1001 Backstories

354 posts / 0 new
Last post
I dunno, that kinda lacks some of the punch. I mean, a catapault isn't gonna destroy the town if it's used. Probably something a little more dangerous, like some kind of stone or something, that when the command word is given causes a fireball, centered on idiot.;)

Hey there man ;) just trying to poke fun at Fallout
WoTC has gotten rid of the forums I came to know and love, if you think that the old Gleemax forums should be restored, add this to your signature.
I know, I know. I was just trying to bring it a little closer. I mean, a catapault doesn't have the same sense of impending doom. Know what I mean?
What a weird coincidence, I just finished reading that book (that was the first one I read from discworld, and am currently reading the one with Mort as Deaths apprentice). Anywho, I'm pretty sure I didn't see this one before (on this thread, at least):

Sex Fiend: Why do you adventure? To get hot chicks (or guys, as the case may be)! You thrive off of it, and without adventuring would be completely meaningless. Every single night (that you're not slaying a dragon) you find the hottest person you can find, and sleep with them. If they don't go with you based off of looks, you use your 'allmighty influence' to get them in bed with you.

Oh, and gold doesn't hurt either. ;)

Oh, Tek. You've obviously had hundreds for girlfriends...

187.) Reliving the glory days: In the days of your youth, you were one of the best adventurers around, dropping dragons left and right like it was nobody's business. But kids these days, they're doing it all wrong. So you suppose the quickest way to end this blatant disregard for traditions is to show them whippersnappers how it's really done!

188.) Explosions: You like to watch things explode. Kind of creepy, but if it's monsters you're exploding, and not people, you get paid for it, so it all works out, right?
I know, I know. I was just trying to bring it a little closer. I mean, a catapault doesn't have the same sense of impending doom. Know what I mean?

I suppose, but Fallout sass is Fallout sass to me, even if it doesn't entirely make sense, it can still be bloody hilarious.

Back on topic...
189. Escaped Slave
Once a slave to a vile master. Your skills, be they in sword or sorcery, were exploited by your master for his own ends. You eventually killed/escaped your master, after several months on the lam, you were taken in by an adventuring company in need of a member, they became your family and you became theirs, your destiny is ahead.
WoTC has gotten rid of the forums I came to know and love, if you think that the old Gleemax forums should be restored, add this to your signature.
I suppose, but Fallout sass is Fallout sass to me, even if it doesn't entirely make sense, it can still be bloody hilarious.

Back on topic...
189. Escaped Slave
Once a slave to a vile master. Your skills, be they in sword or sorcery, were exploited by your master for his own ends. You eventually killed/escaped your master, after several months on the lam, you were taken in by an adventuring company in need of a member, they became your family and you became theirs, your destiny is ahead.

And to invert that slightly...

190. Reformed Slaver
You used to be a heartless slaver, taking sentient beings captive and selling them to others. But you have seen the light. Perhaps defeat at the hands of adventurers, being saved by a cleric or paladin of (insert good deity here), or even being saved by a slave you captured has caused you to turn over a new leaf and attempt to free those you once placed in bondage.
Ironically resurrecting this topic with...

191. Back From the Dead
Once, on a distant battlefield, you were slain, you remember the sword rending through your flesh, and you are haunted by memories of the pain you felt for your last minutes of life. You died on that battlefield, but suddenly, you reawaken in the middle of a dark temple, you have lost all your skills, and most of your memory. You have little left aside from your name, and your knowledge of the world, you leave the temple with no clue as to the fate of your saviors, life's worth living again.
What? No new ideas?
192. Seeking Water: Your community is fairly isolated, but so far you've managed. However, a recent problem (no one really knows what) is causing the water in your communal well to drain quickly. The leader of your community has sent you out to look for water. As the first member of the community to ever leave, you are going to have to learn fast and hang tough if you want to survive. Your family and friends are counting on you, and you don't have much time!
Yay! Zousha has posted!
Not who you appear, and think, to be. The character has been altered from another type as an experiment (or curse) with little or no memory of life prior to the alteration. Excellent for running counter to type.
194. Xi's story

You and your tribesmen live in seclusion, making careful use of the little that has been provided. Your lives are simple, and sometimes difficult, but mostly tranquil. Then, one day, and a small clear object fell from the sky.
This small object is incredibly useful! It was hard enough that the women could roll dough much easier with it. It's perfect round mouth is ideal of pressing perfect decorations onto objects or flesh. Its hollow and perfectly rounded form makes for a perfect wind instrument, and it's sides make a pleasing ring when tapped with the right wood. It can carry water. It can be used as a perfect pestle. It's clear but bent form allows you to look through t and see things in strange new ways. It is a wonderful plaything for the children.
But having sent only one of this wonderful object, the gods disrupted your village life. Disorder was brought in, as people fought over the object. And the object, one day, was used as a weapon -- concussing and nearly killing one of the children!
The elders met and discussed the item, and what to do. They decided that the gods must be crazy, that the object is too dangerous. They elected one of their number -- you -- to carry it to the edge of the world and throw it off.

(Points if you recognize the movie, now almost 30 years old)
195. Sanzo Rip-Off

Once, you were an apprentice. However, on the night that your master picked to tell you that you were ready, that you didn't have any more to learn, demons (or some other dramatic appropriate evil monster) attacked, and stole you masters prize (and probably magical) possession. Now, you adventure to find the monsters and get it back.
194. Xi's story

You and your tribesmen live in seclusion, making careful use of the little that has been provided. Your lives are simple, and sometimes difficult, but mostly tranquil. Then, one day, and a small clear object fell from the sky.
This small object is incredibly useful! It was hard enough that the women could roll dough much easier with it. It's perfect round mouth is ideal of pressing perfect decorations onto objects or flesh. Its hollow and perfectly rounded form makes for a perfect wind instrument, and it's sides make a pleasing ring when tapped with the right wood. It can carry water. It can be used as a perfect pestle. It's clear but bent form allows you to look through t and see things in strange new ways. It is a wonderful plaything for the children.
But having sent only one of this wonderful object, the gods disrupted your village life. Disorder was brought in, as people fought over the object. And the object, one day, was used as a weapon -- concussing and nearly killing one of the children!
The elders met and discussed the item, and what to do. They decided that The Gods Must Be Crazy, that the object is too dangerous. They elected one of their number -- you -- to carry it to the edge of the world and throw it off.

(Points if you recognize the movie, now almost 30 years old)

(You said it right there.)
(You said it right there.)

Didn't say I wasn't making it easy. :-)

Anyhow, ding ding ding, we have a winner!
196. Chosen Servant: You aren't exactly the CHOSEN ONE. Sure the gods have a destiny for you, but you're not the Messiah who'll bring light to the darkness and save the land. That's your boss. Fate has directed you into the service of a person destined to do great things, and now forces you to serve them for no apparent reason. You end up doing most of the legwork, being sent on quests to retrieve things and being put into danger time and again by your charge and his or her associates. By the end you may be regarded as a hero by all, but you'll always be overshadowed by the one whom you served.

(Cookie to whomever gets the reference.)
197. The Overprotective Parent You lived your whole life relatively normally. You raised kids and pursued a career and now you're close to hitting retirement and letting your now grown children take of you...Up until your youngest (the one you always did worry about), decides to take off with that adventuring group that passed through town. Now you're hellbent on finding that brat and dragging them back home. Not before strangling them for worrying you first though.

198. The Victim of Political Fallout You were rubbing elbows with some of the greats back in the good old days. That was until a new king came into power or a new council was elected. Now they want to rid the country of any trace of the old regime and guess what you just happen to be? You decided to book it before they planned the public humilation and/or execution. Now you adventure to get by until either the old king gets back in power or the empire changes hands again.
199. P......

You wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch monsters is your test
To train them is your cause

You will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Teach the monsters to understand
The power that's inside

P......

Gotta catch 'em all--
It's you and me
You know it's your destiny
P......!

Ooooh, it's your best friend
In a world you must defend

P......!

Gotta catch 'em all--
Your hearts so true
Your courage will pull you through
You teach it and it'll teach you

P......!

Gotta catch 'em all!
Gotta catch 'em all!
Yeeaa.

Every challenge along the way
With courage you can face
You will battle everyday
To claim your rightful place

Go with him the time is right
There's no better team
Arm in arm you'll win the fight
It's always been our dream

P......!

IMAGE(https://www.fantasiapelit.com/pikkukuva.php?img=larg2/8193.jpg)
Wait a minute! I already posted the "To Be A Master" background. Doesn't this count as an example of that?
Wait a minute! I already posted the "To Be A Master" background. Doesn't this count as an example of that?

This one is a variation -- to be master and friend at the same time. Pokemasters are basically, dog people -- "I want to dominate you, and yet continually have my belief that I deserve your undying loyalty reinforced."
200. Aging Arrogance: You are a venerably old (wo)man of great power and experience. Over the years you grow ever more weary of the impudence of the younger generations towards their elders. So you set out on a personal quest to teach the young folk of the world some manners. You use your age and disguise your true abilities--loving nothing better then to best and humiliate an insolent welp that understimated your power.
201. Ash J. Williams - Your a normal guy in your 20's living a 'normal' life. You work at S-Mart, and have a girlfriend, Linda. However, dark magic has conspired against you. Taking your right hand and nearly your life, you've faced horrors no man should have to see. You find yourself thrust into a different time where monsters and demons rule the earth. With your trusty 'BOOM STICK' and a 'Chainsaw' strapped to your right arm, you have to force back the darkness and find a way home!
201. Ash J. Williams - Your a normal guy in your 20's living a 'normal' life. You work at S-Mart, and have a girlfriend, Linda. However, dark magic has conspired against you. Taking your right hand and nearly your life, you've faced horrors no man should have to see. You find yourself thrust into a different time where monsters and demons rule the earth. With your trusty 'BOOM STICK' and a 'Chainsaw' strapped to your right arm, you have to force back the darkness and find a way home!

Best off Broadway show ever.

http://www.evildeadthemusical.com/

When we went to see it, we were in the third row. We were warned that the first two rows were a "splatter zone." :-) (It was astounding how they were able to drench the first two rows over and over, without hitting the third.)
I think this counts.

2. Student Loans: You have been expelled from school for failure to pay tuition and other costs. (I've been wanting to play a wizard who is in this predicament and is adventuring to raise money to pay off his school debts).

That is a really good idea....and it's very true to life.
Vendetta: The background of my half-elf ranger is she saw her father killed by skeletons when she was 7yrs old. Her mother died when she turned 15 and was exiled from the elven village because of her half-blood status. When she was young, she killed a giant and that lead her to the adventurer's life. Hence Undead is her first favored enemy, then Giant. And she aspires to achieve the "Hunter of the Dead" prestige class, hence my username here. :D
You might want to add a number to that so we can keep track of it.
198. The Victim of Political Fallout You were rubbing elbows with some of the greats back in the good old days. That was until a new king came into power or a new council was elected. Now they want to rid the country of any trace of the old regime and guess what you just happen to be? You decided to book it before they planned the public humilation and/or execution. Now you adventure to get by until either the old king gets back in power or the empire changes hands again.

Sounds a lot like the life of Niccolo Machiavelli, after being exiled from Florence after a coup, he wrote the Prince to get back in the good graces of the Medici family, who ruled Florence.
203. Cursed Someone powerful got a hold of you and made something about you work differently. You may like the taste of evil, have a physical or mental deformity, or even appreciate the person who did it to you.

In the vast majority of cases, people don't take kindly to people who do these things to people. If you don't appreciate this happening to you, you may want to take revenge. The person who cursed you may have had a purpose or was just evil enough to try it on a sentient being. A curse is rarely helpful, though if it does help you in some way it often works towards the curser's purposes.

204. Hunted You are ever eluding the clutches of someone or something. You could have an entire kingdom after you...or even just that one evil person who you and your band swore to take down. Maybe (s)he gets their sick kicks by toying with you and proving that you can't fight back or by haunting you in your sleep. Or maybe you just slept with the King's daughter and he's decided that he'd like your head on his wall.

No matter how it works, you're not one to stay still unless you're very well hidden. In some cases, you can't (and won't) even hide. Perhaps you strive to make peace with your pursuers or to end this threat to your existence by whatever means necessary...
Go to preferences at the top of the page to create a sig. If you have just figured out how to create a sig, like me, copy this into your sig.
Number is actually up to 204 posted by Ian0311 (numbers 203 and 204), someone forgot to put a number down a few posts up. Next one should be 205.
Removed, as it duplicated another number.
206. Outcast in the Loop

You're the black sheep that the group puts up with because of your merit. You may be the CG servant of paladins or the LN member of the Barbarian tribe, but you're more useful than the average throwaway servant. Even so, maybe you have some purpose that makes all of your screw ups worth it. You could be the princess, the piece of a prophecy, or even some sort of conduit for a ritual...
Go to preferences at the top of the page to create a sig. If you have just figured out how to create a sig, like me, copy this into your sig.
206 Best Friends Forever

Gosh the guys in the party are so so awesome to you. They are the best friends ever. Like last time they asked you to come to the dungeon -- they all agreed that you were the most suited to go first! And Fizziwig the wizard has such confidence in your reflex and healthy stamina, that you're the only party member that he trusts can get himself out of the way of a fireball or burning hands. You've protested that you're no expert, but they still agree that you're the best suited to try and disarm traps. They all agree that you're the only one strong enough to carry all of the sleeping bags and rations when adventuring. And they have such faith in your natural skills without using artificial crutches that they don't feel the need to distribute any magical items to you from the party pool. It's a great feeling to be so trusted, needed, and central to a group.
36. Hopeless Addict: You are addicted to some sort of drug. While the drug has no deadly effects if taken properly, you go through terrible withdrawals without it. Because of this, you adventure to make money to support your habit. You know you're pathetic, spending money that you risked your own life to get for a short buzz, but quitting's just so damn hard!

Uh, Dio1632?
207. Hard to please lich

You used to have a wife and family, one day you fell into a hole and broke your legs. At the bottom of the hole was an senile lich. The senile lich nurses you back to health, mistaking you for his long dead apprentice. The lich berates your lack of magical skill until pleasing the lich becomes the driving force in your life. You forsake your family to master magic and gain the lich's approval.
208. Apprentice

Your master is gone for one reason or another. You may go after them to avenge them. You may be glad that they're gone so you can step out of their shadow. You may not even know and just be doing your job until you find out that they aren't around anymore and want to find out where they got off to (or what got rid of them, if it's common knowledge that the master is dead).

209. Master

Your damnable apprentices have gotten into trouble. Maybe the local dragon took them hostage to anger you. Worse, maybe they've gotten thrown in jail and you have to raise bail for their sorry butts or their families will make you suffer for your inaction. Whether you go after them because you're obligated to or because you care, you have been drawn into a quest to save them.
210. The Long Game

You're a con man, a thief, or a spy. Either you're pulling a long game on someone in the party (presumably a particularily rich or powerful party member), or you're after whatever artefact they're after, or you need the particular skills of a party member either in the short term (party member designed a particular security system, or knows the location of a MacGuffin) or the long (party member has access to state secrets, lays golden eggs).
211. The Hands-On Researcher

You're come up with a new theory of [magic/swordsmanship/quantum mechanics], and you've decided that the best way to test it is in the field, as it were.

You may be planning to use your newfound knowledge to write the Book of Five Rings, or revolutionize alchemy, or become filthy rich, or share the knowledge to improve the lives of all.
212. The Entertainer

You are an actor, sent from an alternate reality/rich city/powerful cult. They are using supernatural means to watch your every move, cheering you as a gladiator. You are doing this for money/freedom/glory.

(Shamelessly stolen from Matthew Stover's "Cain")
In need of answers
You once were part of an adventure group. One day one of them betrayed you all and sold out. That one member had joined forces with some evildoer and together they killed the adventurers. But somehow you survived and ran away for safety. With tattered, shredded, bloodied clothes you arrive back in the town which your party used as a base.

Withdrawn within yourself trying to understand what happened and coping with the horrors you've seen unravel before your eyes you go for the bottle. Everyone who talks to you gets ignored, but after a while a few travels hit a nerve and you brutally kill them.

So you end up in jail sobering up and being forced to think. You're not sure what you want, but you know that you need to meet up with the one that betrayed you and killed your former comrades. You don't know whether you let him live, kill...but you do know that you want answers of Why.

On the Run
You've build up a life as a well respected rogue in your community and even made it to freelance security officer and worked for several big companies. Your name is well known and one day a noble asks for your service to retrieve a artisan recipy for a special piece of weaponry. But this recipy is locked away securely so you need to "steal it", or as the noble will try to cover it up as a conspiracy within community groups that is going on.

After stealing that recipy you get told to deliver it to someone in a nearby village with a port. There a someone will wait for you to deliver the recipy and ship it off.

You've just been tricked into stealing one of the biggest kept secrets of the community. Now they've also send a group of assassins after you. To stay safe you decide to join a group of adventurers and roam around until you figure out why you got set-up. Who the final recipient of the recipy is and what they're planning to do with it. And all that while you're on the run from assassins and try to keep the rest of the group out of the loop of why they occasionally get bothered by assassins.
215 Escaped from the Asylum

You've spent a large portion of your life locked away due to mental instability. But you know you're not crazy, right? Sure every now and then some voices can be heard on the wind and you see things that aren't quite normal but that's just an aftereffect with being locked away with truly insane people, or so you hope. Who knows what you'll do know, it depends on what the winds tell you to do.
216 Cut Off

One day, someone decides you don't deserve your magic power and they perform the ye old magic sever on you. You manage to survive and not commit suicide long enough to become better at something else or to forget your life as someone cool.

Later on, you become an adventurer. Maybe you want revenge, or your magic powers have returned but you have less control, or something. No matter what purpose brings you into adventuring, you probably feel a lot weaker than you did when you had the help of magic. In due time, you may overcome these feelings of inferiority by becoming better at something else or maybe you'll just up and kill the person who cut you off. That'll probably make you feel better.
Sign In to post comments