Characters based on miniatures

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have usually searched through my collection of miniatures to locate the one that best matches my character.

But there has also been some Miniatures that just beg to be made into a character.

This thread is for those who have minis that sparked characters (OR vise versa)
Tiefling Rogue

Warforged Warlock

Half-Elf Rogue

Bladeling Rogue or Tempest fighter (Till WotC create a cloak of swords)

I tried the hide the picture in spoiler but did not get it to work so I used links
Where did you get that tiefling mini?
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Where did you get that tiefling mini?

Reapermini.com
The Sellsword from the Minis Starter Set inspired one of my players to create Ronin, a rather hard-hitting, hard-core fighter who seems to be on a journey of spiritual self-improvement. The drow Blademaster (I think that's the one, the one with two swords, one pointed forward) quickly inspired his in-party nemesis, Havoc, who has been out to nudge Ronin down the dark path. (Of course, in our last session, Ronin was the only thing standing between Havoc and Havoc becoming Drow Hors D'oeuvres for a carrion crawler. Havoc is lately questioning his own actions within the party. Quite naturally for a drow, he doesn't feel comfortable with this introspection and self-analysis.)
Anyone else have mini based Characters or character ideas?
I have usually searched through my collection of miniatures to locate the one that best matches my character.

But there has also been some Miniatures that just beg to be made into a character.

This thread is for those who have minis that sparked characters (OR vise versa)

One of my players does that frequently. In my current HackMaster game he's playing a character named Maren'kar (Half-Ogre Knight-Errant) inspired by the Mage Knight figure of the same name.

Maren'kar is the brother of one of his previous characters, Kossack (Half-Ogre Berserker). That character was inspired by Kossack Darkbringer. Kossack went missing several years ago so now Maren'kar is on a quest to find him.

The closest I can think of otherwise is that my wife is making a beastmaster ranger inspired by Tolsimir Wolfblood.

About.me

Drive like you love your children

Through faith you have been saved by grace and not by works. -Ep 2:8-9

Grammar Made Easy – now there's no excuse for sounding like an idiot online.
Games From the Mind of fewilcox – my blog about writing; games, including, character sheets and other roleplaying accessories; and game design.

I've done quite a few over the years - if anyone's familiar with Julie Guthrie's older work for, um, forget if it was Ral Partha or Grenadier, but she did some really great minis that just screamed for character sheets...
I don't have pics of them right now, but I may snap some tomorrow if I remember.

This is the guy that inspired the visual image for my 3.5 swashbuckler/swordsage... I'm also (eternally) in the process of massively converting him to represent my 3.5 spiked-chain rogue Mephistopheles Foolsdark.
Show

Reaper Miniatures - Piotr Irongale
IMAGE(http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/647/figurefinderimage.jpg)IMAGE(http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6158/figurefinderimage2.jpg)

This guy was just a 3-hour speed-painting excercise, but a character began forming in my head while painting him, so he ended up as a 3.5 twf rogue...
Show

Reaper Miniatures - Kellen, Nobleman
IMAGE(http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/7298/kellen2lp3.jpg)

And then there's two in this pic - the guy in blue, and the woman with the staff. These two are over twenty years old... I painted them when I was about fifteen and they, along with the dwarf carrying the chest, are some of my earliest work. Which explains why they're painted with Testors model enamels and look hideous, lol. :D
The guy was my first ever conversion - I superglued the shield from a Roman-style soldier to his arm... I think it's one of the fighters from the old TSR "Fighters, Rangers, and Paladins" set, but the character ended up being a fighter/thief.
The woman was from the Wizards and Illusionists set, and, obviously ended up being a wizard, lol. I named her Faeren Windrider.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Love the Heroquest gargoyle mini, I used its wings for a Warhammer conversion.

I have a Warhammer mini I converted for another game (Mordheim). It's a big brute of a guy, easily 7.5' tall, wearing thin trousers and a fur cloak. He has a giant ax in one hand, and is pointing out at his opponent with the other. Up until the Avenger preview I haven't had a chance to use it for any character (cloth armor and great weapon), though I've been really wanting to.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Quite interesting tales Shiftkitty and Kitsunegami...

Well, as it happens, I like to base some of my characters on miniatures. Being a roleplaying Wargamer and a wargaming Roleplayer (and hence, quite happy with 4E), this occured more often than not.

I used the GW classic miniature Guy Le Gros (the 5th Ed Warhammer's Friar Tuck clone) as a short fat Half-Orc cleric, named Brother Clobbert, for our first 3.X trial games years ago. One skillpoint per level sucked...

A couple of years later, I built a Pirate Pitfighter for GW's Mordheim wielding a large chain instead of a flail. After the Mordheim campaign ended due to player inactivity I ended up stating him out as a Spiked Chain/Improved Trip/Whirlwind Attack Monster for D&D 3.5...
After hearing about the Spiked Chain Mastery Feat and reading about the Half-Orc in PHB 2, Mister Breger the Bruiser will be reborn into 4E as a Half-Orc Tempest (Half-Orcs get +2 Str and Dex, arrr! Walk the plank, Bugbear, an' welcome back, Half-Orc, me 'eartie!) - I initially wanted to run Breger as a Half-Orc in 3.5 too, but the penalties to Int and Cha put me off. Maybe I can now give him a try.

Finally, there was Cronrel of Clan Spikehand, a Dwarven Cleric I ran as a DMPC in 3.5 because we had no healers. Tho' it's not shown in the pic, he was a ranged cleric armed with a multi-barreled rifle. In 4E he will finally become what I initially wanted him to be, an Artificer (in 3.5, my powergaming side caught the better of me and I used him as a cleric, even with a few non optimized choices he was very powerful...) He is the 2nd guy from the right:

The classic Dwarf Wizard on the far right, is called Farnham. I used this mini in a solo trial of Kobold Hall when 4E came out together with a few other Dwarf Miniatures.

You can find a few more minis in my Photobucket account , I guess I could tell you what inspired each mini, or which background I had in mind when converting or sculpting a mini. ( I 'm particularly proud of my female Dwarfs, but I never used them as characters, even tho' they all have a mini-background)

Better to fight windmills than become a miller!

This is the opposite end of the spectrum. I made a human NPC archer girl named Wednesday Starsdawn. She has long, black hair and red armor and a cloak given to her by the elves. She also wields a longsword. She was the most loved NPC in our last campaign.

IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/dw/Autumn_Wind_Ranger.jpg)

After finishing our campaign, they released this.

I mean, whoa! Super coincidence. Well, given that her sword is a scimitar, I DON'T CARE.
Did you actually get that mini? I have one and am building a character around her. I'm waiting for the perfect spark, though.
Yes, I did. I just have to. It's... destiny. Or something.

Even though I won't be using her anytime soon since we just got started on a campaign--same world but time-jump of about 130 years.
I mean, whoa! Super coincidence. Well, given that her sword is a scimitar, I DON'T CARE.

Weapon swaps are pretty easy, especially with the plastics.
What set is that from, btw?

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Weapon swaps are pretty easy, especially with the plastics.
What set is that from, btw?

The newest one. Demonweb.

Nah, I'm happy with the scimitar. It's not like she can't change her sword into a scimitar, anyway.
Now whenever it is necessary for me to think about a new character I go to www.darkswordminiatures.com and never fail to find a mini that actually inspires a character. This is my current two weapon human melee ranger.

http://www.darkswordminiatures.com/gallery/set9dualwield.htm

I found I was dissatisfied with many of the miniature companies and their continuing trends toward unrealistic looking miniatures with huge hands/feet/weapons and their cartoonish facial features. I discovered this company by accident but am so happy I did. Great company, have actually spoken to the owner several times. Would like to see a greater choice of weapons for the female minis, but he has told me that is on the way.
Help please. What class would fit THIS MINI?
Well, since the armor has painted in red, I find you have some options available, as the armor might be elaborate leather armor as well as lacquered plate.

Light Armor:
- Swordmage with the feat that gives you a spellbook.
- Wizard of the Spiral Tower (or at least aspiring to become one, leather armor prof a must)
- Avenger of Ioun (book being a holy symbol)

Heavy Armor:
- Scholarly Templar, a Paladin/Cleric of Ioun (don't dump Int, book being a holy symbol, again
- Judge Red, devoted Paladin of Erathis
- Lorekeeper (Valorous Bard with training in 3+ knowledge skills)
- Arcane Warmaster (Tactlord/Wizard)

i created a dragonborn based on the silver dragonborn from war of the dragon queen just so i could use the mini.
and i'm making a goliath so i can use the goliath cleric of kavaki. the stats for the greatclub he's using suck. but what the hell?
i created a dragonborn based on the silver dragonborn from war of the dragon queen just so i could use the mini.
and i'm making a goliath so i can use the goliath cleric of kavaki. the stats for the greatclub he's using suck. but what the hell?

Isn't that a plastic mini? You could try to replace it or simply repaint it into an iron or stone greatclub which could be anything from a morningstar to a mordenkrad. An iron or stone greatclub sounds right for a goliath.

Isn't that a plastic mini? You could try to replace it or simply repaint it into an iron or stone greatclub which could be anything from a morningstar to a mordenkrad. An iron or stone greatclub sounds right for a goliath.

Fifteen minutes with a hobby knife and some paint and that club is a greatsword...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

Having had worked for Games Workshop for 5 years or so, I pretty much just make my characters then hunt for various bits and pieces of models that I feel fit, cut them up, and put them all together.

I just finished converting and painting two character models for myself and my wife. Mine is a human Avenger and hers is an eladrin Swordmage.

With a little effort and some modelling putty, I transformed a Hordes model into a robed, broadsword wielding, wide-brimmed hat wearing witch-hunter ... and a War Machine model into a scimitar toting, graceful fighter.
I normally make the character and then find a mini that fits. Then I pulled an albino gnoll and soon that will have to be made into a character.
I will use any mini that catches my eye as a possible character.

I've found several of the Heroclix can be cool minis if you are able to do a little work on them, like swapping the bottoms etc. For instance, I use the World War Hulk (Green Scar) as a half orc barbarian with an executioners axe. It has a shield, but you can remove it and repaint that arm if you are a stickler for accuracy. I used an Ian Nottingham heroclix to make a swordmage as well.

To answer the original question lol, I usually make the character first, but every now and then a mini talks to me and I have to make it.
Those Dark Sword minis are cool. I'm getting some.

Also, I use Mage Knight minis (since they are cheaper nowadays and I can buy them in bulk) without modifying their bases. I just made my own battle grid with larger squares.
Any ideas on a character class for this character?

IMAGE(http://gallery.mac.com/misterd1223/100016/100_0031.jpg?derivative=medium&source=web.jpg&type=medium&ver=12392220020001)
That's Reaper's "Kasidya, Princess of Hell" or something like that, right?
(How sad is it that I can name most of Reaper's stuff on sight? lol)

It's saying Tiefling Warlock with whip and pactblade to me...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

yeah but the club looks cool as is. and the idea is to make a character fit the mini not vice versa. plus i'm suck with minis sculpt and paint. or rather i'm unequipped and have no experience. also he's a dmpc so i'm not so concerned with his stats. not that the advice is appreciated
I've got a "kind of." My current 4e character, from a build stand point, was based on this sweet Reaper mini.

I'm currently having my own mini painted and I'll post it when it's done in a few weeks.

However, her backstory is one I'd been wanting to use on a character for a while. In fact, I'd originally intended on using it for a ranger type character, but this campaign came along and I couldn't resist using the story for her.

Now, I never considered full on designed a character around a miniature, stats and story, until I pulled this guy.

Now I'm going to make a bravura warlord, just for that mini. Come to think of it, there's a number of the D&D minis that I've mulled over making characters around lately. This guy'll be the first, though.
Can anyone tell the manufacturer of this one?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/104646

It's perfect for one of my current characters.
Can anyone tell the manufacturer of this one?

http://www.coolminiornot.com/104646

It's perfect for one of my current characters.

The sculpting style is saying to me that it's an older Grenadier figure, but that's just a feeling...

Edit: Hmm, might not be. I couldn't find it on the list here: The Stuff Of Legends, but they don't have pictures for most of the stuff, just the lists...

Show

I am the Magic Man.

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)