Looking for a good paladin example (TV/Movie)

152 posts / 0 new
Last post
My son is starting a paladin but is having a hard time coming up with personality for his character. Can anyone think of a good example of a paladin type character from a TV show or movie. I figured if he could watch the show/movie it might help him shape a personality for his character. Keep in mind he's only 11 so I'd rather not have anything too adult. I was thinking there was probably a good anime example but it is not my genre.
My son is starting a paladin but is having a hard time coming up with personality for his character. Can anyone think of a good example of a paladin type character from a TV show or movie. I figured if he could watch the show/movie it might help him shape a personality for his character. Keep in mind he's only 11 so I'd rather not have anything too adult. I was thinking there was probably a good anime example but it is not my genre.

the trilogy "the deed of pakseneron", never seen a better example of a paladin.
sorry did not notice the tv bit.
hmmm
what about good old fashion superman?
or for an alternet take , batman from the denniverse batman animated adventures.
worse case, some of the jedi in clone wars are decent takes on the concept
I half picture Kuchiki Byakuya from Bleach as a Paladin-like Character, His places his duty above everything including Family. Not certain others will agree.
The Deeds of Paks are the first thing I thought of too.
Superman is a bit too bland.
Batman's a bit dark (that is why I discounted Navarre from Ladyhawk)
There was a cartoon a while back, Yu Yu Hakisho, which I think had a good hero leading it but before go and buy old episodes of anything I'd like to get some input. Guardian of the Sacred Spirit sounds good. I'm not worried about powers, just personea.
Matt Dillon - Gunsmoke
Lucas McCain - The Rifleman

Both are defenders of an ideal rather than a religion.
Norman from Mighty Max.
I am suprised no one has metioned King Arthur and the knights of the round table.

I am sure there is a G/PG rated movie out there about them.

Also, take a look at Robin Hood Prince of Thieves. There is an opening sceene where Robin Hood's father (Loxly (sp?)) faces down the evil sherriff of Nottingham and his minions.

On his horse dressed in full armor he draws his sword and shouts "God, and King Richard!!!"

Seems very paladin like to me. Although I wouldnt let my young kid watch the full movie.
El Cid with Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren. The main character has always struck me as the quintessential paladin.

It's a bit off genre, and it might be a little old for an 11 year old, but Apollo (Lee Adama) from the new BSG does a great job portraying a Paladin.
If you are fine with the camp, I've always considered Angel (from Whedon's Angel) an excellent example of a paladin.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Which edition are you talking about.
If it is anything before 4th edition, then the paladin is very, very different than he is in 4th edition.

In 4th edition, paladin's are holy warriors of their deity, and their ethical code depends on their deity. Heck, Dirty Harry is a good role-model for a paladin of justice.
Mace Windu from Star Wars. Many other jedi could very well be described as paladins.
Superman is a paladin, though a very stoic one. Martian Manhunter and Batman could also be deemed paladins to some extent.
Optimus Prime of the transformers has very paladin-like virtues.
The Deeds of Paks are the first thing I thought of too.
Superman is a bit too bland.
Batman's a bit dark (that is why I discounted Navarre from Ladyhawk)
There was a cartoon a while back, Yu Yu Hakisho, which I think had a good hero leading it but before go and buy old episodes of anything I'd like to get some input. Guardian of the Sacred Spirit sounds good. I'm not worried about powers, just personea.

thats why i mentioned the one rom the varies deni vs cartoons ..batman animated, justice league etc
dark but still not to dark to get a good alternet look at a paladin, same goes with the dini superman "superman ..justice leage not quite as bland as some superman portrayals, on a side not there is a new deeds of paks book coming later this year, or next
It's a bit off genre, and it might be a little old for an 11 year old, but Apollo (Lee Adama) from the new BSG does a great job portraying a Paladin.

no apollo is not really a good example, he is racist and petty to often ..but helo ,, the guy that does the morally right thing no matter what... he fits
Paladin examples for an 11-year-old:
  • Lancelot
  • Superman
  • Woody from Toy Story
  • Peyton Manning
Here are the PHB essentia, in my opinion:
  • Three Basic Rules (p 11)
  • Power Types and Usage (p 54)
  • Skills (p178-179)
  • Feats (p 192)
  • Rest and Recovery (p 263)
  • All of Chapter 9 [Combat] (p 264-295)
A player needs to read the sections for building his or her character -- race, class, powers, feats, equipment, etc. But those are PC-specific. The above list is for everyone, regardless of the race or class or build or concept they are playing.
Lancelot

You'll have to be a bit more specific... unless adultery is a fine subject for an 11-year-old.

Adam West's Batman is also pretty paladin-like. I'm just not sure of how much depth the OP is looking for (AW's Bat is pretty shallow)

Growing aggravated by an online account system whose changes make it harder to access information, while ignoring useful feedback from community members.

Share your opinions here: http://community.wizards.com/forums/102116

http://community.wizards.com/forums/103446

http://community.wizards.com/forums/129986

http://community.wizards.com/forums/102616

Paladin examples for an 11-year-old:
  • Lancelot
  • Superman
  • Woody from Toy Story
  • Peyton Manning

Woody, who spent half the movie so jealous of Buzz that he did almost all he could to make him look foolish in front of everyone else, and then contemplated pushing him out a window? :P
Note, when I think of a Paladin, I think of exemplars of good: people who do or try to do the right thing above all else. If the kid is playing an evil or unaligned Paladin, then I can revise my list for you. Another thing, I don't exactly see a Paladin as a champion of a god, deity or concept that isn't Good, so that colors my perceptions a bit.

Karl "Helo" Agathon from the reimagined Battlestar Galactica- jimthegray is right. While I would classify Apollo as Lawful Good most of the time (the characters in Battlestar have ephemeral alignments), he has a few flaws that prevent him from achieving paladinhood. Helo, on the other hand, is an upstanding, dutiful soldier, a loving father and husband and someone who is always committed to doing the right thing, no matter what. The man doesn't leave anyone behind, fights to defend those in need and has acted as Galactica's conscience. He managed to prevent mankind from committing genocide, he's stood up to both Adama and Roslin when they've tried to (or have) pulled unethical crap and he doesn't back down from anyone and he even gave up his seat on his Raptor to allow more people to leave Caprica in the miniseries (granted, it was for Gaius Baltar, but come on, he didn't know Baltar yet). Helo is compassionate and loving, but he can be intimidating and as scary as Hell, just like any Paladin. Check out the episode "Rapture" in the third season. That death stare he gives the president is perfect.

Parn the Free Knight from the Record of Lodoss War- Parn, once he stops being ineffectual, dedicates his life to protecting all of Lodoss from the darkness. While his actual class is a Fighter, he acts just like a Paladin should: selflessly protecting all of the people of Lodoss. He doesn't tie himself to one kingdom and he doesn't discriminate. He helps people as best he can.

Angel from Angel: the Series- Angel is, for the most part, an upstanding man who has dedicated his life to atoning for his sins as Angelus by saving the souls of people, helping the helpless and protecting the world. He's fallen on a couple of occasions (season 2 and as part of a ploy in season 5), but he's always earned back his paladin status. Look at how he never gives up on Faith even though everyone else in the Buffyverse ever has given up on her. It's because of him, she can find redemption. The man will sacrifice anything to better society, including his own destiny (and thus the possibility of ever being truly happy ever again). Also, the dude routinely kicks demon ass. That's straight up Paladinhood right there.

The Grooslaug from Angel: the Series- Groo is kind of like what Angel would be if Angel was kind of dumb. Self sacrificing, noble and caring, I mean just look at how he leaves the show in season 3. Still, his personality is really just a good Paladin-esque template. He's kind of a fish out of water type and, like I said, he's kind of dumb.

Batman from Batman the Animated Series/Justice League/Justice League Unlimited- More than even Superman (in the context of the DCAU), Batman is the pinnacle of morality. He doesn't compromise his principals, he never gives up on people and in a choice between doing two evils, he always find a third option. Always. Check out the episode of Justice League Unlimited "Epilogue," where he's given a situation where he has to kill a teenager who's dying of a brain aneurysm because her powers are psionic in nature (and because she's very, very ****** off at the government entity that gave her her powers, which led to the aneurysm), and the aneurysm will cause severe psionic backlash and kill a city. Batman manages to prevent all of this just by holding her hand and staying with her until she died. That's right: by being a compassionate soul and easing the pain of a dying girl by just giving her some comfort as she died, he prevented her powers from going nova. That's what a Paladin would do.
How about Clark Kent from Smallville? Or David Banner from the Incredible Hulk (the '80s show)?

Both are very straight-forward, stand-up good guys.

Jarod from the Pretender is one I often enjoy emulating myself as a PC ;).
/\ Art
Personally, I'd consider Buzz more a Paladin that Woody. For some reason, Woody strikes me as a ranger.
I'll second the nomination of Optimus Prime.

If you have to resort to making offensive comments instead of making logical arguments, you deserve to be ignored.

I'll second the nomination of Optimus Prime.

Thirded. Not just as an example of a Paladin, but also the epitome of (correctly played) Lawful Good
Sturm Brightblade!!!! Have him watch the Dragonlance movie. Not a good movie, but Sturm's character is done pretty well IMO.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/19.jpg)

Paladin of whom?
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
Paladin of Cybertron and the Omnimatrix, of course.
Most of my favourite Paladins were mentioned already

• Sir Gawain and Sir Galahad from Arthurian Legend (Sir Lancelot was hardly a paladin, he was a cocky brute at best)

• Superman (though it depends on who is writing him at the time)

• Sturm Brightblade from Dragonlance

• Parn from Record of the Lodoss Wars

• The Nameless One (Nanashi) from Sword of the Stranger

• Agrias Oaks and Cidolfas Orlandu from FFT1, but any Holy Swordsman class from the FF series will do

• Cloud from FF7

• Leonardo from TMNT

Since "Holy Knight" is a broad concept, most "knights" from TV/Cartoon/Movies will function as a Paladin of sorts.

In Anime, Noble Samurai serve to fill the same archetype.
I'm gonna throw my votes in for Galahad, Superman (depending on who's writing him), and Angel (excepting parts of season 2 and season 5.) I hadn't thought about it but Groo also does seem to fit decently well.
Yes, the latest book/release that you don't like is a blatant attempt by Wizards of the Coast to make money off the fanbase. They all are. That's kinda the point of the Free Enterprise system, companies are in it to make money...
Show
69889855 wrote:
You can't! I tried... and the next night masked men came into my house and beat me until I burned up my ranger character sheet and rolled a scout. They told me... if I ever thought of making a non-essential character that they would kill mitsy..... OH GOD THEY ARE COMING BACK AND ARE FORCING ME TO BUY HEROES OF SHADOWS! SOMEONE STOP THEM PLEASE!
58321818 wrote:
Your DM is your friend. He's not trying to screw with you, or dick you around. Play your character how your character would act. Accept that your character won't always be able to do what he's best at, but also know that as a goddamn HERO, he's gonna try to do his best at what he can do. Roleplay your goddamn character, make the decisions he would make, and roll appropriately. Everything will be fine.
57025236 wrote:
But filling a post with vitriol, hate-filled comments, like "these people should be fired", swearing at us or other ambiguous members of the company - there really is no reason for that. Please share your feedback respectfully, and consider how you would share your ideas if this were a face to face conversation between real people, not faceless names on a screen.
If you see me posting in a thread about editions or Essentials (that isn't simply a rules thread or similar) remind me that I'm trying to stay away from them. (My blood pressure will thank us both.)
Matt Dillon - Gunsmoke
Lucas McCain - The Rifleman

Both are defenders of an ideal rather than a religion.

Agreed, and well worth watching. I'm amazed you didn't include Paladin from Have Gun, Will Travel, though. Not only is he, well, Paladin by both name and nature, he's also darned stylish and well-educated for a Western hero archetype.
2 Words. John Locke.
Some of these might not be good for your kid but the brothers from Boondock Saints, Hardagan and Dwight from Sin City, Katsumoto from Last Samurai, Hector from Troy, and (arguably) Tylor Durton from Fight Club.

I'd guess that the only ones that you might let your kid watch would be Last Samurai or Troy.
Oh! Vash the Stampede from Trigun
I must agree on Optimus Prime, especially from the original series. Also, from Transformers: Beast Wars, Silverbolt (though he's a bit hammed up).

Scope my YouTube channel!

Here's a shout out for Scholars' Books & Games in Bridgewater, MA, and for Paladin's Place in Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany where I was stationed for two years. Support your FLGS!

Attacking the darkness since 1987, turning creatures sideways since 1994.

The Tick
Navarre (Rutger Hauer) in Ladyhawke is a personal favorite.

Glaeken Trismegistus in The Keep

The former is traditional paladin in character while the latter is more like immortal servant of god which can be adapted to the holy powersd of paladins.
How about Clark Kent from Smallville? Or David Banner from the Incredible Hulk (the '80s show)?

Both are very straight-forward, stand-up good guys.

(Not talking about the Hulk here)

Are you watching the same show I stopped watching, because of the poor moral choices he was making? (without consequence, I may add, so he never "learned" from those mistakes)

The first season, okay. The second season? Mostly. After that? Toss the scriptwriters out the window

Growing aggravated by an online account system whose changes make it harder to access information, while ignoring useful feedback from community members.

Share your opinions here: http://community.wizards.com/forums/102116

http://community.wizards.com/forums/103446

http://community.wizards.com/forums/129986

http://community.wizards.com/forums/102616

Most of my favourite Paladins were mentioned already

• Sir Gawain and Sir Galahad from Arthurian Legend (Sir Lancelot was hardly a paladin, he was a cocky brute at best)

Not that I like Lancelot but Gawain as an example of a paladin, the man killed his own mother, and was even more of a brute then Lancelot, who at least had the decency to be ashamed of himself.

I've always been rather fond of Lamorack, third greatest knight in the land and unlike Lancelot and Tristam he's not a jerk about it.

For suggestions I'd nominate Jack from Samurai Jack and Silverbolt from Beast Wars.
Not that I like Lancelot but Gawain as an example of a paladin, the man killed his own mother, and was even more of a brute then Lancelot, who at least had the decency to be ashamed of himself.

Well, not to get into the validity of certain texts over others when it comes to Arthurian legend... but to clarify, I refer to the Vulgate texts of Gawain, in which he was specifically written as "the perfect knight to which all others are compared."

It wasnt until the French Post-Vulgate Romances that he was transformed into an Anti-hero, mostly as anti-British propaganda. :P
I'll fourth (fifth?) Optimus Prime. "Freedom Is The Right of All Sentient Beings" indeed (yes, the capitals are necessary). I feel bad for not including him in the first place.

A possible example: Carrot Ironfounderson from Discworld- I know the OP asked for TV/Movie examples, but Carrot is too good not to point out (or is he?). Carrot always does the right thing and is a huge proponent of law. He also seem to genuinely care about people and he loves people individually. I think his conversation with Vetinari at the end of Men at Arms is very telling of Carrot's character and how he sees himself as a person and a leader of men. I think when he said he could command the Watch, but wouldn't because he wanted people to follow the law because it was the right thing, and not because they wanted to follow him.

For the record, I think Carrot is my favorite possible lost heir heroes because of his humanist streak. Maybe that's why I love Terry Pratchett so much.
Since anime is an option, I highly recommend Rurouni Kenshin. The main character (Kenshin) is a great example of a paladin's personality imo.

Although, I should probably tell you to make sure you look at the series and not the OVA. In the series Kenshin is redeeming himself for past sins, the OVA shows you those past sins and I wouldnt recommend it for an 11 year old (I'm sure I wasn't much older than 11 when I first discovered the series).
What, not one vote for Captain America? He's already got a great looking shield - - :p
(Not talking about the Hulk here)

Are you watching the same show I stopped watching, because of the poor moral choices he was making? (without consequence, I may add, so he never "learned" from those mistakes)

The first season, okay. The second season? Mostly. After that? Toss the scriptwriters out the window

Gotta agree with ya. I've watched Smallville for years, just out of habit. I haven't really taken an interest in anything past season 3.

Unless he's hopped up on red kryptonite though, I think Clark Kent is a solid paladin archtype-- especially in the first few years, as you say ;).
/\ Art
Sign In to post comments