Victorian Age Campaign

46 posts / 0 new
Last post
So, we're about to start running a campaign based around Victorian Age legends myths and historical characters. Thus far, we have the characters as follows:

Houdini: An Eladrin Swordmage

Tesla: A human artificer with a death ray (superior crossbow)

(Unnamed): A half elf warlock with the fey pact who is representing one of the bored noblewomen from the time period who used to dabble in the occult

The Time Traveler: A human wizard whose powers aren't exactly magic in nature. When he casts a spell, he follows bill and ted logic by saying "Hm. I need to remember later to come back in time after this battle and set up an incendiary device right there. (Scorching burst explodes) Oh, good, looks like I did it."

I'm looking for help coming up with ideas for the Warlock and an unfinished rogue character and also anything you think would make sense for such a campaign. For instance, Warforged are actually Victor Frankenstein's monster version 2.0, after the government seizes his prototypes and began mass producing them.
Try a take on an adult Tom Sawyer to give your rogue a different flavor from normal. I like how they handled him in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen".

Warlock? Bored noblewoman dabbling in the occult? Look no further than Sarah Winchester. Add some height (otherwise she's a tall halfling), tie her to a tragedy that sends her to the occult, and tah-dah!
PS: Are you planning on throwing Jack the Ripper in there anywhere? Something from the Shadowfell lurking about, showing up in cities too distant for a normal person to travel and committing murders... Hmmm, may need a Sherlock Holmes type character...
I'd write up Holmes as a rogue-- remember that in the stories, he was a bit of a master of disguise, and his knowledge of London's underworld was unparalleled (Bluff and Streetwise, respectively).
isnt much of the star pact alone somewhat cuthulu based with its elder gods and such? A star pact warlock taking from "wishing upon a star" for more fear/psychic? Perhaps even leaning tward a hypnotist for a cover?
Jack the Ripper will indeed make an appearance, as will other various characters from the time. I'm thinking Rasputin as a leader of infernal pact warlocks would be another good enemy.

Sherlock Holmes as a rogue who dabbles in alchemy would work perfectly, in fact.

Sarah Winchester? Thats a neat idea.

I'm also trying to place races geographically (the setting is, in fact, Earth) based on (and, yes, I know this is horrible) horrific stereotyping. Dwarves, for instance, are from Scotland primarily.
isnt much of the star pact alone somewhat cuthulu based with its elder gods and such? A star pact warlock taking from "wishing upon a star" for more fear/psychic? Perhaps even leaning tward a hypnotist for a cover?

The girl playing that character is quite taken with the thought of teleporting around and being, quote, "Really Pretty"
Edgar Allen Poe could be a warlock, any pact really, although fey or dark would work best. Alternatively he could be a ranger with a raven or cat companion.

-Drillboss
elves=france, kobolds=poland.
Edgar Allen Poe could be a warlock, any pact really, although fey or dark would work best. Alternatively he could be a ranger with a raven or cat companion.

Well near the end of his life he began to see "demons crawling along the walls of his room", soo... Perhaps he starts off as some other class and slowly multiclasses into infernal warlock.

Allan Quatermain would definitely be a Ranged-Ranger, with his elephant gun. Perhaps multiclassing with Fighter or Warlord for some close combat fun.

As some NPCs you could bring in a young Einstein, Mark Twain, Thomas Edison (he could so be a villain and major rival and enemy to Tesla).
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Henry David Thoreau
Mary Shelley (warlock? necromancer?)

Where would these folks stand?

Jane Austen=eladrin (she's just so refined...)

In an Earth/D&D cross I did once, the drow hailed from Ireland. Made a neat tie-in to Andrew Jackson, whom I wrote to be part drow. His drow name, Antroos, was quite appropriate. By one source it meant "Child of Death". (Read his bio, he was surrounded by death since day one.)
Actually what with Romanticism and such of the period and somewhat fascination with supernatural/occult (hell there was a specific fairy craze at one point). I could see it being "fashionable" to be friends or compatriots with Eladrin and Elves and perhaps Gnomes and Drow as well.
Wouldn't Eldarin be in france?
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Actually what with Romanticism and such of the period and somewhat fascination with supernatural/occult (hell there was a specific fairy craze at one point). I could see it being "fashionable" to be friends or compatriots with Eladrin and Elves and perhaps Gnomes and Drow as well.

And imagine the feather in your cap if you could count a dragon among your acquaintances! I recommend picking up an old copy of "Comme Il Faut", from the game "Castle Falkenstein". Lotsa good stuff there. Heck, any of the books from that game should fill your notes with plenty of material. If you can't get that, get "Jane Austen's Guide to Manners". It's a little book full of social do's and don't's based on her novels. She was very early Victorian, but a lot of it carried on.
Though hmm... If he has people like Tesla and Houdini in this... I wonder if it be less Victorian and more Edwardian period. Since their prime was more after Victorian period during the Edwardian.

OH! and for Houdini I dunno if you should actually have him as a Swordmage. Since he was a sceptic and investigated any paranormal claims he could to try and prove them false. I would say probably Rogue be better. It be could be a interesting counter-point to all this magic, to have a character trying to disprove this magic. Hell! Since we know in this case magic and paranormal is real the cash-prize he put up could actually be collected by someone.
Lots of potential in here, I tip my hat to you all!

I 'd recommend throwing in a few steampunk elements, so that you have reason to include armour without much hassle. Oh, that and because I love the thought of Paladins in steam-powered plate armour...

Fictional and real persons of note:

Oscar Wilde, Human/Half-Elven Artful Rogue

Captain Nemo, clearly an Artificer.

Florence Nightingale, Healer Cleric

And, finally, my favourite amongst Victoria's contemporaries:

Karl Marx, Dwarf Wizard (probably evil, depending on your view...)

Better to fight windmills than become a miller!

Though hmm... If he has people like Tesla and Houdini in this... I wonder if it be less Victorian and more Edwardian period. Since their prime was more after Victorian period during the Edwardian.

OH! and for Houdini I dunno if you should actually have him as a Swordmage. Since he was a sceptic and investigated any paranormal claims he could to try and prove them false. I would say probably Rogue be better. It be could be a interesting counter-point to all this magic, to have a character trying to disprove this magic. Hell! Since we know in this case magic and paranormal is real the cash-prize he put up could actually be collected by someone.

Houdini as a rogue who knows how to produce magical appearing effects! I can imagine the look on someone's face when they hit him with something that dispels magic and he produces some kind of flash-powder and glitter effect that dazzles them for a round, just long enough to make his escape. (standard action, Dex vs Will, burst 1, all targets in area, hit= target(s) dazed til end of their next turn and "caster" can shift a number of squares = to their Dex mod))

Oh, yeah. Don't forget Allan Quartermain! That guy's got Victorian D&D written all over him!
Houdini: Rogue who takes Alchemy feat then? Rogue be good too cause Thievery be a good example to showcase his mastery of getting out of locks, etc.

I already posted Quatermain in my first post :P
Sorry! Failed my Perception check!

You know, I was just thinking, just because the Headless Horseman was pre-Victorian doesn't mean he went away. Perhaps Washington Irving was trying to warn people!

Mm, another name from history, but probably earlier than the OP would like; Marie Laveaux, the Voodoo Queen of New Orleans. A rumor going around the supernatural circles is that she helped Jackson score the victory at New Orleans through voodoo. (While she did provide medical aid, the real culprit for the British was that they forgot to bring ladders. Long story, that one!)

From the same period, Jean Lafitte, pirate extraordinaire!
Karl Marx could also fly as a Dwarf Taclord or Resourcelord.

Carnegie, Rockefeller, and Vanderbilt could be statted as dragons. You know, hoards and such.

-Drillboss
victorian age was just a term I used so people could have a general time frame for this campaign in regards to people of note, political happenings, and dress. Guns are simply being run as crossbows (pistols being hand and so on and so forth). I like this time because guns weren't quite over powering, people dressed like badasses, and clockwork mechanics seem like they could conceivably make sense.
I wasn't aware that wasp-waist corsets and heels that were nigh impossible to walk in let alone lace up were "badass" (unless worn by a dominatrix, that is!) ;)

Actually, I love a lot of Victorian styles, but there are aspects of it that I don't care for. Wouldn't stop me from playing in a game though! Oh, I'd probably be a borderline demimonde!
Well, I'm a big fan of vests, so it works out well for me ;-P

So I'm trying to build an effective time traveler. This is proving tougher than I expected.

Oh, and Napoleon is a halfling warlord with a chip on his shoulder.
I dig the Napoleon idea. Actually, I love it.

Sweeney Todd would make an interesting Scimitar Ranger or Tempest Fighter.

-Drillboss
Sweeney Todd is so a Rogue, he cuts people's throats with a small bladed weapon from behind while their unsuspecting! How is that not rogue :P
since i dont see a rogue being much of one for a shield nor one for a two handed weapon, to me flavor wise it's perfectly logical to saw Sweeney Todd would duel wield (though mechanically he'd be a guy with a dagger)
Sweeney Todd is so a Rogue, he cuts people's throats with a small bladed weapon from behind while their unsuspecting! How is that not rogue :P

Fair enough. He just looks so cool when he's wielding two! He could be a tiefling.

-Drillboss
Hetty Green, the Witch of Wall Street (which has it's own connotation when talking D&D!)

AND NOW...LET YOUR IMAGINATIONS RUN RAMPANT THROUGH A DARK EPISODE IN THE VICTORIAN ERA. I CHALLENGE YOU TO CRAFT, IN D&D FORMAT, THE STORY OF

LIZZIE BORDEN
Mr. Todd is Rogue, He never really used two razors at once (if you have to make with use two at once make him a half-elf and take a ranger or tempest fighter power.

I would stat him as a Half-elf Rogue trained in healing with bard Mc (he could sing :P and at the time most barbers with still also surgeons.)

I don't see Napoleon being a halfling ( I read some were is was not that short, but really taller the most of his men but I could have misread), I think he would be more of a gnome Inspirelord to me.

I had the same thought about using Crossbow stats for guns, The repeating once could be western rifles and 6-shooters (the Wild west was in victorian times after all)
Hetty Green, the Witch of Wall Street (which has it's own connotation when talking D&D!)

AND NOW...LET YOUR IMAGINATIONS RUN RAMPANT THROUGH A DARK EPISODE IN THE VICTORIAN ERA. I CHALLENGE YOU TO CRAFT, IN D&D FORMAT, THE STORY OF

LIZZIE BORDEN

A young dwarf girl who used killed her father and stepmother to seal an Infernal pact. (Pact Ax)
Yeah the reason why we think Napoleon is short is many of the portraits of him, is him with his Royal Guard. Who were all over 6 foot.
While it is silly...could Spring Heeled Jack make an appearance? As a monster?

Would Darwin be a wizard?
How close to history are you aiming? Because I'd really love to see the Belmont clan get in on some vampire hunter action.
'Doc' Holiday: History's most awesome gun-slinging dentist.

Otto von Bismarck: Hobgoblin taclord bent on maintaining his hobgobish aristocracy (while simultaneously uniting all goblin peoples).

Dorian Grey: Beautiful Abomination (since, you know, you can't kill him by conventional means).

Theodore Roosevelt: beastmaster ranger with a bear companion named 'Teddy.'
Dorian Grey is a lich... his painting is where his soul is kept deystory it and you kill him.

You Know between this thread and the manga Kuro*****uji makes me want to run a campain in there era... first mission for the PC find and Kill Dickens so no will have read the Christmas Carol ever again!:embarrass

Does any know if there was victorian Black Adder?

Edit: Oh for the love of... its part of another word! Sigh if you want to see the comic fallow the link and look for Kurosh ituji (I can fix the link by adding a space)
you need a steam punk artificer, imo
Actually, our Tesla is a steampunk artificer. His character is supposed to be at odds with most other people in the world, because of the high reliance on magic (in which the Eladrin have a significant monopoly over). He's seen as insane, but in his own mind, he's trying to represent to pinnacle of human ingenuity by creating objects that function without magic. this is, of course, all just flavor text.
well, then. looks like you've got it all covered.
In regards to Darwin, I think he could make a pretty interesting druid.

"Survival of the fittest! DEATH BY BEAR SLASH!"

Plus with his background in failed religion, there could be a possibility that the natural world and natural science became his new god per se.
I can see a great dungeon as the PCs try to escape the torture castle of H.H. Holmes.

What time period was Dr. Moreau?
Later Victorian I think, Dr. Moreau would be the daddy of all Shifters.

Has any one mentioned Jekyl and Hyde yet? I think would run them/him as a Druid (Hyde is just his wild shape primal beast side, and his caster with the alchemy feat as the good Dr.)
Sign In to post comments