1001 Ways to for your Common Class/Race Combo to Stand out

104 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is for all of those people who play one of the three recommended races for any class, as well as those that seem to be stuck at the corner of one race/one class and want some variety without changing either aspect of their character.

Warning: The following advice may or may not be sound. It may also make char op people laugh at you and your little dog too, especially if it makes you act silly or makes you slightly weaker mechanically.

1) Dwarven Fighters: You use a rapier and no shield, and no armor! You claim it makes you faster!

2) Tiefling Warlocks: Your powers were given to you by someone really, really nice and you like to do lots of good with your power. If you want to do evil, you feel no temptation to do so, even if you're a dark pact or infernal pact. You love everyone!

3) Swordmages: Your weapon is mechanically a sword but really something else (requires the GM's help).

4) Elves: You want to cut down all of the trees in the forest. Nature and music disgust you! You want to build a mechanical army to take over all of M- the world!

5) Martial Classes: For whatever reason, you want to solve problems peacefully. Though you will draw your weapon eventually (and maybe often), you always come to the table with peaceful intent until someone flips the table over and it lands on your feet.
Go to preferences at the top of the page to create a sig. If you have just figured out how to create a sig, like me, copy this into your sig.
6) Wizard- It's not magic. There's no such thing. There's a perfectly logical scientific reason I can shoot fireballs from the tips of my fingers, and I will find it!
7) Half-Orc Barbarian -- "would you like a spot of tea, goodsir?"
8) Dragonborn - "There are no such things as dragons! I'm an evolved lizardfolk!" :D
9) Eladrin - Make him up-close and extremely friendly. He greets with a bear hug, ruffles your hair just because he can, and gets in your face if you mess something up.
10) Dwarf- Pacifist teetotaller with a Japanese accent.
11) Dragonborn - You've inherited the draconic tendency to hoard. You love having lots and lots of gold, and you want to accumulate as much wealth as possible. Thoughts of honor mean nothing to you, and you could care less about some ancient dragonborn empire. All that matters is yourself, and getting a hold of as much gold as possible.

12) Barbarian - When you rage, it's a cold rage. Instead of shouting and howling, you're mostly silent, and just glare at your enemies with a cold, unnerving, hate-filled glare. You're also not mindless when you rage, but rather you become slightly more focused, if a bit single-minded, in your desire to destroy your foe.
D&D Experience Level: Relatively new First Edition: 4th Known Editions: 4th, 3.5 --- Magic Experience Level: Fairly skilled First Expansion: 7th Edition Play Style: Very Casual
13.) Artificer: You don't work with complex alchemical formulas. You just toss mix this powder and that liquid together, add some of this, and see what happens. It always seems to work, though.

14.) Barbarian: Your rages aren't rages at all. They're a manifestation of your fighting spirit, a literal power of awesome you can call forth when the need is great. When using it, you grin at enemies, and perhaps make some speech about believing in yourself in the middle of combat.

15.) A Wizard who enjoys Children's Card Games: You don't activate your magic spells through hard work and study. You instead carry around a deck of children's trading cards, and when you draw a card from the deck and lay it down, something amazing happens (usually). Believe in the heart of the cards, young one (or old one, as it may be).

A list of CharOp Handbooks I'm currently updating:

Heart of the Dragon: A Dragonborn's Handbook

Infernal Wrath: A Tiefling's Handbook

Trying to be normal is the best way to get noticed. I mean, come on; you live in a world with high magic, dragons and flying islands. Try to play a farmer, people will be like, what, are you kidding me!

I did that with my fighter/druid, he used a scythe; and had a hound dog as animal companion.
16) A Dragonborn Warlord that is extremely cowardly and insults and taunts his party into doing well in combat.

17) Dobbelganger Rogue that has shapeshifted once, and keep the new shape, no matter what. Always speaks the truth except about his true form, but still keep Bluff maxed.

18) Minotaur Ranger, sling as primary weapon.
19) A Drow Rogue who is hyperactively cheerful (rather than the stereotypical brooding or psychotic drow) and arachnophobic.

20) A Dwarf Cleric of Pelor who doesn't drink, has no interest in material wealth, and shaves his beard and hair off as a sign of humility.
15.) A Wizard who enjoys Children's Card Games: You don't activate your magic spells through hard work and study. You instead carry around a deck of children's trading cards, and when you draw a card from the deck and lay it down, something amazing happens (usually). Believe in the heart of the cards, young one (or old one, as it may be).

Inspired by the Abridged Series?

21. Dragonborn Paladin

You're a Paladin of the Raven Queen. Death to all, by any means (probably pick up a rogue multiclass to support this theme).
22. Drow Dark Pact Warlock who is scared of the dark because of the pact he made. "If I go into the shadows then they'll get my soul! MY SOUL!!" Screaming incoherently whenever you use your drow racial ability.
19) A Drow Rogue who is hyperactively cheerful (rather than the stereotypical brooding or psychotic drow) and arachnophobic.

I DM for a group that has a PC like that!
Inspired by the Abridged Series?

What gave it away? :D

23.) Antagonistic Beastmaster: A Ranger and his Beast Companion, an effective fighting unit, yet for some reason, they hate each other's guts. The reason is unclear, but they'll occasionally try to kill each other. Yet they stick together anyway because their combat effectiveness is second to none.

24.) Death Note: This applies to any character really. After every combat ends, you pick a journal out of your backpack, and write down who your enemies were, and how exactly you killed them. You've filled several volumes so far...

25.) Addicted Drow: You're all broody with a sense of superiority like most members of your race, and yet, there's this one thing which, when presented to you, makes you comply automatically. Whether you have an undying fondness for drake eggs, Scooby Snaks, or questionable magazines, you just can't say no when that particular item will be your prize when you complete the task. So of course, your "friends" use that tactic a lot.

I could see 25 in action. Male drow and female tiefling are the actors.
D:No! i won't help you enter the temple of lolth to save the elf child!
T: Are so sure?
D:Yes!
T: what about now? *waves a pictures of her on the swim team*
D: When do we start?
T: Thats what I thought you would say.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
26- (Currently in play in my game) Wizard with a familiar with a familiar scent... a skunk.

(Her name is Chanel and she's taken a liking to the rogue's sleeping bag.)
27: A troll who responds in a postive and productive manor to a 1001 thread
"Oh look! A 1001 uses for a 1001 thread!"
28. A pacifist cleric dedicated to Kord who is a kick-ass medic, but doesn't actually fight. He/she helps others fight better.
29.) A star pact warlock who made a pact with the sun. poses as a favored soul of pelor.
30) An Infernal Warlock that is scared about using his powers. He was extremely drunk while making the pact with a devil and doesn´t remember anything, not even what the devil looked like. devils that see him tend to smile a nasty smile or point and laugh, especially when his allies. He has a VERY strong feeling the pact came with some unpleasant fine print....

31) A rapier wielding Bugbear, STR-Cleric

I'm waiting for a 3.5 Wicked campaign to start up. My character's a white-haired munchkin Beguiler called Boqura.

Three guesses as to his personality and how he uses his spells...

32: Kobold Rogue. You were destined from birth to be a hero, to go beyond the tunnel walls, to be a knight fighting for honor and for glory.
And then you got pushed out of the tribe with a dagger and a leather jerkin.
You must act with honor and bravery, not using traps and ambushes like your kin. Is it your fault that you're good at hiding and yelling out your challenge a second before you slit throats?

33: Eladrin Wizard. You hate to study and read dull, boring books all the time. Instead of having to slave away at dusty tomes for half your life, the sheer power of the elements is yours to command at will.
They'll pay, those nerds, mocking me for going out and playing with fire and building sand castles! They'll pay!!!
Well, here's a couple characters of mine that are on my queue for use in LFR once I'm back in a place where those games happen.

Eladrin Wizard -- Essentially, she's the kid of a diplomat, so she grew up mostly among humans (Dalelands). Visiting the eladrin/elven forests was a family vacation once a year. Friendly, sociable, and curious. Enjoys hikes, but also spends much more time in doors than a normal eladrin. She's more than a little fond of fattening human food, so she's starting to get a bit of a paunch. She's only 5'2'' in height, and enjoys conversation about 'mundane' topics that bore other eladrin. She's very proud of her baking skills, and prefers social events to arcane study. Other eladrin think she's out of shape and boring, while humans are more prone to finding her the friendliest and most adorable eladrin they've met. Still enjoys aspects of her eladrin heritage, but doesn't feel that it is superior to any other.

Dwarf Fighter -- He realized that being in tight spaces made him uncomfortable, so chooses to not live in traditional dwarven communities. He's become much happier with a life of adventuring spent more often in the open air. Secretly writes songs about his adventures. Becomes more stereotypically gruff and potentially bloodthirsty in dungeons, as the tight spaces still agitate him. Regularly writes long, flowery letters home to his family, who would say something if not for his plans to adventure. They hope he'll "sober up" after killing a few dozen goblins.
36. Dragon Born Wizard- Cause the meaty lizard makes an interesting wizard backstory
37. A halfling who lives honestly and doesn't like to steal things. He prefers issuing formal challenges to combat and then breaking his opponents kneecaps in a fair fight.
37. A halfling who lives honestly and doesn't like to steal things. He prefers issuing formal challenges to combat and then breaking his opponents kneecaps in a fair fight.

I had a character that did that in my campaign; he was a Paladin with a fondness for generous cleavage. :D

38. A tiefling warlock that has defeated and dominated the (rather minor) devil he made a pact with, and uses him as a servant and as fodder for his whims (this usually bodes ill for said devil...).
I had a character that did that in my campaign; he was a Paladin with a fondness for generous cleavage. :D

38. A tiefling warlock that has defeated and dominated the (rather minor) devil he made a pact with, and uses him as a servant and as fodder for his whims (this usually bodes ill for said devil...).

hctib elttil? (Bonus point for the reference!)

39.) Whiney Dragonborn: Your parents instilled all this talk about honor and pride in your heritage, but you just want to live life the way you want (mainly writing depressing poetry). You left home, not to make your parents proud, but to get away from them, and you will b and moan about them to anyone who will listen.

40.) Elf who eats Tree Bark: Yeah, you love nature and all that, but MMMM!!! That tree bark sure is delicious... Maybe marinated, and with some garlic and curry sauce thrown on top?

41) Githzerai Monk - "Ooooh, shiny! What's over there?! Hey, cool, a purple squid head guy!"
42) An Illithid with chronic migraines.
43) Githyanki with a less than platonic love for his lich queen. Mmm, a dead girl who can say no...
43 is disturbing....
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Furthermore, is it even plausible? Being a reanimated corpse, the Lich Queen doesn't have hormones, and thus no urges of that kind, and I'm pretty sure she'd smite 43 for his audacity and insolence.
Eladrin Wizard -- Essentially, she's the kid of a diplomat, so she grew up mostly among humans (Dalelands). Visiting the eladrin/elven forests was a family vacation once a year. Friendly, sociable, and curious. Enjoys hikes, but also spends much more time in doors than a normal eladrin. She's more than a little fond of fattening human food, so she's starting to get a bit of a paunch. She's only 5'2'' in height, and enjoys conversation about 'mundane' topics that bore other eladrin. She's very proud of her baking skills, and prefers social events to arcane study. Other eladrin think she's out of shape and boring, while humans are more prone to finding her the friendliest and most adorable eladrin they've met. Still enjoys aspects of her eladrin heritage, but doesn't feel that it is superior to any other.

Yup. That eladrin would definitely stand out from how everyone else makes 'em. Friendly!? Eats food!? WHAT!?!?!?!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....looking for group?

44) A dwarven paladin to melora who capitans the ship and had welded a chain from the main mast to his full plate. whenever he is knocked overbord he just climbs the chain back up to the deck.
1. Drow Female Cleric - Arachnophobic atheist who believes Lolth can manipulate energy and not magic.
2. Dragonborn Fighter - Pyrophobic tree-hugging philanthropist with fire breath weapon.
3. Human Paladin - Chosen weapon: soggy noodle whip.

Richard is my hero.

45. Half Elf Warlord.....leading a campaign of terror against Humans and Elves, for neither have accepted him for who he is.

46. Halfling Warlock....made a pact with a fortune teller in hopes of becoming big

47.Elven cleric....of Erathis. Sorry, guys, but trees? Really? I'm thinking walls. And interstates.
Yup. That eladrin would definitely stand out from how everyone else makes 'em. Friendly!? Eats food!? WHAT!?!?!?!

I'll say! Where has she been all my life?!
51. A kobold paladin of Bahamut, who wears heavy armor and charges into the fray with a big f*ckin' sword, proud to serve "the biggest, bestest dragon of them all!"
49) A human fighter with one eye and a beard who uses a big ax and mumbles incoherently. Has momentary bursts of eloquent discourse that sometimes help the party but are usually only half relevant at best.
50) A human wizard who really, really thinks the primordials should have won since magic would be so much better that way.
51) A halfling rogue that unflinchingly serves the Raven Queen, suggesting such morbid solutions to party problems as curbstomping a doppelganger.
52) A dwarf cleric who was raised by humans in a big city and worships Erathis.
53) A dragonborn paladin of Bahamut who killed his own father because he worshiped Tiamat, and now wears his armor.
54) A dragornborn paladin who has renounced gods but retains his power through his belief that since gods don't help people, people have to help people. Recently took up a fey pact to help with his mission.

This just so happens to be our party.
58. A dwarf rogue, who thinks honor and gods are the things of the old folks who'd rather hide in their clanholds and grumble about the world. He, however, aims to get whatever he can out of life and is not above underhanded methods to get what he wants.
59) Tiefling Hellock. You cut off your horns and tail, bleached your skin, and now you pretend to be human.

((Numbering got off with Wychlornes post, people))
I'll say! Where has she been all my life?!

Young Verafel is in California, getting funny looks from all of the RPGA players who can't handle the idea of an eladrin who gets clothes off the normal rack actually likes talking to people.
43 makes me want to jump off a bridge...
51) A halfling rogue that unflinchingly serves the Raven Queen, suggesting such morbid solutions to party problems as curbstomping a doppelganger.

:heehee