31+ flavors of Warlock

153 posts / 0 new
Last post

Hey guys and gals. How do you RP the various abilities of your warlocks? What makes your warlocks stand out from the party?

Here, I'll start with my feylock, Sisa'kofa. She is a lithe and shapely woman, with fiery-red hair and a temper to match. She wears a greatcloak with the cowl extending down her back, tapering to a point. Her fey eyes gleam with mystery.

Magic courses through my warlock's veins. Literally. Every so often, one can glimpse something moving beneath her skin. A fleeting shadow or a certain soft color(rose or cobalt hued) that shifts across her skin. The movement does not bulge out or anything gross like that, but it is nonetheless disturbing. It is as if her very blood is glowing and moving with intelligence. For this reason, Sisa'kofa always wears a dark cloak that wraps and billows around her.

Excerpt from background: That night, Sisa’kofa dreamed a strange dream, vivid and disturbing. She was in a glade that shone silver with the waxing light of the full moon overhead. Large stones with glyphs inscribed upon the surface encircled the place. And before her stood the shattered remains of a stone column, upon which rested her mother’s diary. Suddenly, a cold wind gusted through the clearing and ripped open the book. The pages sat unmoving in the bitter cold wind. Shivering, as she was wearing only a nightshift, Sisa’kofa approached the book. Treading carefully upon the rubble strewn ground, she still managed to trip and fall forward. Sisa’kofa caught herself upon the pedestal, but the edges were jagged and tore into her hand. Strangely, the pain seemed distant and muted, as if she was feeling someone else‘s wounds. Steadying herself, she reached for the book, but as her blood dripped upon the pages, the book flared brightly and the pages disappeared. In its place was a window into empty space filled with stars and swirling clouds of multi-colored dust. Her astonished cry echoed through the window and out into the sea of stars. However, instead of fading, her cry echoed even louder, increasing in volume and intensity. A bright light woke within the starry depths and started to rise towards her. In panic, Sisa’kofa wrenched herself from the pedestal and fell back just in time as a column of ethereal fire roared from the pedestal into the sky. The column of fire stretched towards the moon, and upon touching it, the moon burned away to reveal a gateway limned in silvery flames. A fey being of terrible beauty emerged from the hole in the sky. Flames not of this world licked across skin of metal the color of blood. A mouth formed on the luciferous face and opened, and a wild cackle emerged from the creature’s throat.

“Blood has been spilt. The price is paid. The bargain is struck. Done and done.”, a voice that sounded like flames crackling over dry leaves whispered in her ears. The Lady of the Blood Moon reached out as if to embrace Sisa‘kofa, and then, she was struck with blinding pain. Liquid fire poured into her mind, body, and soul. Flames scoured her from within, hollowing her out and then filling the emptiness with eldritch power. Sisa'kofa felt as if she was stretched thin. She heard wild laughter and screams of anguish, but could not sense who voiced either. And just as abruptly, darkness took her into cool oblivion.

Her Eldritch Blast pulses with a lurid glow, blood red in color. The very air around it shrinks away, as if it is anathema to the world.

Implement (wand): With an overhead flourish as if striking with a whip, the eldritch blast whips out in a coruscating line of pure magic. Exactly like Dumbledore's first wand motion/strike effect in his battle vs. Voldy.

Her Eyebite effects varies. To her targets, her eyes become pinpoints of light that flares. And when the glow dims, the warlock is gone from their vision. Or her pupils shrink to little pin-pricks and her form spins and then blinks out. Very creepy.

Implement (wand): A thorn grows from the tip of the wand and then launches itself into target's eye. It burrows through the pupil and into the frontal lobe, causing it pain and hallucinations.

When Shadow Walking during the day, light bends around her, blurring her figure. During the night or in any shadowy illumination, the shadows deepen around her, absorbing any light; obscuring her form.  It was fun doing this constantly just by walking. My companions get freaked whenever we travel on foot.

When using Misty Step or any other teleport effect, she seems to be either swimming through the air with her dark cloak flowing around her, popping in and out of vision, or she simply moves so fast the eyes barely register her movement, only hearing a strange skittering noise. The last bit was inspired by Queen Mab in Merlin (the movie with Sam Neil).

Her Witchfire, instead of a white hot fire, is more of a ghostly silvery flame. She breathes it from her mouth unto her hands, shaping it and then throwing it. The witchfire howls as it flies toward its target. Upon impact, the fire streams into every visible orifice on the target's body and flares up. The fire licks at their joints, hindering their attacks.

Implement (wand): Instead of breathing the fire out, she opens her mouth with the wand tip over it. She pulls the ghostly flames from her throat, which then swirls and contracts until she flicks her wrist, launching it at her foe.

Crown of Stars: The light around her dims as it gets funneled into flickering motes of flame, manifesting around her head. The crown of flames orbit around her. She then lets fly a star mote with a pointed gesture.

Implement (wand): After the crown forms, she puts her wand tip to her temple and captures a star mote on her wand tip. Then she flicks it at her target. (Almost the same gesture as Dumbledore extracting a memory.

Her MC power is Scorching Burst. She rakes her hands forward, clawing the air before her. Molten fire rips forth, wounding the very air before it.

Implement (wand): A wide flourishing arcing downward, as a fire rains down from above.

And finally, her Dilettante power is Enfeebling Strike. She spears those foolish enough to come close with a serpent like strike, her 'fang' gleaming silver from the shadows wrapped about her.

When using more powerful teleport spells in the future, I might have lightning flash and her form blink in and out before disappearing altogether. Or appear as if she is coming out of some object, like a tree or boulder, or even the ground.

~~*~~

Addendum: This is an update in her selection of spells, items, etc.

Leveling Up
Sisa'kofa, has an ancient ritual book, called the Blood Diary, that is actually a gateway to her patron's realm. I came up with the book idea, and my DM just went with it, making it the instrument of leveling up for my character. By pricking her finger with a needle and entering a meditative trance, my character opens the way to her patron with her blood upon the pages of her book. The pages in the open book disappears and becomes a window into space, where a full blood moon shines amidst stars and nebulae. My patron then confers to me knowledge of arcane spells and rites.

The wizard in our group (we look out for each other) who watched over me during my "ritual" told me afterwards that my sitting form floated into the air, my hair drifting up as well, and a luridly glowing pulse of energy connected me and my book. The DM also said I acted like the Gatekeeper from Ghostbusters.[/sblock]

Powers
Ethereal Stride: She steps toward the desired location and her body dissipates and fades away as if blown by a breeze. Sisa'kofa reappears the same way, but in reverse. It is very much air element-ery.

Otherwind Stride: A cold wind whips up around Sisa'kofa and shadows speckled with starlight whip up encircling her form. The tendrils of shadow flail around her, attacking anyone close before wrapping about her ,compressing and then disappearing, whisking away the witch within. She re-enters the world as blood-red mist through cracks in space, moonlight filtering in behind her.

Implement (wand): "DISAPPARATE!" lol, j/k. A ghostly sigh echoes through the air as the wand is flourished over her own body. Disappears like Voldemort does, with shadows writhing around.

Curse of the Bloody Fangs: Sisa'kofa whistles as if summoning a dog. The sound echoes with power and reverberates outward. Bone-chilling howls answer her call. The sound nears until you can hear the growls and snapping of teeth. Yet, you see nothing. Suddenly, Sisa'kofa flings back her cloak and within the darkness of her mantle appear a mass of glowing red eyes and slavering maws. She gestures toward you as if loosing the reins and suddenly, razor sharp teeth rip into you. Screams and howls harmonize into a sweet song of slaughter.

Sustaining it: If the target survives, Sisa'kofa closes her hand and flicks her wrist, as if pulling something back. Ghostly lines of eldritch energy extends from her fist to the invisible fell hounds, tethering them to this world to continue their attacks.

Implement (wand): She gestures with the wand, as if shooing dogs towards the target. When sustaining, the reins whip out from the tip of the wand, which she grabs with a free hand.

Dark One's Own Luck: Time crawls to a slow as I invoke my fey pact-lord's presence, thereby altering reality. The world momentarily becomes photo-negative as I will something to happen (make a save, successfully hit, or make a skill check).

"My will be done. So mote it be!"

Howl Of Doom: A hauntingly beautiful sound emerges from her throat, as if a banshee is singing a dirge. It is as if many voices are emerging from one throat. The very air shivers and throbs, slamming into her foes and driving them back. This is similar to the banshee of Ireland from The Gargoyles cartoon.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnIbmFxqNYI

Implement (wand): She places the tip of the wand under her chin, which increases the intensity and volume of her keening song. The grief prevalent in the wailing seizes your heart and squeezes until it bleeds.

Implements & other items of power
As for implements, Sisa'kofa shall wield a branding-iron (a magic rod to channel my Warlock's Curse), a wand (shaped from the branch of a willow tree) to focus/sharpen her warlock/wizard spells, and finally an athame (pact blade) to channel her blood magic.

She also has a ritual book titled the Blood Diary. The DM gave it a special property that allows her to contact her patron for ritual spells, auguries, and knowledge. "Blood opens the way."

Apparently, I did NOT lose my safewing amulet +1. Anyways, shadows collect about her in the shape of a raven's wings, unfurled and lessening the impact of her fall.

Managed to purchase a nice wand of radiance +1; it alters some of my powers' manifestations, as seen above.

Here are the rituals I've finally copied. Some of her rituals will include the various humours of the body (i.e. saliva, blood, bile ...)

Ritual Cookbook

Brew Potion - She succeeded in using Arcana to make signature tastes for potions; altering the recipe for potions of healing to give it a minty flavor. Yum!
Cure Disease - Combining components into a paste (with own spit), she draws healing runes upon the diseased body. The runes ignite and burn away the disease.
Delay Affliction - A mixture of components and her own blood, she coats her hand and lays it upon the target. The hand print delays the affliction, until it fades away.
Enchant Magic Item - Regular components, with her own blood added to seal the magic.
Endure Elements - Arcane mark upon body, its warmth warding away the chill.
Gentle Repose - Strips of cloth/bandages soaked in preserving oils and such. With a drop of honey on the eyelids to lure the soul back to the vessel (windows to the soul, hehe)
Magic Circle - Halved apples (has a natural pentacle in center) with a laurel leaf pressed unto it. Then place it down in the 4 cardinal points.
Make Whole - just that
Mask of Sisa'kofa

Here is her mask. It is made of silver birch wood, inlaid with mother of pearl.

Ok, thanks to my DM I can use a pendant as an implement counting as a rod.
The pendant is shaped after the rune of torment.
My Feylock is only level 1 right now, so I can't add much.

Eldritch Blast: The pendant begins to spin for a moment before a beam of light blasts towards the opponent.
Eyebite: Her eyes begin to glow pink and a beam strikes the target.
Witchfire: The rune begins to glow purple for a moment and a rune appears below the target. A moment later, the rune errupts in bright pink light and disappears.
Curse of the Dark Dream: Pink flames start to dance along the target's body, while his mind is tormented by his worst nightmare. He staggers about helplessly.
Shadow Walk: A thing haze of fog covers the immediate area around her.
Misty Step: She fades out of existance only to reappear a short distance away.
That was very .... pink.
I like the pendant concept. I can envision it floating up from her chest, spinning between her hands and shooting bolts of eldritch power.
My warlock Gunslinger, working off this thread. An emaciated man in a dark greatcloak, razor spurs on his boots, a wide brimmed hat obscuring his features, and a mad glare in his eyes, wielding two 6-shooters.

Gunslinger's Eldritch Guns (eldritch blast) manifests his two pistols, as he fires a barrage of bullets towards his enemy.

Keep your Distance (dire radiance) is him keeping an eye (and a gun) focused on a foe he doesn't want to get too close, and making that foe think twice before approaching further.

A sudden volley of bullets slams into the target's chest, pushing him stumbling backward. Kickback Volley (diabolic grasp) is Gunslinger doing his level best to keep enemies at a safe distance.

Gunslinger channels the dark energies bestowed upon him by an incomprehensible greater entity in Starbreath Shot (fiery bolt) with a single rune-scribed bullet.

Sometimes you want to keep an enemy in place for a time. Foot Shot (dread star) does the trick nicely, rendering them immobile with a few well placed bullets.

When he needs to get somewhere quick, Gunslinger asks his patron for a ride. Using the limitless power of the cosmos in a quick Space Jaunt (ethereal stride) Gunslinger dissolves into a mote of starlight, re-appearing in a more desirable location instantaneously.

Heavens' Step (shadow walk) is the movement of the stars echoed through a mortal's footstep, as strange patterns of fate twine with memory and destiny wrap Gunslinger in a protective embrace. It is difficult to focus on him when he moves, for it seems fate itself has taken Gunslinger under its wing.
My Warlock (Infernal Pact) has an "Infernal flame" motif. So almost any power that can look like crimson fire of unnatural and unholy origin.. does so.

Redemption and finding a purpose for his life and powers is key to his character though, he's a multi class cleric of Avandra, and follows her teachings of change and redemption. "Life is like a giant river, always flowing, always changing. There is no use in fighting that change, one must embrace it, and trust in Avandra."

He'll eventually pick up that one Cleric Paragon path with the radiant fire stuff, after which point he'll have mastered the ability to mix divine fire with infernal fire. Crimson and gold flame shall henceforth surround him.

The infernal runes on his chest from the time he made his pact will also be enforced with holy symbols and glyphs from that point on.

I plan to have him ascend to become the Demi-god of Redemption when he hit's 30, so... the mix of holy and unholy is pivotal in that role.

"Saint Nikolas the Redeemed, lantern of the Crimson and Gold flame, and guiding light to those seeking redemption."

Something like that.
I like my alternative names for the Warlock pacts:

Star Pact = Cthulhu Pact
Fey Pact = Mentok Pact
Infernal Pact = Goth Pact
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.
That was very .... pink.
I like the pendant concept. I can envision it floating up from her chest, spinning between her hands and shooting bolts of eldritch power.

Actyally, she holds the pendant more like a holy icon.
Similiar to that priest/cleric of pelor miniature.

And she has a glabrezu grandfrather, so she inherited his violet eyes.

Star Pact = Cthulhu Pact
Fey Pact = Mentok Pact

What's a mentok?
When Shadow Walking during the day, light bends around her, blurring her figure.

Now I have a picture of a predator-like warlock dragonborn (possibly multiclassed with ranger) that disappears into the woods with his victim at hand...
What's a mentok?

IMAGE(http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn189/Saibrock/mentok1.jpg)
Dyoooooo eeeeeeee oOoOoOoOoOo!
Ever feel like people on these forums can't possibly understand how wrong they are? Feeling trolled? Don't get mad. Report Post.

Star Pact = Cthulhu Pact
Fey Pact = Mentok Pact

I like my idea for Infernal Pact better: METAL Pact! :D

Back on topic, my first concept for a warlock was someone who got a glimpse of Things Man Was Not Meant To See and gone mad; I'd probably go mostly with powers that deal psychic damage and otherwise mess with people's minds, and as a bit of flavor I'd say that any enemy that I bring to 0 HP using a psychic attack doesn't die but goes insane and spends the rest of his days in fetal position softly weeping.
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn189/Saibrock/mentok1.jpg

A random picture really doesn't mean a thing to me...
IMAGE(http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn189/Saibrock/mentok1.jpg)

ROFL. He kinda looks like Ming from Flash Gordon.

Mentok the Mind-Taker is a fictional character in the 1960s television program 'Birdman and the Galaxy Trio'. I wiki'd it. :D

But, isn't he an alien, not fey?
I doubt I'll ever get to play her, but my favorite example of a warlock so far is a slim, serious, bookish woman named Verity. She's a stargazer and astrologer devoted to Ioun (human Starlock/Divine Oracle) and has made a study of fate and prophecy her field of expertise, so she's often surrounded with astrolabes and star charts. She's motivated to take up adventuring out of an urgent sense to avert the various futures she sees as threats to the wellbeing of the civilized races.

Verity invokes her Eldritch Blast with a tilt her head and a brief gesture, causing brilliant light to stream from the eyes, mouth and nose of her target as they are wracked by otherworldly energies.

She uses her Dire Radiance as a mystic ward by extending a hand tangled with rosary beads and dangling a complex astrological sign that begins to spin and glow with pale, searing radiance that brightens in intensity as enemies approach.

By reaching out and catching Strands of Fate in her delicate fingers, Verity tangles them in a sudden, wrenching yank that leaves her foes vulnerable and gasping for breath.

When invoking the Dread Star, Verity draws an eldritch sign in the air above the target, tying them to the terrestrial earth and laying their fate bare to those capable of reading it.

Fate and chance conspire to conceal her from her foes when Shadow Walking, and she can only be seen just out of the corner of their eyes, one step ahead at every turn.

Obviously powers like Dark One's Own Luck, Prophecy of Doom and Good Omens work wonderfully with the character concept.
I'm DM'ing a 4e campaign at the moment, and my girlfriend is really into her Tiefling Feylock. The most evocative imagery we've had so far is comparing Curse of the Dark Dream to the end of The Craft, where Fairuza Balk torments that chick with illusions of snakes and vermin crawling over every square inch of everything.
I'm DM'ing a 4e campaign at the moment, and my girlfriend is really into her Tiefling Feylock. The most evocative imagery we've had so far is comparing Curse of the Dark Dream to the end of The Craft, where Fairuza Balk torments that chick with illusions of snakes and vermin crawling over every square inch of everything.

Why didn't I think of that? I'm going take take her cue and do what Robin Tunney made Balk hallucinate when she countered the illusion hex; her fingers turning into little snakes, snakes sprouting from her hair and bugs coming out of her ears, mouth, and nose. ;)
Ah, good examples of making the game your own.

One of the many character concepts I'm itching to try out, I had my idea for my little halfing Feylock, Reshier. I was inspired by somewhat of a leprechaun, though no so much lucky charms, and more like amoral trickster.

Anywho, this little Halfling stands 3 ft 6 inch, clad in emerald leather with a shaggy leaf motief. Very ansty, and has an eeire smirk on his face.

Eldritch Blast consists of a small double helix flame that starts at his shoulder, coalessing around his arm before coming together in his palm, and firing toward his enemies.

Eyebite appears to the recipeant as a flash of green flame in their vision before they loose sight of Reshier. To everyone else, two green flame halos circle the targets eyes.

Witchfire appears as gouts of prismatic flame shoot forth out of the targets eyes and mouth in an inital blast, and glow with an after effect.

Curse of the Dark Dream has Reshier scare the hell out of anyone he uses is one, for in the targets mind, Reshier appears everywhere and nowhere to him, his laugh echoes in their heads, and he constantly apears on their head, behind there back, to their side, shifting with a menacing grin, and forging the target to step where Reshier wills them too. Illusions, figmintents of his mind, or clones trying to steal his soul.

Misty Step appears as a portal of thin mist that Reshier jumps through, with another a short distance away.
Dusk is a tiefling feylock who had originally been a dusky red (his patron changed his name to Dusky, but he couldn't stand it, so he calls himself Dusk). His skin color changed when he had been in a bit of a funk while learning from his patron. She told him if he was going to act so blue he might as well look it, so he now has kind of a bluish gray skin. His stereotypically emo-ish tiefling attitude is no more, he actively works at being less cynical and displays a dry sense of humor. This was a change he forced on himself, because he didn't want her altering him any more. He is typically quiet and reserved; except when he has to either physically, verbally, or magically intervene when the oaf of a human fighter and the boor of a dwarven fighter start fighting with eachother.

Eldritch Blast: Dusk points at his target while his tail draws a pattern in the air behind the shoulder of the arm he is shooting it from. The blast emerges from his hand as a green and black arc of energy that connects him to his target momentarily.

Eyebite: Dusk points at the target, makes a gripping gesture, and pulls his fist back towards himself, ripping the sight of himself from his target's mind.

Dreadful Word: Dusk whispers a word that only the target can hear, communicating it directly into the target's mind.

Curse of the Dark Dream: Dusk stares deeply at the target, his hands and tail making dark misty sigils in the air. To the eyes of the target, the ground around it rumbles and collapses into darkness, leaving only a few safe places to left to stand. As the target moves around in combat, shafts of stone rise from the depths to act as platforms as some of the previously safe platforms of ground fall away.

Ethereal Stride: (as if he doesn't teleport enough already) Dusk steps in the direction he wishes to move, and disappears, reappearing at his target destination.

Otherworldly Stride: (yet another teleport power) Dusk runs forward to his target, leaps into the midst of his enemies, and a bright flash of white light explodes from his body as he disappears. He reappears next to a ranger almost 40 feet away; a ranger who is now aiming an arrow at one of the immobilized enemies.

Misty Step: see Ethereal Stride.

Shadow Walk: Mist and shadows seem to surround him as he darts from one place to another.
I doubt I'll ever get to play her, but my favorite example of a warlock so far is a slim, serious, bookish woman named Verity. She's a stargazer and astrologer devoted to Ioun (human Starlock/Divine Oracle) and has made a study of fate and prophecy her field of expertise, so she's often surrounded with astrolabes and star charts.

I'm currently playing a similarly-flavored Half-Elf Starlock/Wizard, but I'm falling in like with your idea of using the Divine Oracle paragon path the add to the "Mistress of the Fates" concept. I may just have to do some retraining...

Shameless thievery!:D
Delicious flavors, everyone. Some are spicy, sweet, even smoky. Keep 'em comin'.

How about the Warlock's Curse? Anyone have creative and kool descriptions for this staple ability?

I was thinking of using a rod implement (branding iron) to focus my Curse and metaphysically brand the rune or sigil upon the foreheads of my foes. And whenever any of my attacks hit the cursed foe, the brand flares and burns the soul. And when they die, the brand cools down to scarred flesh, smoke drifting from the eyes, nose and mouth. Waddaya think?
Sweet!

For my previously mentioned gunslinger warlock, I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out how to fluff it. (suggestions appreciated, hint hint) The best idea I've come up with so far is that he fires a phantom shot at the victim, and a thin haze of sulphrous smoke engulfs the target, remaining until one or the other is dead.
Sweet!

Duuuuuuuuuuude! ... Thx

For my previously mentioned gunslinger warlock, I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out how to fluff it.

That's a dirty joke waiting to happen. But I won't do it, despite the temptation! ;)

The best idea I've come up with so far is that he fires a phantom shot at the victim, and a thin haze of sulphrous smoke engulfs the target, remaining until one or the other is dead.

Hmm, how about instead of a smoky/sulfurous haze surrounding the target, a brilliant white cross appears on your target's body, marking him with your "Judgment" bullet (Warlock's Curse).

On second thought, since you have struck a pact with a cosmic entity, why not a mark that looks like the sword in the following pic. A cross shape with a star within circle emblem around the hilt.

IMAGE(http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/Annihil_Quasar.jpg)
Sweet!

For my previously mentioned gunslinger warlock, I'm kinda stuck trying to figure out how to fluff it. (suggestions appreciated, hint hint) The best idea I've come up with so far is that he fires a phantom shot at the victim, and a thin haze of sulphrous smoke engulfs the target, remaining until one or the other is dead.

Personally, I like the idea of having him flick his wrist, causing the chamber to break open and have a single shell fly out, end over end, and have it strike the target in the center of their forehead, casing first, leaving your master's sigil there.
Antina Ke Kor, Infernal Warlock/Cleric/Divine Oracle

Warlock's Curse(Mark of Kor)
Burning red runes appear on the most vulnerable parts of the target's body, but only Anti and the Target can see them.

Shadow Walk(Arcane Shield)
Visible red energy circle around Anti's body, obscuring her form.

Dark One's Blessing(Blood Shield)
The red energy around Anti's body begins to take a solid form, appearing to be dried [enemy slain's race] blood.

Eldritch Blast(Eldritch Bomb)
The nearby heat swirls away, gathering in a burning orange orb centered in Anti's hands, she tosses it towards her enemy...
Hit: The orb explodes is a blast of arcane power, returning the heat to the environment.
Miss: The enemy nimbly dodges the incoming orb which explodes uselessly behind them, returning the heat to the environment.

Hellish Rebuke
A ball of pure red flame appears in Anti's hand, she throws it at her enemy,
Hit:it bursts infront of him, momentarily covering his body with flame
Extra Damage: blue fire shoots forth from the enemy's mouth.(or other suitable orifice)
Miss:the ball explodes into thin smoke, which forms a frowning imp face.

Fiery Bolt(Magma Spear)
A tiny portal to hell appears on the ground and a molten hot spear shoot forth, Anti catches it and with a spin hurls it at a foe...
Hit:the thin spear barely touches it's target, but noticable burns where it did.
Miss:a second tiny portal appears between her foe's feat, the spear is sucked back into hell, without even glancing Anti's enemy
Critical Hit: The spear hits the enemy straight out, molten liquid splatting the target before exploding into nothingness

Coldfire Vortex
A tiny portal opens infront of Anti's enemies, suddenly the entire area around then is bathed in incandescent blue flames, sending chills through the air when the vortex closes, [enemies who were hit] appear [covered in ice or burns] but [enemies who were missed] appear unhindered.

Armor of Agathys(Armor of Kor)
As written.

Iron Spike of Dis
A stalagmite rises from the ground and explodes, the dust quickly clears revealing a metallic pointed shaft, Anti grasp the shaft and hurls it at her enemy
Hit: The shafts explodes into razorsharp spikes and dig into the target's flesh, leaving it immobile.
Miss: The shaft cuts across the enemy's torso, leaving a wicked looking gash.

Ethereal Stride(Smoke Shield)
Anti disappears in a blast of black smoke, reappearing nearby in another burst, the smoke mixing in with her normal arcane shield.

Shield Shades(Shadow Shield)
This depends on the attack, but let's assume a basic spear attack.
Suddenly a dupilicate of Anti rises from the ground, the spear thrusts straight through the duplicate to explodes in a puff of black smoke.

That's all her Warlock stuff.
I use the second names interchangeably with the original spells usually.
Okay, I used my idea for the Warlock's Curse last session, and it was awesome. Here is how it went.

My feylock's Curse manifested through a branding iron (rod implement) that I gestured at my targets.
IMAGE(http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/tnba/episodes/18demonwithin/01.jpg)
IMAGE(http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/tnba/episodes/18demonwithin/37.jpg)

Then a reddish sigil appeared on the targets' foreheads, opening the way for her power.
IMAGE(http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/WF/batman/tnba/episodes/18demonwithin/13.jpg)

The end ...?

Pictures say more than mere words, no? :evillaugh
There is a star pact warlock, in the Eberron campaign I am running, who is the daughter of a traveling fortune teller and grew up with a bond to the rings of Syberis. She uses a family heirloom, an ancient Xendrik boomerang with a dragon shard at it's center, as her pact blade.

Eldric Blast. Holds the boomerang around it's middle, and gestures as if holding it up for show to her target. Energy glows from all five points of the boomerang, and a single line of energy traces from one point to another, forming a star pattern and then firing the blast from it's center point.

Dire Radiance. She throws the boomerang at the target and it hovers high above them, spinning and building a blinding pulse of energy before raining down a blast on the targert.

Dreadful Word She whispers softly into her boomerang, then throws it at the target. It circles about the victims head, delivering the terrible secret.

Dreadstar She flings the boomerang at her target. It weaving about them madly, firing blast upon blast of arcane energy across their body, interlocking around the area to form a glowing cage that prevents them from moving from their square.

Frigid Darkness As the boomerang flies towards it's target it seems to drag a line of her own shadow with it. This dark essence mists with the depths of coldness it contains, and as the boomering flies about it's victim, the shadow envelopes them like a growing ribbon, wrapping about their body and moving about their face, chilling their soul and unsettling them to the point of distraction.

She is definitely having fun with it, especially since she took on a multiclass of wizard for some AoE spells.
Now THAT is a warlock after my own ... mind, lol! Whoa! I mean, that is so kool. I like it as much as my own. Very creative, and the FX is top notch. to the player.

By the way, is she drow or half-drow (half-elf)?
Now THAT is a warlock after my own ... mind, lol! Whoa! I mean, that is so kool. I like it as much as my own. Very creative, and the FX is top notch. to the player.

By the way, is she drow or half-drow (half-elf)?

Actually half-eladrin and found as a babe on the shores of Xendrik with the boomering wrapped with her. Long back story, that the character is not even aware of, though the player is.
As to the warlock curse concept, I was playing with a concept based on the mysteries of the universe idea of a star pact and came up with this.

Warlocks Curse: Catches the gaze of the target with her own, exchanging a fleeting image of universal truth. So soul shattering is the knowledge, that the astral form of the target begins to slightly tear from it's mortal shell. This form, a second shadow or double image, seems to mimic the future movements of its mortal frame mere moments before they occur.

Basically, if you've seen Chronicles of Riddick, picture the way the leader of the Necromongers moves when in combat.
That movie was just awesome. Remember Aereon (Dench) the air elemental? The way she disappears and reappears while moving is just great. Now THAT's a Misty Step. :D
Now THAT's a Shadow Walk. :D

No teleporting involved, my dear (non-gender-specific title).
No teleporting involved, my dear (non-gender-specific title).

I like to think that she was killing invisible cursed air gremlins every round to activate her Misty Step >_<

I've got a pretty kickass halfling feypact going on, if I may say so myself. It's been a while since I've actually played (I often DM) so I'm very attached to her right now.

So, Elizabeth Willowcrisp (the Third) is a monster hunter for hire who seeks nothing more than recognition (treasure's not bad). She seeks attention and is delightfully gleeful when she gets it (even if it's the not-so-good kind). She'll often exaggerate her adventures when the other party members aren't around (for example, Kobold Mansion was a huge castle on top of a mountain with a snowy dragon ten times her size when really it was just an abandoned manor down the road with a teensie dragon living in the basement).

Her grandmother, Elizabeth Willowcrisp the First burned a dryad's tree (by accident... at least that's what she tells everyone) when she first began her adventuring career (it runs in the family). The dryad cursed her (and her daughter, and her daughter's daughter, and her daughter's daughter's daughter, etc.). When Willowcrisp I died, she slowly became the dryad's new tree. Okay, so now I'm totally rambling...

For an impliment she uses the hilt of an ancient sword of Bahumat (wand) that she stole from some monestary somewhere (they were evil Bahumatians, I swear).

Eldritch Blast: When I started playing her she went with the generic ball of fairily light and whatnot. That got pretty boring and after a while I decided to find something new. So my fairy-light is now the shape of a dragon (rawr) and platinum blue-ish. I could probably do better, but it works for now.

Misty Step: To be different, Elizabeth bursts into a whole whack of leaves (with a pop if I feel like it) and drifts with a non-existant wind to her target location. Nothing too fancy going on there.

Eyebite: Pretty hard to fancify this one. The target feels the pain that the dryad felt when Willowcrisp the First burned her tree. And she dissapears. Like a ninja.

Witchfire: You think your witchfire is cool? Well mine does cold damage, so nyah! Okay, so, DM said my witchfire could do cold damage. In her stories, the dragon (of Kobold Manor) fried (or froze) her so bad that his freezing breath lingered inside of her. Yah. Rawr.

Dread Star: This one, in my opinion, is pretty fun. The target's feet become rooted to the ground as if they were a plant of some sort. Obviously, I have yet to do this to flying baddies.

Shadow Walk: Elizabeth claims to've danced with fairies when she was young. She marches (well more like dances) to her own drummer (more like fairy band). When she dances across the field of battle she becomes little more than a deadly blur. Rawr. Fairy dancing is a scary thing, you know.

Warlock's Curse: Elizabeth's obsession with monster hunting goes beyond your average hunter's quarry (heh, get it?). Ghostly targets (bullseyes!) that only she can see appear on the target's weaker areas. Which, when matched with her hunter's intuition and a platinum dragon-y blast, can be the end of her foes.

So, that's level one for you. I took Warrior of the Wild for my feat (I'm stealthy and monster-huntery!). I've been totally loving playing her. Bashed some kobolds and a white dragon, moving on to the tougher bad guys (zombies and evil Bahumatians) now... Things'r getting pretty interesting.

Shadow Veil: So, here I am trying to steal this sword hilt from some evil priest, right? And my DM was all like 'Oh, dudes, you gained a level'. (I used to award experience at the end of sessions, but whatever floats her boat, right?). So, since the rest of the powers didn't really look all that great I nabbed me Shadow Veil. It totally helped getting past the priest and some zombies and I totaly got a sword hilt because of it. And then my DM was all like 'Fine, but where's the Willowcrispy flavour', so I decided that she's so crazy-awesome that even the light fears and avoids her, leaving just her and a shadowy veil for a moment.

For my feat I took Lethal Hunter, because I'm just that cool...

So, we totally beat up this priest and took his stuff. Turns out he wasn't really the big bad guy. The zombies just got better and better until we came across some super-secret Bahumat cave (gasp here). In short, we ran away from an itty-bitty black dragon and his zombie minions. It was pretty fun! But then I was all 'Willowcrisps don't run from monsters!' (mainly because my baby was almost level three). So I totally turned to fight him (which he didn't expect at all), and convinced the party to help/save me. I'm one awesome monster slayer.

Eldritch Rain: If monster hunting has taught my dear Willowcrisp one thing, it's that the big game always have annoying, little, pesky, frickin' minions. Luckily enough they die easy! The perfect power for when there's a minion-guard on either side of the next big bad guy.

So, there you have it, the life story of dragonslayer Elizabeth Willowcrisp III.

If you're a bad guy, better watch your back.

*fades out*
That has to be just about the cutest warlock entry I've seen. Cute kitty that I wanna smash with a baseball bat cute. ;)
My party's got a female halfling infernal warlock. One day, when her town was being massacred during a demonic invasion, she heard a dark voice whispering to her, begging her assistance. It said it was dissipating, and that it needed to inhabit her shadow, and it would grant her anything it could if she would let it in. She only had one wish: the power to take vengeance upon the demons that attacked her town. That was something the presence could give her, and thus her shadow fused with the infernal spirit. Despite the fact that she's a three foot tall halfling, the shadow she casts is an enormous bat-winged silhouette. The shadow still whispers secrets to her and often tries to get her to do things she'd rather not...

Visually, she has a big hellfire and shadow theme in all her powers. Eldritch blast is a gout of fire, and so is Flames of Phlegethos, and just in case she didn't have enough fire, she took the multiclass wizard feat to get Scorching Burst. Her Shadow Walk is described as her shadow growing larger and rising off the ground as she herself fades out of view.
Wow. That is an awesome flavor. An infernally possessed shadow.

Initially, I thought to use this thread to gather together the warlocks' power descriptions, but its evolved to include the necessary underpinnings of the character itself. And so, I present my own warlock's background/pact origin. The following is an excerpt from a pretty lengthy background story:

~~*~~

That night, Sisa’kofa dreamed a strange dream, vivid and disturbing. She was in a glade that shone silver with the waxing light of the full moon overhead. Large stones with glyphs inscribed upon the surface encircled the place. And before her stood the shattered remains of a stone column, upon which rested her mother’s diary. Suddenly, a cold wind gusted through the clearing and ripped open the book. The pages sat unmoving in the bitter cold wind. Shivering, as she was wearing only a nightshift, Sisa’kofa approached the book. Treading carefully upon the rubble strewn ground, she still managed to trip and fall forward. Sisa’kofa caught herself upon the pedestal, but the edges were jagged and tore into her hand. Strangely, the pain seemed distant and muted, as if she was feeling someone else‘s wounds. Steadying herself, she reached for the book, but as her blood dripped upon the pages, the book flared brightly and the pages disappeared. In its place was a window into empty space filled with stars and swirling clouds of multi-colored dust. Her astonished cry echoed through the window and out into the sea of stars. However, instead of fading, her cry echoed even louder, increasing in volume and intensity. A bright light woke within the starry depths and started to rise towards her. In panic, Sisa’kofa wrenched herself from the pedestal and fell back just in time as a column of ethereal fire roared from the pedestal into the sky. The column of fire stretched towards the moon, and upon touching it, the moon burned away to reveal a gateway limned in silvery flames. A fey being of terrible beauty emerged from the hole in the sky. Flames not of this world licked across skin of metal the color of blood. A mouth formed on the luciferous face and opened, and a wild cackle emerged from the creature’s throat.

“Blood has been spilt. The price is paid. The bargain is struck. Done and done.”, a voice that sounded like flames crackling over dry leaves whispered in her ears. The Lady of the Blood Moon reached out as if to embrace Sisa‘kofa, and then, she was struck with blinding pain. Liquid fire poured into her mind, body, and soul. Flames scoured her from within, hollowing her out and then filling the emptiness with eldritch power. Sisa'kofa felt as if she was stretched thin. She heard wild laughter and screams of anguish, but could not sense who voiced either. And just as abruptly, darkness took her into cool oblivion.

~~*~~

Magic courses through my warlock's veins. Literally. Every so often, one can glimpse something moving beneath her skin. A fleeting shadow or a certain soft color(rose or cobalt hued) that shifts across her skin. The movement does not bulge out or anything gross like that, but it is nonetheless disturbing. It is as if her very blood is glowing and moving with intelligence. For this reason, Sisa'kofa always wears a dark cloak that wraps and billows around her.
Nice ideas all around. One I came up with recently was a dragonborn feylock re-flavoured into a Dragonpact. All that teleporting manifesting as some sort of temporary dragon wings carrying the PC around the battlefield...

Better to fight windmills than become a miller!

I came up with this riff on an arcane archer. She uses her bow as an implement.

Dara Vaath

Level 1 Elf Fey Warlock (deceptive)

Initiative +2; Senses Perception +2; low-light
HP 26 Bloodied 13
AC 14; Fort 12; Ref 13; Will 14
Speed 7
Action Points 1
Melee dagger +2 vs AC (1d4-1)
Ranged longbow +5 vs AC (20/40, 1d10+2)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Racial Traits: Fey origin, group awareness, wild step
Class Abilities Fey Pact (eyebite, misty step), Prime Shot, Shadow Walk, Warlock's Curse +1d6
At-Will Powers Eldritch Blast, Eyebite
Encounter Powers Elven Accuracy, Witchfire, Hunter's Quarry (ranger class ability)
Daily Power Dread Star
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alignment Good; Languages Common, Elven
Feats Armor Proficiencies (cloth, leather), Warrior of the Wild, Weapon Proficiencies (longbow, shortbow, simple melee, simple ranged)
Skills Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Intimidate +8, Nature +2, Perception +7, Thievery +7
Str 8; Con 14; Dex 14; Int 14; Wis 13; Cha 16
Equipment Basic clothing, leather armor, longbow w/30 arrows, dagger, standard adventurer's kit, thieves' tools, 8 gp

Background
Early on Dara showed an attachment to the Fey. She took this ability and combined it with her race's penchant for bows. Her arcane abilities manifest themselves through the use of her bow with her firing blasts of eldritch energy from it. She can be a wonder to behold. She uses her abilities in the fight against those that would infringe on the Fey and her people. She has ventured out into the world to learn more of those enemies so that she may be better prepared to battle them.
People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people. --Howard Zinn He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a monster. --Friedrich Nietzsche Devil\'s Brigade
Delvar Deeps, Dwarven Infernalist, Was once a minor miner working on a new thread in the volcanic dwarven community of "Mordains mouth" when he fell through a lava tube and tumbeled and rolled, his leather armor sliced and burned to ribons on the razor sharp rope lava (pahoehoe) untill he was dumped into an actual lava pit, landing on a slab of serpentine ( a natural stone that can resist the intense heat of magma)with a rather angry looking being before him. She thanked him for breaking the seal on her prison and offered him two choices, either he could sit here and die, or he could work for her and live. Obvious which choice he made or this would be a short character description.

He signed the pact by sticking his hand in the lava itself and drew out a hammer of pumice (Aa lava) on a stalagmite. His hand was burned black and as the chunks of chared flesh fell away, freshly healed skin was beneith, the flesh riped with burn scars like it had happened decades ago. Whith the pact sealed he got a one way ticket out of the volcano as it erupted, launched out as part of the pyroclastic bits he crashed several miles away in the rock cocoon. He hasent come home yet, assuming them to belive he was slain in the eruption.

As for powers...

Eldrich blast is him forming a rock in his hand and flinging it up into the air, then smacking it with his hammer at his enemy like a tennis serve.

Hellish rebuke is still the same flamish burning, with more flamish burning whenever he gets hit.

Vampiric embrace is when he slams his hammer down, causing a crack between them, the victim feels a sudden air pressure draw down their life energy while on the other side of the crack he is blasted with refreshing heat and health.

Armor of agthys is him taking a deep breath and spewing out a black smoke from his mouth that wraps around him.

Fiendish resiliance is when he smashed his hammer into something hard, the hammer head explodes into little chips that cover his skin. As the chips fall off over the battle they reform around his rod to remake the hammers head.

Whenever he levels up, his burn will spread up and over his body, starting on his hand, then his forarm, upper arm, shoulder, spread across his chest and belly, down the other arm, down over his legs, first one than the other, finaly will his head will be entombed in burned flesh, loosing the hair from his calp and face as he approaches his epic destiny.
I love the gunslinger motiff. You should have your curse be you point the gun at them and when you pull back the trigger(the word **** is apparently moderated), large bullseyes appears on all there vital areas in a bright red, or black, purple etc. Highlighting there vulnerabilities, aka extra dmg
Shar Gul is a first level warlock and his powers eminate from a pre mature birth brought on by filth fever. The only assistance his parents, two recently freed slaves, could come by was a warlock with which he shares his name. The reason for his concealment and the darkness that follows him after just a few steps is due to the fact that the warlock who saved his unborn life chose to wrap him in the essence of mystery, the very fabric of beyond the stars and the stars themselves.

Now nearly thirty, a wanderer who is captivated by knowledge and adventure he wears a cloak that covers his body and a semi terrifying mask to shield the star like scars that cover his face and body. He makes sure never to remove these articles, especially at night, as that is when the darkness covers his entire body and the scars radiate with light.

His eldritch blast is as it is describe, sickly purple and black much like the weakness of his birth. It deteriorates his enemies from within sickening their very souls.

For his dread star, he touches one hand to the point of his mask, the monsterous side, right above the eye where the largest cosmo scar resides. In his other hand he gathers the energies summoned from that behemoth star at the end of the universe and launches it at his foes.

To usher his dire radiance he simply pulls off one of his gloves revealing marred flesh and a small scar the color of a blood star. The effect is instantaneous, his hand ignites with a living flame and guided by his implement (see end of post) it seeps off his blackened skin and bathes his enemy. Even after he quickly covers his skin the effect continues charged by the potential difference of both bodies, receding only if his enemy retreats.

Being human and naturally more gifted than other races ; ) he also has found that by staring at a foe and then closing both eyes (Eye Bite) that his mind stays connected to them and is the last thing to break connection, sending searing pain into there body. It is unusual they will look his way again. In the event they do, their sub conscious will be unlikely to want to gaze back upon him and will ignore him for several moments.

His implement is not actually the wand he carries but in fact the mask that conceals his face. Currently more than one of his companions wishes to remove the mask, one even intends on stealing it. They do not realize that the mask is the only way which he can control his powers and to remove it would leave him blasting everything in sight. It is also a gift he received from the warlock who saved his life, and made him what he is today.