Dragonborn rogue

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am thinking of building a brawny rogue dragonborn, but how should I justify it? Where should he come from, what should his name be, how should I play him, and whatever else you want to comment on.

Idea one
Dragonborns are all about honer, so how does one justify one playing dirty? One option is to try to reflavor some of the dishonerable seeming tactics, but then where the the rougish fun? So the other option is to use the honer instead of fighting it, at a young age his close family was betrayed and slaughtered, and he was left for dead, since then he swore on his family's name that he would become strong and punish people like those who betrayed him, even if he needs to get his hands dirty...

What are your suggestions, andy and all ideas are welcome.
Even Klingons try to make with the flanking.

Even though the dragonborn society is big on honor, a lot of cultures would leave all the responsibilities/goodies/land to first born/oldest. Maybe he was the runt of the litter and got nothing but a last name and saw how all the rules were all just a facade for people to put on airs, especially because the empire isn't around anymore. Some innate ability, left unfocused and unmolded by elders maybe caused him to be noticed by a few willing to help him hone his skills. Maybe being recognized for what he could do rather than the deeds of his ancestors appealed to him and so he left to make his own name.

Just a thought.
One of the first ideas for a character I had was a dragonborn rogue. Here is Nokturn.

People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell

There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche

Devil\'s Brigade

I had a player who essentially used the "pet alligator" story for her dragonborn rogue- subverted it a little though.

A spoiled young ladyling bought her as a hatchling off the auction block, then used her as a petty amusement until her parents found out, weren't amused, and dumped the offending creature down the sewers.

Whereupon she met the thieves guild, of course.
Ah, my first D&D character ever was a Dragonborn Rogue named Gloth.

When he was young, he was told many stories about dragons by his parents. And as he grew up, he kind of "inherited" the draconic tendency to horde. He basically became a rogue for no other reason than to build his own horde.
D&D Experience Level: Relatively new First Edition: 4th Known Editions: 4th, 3.5 --- Magic Experience Level: Fairly skilled First Expansion: 7th Edition Play Style: Very Casual
Nothing really requires that a rogue be dishonorable, just as nothing guarantees that a member of any other class will be honorable. Keep in mind that "honorable" and "chivalric" are two entirely different things - nothing about the dragonborn demands the latter.

If you haven't yet, you might want to grab the Dragon issue with the "Ecology of the Dragonborn" article, since it will cover some of your concerns. It's in one of the free issues.
This is a character I have recently started in a local LFR game. The name is a throwback to a Barbarian Rogue I used to play in Everquest. The closest I could do to remake him (as far as stats are concerned) was the Dragonborn. So, here he is.

Note: In the game I played on Sunday, we went up against some Goblin Hexer and his cronies. The party wizard dropped a zone which caused anyone entering or starting their turn to take damage. Well, I zipped over to the one guy close enough, hit him with Positioning Strike and moved him on into that zone, since he wanted to stay out of it. Fun was had by all (except the goblin who got KOd by the freezing zone.)

Also note: at the time I played Fromnier in EQ, you had to be level 20 before you could give your character a surname. I got Fromnier up to level 20 specifically so I could give him Fromfar as his surname.

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast DDI Character Builder ======
FROMNIER FROMFAR, level 1
Dragonborn, Rogue
Build: Trickster Rogue
Rogue Tactics: Artful Dodger
Background: Luskan

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 12, Con 12, Dex 17, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 15.

Starting Ability Scores
Str 10, Con 12, Dex 17, Int 13, Wis 10, Cha 13.

AC: 15 Fort: 11 Reflex: 15 Will: 12
HP: 24 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
Stealth, Thievery, Streetwise, Bluff, Athletics, Perception.

FEATS
1: Backstabber

POWERS
1, At-Will: Deft Strike
1, At-Will: Sly Flourish
1, Encounter: Positioning Strike
1, Daily: Blinding Barrage

ITEMS
Adventurer's Kit, Leather Armor, Dagger (2), Tent
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast DDI Character Builder ======
A rogue is not necessarily a dirty fighter. He is just precise and tactical. He could be a dragonborn who learned the more lethal arts of the dragonborn. The rogue is also a nimble combatant who knows how to take advantage of his opponents weak points, he doesn't have to be a thief who hides. Dragonborn raiders in the MM are a good example, they are quick and lethal and also use combat advantage. If he goes into the ring with a dagger against another honorable dragoborn with a massive fullblade and comes out the victor....who will have lost some of his integrity? Proud is what he'd be.
What are your suggestions, andy and all ideas are welcome.

Where do you get rouges of any race?

Make it an ophen. Raise as a thief by a thieves guild. If he is raised without honor, then he wont have any.
In fact he'd play on the fact that people keep thinking he will act honorably, and then RIP THEM OFF! :D
GAMMA WORLD Wuv D&D: Beyond the RPG - Transcript This is a complete transcript. http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390668593 The audio file is in this News Archive http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4news/DNDXP 2010 D&D Product Overview (47 minutes into the Audio) http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/22329697?sdb=1&pg=last#390928045
Please lets not do the rouge/rogue thing again.

I think one of the major factors of playing a DRAGONBORN rogue, as opposed to any other rogue, is keeping the honor thing intact, while perhaps expressing it in an unusual way.

Check out Sin City for a example of how honor can work in a totally corrupt setting. It's a little more subtle than "I only steal from the dead people."
Sign In to post comments