Digital Character Sheet

92 posts / 0 new
Last post
Version 0.7.9 has been released. It fixes a handful of bugs, usability issues, and adds some nice (and long needed) features. Slated for the next full minor version (0.8) equipment, but don't expect another release soon since I'll be having to create a different way of handling equipment (since you should be able to actually equip certain items and see the benefits from doing so in the sheet).

Constructive feedback, suggestions, and bug reports are all welcome.
Thanks for all your hard work on this.

I have found one problem with not changing the stats which are modified by Race.

You end up shy by two hit points on Races with a Con bonus.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

There are not many problems, but a few that I see.

~ Missing MM races
~ Cannot use PP from Multi Class Feat
Thats all I was able to find, I didn't count Darks though because I didn't find it..
I checked it out and you can't have a custom class and when you put in custom text in the class features they do not appear.
Pretty awesome. However, Jack of all Trades and Skill Focus feats don't change the skill modifiers. Also, the Dragonborn Heritage racial feature doesn't increase your surge value and, unlike the above bug with the skills, you can't manually change your surge value.
Thanks for the feedback, guys.

1) Feats and powers do not modify stats automatically yet. I haven't figured out a flexible method for handling the Dragonborn surge value yet, either.

2) Custom classes will be possible once I allow loading external datafiles.

3) Multiclassing and MM races aren't in yet. Not a bug, just a planned feature that I'm not at yet.

4) Racial CON modifying HP - good catch! Fixed, and once I get rituals in, I'll release a minor version.
No problem, you are doing great with this so far.

I'm anxious to see the final product.

I'm having a bit of a problem adding feats. when I click add, it says from a list or custom. I click OK from a list but nothing happens? is this correct?
I'm having a bit of a problem adding feats. when I click add, it says from a list or custom. I click OK from a list but nothing happens? is this correct?

I've made this a bit more clear since the latest release. Click in the textbox to bring up the actual selection box.
thanks, works like a charm
Great job so far!

A few minor problems I found are:
-changing HP isn't affecting the bloodied or healing surge values
-attack and damage workspace are being picky about which boxes I can type in
-if I accidentally delete a class power or feature, I can't get it back
-AC won't recognize my armor/dex score

I'm sure you're already working on this stuff, and sorry for nit-picking. Its also possible that I'm doing something wrong, hehe. Thanx for making this.
Great job so far!

A few minor problems I found are:
-changing HP isn't affecting the bloodied or healing surge values
-attack and damage workspace are being picky about which boxes I can type in
-if I accidentally delete a class power or feature, I can't get it back
-AC won't recognize my armor/dex score

I'm sure you're already working on this stuff, and sorry for nit-picking. Its also possible that I'm doing something wrong, hehe. Thanx for making this.

Thanks for the feedback!

- the HP box being modifiable is an error on my part (left over from when it wasn't hooked up to the dependency network). That will change in the next version
- you'll notice (hopefully) that only certain textboxes allow input in those areas. Attack and Damage workspaces will see significant feature implementation in upcoming versions
- can you tell me which class power/feature you're deleting that you then can't reselect? I haven't noticed this myself
- right, armor isn't taken into account yet for AC, but it will in the next version
I've updated the first post with information on the new version (0.7.3). All are welcome to try, test, and enjoy the latest version of Character Sheet.
Cool.

The thing I was deleting was the elf power Elven Accuracy from the Encounter list. I couldn't help but click the little minus sign. Then it wasn't in the list of powers to pick. But I just figured out that all I gotta do is unselect elf as my race, then reselect it and I'm good.

Again, nice work.
Cool.

The thing I was deleting was the elf power Elven Accuracy from the Encounter list. I couldn't help but click the little minus sign. Then it wasn't in the list of powers to pick. But I just figured out that all I gotta do is unselect elf as my race, then reselect it and I'm good.

Again, nice work.

Ah, right, because the Encounter list doesn't include racial/class specific powers.
I've found this extremely useful in generating pre gens. Don't have to think about each score, you can just copy it from the file. Huge kudos for saving me a lot of time for my region!
I've found this extremely useful in generating pre gens. Don't have to think about each score, you can just copy it from the file. Huge kudos for saving me a lot of time for my region!

I'm glad you like the program. Are there any features you'd like to see in the future?
I'm glad you like the program. Are there any features you'd like to see in the future?

Add the Sure Climber feat.

Add the Sure Climber feat.

Good catch (not sure how I missed that). I'll add it tonight.
... Were is the Weapon Focus Feats? I see proficency types, but not focuses.
... Were is the Weapon Focus Feats? I see proficency types, but not focuses.

They're there, but they have prerequisites - namely, having the Weapon Proficiency feat for the weapon group you're looking. Try picking the Weapon Proficiency (Whatever) first, and then going back into the feat selection list. You should see the Weapon Focus (Whatever) feat listed.
Good catch (not sure how I missed that). I'll add it tonight.

It turns out - I didn't miss it. Make sure you have the Athletics skill trained, as that's a prerequisite for Sure Climber.
It turns out - I didn't miss it. Make sure you have the Athletics skill trained, as that's a prerequisite for Sure Climber.

Doh.... thanks I was just looking into building my character and tried to put the feats in first since that's the way I tend to build.

Nice work and great detail.

They're there, but they have prerequisites - namely, having the Weapon Proficiency feat for the weapon group you're looking. Try picking the Weapon Proficiency (Whatever) first, and then going back into the feat selection list. You should see the Weapon Focus (Whatever) feat listed.

Weapon Focus doesn't have a prerequest, it even says so in the PHB, unless wizards changes the ruleing....
Weapon Focus doesn't have a prerequest, it even says so in the PHB, unless wizards changes the ruleing....

I was pretty sure they did, but I just checked the Compendium (no books here at work) and I'm seeing that you're right. I'll fix this when I get home. And since I just finished adding in full Paragon path stuff, I'll probably do another release tonight.
Alright, version 0.7.6 released. Fixed the Weapon Focus feats, along with a couple other minor things, and threw in Paragon paths and Epic destinies.
You are missing Arcane Initiate.

I upped the INT to 20 just to make sure and toyed with the levels and races as well.

Could not get it to appear on the list.

You are missing Arcane Initiate.

I upped the INT to 20 just to make sure and toyed with the levels and races as well.

Could not get it to appear on the list.

Dang, thanks. Fixed, and I might as well add features to feats (so you don't have to manually give yourself certain powers or trained skills) while I'm at it.
The program fails to run on my system (Windows XP Pro). Do I need .NET or something else to run it properly? Might want to put that on the front page if so.
The program fails to run on my system (Windows XP Pro). Do I need .NET or something else to run it properly? Might want to put that on the front page if so.

The download page has very prominent text reading, and I quote, "Character Sheet requires .NET 3.5. Mono can support 3.5 but testing in Mono hasn't been done. Any Windows OS with .Net 3.5 installed will run Character Sheet."

This text appears before the download link does. I wouldn't expect to require this text on the front page when, as you click the download page link, it's the first thing on the page there, and no other links to the actual file exists off the download page.
Hey, this thing is beautiful - i've got my enitre group using them now, but a few kinks I've got questions about.

1. The Other Equipment add button doesn't do anything.

2. The Magic Item list is blank (I suspect this will be coming along later, as its stupidly huge?)

and to confirm - you said the Attack and Damage workspaces will be fully functional in a future update?

Once again, thanks!
Hey, this thing is beautiful - i've got my enitre group using them now, but a few kinks I've got questions about.

1. The Other Equipment add button doesn't do anything.

2. The Magic Item list is blank (I suspect this will be coming along later, as its stupidly huge?)

and to confirm - you said the Attack and Damage workspaces will be fully functional in a future update?

Once again, thanks!

I'm glad you like it!

1) Yep, equipment is coming "soon"
2) See #1
and yes, Attack and Damage workspaces will get implemented after equipment gets in

I'm working on something to make DMing a bit easier at the moment. Keep an eye out.
Love it!

I see one thing missing though... how about an area that shows a text statblock you can cut and paste to wherever?

TC
Love it!

I see one thing missing though... how about an area that shows a text statblock you can cut and paste to wherever?

TC

What is it that you're looking to copy and paste specifically? The lack of copy and paste functionality is on purpose, for a number of reasons.
I'm working on something to make DMing a bit easier at the moment. Keep an eye out.

What do you mean by that exactly? Are you making DM resources too? (it would be kind of ironic, since when the group was playing last night, our DM was lamenting the lack of this sort thing for DMs - hearing this would make her very happy :P )

If so, are these on the same website as the char sheet?
What do you mean by that exactly? Are you making DM resources too? (it would be kind of ironic, since when the group was playing last night, our DM was lamenting the lack of this sort thing for DMs - hearing this would make her very happy :P )

If so, are these on the same website as the char sheet?

I haven't released anything, but I'm working on an Encounter Manager right now. Nothing complex or fancy, just keeps track of whatever entities with initiative you tell it, with support for turn-based tracking of effects. I expect to have something to release in a day or so, though I'm not sure if I'll release it through the Character Sheet site (probably ought to simply create a D&D tools site instead).
What is it that you're looking to copy and paste specifically? The lack of copy and paste functionality is on purpose, for a number of reasons.

Well, if there's a label, then just the normal Ctrl-C/CtrlV should work....

But, looking to display something like this (from the DMG):

Barstomun Strongbeard Level 4
Medium natural humanoid, dwarf XP xxxxx

Initiative +3 Senses Perception +4; low-light vision
HP 67; Bloodied 33
AC 16; Fortitude 18, Refl ex 15, Will 15
Saving Throws +5 against poison effects
Speed 5

mFist Pummel (standard; at-will)
+7 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage.

M Quick Punch (minor; at-will)
+7 vs. AC; 1d6 + 4 damage.

Dodge and Throw (immediate reaction; encounter; after an enemy
misses with a melee attack)
+7 vs Fortitude; slide target 1, and target is knocked prone.

Stand Your Ground
When an effect forces Barstomun to move—through a push, a
pull, or a slide—he moves 1 square less than the effect specifies.
When an attack would knock Barstomun prone, he can
immediately make a saving throw to avoid falling prone.

Alignment Unaligned Languages Common, Dwarven

Skills Endurance +7

Str 18 (+6) Dex 13 (+3) Wis 13 (+3)
Con 17 (+5) Int 11 (+2) Cha 8 (+1)
Dare I say, why do you want all that in a separate text file when you have my excellent program to display and organize it all for you? =)

The most important reason why I don't allow copy and pasting wholesale is precisely to avoid the easy reproduction of the information presented in the application. If you haven't noticed, a lot of information is presented similarly and almost in its entirety from the PHB. I'd be in a lot of hot water if I allowed easy electronic redistribution of too much source material.

Edit : Oh, now I get it. You want to create monster template style formats off Character Sheet?
The DM materials sound wonderful. I look forward to seeing this.
ver. 7.7 - The Toughness feat doesn't adjust the HP box, and the racial abilities don't display the modified values (although they do show the bonus to dice rolls properly).

Keep up the good work!
"When Friday comes, we'll all call rats fish." D&D Outsider
Yeah, version 0.7.7 was something of an abortion. I'll have 0.7.8 ready today or tomorrow, but also keep in mind that Character Sheet isn't aiming to do everything for you (the possibilities in what feats/powers can do is limitless and would be impractical to try to code everything). Certain things you'll simply have to do yourself, though the Toughness feat and Jack of all Trades feats ought to operate automatically.