Warlock -> Gunslinger? Help!

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Looking to re-fluff the warlock to let me play an eldritch gunslinger.

I want a guy in a dark greatcloak, jangly spurs on his boots, a wide brimmed hat obscuring his features, and a mad glare in his eyes, wielding two 6-shooters.
Very much similar in appearance to Justice from Afro Samurai, while a blend between Justice and Roland from Stephen King's Dark Tower series for mannerisms and personality. So he would be a little paranoid, a lot power hungry, slipping on the crazy side of the sanity line, stoic, not too much of a talker, no hesitation when it comes to violence but at the same time tries to keep innocents out of the way and whatnot, creepy, and again, eldritch. Believes he is following a worthy/necessary cause/goal.

I originally had this idea in 3.5, which worked easier (simply relying on eldritch blast to be my main shtick). Unfortunately, it doesn't seem as streamlined now. I still think EB will be the mainstay of the guns, but how to fluff at least some of the other powers to be more gunslinger, and less crazy star/hell?
That brings me to another point, this is working off preferably a helllock, or possibly a starlock. Much as I like bamf-ing around, the feylock just doesn't really fit, imo.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Tips? Thoughts on the character?

I'll put more into this after some sleep, and work tomorrow.
you can hold a cross bow and just have the blast come out of there for fluff. or just use a hand crossbow like i do, and use your powers for dire circumstances. or when you run out of ammo =)
Thanks I was thinking about that earlier, but A) that seems to make more sense for me to play a ranger, if I'm just using a weapon, and B) Half the point of the idea in my head is that the guns aren't really guns, when it comes down to it. They're just him using is EB. And on that same line, he won't have to worry about ammo.

I'd explain eldritch blast/other power damage like so; higher damage roll means more bullets hit (unless I fluff that he is taking single shots for the round, rather than spraying bullets). Thats the great part about fluffing rather than actually making new abilities, I can explain it however I want!
So Eldritch Rain is a given, for a power.
Have the different powers be different types of magical ammo in your gun.

EB is just your standard Ammo, and your other powers are your special Ammo, but you can only load so many special bullets in your gun at a time.
I got a nice guffaw out of the image associated with the quickdraw feat in the back of the PHB. I can imagine a guy going akimbo firing magic out of a pair of wands or rods.
The Bruce Campbell of D&D.
You could give him a rod that he uses like a shotgun. Of course, he'll look silly "pumping" it and making the, "chk-chk" sound.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Cool idea. I think the standard warlock will work just fine (if your group is OK with the guns in D&D thing). Maybe your "guns" are an implement?
you could say for fluff that that the arm turns into a megaman shot gun. or be a warforged and do it. idk. up to you. then transforms back
I have been working on converting our custom campaign world over to 4th edition, and this is something we’ve added to the game for warlocks.

New magic item:

Pact Arms Level 3+
This enchanted firearm can channel a warlock's abilities.
Lvl 3 +1 680 gp Lvl 18 +4 85,000 gp
Lvl 8 +2 3,400 gp Lvl 23 +5 425,000 gp
Lvl 13 +3 17,000 gp Lvl 28 +6 2,125,000 gp
Weapon: Firearms (usually pistols)
Enhancement: Attack rolls and damage rolls
Critical: +1d6 damage per plus
Property: This firearm functions as a warlock implement, adding its enhancement bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls for warlock powers that use implements. Utilizing the firearm in this way does not consume ammunition.
Property: Once per day when a creature you have cursed with your Warlock’s Curse makes a ranged attack against you, you may make an attack of opportunity against that creature using your eldritch blast power.
Special: You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll when using a pact blade as an implement.

Not sure if this interests you.
Sweet, those are some cool ideas. And I like the implement thingy, forsaken1111.

In my head, for this character, I think the idea of whether the guns are real or not doesn't even matter. They appear when he needs them, and they never run out of ammo. While the whole "special ammo" idea is a good one, I'd rather the bullets just be simple bullets, no toppings added. Thats where my problem is, I'm not sure how to make the other warlock abilities thematic with those limitations.
I've always wanted to do the gunslinger thing in D&D. I found the Artificer with the dual wand fighting feats in some 3.5 splatbook, but never got the chance to use it. the 4e Artificer preview made me want to try it again.

The idea with different bullet types for powers is pretty cool. I think I'm gonna have to work this in to my game.
I think the best option would just be to ask your DM if your warlock implements all look like guns. It would give you no mechanical benefit and would be pure fluff so the DM shouldn't have a problem with it unless it would completely mess up his setting. That way when you get a new magical implement it can be something like getting a gold plated gun or a bigger gun, making it look nicer to represent the upgrade.
for akimbo pistol awesomeness talk your DM into letting your eldritch blast count as a weapon when focused through the gun implement(since it already counts as a basic ranged attack), and multiclass ranger to go guns akimbo and blast people with twin pistols.

Heck you could introduce an item usable only by arcane casters which denied access to their at-will basic range attack power but instead used that arcane energy to fire. Then it really would count as a weapon, it would be relatively balanced, and it would be awesome. I'm totally making this...

[b]Arcane Firearm[/b] Level 3+<br /> This firearm has been enchanted with the ability to focus arcane energy into damaging blasts.<br /> [b]Lvl 3[/b] +1 680 gp [b]Lvl 18[/b] +4 85,000 gp<br /> [b]Lvl 8[/b] +2 3,400 gp [b]Lvl 23[/b] +5 425,000 gp<br /> [b]Lvl 13[/b] +3 17,000 gp [b]Lvl 28[/b] +6 2,125,000 gp<br /> [b]Weapon[/b]: Any Firearm<br /> [b]Enhancement[/b]: Attack rolls and damage rolls<br /> [b]Critical[/b]: +1d6 damage per plus<br /> [b]Property[/b]: This firearm functions as an arcane implement, adding its enhancement <br /> bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls for arcane powers that use implements.<br /> [b]Property[/b]: When a character with an at-will arcane attack power <br /> which counts as a basic ranged attack wields one of these firearms, they <br /> lose access to that power. Instead, the firearm channels the arcane energy <br /> into magical blasts allowing the firearm to function without ammunition, and <br /> allowing its use with powers that have the Weapon keyword.<br /> [b]Special[/b]: You do not gain your weapon proficiency bonus to the attack roll when <br /> using an Arcane Firearm as an implement.

Can modify the items:

[b]Weapon Prof. Damage Range Price Weight Group Properties[/b]<br /> Rifle +3 1d10 20/40 30 gp 13 lb. Firearm Load move<br /> Pistol +3 1d8 15/30 25 gp 5 lb. Firearm Load minor, small

Well when you "fire" the bullet you channel eldritch energy to using it as a focus.

Thus the bullet carries magic.

Or some such thing.
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
:{ Im not the original poster, so i cannot say for sure but, I think you guys are missing the point. I dont belive he is looking for "guns" as in game items or justifications for why a guy with guns has eldretch magic. I think his goal here is to take the warlock, strip off every bit of fluff, and then justify all the mechanics in a manner similiar to "Gunslinger does this with his guns"

Eldretch blast = Lead shoter
Eldretch Rain = Hail of Bullets
Ect. The justifications and the names change but the mechanics remain. I dont have my books here and im not familiar with the powers so i cant really help much however.
Sir Casm, Lord of the Oblivious
:{ Im not the original poster, so i cannot say for sure but, I think you guys are missing the point. I dont belive he is looking for "guns" as in game items or justifications for why a guy with guns has eldretch magic. I think his goal here is to take the warlock, strip off every bit of fluff, and then justify all the mechanics in a manner similiar to "Gunslinger does this with his guns"

Eldretch blast = Lead shoter
Eldretch Rain = Hail of Bullets
Ect. The justifications and the names change but the mechanics remain. I dont have my books here and im not familiar with the powers so i cant really help much however.

Well thats simple... just rename/reflavor most stuff.
im pretty sure thats what hes asking for help with

I actually considered a warlock/eternal seeker for something simaler. theres a girl on the anime trigun who had an eye hidden under her eye patch that could paralyze someone temporarily allowing her to appear as if she were teleporting or moving faster than the eye, curiously she never shot anyone while they were paralyzed. i was gonna pick up a bunch of teleporting powers and eventually get time stop (wizard 22)

some other gunslingerish fluff: dreadstar becomes a shot in the foot, flames of phlegos is a bullet that travels so fast it melts into molten metal before hitting your foe, darkones own luck works as is. mire of the mind is a bullet that explodes in a flash of light, iron spike of dis pins his shadow or something, shielding shades = him shooting down projectiles or deflecting a blade, for those things that stick around like tendrils of thurbrin think leech seed lol, for things like spiteful darts and harrowstorm your blowin him off his feet, thirteen baleful stars is thirteen bullets, hellfire curse is a simple gunshot, doom of delban is a shot that kicks like a mule

that should be close to an example from every level

for others who want a more martial version then powers become trick shots and alchemical bullets. in 3,5 I played a wizard who didnt have a hint of magic instead of preparing spells he prepared his magic tricks things like sleeve cannons, smoke/flash bombs, molotov cocktails ect. lol he was a hoot the great magician of Tornac. he only cheated with magical items twice, once on the final exam at his wizard college (until then he faked it all and was top of his class in the magical arts) and once during the campain.

but im going off topic, a gunslinger is completely attainable by reflavoring a warlock and because the original poster wants to keep it magical its even easyer

just dont read the flavor and pay no mind to the name, look at the effect and think what would my guy do to cause that
I just have this image of the demon appearing behind him when he brings out his implement, which actually looks fairly normal(Even just a stick or something), but the demon bonding with it, creating like an ethereal gun. Then when the bullet comes out, its just a blast of magical energy. The gun dissipates, and the demon leaps towards the bullet.

But just really think, 'what would I do', ignore the flavour text completely. Look at the mechanical aspects of it more, and think how it would apply.
(If it immobilises, maybe its a leg shot. Maybe he's peppering the ground around them with bullets, ala, 'ever seen a man dance?' style)
XiahouXu, you a jojo fan?
Have you looked into the Artificer class?

All I could think of when reading through it was a magical gunslinger wielding hand crossbows and covered in runes.

Kinda sounds like what you're aiming for, although lacking in the warlock stuff. (Multiclass maybe?)
Zigged, I'm afraid to admit that I've never heard of Jojo before...

Should I have?
if your an anime or manga fan then maybe you should check out jojos bizarre adventure its a cult classic. the main characters and baddies have powers very simaler to that warlock you described except the demon is called a stand and is an extension of the wielder rather than an external entity. each stand has different powers making for some insane battles: the main baddie dio can stop time for a few seconds at a time, theres a guy who can shape change, another guy has a small stand that looks like a fly and cuts off peoples tongues ect; range and power are a trade off the less powerful your stand the further it can stray from you its just all around a great read (theres a couple of movies as well) did I mention the baddie is a vampire... no, well he put on an egyption mask and spikes plunged into his brain activating a latent potential in humans

ya its kinda nutz beyond what I described here look it up and check it out

Exactly! Thanks for putting it into words better than I was able to explain. I want it to be a warlock, I don't really want new items or stuff, but I want it to be a gunslinger.

some other gunslingerish fluff: dreadstar becomes a shot in the foot, flames of phlegos is a bullet that travels so fast it melts into molten metal before hitting your foe, darkones own luck works as is. mire of the mind is a bullet that explodes in a flash of light, iron spike of dis pins his shadow or something, shielding shades = him shooting down projectiles or deflecting a blade, for those things that stick around like tendrils of thurbrin think leech seed lol, for things like spiteful darts and harrowstorm your blowin him off his feet, thirteen baleful stars is thirteen bullets, hellfire curse is a simple gunshot, doom of delban is a shot that kicks like a mule
just dont read the flavor and pay no mind to the name, look at the effect and think what would my guy do to cause that

Also great. I hadn't even thought of having it work in ways like that, dread star being a foot shot and that kinda thing! I'm gonna re-read the powers and see what I can do.
I wrote up some descriptions for Gunslinger's powers up to level 3 here. For now, at least, I figure the character as a starlock. What do yous think?

And now to deal with the patron. In Stephen King's The Gunslinger, Gunslingers come from an order of sorts, with formal training. In Afro Samurai, Justice feels it is his destiny to attain ultimate power and forcefully put an end to violence and killing. I think a mix of training and ridiculous personal drive would be the main forces that turned Gunslinger into what he is today. I'm just not sure how to put some lovecraftian entity into the mix as a patron (lovecraftian is how I want to interpret the starlock stuff with this character). Any suggestions? Specifically wondering about how he would have initially contacted/been contacted by the patron.
cool. the biggest thing I got outta it was the rune incribed bullet which is an excelent idea for a magical gunslinger I think ill steal it and make rune inscribed sling ammo .
you should watch "wanted" if you havent already, could provide for some fantastical inspiration (shootin curve bullets and such)
Thats the one with Morgan Freeman and Jolie, right?
yep
Another one I thought of for Starbreath Shot is that he actually fires off a baby star (starbirth shot?), or a chunk of star-matter, or something.

And then for Heavens' Step (name needs work), I'm thinking something like a rift opening above Gunslinger, a giant cthulu-esque appendage reaching through almost caressingly, and pulling the warlock through the rift, only to deposit him back in a nearby spot.
Eldritch blast already counts as a basic ranged attack. Definately take the quickdraw feat also gives +2 to initiative checks. LOTS of wands/rods and only use ranged weapons that are free load (handcrossbow and sling). Fluff of your implements is easy, you should be customizing the look anyway. If you play a half elf you could get some additional razzle dazzle from multiclass option there. A first lvl 1/2 elf w/ one multi feat has TWO extra encounter powers. The rogue at wills are pretty sweet but wizard blasty spells could fit nicely with your wands and rods.
Yep, pretty sure I need quickdraw. Right now, Gunslinger is written up as a 3rd level starlock. His guns, at the moment, work with his rod of corruption and his rod of dark reward.
check out the rod of deadly casting in the artificer playtest article, pretty sweet. Have fun seems like a great character concept!
I will, and thanks.

In some ways, I think this character concept could be better pulled off with the 3.5 warlock. It would be easier to simply be a ranged blaster, relying on eldritch blast. And the invocations would be other sinister effects, rather than me having to try twist all these things together to be produced/have something do with his guns.
I've worked out the re-fluffing to a few more powers.

Cover Fire (Hunger of Hadar). When you need to keep an area enemy-free, or keep enemies bottled up, this is the way to do it. You concentrate your fire in a small area. Volley after volley of bullets tear their way through the space, kicking up clouds of dust and dirt, as well as persuading targets to keep their heads down.

Moonstone Bullet (Infernal Moon Curse). Two shots, together more powerful than the shots of any lesser gunman. While the sheer power of your first shot knocks your target into the air, it is your second shot that matters most. Imbued with the energy of worlds beyond ours, where gravity works in different ways, if at all. This shot pins your hated foe in the air, as the essence of a different world corrupts and infects it.

What do you think?
Again, these are just the powers I see this specific character taking, so I'm not covering everything. Feel more than free to pitch in if you've got anything to add, think things don't make sense, have a better idea. You know the drill.
Refluff sounds pretty good to me. Personally I would call him a wandslinger or spellslinger and work lots of fancy wand/rod trick descriptions into your actions, especially with quick draw. But also have the warlock spin and twirl knives, crossbow, staff whatever. Fancy tricks ya know.
I was thinking of going the wandslinger route, but wanted good old fashioned revolvers. Can't exactly remember what inspired me, either. I'll see if I can jog my memory.
Now, for some more fluff magic. Hopefully when I've written up enough I'll compile them onto one post, in case anyone actually wants to read them.

Sinister Samaritan (Shielding Shades). You become aware of an immediate threat a mere instant before it hits you. Your conscious mind does not have enough time to react, and you recognize your downfall. Fortunately for you, it is not yet your time. Reflex, training, and an outside protective influence combine to bring your gun up and fire off a single shot. The pure desperation of the shot creates a tear in reality, placed just so to absorb the effects of the attack. You live to fight on.

Too Close For Comfort (Harrowstorm). Impossibly fast, you unload round after round of ammunition into your target, each shot precisely aimed to push him further and further off balance and, most importantly, further away from you. Finally, your assault slows, and the target finds itself far further from you then when you started firing.

Help! I've no idea how to explain Coldfire Vortex the way I've been doing.

And before I forget, I need to fluff the curse somehow. That I'm not sure how I'll do. A burst of smoke from the gun barrels surrounds the victim, mayhap?
Am I the only one who read this thread title and thought of Final Fantasy Unlimited?

That guy was pretty much a Warlock, and his guns did all sorts of cool "Eldritch" powers.
I think the best option would just be to ask your DM if your warlock implements all look like guns. It would give you no mechanical benefit and would be pure fluff so the DM shouldn't have a problem with it unless it would completely mess up his setting. That way when you get a new magical implement it can be something like getting a gold plated gun or a bigger gun, making it look nicer to represent the upgrade.

I agree. Unless your DM's campaign setting is completely void of any firearms (and many are, so be prepared to get shut down) just create a backstory that supports your wands/rods as being crafted into the shape of a flintlock. Or, since that idea alone is pretty strange and nonsensical, make the flintlock a working tool, i.e. a spell won't go off unless the hammer actually falls. You are in essence actually firing the weapon, and the shot is whatever spell is being channeled through it. The most obvious image to me is Privateer Press's Gun mages.

Since you aren't changing any mechanics or houseruling anything, it shouldn't be an issue.
Shakedown47, that is close to what I'm doing. Except they'll be 6-shot revolvers rather than flintlocks. Seeing as the items won't be any different from normal, the bullets and firing all come from the otherworldly power of the warlock himself.

I'm just not sure whether to have new equipment "upgrade" the looks of the guns, or if they should stay more or less the same as Gunslinger progresses.
Does nobody have anything to say, any suggestions?

Concur. Just pull out some Flavor Modding.
Help! I've no idea how to explain Coldfire Vortex the way I've been doing.

And before I forget, I need to fluff the curse somehow. That I'm not sure how I'll do. A burst of smoke from the gun barrels surrounds the victim, mayhap?

Well, not having the book, I can't look at that power directly. However, springing off the name...
Maybe something wherein the bullet is fired and purposefully misses the target, but goes by at such a great velocity, that a vortex follows (a super-wake, as it were). Not sure exactly how to throw the coldfire in...maybe the bullet dissolves into that once the target's in the vortex?
As for the curse...I like either the etheral branding iron, or the gun smoke surrounding them. Either one fits, in its own way...