better and line the robes with hidden equipment.
I CAN reactivate the skull with an appropriate arcana check, so it starts screaming and spitting fire.

I know a booby-trap when I see one. That's a booby-trap.

Mostly it spits fire at me...

And this is a problem?

I agree that the implement-on-a-stick is the best idea. In fact, when you reach the appropriate level, you can use the ritual, Enchant Magic Item, take the skull and screw it on the stick permanently.

This implement-on-a-stick could even become an intelligent artifact.

You are now Orcus Jr.

But then, you might need that other skull you mentioned. This is obviously a matching pair. You know, they're just not worth that much by themselves...
Yeah I'll need to see about tracking down a matching skull to get a set. If possible, I'd like the other one that came from this critter but no telling how or when that happened.
Sign In to post comments