1001 Backstories

354 posts / 0 new
Last post
No, we don't have to stop at 1001. We just have to get there or else we'll have to change the name of the thread.;)

As for how to describe the Doctor...hoo boy, real can of worms that one. You have an extensive, almost encyclopedic knowledge of the universe around you, and you wander through time righting wrongs to ensure the optimal outcome. You have an unbelievable ammount of blood on your hands, and there will most likely be more to come. You prefer outwitting your opponents to outright physical violence. One thing that you're most known for is essentially warning the enemy to cease and desist, or suffer the consequences, and if they refuse, you put them through torment that would make demons shudder (Ever seen "The Family of Blood"? That kind of torment.). You also have no real qualms about causing the extinction on an entire species if they refuse to listen to you, but show great compassion for individual people. I could go on. Note that this is primarily a description of the Tenth Doctor, performed by David Tennant. If you think of just "the Doctor", it could be any one of the incarnations, and each one was different.

Anyway, hope that's helpful.

Good! And yes, very helpful! I've only just recently started watching the series, so that's probably why I had problems explaining him.

104. The Creepy Guardian: You were basically a stalker when you were growing up, you would follow people around if you thought that they were in danger or that they were causing problems with other people. You may have been successful or not so successful, but you now wander the roads searching for people to protect and people to vanquish. You may try to stay in one place, but it never works out for long because people would label you a stalker, you'd be socially isolated and no one would listen to you.
105. People are Naturally Good...right?: You've seen people do a lot of things over the course of your life. Some of it might be labeled good, some of it might be labeled otherwise. But in your heart of hearts, you believe that people have good intentions and if given the option, will always choose good over evil. You strike out to gather evidence to support this fact and to hopefully instill some courage in others so that they too can do the right thing.
Gee who does that remind me of?

Hmm...

IMAGE(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/lovefreakeflonne.JPG)
The original Love Freak. Accept no substitutes.

106. Robin Hood: A lot of people say "There are people who have too much and people who have too little." You're one of those people that adds "and I'm gonna do something about it!" to the end. You steal from the rich, or take from the monsters, and you give to the needy who can't afford to support themselves. You naturally distrust authority and the law, believing them to be corrupt institutions created to line the pockets of the powerful. Ooh-de-lally!

I AM RAVINGDORK, AND I APPROVE THIS THREAD!

107. Racist (non-violent): You believe that your race is superior above all others. You adventure far and wide, attempting to prove it to the world in some grandiose manner.

108. Racist (violent): You seek to destroy one or more races you deem inferior to your own. You are intelligent enough to not act out in inappropriate situations (killing someone in the middle of a town for example) though you make your disgust of the target race(s) well known. You may even work with lesser races (other party members maybe?), manipulating them the useful pawns as a means of taking them to their own destruction. You adventure across the world seeking a true-fire method (an artifact weapon per chance?) of bringing low your hated enemy more or less in one fell swoop.

109. Continue the Memory: A great hero you personally knew has finally perished in their fight against evil. (Maybe you were a civilian priest that treated the hero's wounds.) You have now made up your mind to relinquish your civilian status and seek out adventure and follow the dead hero's footsteps--a living tribute to the hero's memory.

How did I not come across this awesome thread earlier!?
Well, if we're in the habit of quoting scifi tv shows...

110. The Plucky Captain: Always out to see the job done, you travel with your party, venturing out for the pure motive of survival. You have some stories in the past, but they are behind you...if others will allow it to be behind you. You don't want to see anyone in your party hurt, either physically or emotionally. If someone does, there'll be hell to pay... (Great for a Warlord!!)

111. The Malcontent: No matter what you do, or how you do it; you just can't please anyone around you. You get the job done, and everyone congratulates you, but sooner or later, they'll turn from you again. So, a little trouble here or there to get people to pay attention isn't too bad...

112. The Weapon Master: Be it skill, training, or pure luck, you're good with a blade/bow/club/pointy-thing-to-kill-something. Maybe you're looking for a challege to finally test your abilities? Maybe you're trying to survive? Maybe you're just bored. Whatever the reason, you've got a gift, my friend. Use it well...
113. Death Seeker: You lost someone (or someones) dear to you in a most violent manner. Having lost much of your sanity as a result, you now travel the world seeking answers to unanswerable questions about the way of things (life, death, and fate perhaps?) in hopes of one day simply understanding the world you live in.

Sample character background for #113

Appearance: Cadeus is dark in both appearance and mood. With his shaved white hair, dark ruddy skin, chiseled features, and intense gaze, he has an air of power about him that few others can match. He would be considered handsome if only it weren’t for his frightening appearance.

Clothing: Cadeus prefers black clothes of various kinds (the so-called Mourningwear worn by so many Cyran refugees). He disdains the typical robes common to spellcasters, realizing that such garments would only make him an obvious target to enemies. He also prefers clothing that allows him to easily hide material components and devices that may not be socially acceptable, such as humanoid finger bones, poison, and the like.

Personality: Those who know him say Cadeus was touched by Xoriat in his grief. Despite his intermittent madness, he is very cunning and keenly aware of his surroundings. He has become a masochist of sorts, scarring his arms with sharp instruments in order to keep his mind clear from thoughts of his horrific past. It is only through the blurred redness of the physical pain that he can escape the tormenting images of his two beloved children, Lorai and Daltin. Like the Children of Winter sect, he believes that death is inevitable and that only the strong will survive the coming of the end of the current age. To this end, he wanders the Mournland in hopes of growing stronger and finding a way to reunite himself with his family.

Region of Origin: Cadeus grew up in Eston, Cyre as a cleric of the Sovereign Host up until the Day of Mourning.
History/Background: Cadeus and his young brother, Gedrel Harkon, were visiting a sister church in Seaside, the City of Sails, when the dead gray mist appeared and engulfed everything. With hundreds of other terrified citizens, the Harkon brothers huddled on the nearby docks only feet from the mist’s deadly touch. Fearful for the wellbeing of his friends, Gedrel ventured into the strange mist on the first day; only to collapse and die the moment he set foot upon the land. After seeing his brother fall, Cadeus ran to him only to be tackled by several burly sailors. It took six men to hold Cadeus back as the mist enveloped Gedrel’s corpse.

Survivors crazed with grief and desperate to see what happened to their kin, dared the mist on the second day…and were unharmed. The search of Seaside for survivors began. No bodies were found however, not even Cadeus’ younger brother. Worried for the rest of his family, Cadeus trekked across the blasted graveyard of his country to his hometown of Eston. He found the remains of his old home, but found not but a nightmare that would torment him everlasting. His two young children had hidden themselves in a closet in fear. Lorai and Daltin’s charred remains lay there still, the surrounding closet walls having protected them from the eldritch energies like so much parchment. The sight shattered Cadeus’ resolve and he had to be forcefully removed from the Mournland. His wife, Erine, was never found.

Like so many others that day, Cadeus’ life changed forever. He lost all faith in his church, fell into a deep depression, and was nearly killed. Mad with grief, Cadeus attempted to end his life by throwing himself bodily into the raging rocky river rapids of the Dagger River in Southern Breland. Fate, however, simply refused to end his misery. As his body lay broken upon the rocks, a pair of poachers, who had been hunting illegally nearby, pulled him from the river and carried him to the nearest city for treatment.

In the coming months after his attempted suicide, all that was left for his mutilated body was pain, an endless blur of throbbing agony and heartache. In the end, it was in this pain that he found clarity. On the first anniversary of the Day of Mourning he chose a new spiritual path, one he believed would grant him powers over life and death—and the fate of all that lived or had lived. Having lost everything to the Mourning, he began traveling the world taking on the most violent jobs he could find to increase his new, darker powers. Eventually, he retired to the Mournland to search for a way to reunite himself with his family. Now, years later, he exists as little more than a legend, a tragic tale, passed on by Cyran refugees.

Character Hook: You cannot kill a man who is already dead.

I AM RAVINGDORK, AND I APPROVE THIS THREAD!

107. Racist (non-violent): You believe that your race is superior above all others. You adventure far an wide attempting to prove it to the world.

108. Racist (violent): You seek to destroy one or more races you deem inferior to your own. You are intelligent enough to not act out in inappropriate situations (killing someone in the middle of a town) though you make your dislike well known. You may even work with lesser races (other party members?), manipulating them as pawns as an ends to their own destruction. You adventure across the world seeking a true-fire method (an artifact weapon perhaps?) of bringing low your hated enemy more or less in one fell swoop.

109. Continue the Memory: A great hero you personally knew has finally perished in their fight against evil. (Perhaps you were a civilian priest that treated the hero's wounds.) You have now made up your mind to relinquish your civilian status and seek out adventure and follow the dead hero's footsteps--a living tribute to the hero's memory.

How did I not come across this awesome thread earlier!?

Welcome to the fold, RavingDork!

114. Fragmented Soul: Through some mishap, whether the vengeance of a petty deity, the whim of a cosmic horror or even by sealing a pact with a devil, your soul no longer resides in your body, and has been scattered into fragments throughout the land. If you die, you cannot pass on to whatever afterlife you've earned, floating in limbo for eternity (unless you're raised from the dead). The fragments of your soul have been infused into a number of monsters that live in remote and dangerous locations. By slaying these monsters, you may regain a portion of your soul, and when all are slain, your soul will be complete again.
115) Accidental Hero:
All you ever wanted in life was a confortable and risk free life. Doesn't seem fate or the gods are with you on that one. Despite your best atempts to avoid danger, you not only get in too far worse things that whatever you were avoiding, but you also somehow manage to win despite all. This has earned you an underserved heroic reputation that only puts you further at risk.
Kinda like COMMISSAR CIAPHAS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM! Am I right?:D
116.) Archrival: In your hometown/while you were training, you knew this big a**hole, and both of you swore to outdo the other. Your adventuring now, gaining experience for that definitive showdown when the two of you will decide once and for all who is the best.

117.) Inigo Montoya: You killed my father. Prepare to die.
117.) TAG!!!

You started a game of tag way back when you were a kid, and it's still going on. You left your home town to either tag the rest of the world, or to never be "it" again.
117.) Inigo Montoya: You killed my father. Prepare to die.

And Lord_Ventnor wins the thread! :D
Seconded!
And Lord_Ventnor wins the thread! :D

Seconded!

118.) Demon Spawn: Literally. You probably have bunch of hell-related abilities and whatnot. Also might be emo.
25. Divine Scion: You are the child of a god. You may be aware of this, or perhaps you aren't. Something about you sets you apart from mere mortals, whether that is superhuman strength, unnatural beauty, or some unique trick that only you can do. Will you model your life after your divine parent? Will you rebel and become the antithesis of their dogma? Will you ascend to join your divine family, or choose to remain a mortal in the world you grew up in?

A-hem!
A-hem!

Ah. My bad then.
No problem. Your replacement's even better. Hillariousness!
No problem. Your replacement's even better. Hillariousness!

If a little vague on goals and purpose...

...perhaps the hero adventure because he is trying to find the missing link in his heritage and how he came to be?
119. Daddy's Shadow

You father was very famous in his career. Everyone, everywhere you go, says you look just like him, and must be in the same line of work, and he must be so proud. But you *hate* his line of work! You are seeking a corner of the world where your father is not known, or at least where you might gain enough respect in your own field to outshine daddy!

120. Family Expectations

Your family is made up of all sorts of characters. Grampa, who lives in his workshop, still trying to perfect a flying machine. Momma, who regularly protests the treatment of women, and organizes big events where women burn their corsettes. Auntie, who is out grave-robbing all the time but insists that it is "archeology." Your Cousin who has been campaigning for sentient monster representation on the city council "all they want is to be treated with respect!" Uncle, who likes to blow things up -- a lot. Other Uncle, who dates only elves (ewww). Third Cousin, who "likes the challenge" of running a china-shop in space rented in the corner of the bawdiest drinking establishment in town. And now, it's your turn. The whole family and town is rooting for you to find some bold new way to embarrass the town with your antics. And you have chosen to do so as an adventurer.

This one is here by way of replacement, to keep numbering straight:

121. Dancing Machine, looking to get his/her groove back.

Inspiration courtesy of the Scissor Sisters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZkcy-b-j3A

Wake up in the morning with a head like 'what ya done?'
This used to be the life but I don't need another one.
Good luck cuttin' nothin', carrying on, you wear them gowns.
So how come I feel so lonely when you're up getting down?

So I play along when I hear that favourite song
I'm gonna be the one who gets it right.
You better know when you're swingin' round the room
Look's like magic's solely yours tonight

But I don't feel like dancin'
When the old Joanna plays
My heart could take a chance
But my two feet can't find a way
You think that I could muster up a little soft, shoop devil sway
But I don't feel like dancin'
No sir, no dancin' today.

Don't feel like dancin', dancin'
Even if i find nothin' better to do
Why'd you break down when I'm not in the mood?
Rather be home with no one when I can't get down with you

Cities come and cities go just like the old empires
When all you do is change your clothes and call that versatile.
You got so many colours make a blind man so confused.
Then why can't I keep up when you're the only thing I lose?

Don't count this one (being edited away): As it is only a variant of Zousha_Omenohu's number 60!

121. You have never known . . .

You have never known this wonderful feeling called "fear." It can make people stand stock still. It can make knees shake in excitement. It is credited with saving lives. You must experience this wondrous thing. Best suited for a race that is fearless, but barring that a character with high resistance against fear would keep the game going on longer. (Thank you Wagner)

122. "Deliverator" - Your job was simple, take parcel A to location X a.s.a.p. You were good. You were fast, efficient, and nobody messed with you. They knew who you represented and, even if they were dumb enough to ignore your banner, you had two swords ready to drive the point home. Then something went wrong. The customer who was not to be p1ssed off was given good reason to be p1ssed off. It's not your fault but they won't listen to reason. So here you are, doing freelance running and some odd jobs on the side. Just remember to keep your head down until you can pay off your debt.

(Name and concept taken from Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson, with a little of Han Solo mixed in for good measure.)
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
123. Behind the Scenes

Your don't want fame. You don't want glory. If it was just money, there are easier ways to money. If it were just power, there are easier ways to power. You want, instead, to make some one else into a hero; to grant someone else's wish. You'll be there, advising on the best thing to say, and helping to make sure that opportunities stay open for him. (Inspiring Warlords can do this well on the scene of battle, and off the scene going to people to cajole or blackmail them to give glory to the character being promoted.)
124. The Healer... You are a gentle soul in a world of violence and chaos. You seek to aid the suffering of your companions as well as those you come across in the world. You seek to right wrongs by showing kindness is always an option.

125. The Righteous Firebrand...You serve as a priest(ess) of a Lawful Good Diety. You seek converts with powerful speeches and smiting the unrighteous. You figuratively (and in some cases literally) beat people over the head with your religion.

126. The Environmental Avenger...As a Ranger, you chose to protect the wilderness in and around your homeland, now evil monsters/merchants/trade guilds have destroyed the pristine wilderness that you once called home. You adventure to gain allies to combat this evil as well as build capital to ensure that the area is forever protected.

127. Soul Sundered... As an apprentice to a powerful Warlock/Wizard, you hoped to gain knowledge, forbidden or otherwise. Upon waking after being knocked unconcious from reading a dangerous scroll/tome, your master informs you that your soul was rent asunder and a portion is now under control of a low level devil/demon and now you must get it back!

128. The Reluctant Thief... Your thieving has finally been noticed by the Despot that controls your town/country...your choice : find a particularly powerful artifact and steal for him/her or watch your family suffer a fate worse than death. The catch...you cannot tell your allies or companions about your quest. Any mention and the magical dweomer kicks in and your family is toast!
60. The Boy Who Left Home To Find Out About The Shivers: You were always regarded as strange by your family and neighbors. Where they felt fear, you only felt curiosity. Where they cringed, you went forth, wondering what all the fuss was about. As a result, adventuring seemed like a natural calling for you, since according to them, you weren't afraid of anything. And that made you curious? What is this thing they call fear? Why do people shudder and shake? You've set off to find something that'll give you a right-good scare. Unfortunately, given your nature, that day may never come.

A-hem, dio1632!

I'm seeing more and more reiterations of ideas I've already posted!
129. The Greatest Faerunian Hero...You are presented a suit of armor/wand/staff/weapon etc...by a group of powerful anonymous beings. However, they forgot to include the instruction manual! as you gain levels, your control over said item becomes greater, however, you still manage to accidentally knock over buildings/mountains etc... Comic hilarity ensues!
A-hem, dio1632!

Then stop putting up awesome ideas that give people the irrefutable urge to repeat them. jk.

130.) Food
You eat, that is your thing. You may take up the bow/sword/magic on the side to burn off those calories, only now there is no more food left in your town (and your inheritance is running low). So you set off to gather more gold to pay for more food. Only as you travel, you learn to enjoy the unique cuisine, so now your goal is not to eat EVERYTHING, it's to eat everything from every where.
131 The Mister Smith A regular Mr. Smith from Shoot 'Em Up. You don't want to be out saving the world and would personally like living a life in which almost no one even knows you exist; but some people really just **** you off and you're they only one able to set them straight, usually with a well placed carrot or crossbow bolt.

132 Doctor Jones You like studying ancient civilizations and teaching others about them; getting into fights and being constantly shot at gets to be a pain though.

133 The Prince (Prince of Persia) You're typically a scoundrel and busy spending your money on pleasures but that never lasts as you get wrangled into trying to stop a catastrophe of world shattering effects, though you may be the cause at times.

134 The Real Tom Sawyer You never really liked doing things yourself. So you payed-off and coned others into doing your work and now it is better for your health to avoid places you've been before.
130. The Inconstant Historian...As an outrider for a merchant caravan, everything is going as normal. Until your Captain sends you to scout for a shortcut around a recent avalanche rockfall. The cave looked normal enough, unbeknownst to you, it's a Spell Plague affected portal that tosses you into a distant past in which you appear at a crucial battle that was won by your people/tribe/clan....your presence at an inopportune moment causes them to lose and get massacred by the enemy. Now, you quest to find an ancient artifact of immense power that will allow you to put history on the right track again, not only saving your people, but your future unborn self in the process.
Then stop putting up awesome ideas that give people the irrefutable urge to repeat them. jk.

130.) Food
You eat, that is your thing. You may take up the bow/sword/magic on the side to burn off those calories, only now there is no more food left in your town (and your inheritance is running low). So you set off to gather more gold to pay for more food. Only as you travel, you learn to enjoy the unique cuisine, so now your goal is not to eat EVERYTHING, it's to eat everything from every where.

It's true. Sometimes I wonder how I was cursed with such talent! :D

Interesting idea. I may have to borrow elements of this for my next character.
It's true. Sometimes I wonder how I was cursed with such talent! :D

Interesting idea. I may have to borrow elements of this for my next character.

Inspired by the intro of the 3rd episode of season 2 of slayers.
136. Cannibal inspired by 130. You eat your own race (or all sentient races), which causes you no end of social stigma. So now you quest in order to stay away from those who find you repulsive and to quell your hunger.

137. Fallen God You dont pray to other gods becuse, well, you were one. Perhaps you where cast out from your panthion, went into hiding, or simply wanted to become mortal again, you walk the earth. Will you try to get back to your old glory or forge a new path?

138. We have rights to! Your a member of some sort of monsterous race like goblin, orc, or kobald. However you seek to bring your peaple in the light of the other grand races (humans, elves, dwarf, and others). You are always on guard and doing good works to prove your race just as noble as any other.
139. Miniature Giant Space Hamster. Perhaps you are dumb as a rock. Perhaps you are crazy as a loon. But maybe, just maybe, your "pet" hamster really is a Miniature Giant Space Hamster sent to guide you on your journey. And your hamster is telling you to put your foot up Evil's collective heiny.
139. Miniature Giant Space Hamster. Perhaps you are dumb as a rock. Perhaps you are crazy as a loon. But maybe, just maybe, your "pet" hamster really is a Miniature Giant Space Hamster sent to guide you on your journey. And your hamster is telling you to put your foot up Evil's collective heiny.

Oh my that brings back memories! :D
Oos, thanks. Fixing now! I don't think that anyone else suggested enything like the new version of 121! (runs to hide from the reaction.)

A-hem, dio1632!

Don't think anyone's thought of that. You're good.
A bit of a remix of the god/demon scion, but with a twist:

140) God/demon scion (remix): You are the child of a god/archfiend that has been created for a very specific reason. Be it to accomplish some prophecy or end the world as we know it, you were created and put in a powerful family under the cult's watch. One day, you will rise and accomplish the destiny you were born too. Well... That was the plan. Due to some cultist not paying attention, you got switched at birth with a perfectly normal child and they ended up preparing the wrong kid. Meanwhile, you had a normal childhood. It is only after years that they realise their mistake. Now they are looking for you. Bad luck for them, you are an adventurer who likes to travel a lot.
141. Missing Sibling: At some point in your life, you lost your brother or sister. Doesn't really matter whether they were older or younger, or maybe you were twins. One day, your sibling was captured, kidnapped, or perhaps they simply vanished. As soon as you could swing a weapon or sling a spell, you set out in search of them. You hope to whatever god you worship that your sibling is still alive, but everyone you tell about your quest scoffs, saying surely they must be dead by now.
142. Escaping Slavery...Either born into or sold into bondage, you eventually escaped to freedom. However, your former owner/master wants you back (overheard an embarrassing secret of his/her family...you're the only one who knows how to make the mint julip the right way...he/she is just an a#$hole) so you spend your days running in the hopes that you won't get caught.

143. AWOL...As a Fighter/Warmage for your country/town/clan you agreed (or were pressed into service) to fight for their cause. Upon seeing your first action (or before) you said.."Blow this for a lark"..and vamoosed. Unfortunately, the penalty for "Desertion in the face of the enemy" is death. So until you can prove your worth or complete your service or buy out your contract, you must wander and adventure to gain enough money to eventually return home a hero.

144. I AM Spartacus...After freeing yourself from the shackles of slavery, you wander the lands seeking out slavers(to kill) and the enslaved(to free). Your hope is to one day build a slave army that will return to your homeland and rise up against the cruel oppressors of your people.

145. Stranger in a Strange Land...You awoke to find yourself in the Realms. Your name is Jack Smith. When you went to sleep the night before, you had a wife, kids and a 3 room Ranch style house in Peoria, Ill (or some such). You were a car salesman for your local dealership. Now, people are calling you Gheris The Scarlett and this scarred warrior and his fruity looking companion with the dour face and robes say it's time to explore that ruin the merchant hired you to clear of goblins.....
146. Devout Ninja - whereas the Crusader brings divine smotation to your faith's enemies in a direct fashion, you prefer to be a little sneakier about it...
147.Rodney the Rogue...You came through the portal in that ride at the fair with that do-gooder Hank, his girlfriend, her aggrivating brother and his nerdy friends. However, when you landed, YOU landed on the opposite side of the hill when that midget gave them those magic weapons. You search for them in the Realms, now. Always one step behind or a day late, you hear how they always ALMOST get home. Next time you're close enough to hear Hank or Bobby say..."we can't leave [insert pathetic person/creature name here]...SOMEONE'S getting backstabbed.
148. Wandering Monk
You travel the world, seeing its wonders, and bringing (insert your god's here)'s light to all who seek it. You will do most, if not all of your deeds in the name of your god. You aren't exactly as righteous and holy as a cleric though, you tend to have a more worldly view, perhaps you're a drinker, or you've lost your holy virginity, but Bahamut wouldn't care, all he wants is for you to bring his light into the world. You tend to be loyal, and can be a mentor to the inexperienced, many know your name.
WoTC has gotten rid of the forums I came to know and love, if you think that the old Gleemax forums should be restored, add this to your signature.
Sign In to post comments