Gnoll Last Names

19 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey Everyone,
I am making a Gnoll Barbarian and I am trying to think of a last name. The first name is Hectael, I am still working on a background. Thanks for your suggestion
-Depends on the setting, really. I'd go with something that sounds like a bark, though.
Trolls in sheep's clothing have no redeeming qualities that are beneficial towards the health of the community. My Artwork/Photography/Literature
Depends, do you want it in gnoll or in Common?

If he's a Barbarian, his last name could be "...son of (insert name here)," or "Of the (insert region here)," or "of the (insert Clan Name here)." Last names show lineage, occupations, homelands, character traits, etc.

You could always have him say, "Well, in my language it is *growling and barking* but in your language, it roughly translates to "Fur tinged with the red of spilled blood."

Hope this helps!
Thirded. I once introduced a gnoll PC as something like "Garrrraaaoouuuaaoouu". They just called him "Gary".
Gnolls don't strike me as the kind of race that'd use last names the way humans do. Maybe you could have a nickname that describes a defining characteristic, or possibly some honorific that describes his (former) position in the pack.
Gnolls don't strike me as the kind of race that'd use last names the way humans do. Maybe you could have a nickname that describes a defining characteristic, or possibly some honorific that describes his (former) position in the pack.

I agree. I imagine most savage humanoids don't have last names at all--or if they do, not like we do.

I would think that a pack creature such as a gnoll, if it had a last name at all, it would be the name of his tribe--such as "Gary of tribe Bloodmoon."
Useful Star Wars Saga Links
Complete Saga Index
Expanded Saga Races PDF
NPC/Encounter Requests Thread
Official Errata Thread
Official FAQ Thread

Personal Contributions: 10,000+ posts and counting!
(The current forum count is a lie!)

Check out my DeviantArt Gallery!
"Son of ______" sounds appropriate...

Hectael, son of Hawknails?
Thank you for the input. Now that I think about it Hectael of the _____ Clan seems to be appropriate. Thanks for hte help now I just have to think of a good clan name any suggestions?
Hectael of the Six Scars Clan
Hectael of the Muddy Heads Clan
Hectael of the Painted Cave Clan
Hectael of the Hollow Valley Clan
Hectael of the Blood River Clan
Hectael of the War Talker Clan
Tribe can also be used instead of Clan:

i.e. Hectael of the Mankiller tribe, ... Bloody Fangs, ... Sharp Claws, ... Liver Eaters etc.
Hyhukhuk, First Smeller of Tasty Rotten Owlbear Flesh

Ceterum censeo capsum rubeum esse delendam

Dog-like, I suspect that they respond best to simple, uncomplicated, two-syllable names.

<-- Always wanted to play a gnoll named "Precious" from the "lapdog" clan, that chases after her/his favorite PC-race character and lives for a scritch under the chin. Just knows that it'd get old might fast.

Aren't gnolls more related to hyenas than wolves or dogs?

Yeah, they resemble hyena's more. Hyena's also hunt in packs like wolves do.
I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both selfish and instinctive. I value growth and community, as long as they favour my own objectives; I enjoy nature, and I particularly enjoy watching parts of nature die. At best, I am resilient and tenacious; at worst, I'm uncontrollable and destructive.
Well, hyenas are usually scavangers, trying to scare aware other animals. And their barking is quite different from dogs.

I don't know if a hyena identifies itself by its pack. I have never talked to one :D

I envision them more centered on themselves, what they have done. But I may be totally wrong...

I wouldn't use a last name (as several other posters have mentioned), and I also wouldn't use a son-of/of X clan denomination (and remember they are usually a matriarchal society, or at least trace lineage through the women).
I suggest using a deed name as a proxy last name. Something like Hectael Chases Parked Carts, or Hectael Fells with One Blow.

Co-author on AoA 2-3 and 4-1.

Define "last name."

Surnames as we use them today are actually a fairly recent development in the grand course of human history. Until a few hundred years ago, surnames are descriptive terms or nicknames used to differentiate people with the same given name: David Baker makes bread, but David Bywater is a cobbler and lives near the river.

Names based on place were local things. The nearby lake or river, a hill upon which the person lived, or similar feature. These locative surnames were exclusive to the town or area. Generally, a person was not named after a large place (like a city) until they had left that place. At home, Drystan is called Drystan Davidson after his father, but if he were to travel to another city, he might be called Drystan of Wyewood, after his home region.

Sometimes these names were based on patronage: Tristan William's Son over time corrupted into Tristan Williamson. Can you guess who Hildegard Olafsdottir's father may have been?

Beyond surnames based on patronage, location or profession, some were also descriptive. Gabriel Halfhand is missing three fingers on his right hand. Descriptive surnames are also literal: a surname of Drakeshand, for example, would not mean "he strikes with a dragon's talons," but rather "his hand looks like a dragon's claw."

Remember, a surname is given to you by other people; it is not something you pick for yourself.

So for the OP's purposes, since we can assume a local locative surname would be impractical, picking a defining physical characteristic, a pastoral surname or a larger-scale locative surname (clan/tribe/pack works as well here, as other have mentioned) would be appropriate.

Thus, we arrive to some examples:

Hectael Blacksnout (if his muzzle were of notably darker fur color than the rest of him)
Hectael Brokentooth (if he has a prominently broken fang)
Hectael One-ear (if one of his ears was missing or damaged)
Hectael of Red Mountain (if his tribe/pack/clan hailed from a place called Red Mountain)
Hectael Wolfwood (if his tribe/pack/clan came from a place the other races knew as Wolfwood)
Hectael Garsson (if Hectael's father was called Gar)

From here, knowing how surnames came about in humans before they became the inherited surnames we use today, we can construct appropriate surnames from cultures that may place importance on other factors. For example, in a heavily meritocratic society that used ritual scarification to signify great deeds, Hectael Tenscars might be a mighty and feared name indeed. Surnames based on merit or deed would fall more closely in line with the modern concept of a nickname, callsign, or handle, though once again, surnames of any form are given to you, not chosen by you. So if our hypothetical gnoll were unremarkable or a coward in a meritocratic society, he might be called Hectael Unscarred instead -as great a mark of shame as his lack of branding.

So there you go. Hope it helps some.

....gods I'm such a geek.
-m4ki; one down, one to go

"Retro is not new. Retro-fit is not new." --Seeker95, on why I won't be playing DDN

|| DDN Metrics (0-10) | enthusiasm: 1 | confidence in design: -3 | desire to play: 0 | Sticking with 4e?: Yep. | Better Options: IKRPG Mk II ||
The Five Things D&D Next Absolutely Must Not Do:
1. Imbalanced gameplay. Any and all characters must be able to contribute equally both in combat and out of combat at all levels of play. If the Fighters are linear and the Wizards quadratic, I walk. 2. Hardcore simulationist approach. D&D is a game about heroic fantasy. I'm weak and useless enough in real life; I play RPGs for a change of pace. If the only reason a rule exists is because "that's how it's supposed to be", I walk. I don't want a game that "simulates" real life, I want a game that simulates heroic fantasy. 3. Worshipping at false idols (AKA Sacred Cows). If the only reason a rule exists is "it's always been that way", I walk. Now to be clear, I have no problem with some things not changing; my issue is with retaining bad idea simply for the sake of nostalgia. 4. DM vs. players. If the game encourages "gotcha!" moments or treats the DM and players as enemies, adversaries, or problems to be overcome, I walk. 5. Rules for the sake of rules. The only thing I want rules for is the things I can't do sitting around a table with my friends. If the rules try to step on my ability to roleplay the character I want to roleplay, I walk. Furthermore, the rules serve to facilitate gameplay, not to simulate the world. NOTE: Items in red have been violated.
Chris Perkins' DM Survival Tips:
1. When in doubt, wing it. 2. Keep the story moving. Go with the flow. 3. Sometimes things make the best characters. 4. Always give players lots of things to do. 5. Wherever possible, say ‘yes.’ 6. Cheating is largely unnecessary. 7. Don't be afraid to give the characters a fun new toy. 8. Don't get in the way of a good players exchange. 9. Avoid talking too much. 10. Save some details for later. 11. Be transparent. 12. Don't show all your cards. Words to live by.
Quotes From People Smarter Than Me:
"Essentials zigged, when I wanted to continue zagging..." -Foxface on Essentials "Servicing a diverse fan base with an RPG ruleset - far from being the mandate for 'open design space' and a cavalier attitude towards balance - requires creating a system that /works/, with minimal fuss, for a wide variety of play styles, not just from one group to the next, but at the same table." -Tony_Vargas on design "Mearls' and Cook's stated intent to produce an edition that fans of all previous editions (and Pathfinder) will like more than their current favourite edition is laudable. But it is also, IMO, completely unrealistic. It's like people who pray for world peace: I might share their overall aims, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for them to succeed. When they talk in vague terms about what they'd like to do in this new edition, I mostly find myself thinking 'hey, that sounds cool, assuming they can pull it off', but almost every time they've said something specific about actual mechanics, I've found myself wincing and shaking my head in disbelief and/or disgust, either straight away or after thinking about the obvious implications for half a minute." -Duskweaver on D&D Next
And the gods bless you for that! That was a very informative post! I didn't realize that was how I've generally been picking surnames for non-human characters, and it drives my players crazy when related NPCs don't have the same last name. For example, I have a drey (from Goodman Games) NPC named Grev Brokeneye. He was beaten and left for dead by his chieftess and taken as a servant by a drow patrol. He proved useful enough to be healed, but some damage to his brow had already set, so the healing magic wouldn't fix it. After all, it had healed already. His son, also taken as a servant by the drow, adopted his master's first name, Gromph (yep, the archmage got him), to indicate that he belonged to Gromph, but took the surname Grevson. It took them a long time to realize that Grev Brokeneye was Gromph Grevson's father, even though it was spelled out quite plainly (in my opinion). To keep things straight, Gromph calls him N'gromph, meaning "Not Gromph".
Well, hyenas are usually scavangers, trying to scare aware other animals. And their barking is quite different from dogs.

I don't know if a hyena identifies itself by its pack. I have never talked to one :D

I envision them more centered on themselves, what they have done. But I may be totally wrong...

Actually, hyenas (especially spotted hyenas) live In large packs led by the females; the largest known pack had 80 hyenas.

Also, hyenas aren't just scavengers; whether lion steals from hyena or hyena from lion can change from night to night.
Sign In to post comments