Which is better: Real life or fantasy stats?

34 posts / 0 new
Last post
I have one group that is playing in a campaign world that is pretty much just like the world is today, but DND style. They wanted it to be mostly realistic. So, should they roll stats like any other player, or should they be rewarded with stats closer to their real life ones?
Assigning your friends 'real-life' stats is a good way to make sure they get ****** off at you, unless you're overly generous :P
Well, 2e's abilities chart had Strength pretty nailed down. It was easy to go off of how much you could bench-press. I'd be somewhere around 12 or 13, being able to bench more than 115lbs but less than 140lbs, and honestly the listed 40 or 45 is probably the weight I could carry a decent distance without feeling encumbered.

Dexterity is harder to peg, with a wide range of scores with no bonuses one way or the other. As a normal person who is more flexible and maneuvarable than she looks and is fond of games and musical intruments that require great manual dexterity, I'm probably around 12 or 13 as well.

Constitution? Maybe ask how sick they tend to get. If your immune system is down a lot, you probably have other defensive issues. I've rarely been sick and have been in poisonous situations (faceful of pesticides with some ingested, arms coated in some kind of acid that tripped out the lab tech who spilled it on me that I wasn't even blistering, etc.) that should have landed me in the hospital at the very least, killed me slowly at the worst. But I still can't regenerate anything other than normal human healing, so that would put my Constitution at 19, by 2e standards. Seems kind of high, though, for someone who can only jog a mile before having to stop.

Intelligence? Yeah, we all think we're Einstein or Hawking. From an objective point of view, how many languages does the subject speak? Only 1 puts your INT at 8 or less, with I think is too low for the average person who isn't as worldly as others would like us to be. I know a smattering of many languages and can read, but not speak, Spanish and a little bit of German. That still wouldn't net me above 11, and my GPA would beg to differ. Perhaps take an online IQ test (flawed as they are) and divide the score by 10, rounding down. I believe Voltaire had an estimated IQ of 184 (I'm not sure what it was based on, but they were estimating the possible IQs of many great thinkers), which would give him an INT of 18.

Wisdom and Charisma are hard to put a number on. As evidenced by the internet, many fools (maybe even myself included) believe they are veritable fonts of wisdom and insight, and probably most people believe they have more friends than they actually do. There may be goofy little online quizzes that, if taken honestly, can give you a rough score to work with and make fit into the 3-18 score range. Cyberia, I believe, used to be a good site for that sort of thing, but I don't know if it's still around.

As has been said, though, it's a good way to start a fight if someone doesn't agree with what the charts, or the rest of the group, declare.
stats are a great way to play a game.

they are a really crappy way to actually describe someone in real life.

for example: I'm an intelligent guy. I'm not trying to brag, but most people I've met agree that I am. However I only speak one language. Why? Well, I was raised in an upper-middle class portion of Los Angeles. English was really the only language I was taught. I heard Spanish but never practiced it. I went to Hebrew School but it was more a Jewish History class than anything else. But as the previous poster mentioned even a fairly average D&D character knows at least two if not more languages.

As for Dexterity: I can shoot a sharpshooter for 9mm after only shooting twice in my life. I'm pretty good with fine manipulation and such when working with computers. I'm not flexible at all, am horrible at throwing and can't dodge worth ****. So what's my dexterity?

etc.

you can see the problems, right? and that's only two stats.
Real world people can do pretty fantastic feats.

If the players are supposed to be heroes, then give them heroic stats.

It doesn't really have anything to do with fantasy or not, but rather to do with heroic action game or grim realisme.
actually, the people in my game are pretty smart and well fit. I don't doubt that they could actually do the heroic feats of DND. Perhaps I should do some fitness and intelligence tests?
How much can you press? That's probably the only solid thing in the whole deal, although even it has accuracy issues.
The best way to do real-life stats is to make each character a group project. Focus on one character at a time and have the entire group figure out his or her stats. I did this for a one-shot zombie game and it worked excellently.
Actually, squarecircle, that's another thing I was going to consider doing.
Actually, squarecircle, that's another thing I was going to consider doing.

I'm a ninja.
A real ninja doesn't brag about his job...
Heh. I'm a DM, but when I play, I'm a warlock. Warlocks rock! those, and Dragon Shamans!
A real ninja doesn't brag about his job...

I wasn't bragging, I was stating a fact.

And it's not a job, it's a lifestyle. ;)
I wasn't bragging, I was stating a fact.

And it's not a job, it's a lifestyle. ;)

The Ninja? Oh, no. It's a Deathstyle.

LOL. This made me laugh out loud at work. Bastard. :P

Sort of. Lifestyle to a ninja, deathstyle to everyone within reach.
How did this thread turn from stats to ninjas? Just wondering....
How did this thread turn from stats to ninjas? Just wondering....

When the Ninja attacked ... obviously.

But seriously Ninja boy is right. The only way to prevent the "I hate you for giving me a cha of 7" part is by having everyone except the player in question make their character. That way its a consensus decision not a defamation of character.
That's the plan. and just for the record, no one in my group has a cha of 10.
When the Ninja attacked ... obviously.

But seriously Ninja boy is right. The only way to prevent the "I hate you for giving me a cha of 7" part is by having everyone except the player in question make their character. That way its a consensus decision not a defamation of character.

Actually, I would want that player's input as well. He or she has a right to give his or her input on the character.

This works better for bigger groups, who can spitball ideas back and forth. It also encourages honesty from the players doing their own characters, at least in my experience.

EDIT: Actually what I think may also be a good idea is to just have the players use point-buy for their own stats, to make them somewhat in-line with their real-life stats but more heroic. Put it in their hands, give only a nod to realism, and you won't have hurt feelings.

They'd be heroic characters, with a nod to the real-life "stats" they represent without actually trying to mimic them.
My stats would be something like:
Str 10
Dex 10
Con 8
Int 14
Wis 8
Cha 10

Lol, not heroic at all.
That's the plan. and just for the record, no one in my group has a cha of 10.

No one that low, or no one that high? ;)
No one that low.
I say go with a point bey or the other players dicide it based on ther nolege of him.

And no, being a ninja isn't a lifestyle.....tell somone finds out, then thay just dont show up agen.
Oh ****! then maybe I should take cover. change my name or somethin
too lat there alredy there. look out youre window, see that bush?

thats not a bush.
by by
arghhhh.... oh wait, that's just a squirrel. You're a squirrel???!!!
arghhhh.... oh wait, that's just a squirrel. You're a squirrel???!!!

No, the ninja's hiding behind the squirrel.
The best way to role play as yourself is to close your role playing books and walk outside.
The best way to role play as yourself is to close your role playing books and walk outside.

Where is this outside world you speak of? Is it the place where the random visitors to my world come from once a week? I hear it is a fantastical and mysterious land filled with devices that do things not even the most powerful arcanist can accomplish! ;)
Heres a linkto figuring out your D&D Stats. Just one of many on the web, but it pertains to the thread and I figured you would all get a kick out of it. It isn't nearly as generous as a lot of other stat generators/quizzes I've used. It appears to be much more realistic.

Me: STR 11, INT 13, WIS 13, DEX 15, CON 8, CHA 14
No, the ninja's hiding behind the squirrel.

oh. so THAT'S what was humping the squirrel.
Since I like fairness in a game and some equality (i.e. everyone has a fair shake) I would suggest this.

1. Determine a baseline player. This should be probably the 1st or 2nd "best" person in your group. Figure out his "stats".

2. Convert stats to a point buy value, so if you have someone who is 13Str, 12Con, 15Dex, 13Int, 14Wis, 13Cha you'd get (assuming highest stat was a +2 Racial Mod for human) a 19pt buy.

3. Tell everyone they have the X point buy and place out stats in reference to your Baseline Player.

OR

Do the 22pt Buy and have everyone give a good guess in recreating themselves.