Drow Background Help Please

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ok, I have resently made a backup character in case my character dies tomorrow sence we are going up against a boss. He is a Drow and I am finding myself in need of help.

I was thinking along the lines of

"One night, a Rival family came and slautered my family, but before they killed me, a group of adventurers showed up, and saved me. A Mamber of the Clergy of the town took me in and raised me after seeing that there was no on else that could or would. I was forbiden to be a Member of the Clergy because I was a Drow Male, and desisden when I turned of age that I leave and live on my own."

Thats like a Short little thing that I made, but it sounds like I just came up with it in like 10 minutes, but I hae been working on my characters backgroud sence I though of him, that was the day after my last DnD game witch is held on Wednesday. Please help me make this sound better.
Ok, I have resently made a backup character in case my character dies tomorrow sence we are going up against a boss. He is a Drow and I am finding myself in need of help.

I was thinking along the lines of

"One night, a Rival family came and slautered my family, but before they killed me, a group of adventurers showed up, and saved me. A Mamber of the Clergy of the town took me in and raised me after seeing that there was no on else that could or would. I was forbiden to be a Member of the Clergy because I was a Drow Male, and desisden when I turned of age that I leave and live on my own."

Thats like a Short little thing that I made, but it sounds like I just came up with it in like 10 minutes, but I hae been working on my characters backgroud sence I though of him, that was the day after my last DnD game witch is held on Wednesday. Please help me make this sound better.

Sounds pretty standard, but why not keep it and just add a complication.

Example complication: He's lying. That never happened, he's making crap up. He's not even a drow, he's a human who paid some wizard to use a polymorph ritual on him.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
Lol, well I know I want my guy to be a Drow, a true Drow, but just, well not evil. One of the ways I though that was that a Member of a Clergy or a Paladin saved me, but the path they had never intested me, so I was ganna make him a rogue fending for himself because he left after he reached his age.

The Polemorphing thing has 2 things wrong with it, one is I am lvl 1 and that sounds like somthing yu character would have to be around for a while, and two would be with my DM if I did that, I would actualy have to pay out of my Starting gold if I had enough in the first place.

But thanks for trying to help. I thank you for it too.
Well you could always just do the "frontier" thing:

[indent]Essentially, the frontier is not the same as "civilized" society. Monstrous creatures are your neighbors and you can either get along with them or perish.

So, your drow family are outcasts. Maybe they were on a mission to the surface and then got word that their house was destroyed, so they just sort of stayed put. Then, after a few generations, they went native, living in a hobgoblin city that has an uneasy trade/mutual protection treaty with a frontier human village.

Your character comes from a civilized society, but one at odds with that of the "common races". He gets curious and wanders into the human frontier town and they grudgingly accept him, because they're a rough folk used to dealing with "monsters". Your wandering paladin takes note of the curious drow youth and begins to preach to him over the course of years. The drow youth is converted.

Well, drow are long-lived, and this preacher was old to begin with. Eventually the preacher dies, and asks the drow to take over his cause as an adventurer if not a paladin or cleric.[/indent]

---

If you can't tell, I really don't like the "my family were all killed" trope unless it's absolutely necessary. If anything, do the "baby in a basket on the doorstep of the church" thing instead.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
Nice, mind if I ask you somthing though? How did you get you words in the center without it looking centered?
Nice, mind if I ask you somthing though? How did you get you words in the center without it looking centered?

[noparse][indent]text[/indent][/noparse]

To center:
[noparse]

text

[/noparse]
Ok, thanks. However, I am thinking of makeing the Paladin a normal stroyteller of good age that tells my guy about adventureing. When I get old enough to leave, I remeber his stroys and want to go adventuring.

Anyone know a good first name for a Drow with the last name Copperhead and Nickname Snake? ^^;;;

A nice simple story, what if it all was your lie in order for you to infiltrate the human world and gather information for the imminent drow invasion?

You may give some inteligence to your family at the begining but spending time at the surface makes you realize the error of the drow ways and bond with your new comrades.

If the DM wants he can have the drow hunt you for your crimes and maybe you will also have to fight against your family in the invasion :D
I prefer the paladin story myself. As far as a name goes, my NWN2 drow is named "Olbaid". Not dark enough? Read it backwards and hope you have a rudimentary grasp of Spanish.

I've been doing things like that for drow characters. Pick a word at random from something in my computer room and shift the letters. "Vindiir" is another drow where I took the word "driving", changed the G to an I, and rearranged it. "Dez'rae" is a former priestess whose name is a condensed version of an old song from the 50's called "Desiree" and "Vash'pkett" came from my husband sneezing while trying to say "water spigot".
@ Shiftkitty: Lol, you got a name from you husband sneething a ward? I wish I had that kind of imagenation. I cannot come up with a name to save my life. ^^;;;

@ Baron_Endac: Lol, I might ask him this campain and see what he thinks, however, I do not know and everyone dose have a good... (forgot there names, something like Insite and Perseption?) check and I would have a hard time beating it. However, would be nice

@ Everyone: When I see a word I like, I'll mix it up and post it her for someone to see if it ok. Thanks for the Help everyone.
Shead Copperhead (Nickname: Snake) [Shade]

Derkan Copperhead (Nickname: Snake) [Darken]

Rifel Copperhead (Nickname: Snake) [Reflection Minus the last 5 leters after tranceformation.]

Ok, this is what I got so far, how are they?
Hmm, keeping with a snake theme, how about Menov (anagram of "venom")? Anagrams are my favorite way of making up names. Thinking of a pre-existing drow name, "Malice" (as in "Malice Do'Urden", Drizzt's mommy), rearrange the word "Adder" and you can get "Dread". Hey, if RAS can use an English word as a name, why can't we?;)

Of the ones you've come up with, however, I like "Shead" the best, especially if it's pronounced "shade" or even "shey-ad".
Ok, thanks for the help Shiftkitty, I have a question though, I dont know what to use.

Personaly, I like the Name Mevon better then Shead (Shey-ad) but what do you think?

Mevon Copperhead (Nickname) "Snake"
~OR~
Shead Copperhead (Nickname) "Snake"
Lol, well I know I want my guy to be a Drow, a true Drow, but just, well not evil.

DRIZZT CLONE ALERT. I swear, drow wouldn't get such a bad rap if more than 2% of all people who played them played an EVIL DROW. I know, the concept is staggering, but for god sake 99% of their society is evil and yet the only truly evil drow i've ever seen are on the other side of the DM screen.

Would it kill anyone if they just went with the stereotype for once? Elves are arrogant bastards who no one likes, dwarves take in more ale than air, drow and durregar are EVIL.

It's like people trying to play redeemed demons for the sake of being "out of the ordinary" or "standing out from the crowd". At this point I'm very certain that a pure bred stereotype of any sort is so far removed from typical thinking that many players don't even consider it, they just go for an epic destiny from the day they were born.
A nice simple story, what if it all was your lie in order for you to infiltrate the human world and gather information for the imminent drow invasion?

/snip

THIS is more like it. Play that character, be a backstabbing sneak thief who values a night with a hot bar wench more than a potential trusted ally. The snipped part is all too cliche, there's too many bad guys out there with a conscience. Heroes wouldn't be needed if every villain just had to spend a few weeks in the town square watching lovers kiss and children play to be turned good.
DRIZZT CLONE ALERT.

I wouldn't say that at all. It's a common archetype, yes, but non-evil drow does not a drizzt clone make.

To be a drizzt clone he would have to be:
  • Raised in abusive drow society
  • Somehow of incredible skill and vastly superior to any of the ruling elite, making you wonder why they're ruling and how they're elite
  • A constant struggling outcast, lamenting his lonliness (but surrounded by friends)
  • A strong connection to nature
  • A strong love of scimitars that come in pairs
  • Big cat companion
  • Angelic in demeanor and action

The character as described sounds like he just happens to be a drow, but he's not a part of "evil drow society" to begin with. And a guy named "snake" doesn't strike me as cuddly.

It sounds more like a Clint Eastwood ripoff than a drizzt ripoff. Even if it was, so what?
Good drow are not all Drizzt clones. From the paladin backstory element, it sounds to me like he just found something he liked better. He doesn't even have "see the error of his ways". He could just say "Hey this is much cooler" and move on with his life minus the angsty soul searching. I've got three drow PCs who live in Menzoberranyr society (House Baenre no less) who would qualify as "good" without being Drizzt clones. ("Good" not necessarily equalling "naive", they know better than to take their fellows at their words or to trust them at their backs, but they haven't resorted to evil acts to attain their goals yet. They are a fighter, a mage, and, yes, a ranger.)

Renizar If you like Mevon, go for it. I was also anagramming "cobra" and came up with "Borac" (which sounds too much like "Borat", if you've ever seen the movie), "Arboc" or "Braco" (bray'-ko).

I just now thought of something that might bring to mind a hiss: "Sithiir".

(Uh-oh. My mind is now putting together a drow culture based on serpents...)
Renizar can't spell. : D
(sorry)
"It's a small mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." ~ Andrew Jackson ;)

(Heh-heh, you should see some of Old Hickory's writings. He makes the average internet user look like a veritable dictionary!)
Not evil=/=good

An one or two shots games character I had was a rather.... cynic, acidic and dark (pun-semi intended) gal; TN Rogue/Scout/Sorcerer woman. Rebel? In a sort of way - she had cut all links to drow society, even converted to an human god (Mask). But not nice, chummy or heroic really. Sour grapes - 'rhymes with witch' girl.

(Stereotypal? Not sure. But well, they liked the character, so....)
"It's a small mind that can only think of one way to spell a word." ~ Andrew Jackson ;)

Lol, thanks

Anyway, what do you guys think would be better for my character? Most people call my guy a snake because of High CHA and DEX for the Telling lies as if they were truth and sneaking around. But is Snake good, or should I do something else like Ghost or Shadow? I am really no good with Name Conceps, so thanks for all they help your giving me.

Also, I honostly dont know what Alignment i could do, what do you guys think. All I know is that Evil wont work in this campain, seeing as it is a "vs. Evil Campain."
Alignment? Unaligned for 4e, CN for 3x.

I'd keep the snake theme, but maybe use "Copperhead" as his nickname. Maybe his hair has a slight copperish tint to it because of the ore content of whatever region of the Underdark his family was from. Maybe even use Shead as his last name. Mevon "Copperhead" Shead. He could have even paid a hedge mage to cast a permanent spell that makes his pupils look like a snake's. Hmm... Mevon "Snake Eyes" Shead...
Hi there, this might not be exactly what you want but i thought it might help.

I once played a neutral aligned Male Drow Fighter in 3rd Edition and this is how i played him. He was basically just sick of being treated as a second class citizen in Menzoberranzan, sick of the fact that he devoted his life to his craft and was not appreciated, because of his treatment he developed a hatred for females (slowly he started to get over that and realise that his irrational hatred of all females was similar to surface-dwellers maybe not so irrational hatred of all drow)

He left, went to the surface and joined up with a group of adventurers (1 of them was female) who were probably just as well-liked as him, some had dodgy pasts, some were just dodgy in general.

Apart from that he was just a normal neutral guy, of course i gave him a personality just like any human, gnome or halfling i would play, but the reason for him having left his home city was that basically.

It got me away from the standard "i left cos im good" or "i was saved by a pally", might be worth trying
Well, alot better then my idea, and saves me the trouble of being unaligned. Thanks Earl, I think I will use that one, make it so he is sick of doing the work, and getting nothing out of it.

Anyway, I have to thank you all for helping me with this character. I hope he doesn't have to be used anytime soon [seeing as there is a boss coming up, and the last one was a Young Green Dragon and almost killed us.]

Ok, here he is so far.

Name: Sheath Hiddenblade
History: Have yet to deside [will post when ready]
Weapon of Chouse: Katar [I just love thoughs things]
Eyes: Red [or White]
Skin: Gray

again, thanks for you help.
I think if you are going to go the snake way go with a rogue. And be good (if tricky) for the most part. And have little to no memory of your childhood raised in a human town.
BUT he must constantly fight off severe thoughts to do unspeakable acts. And this might go in to the realm of cheese but perhaps you where orignally made as a weapon an expairement of a house. And where to be sent into the human world as a sort of sleeper cell. Normally simple and good. But when triggered, either by the drow or a random trigger, you revert to a very evil nature. You where not fully completed and escape into the above world as a child. And the Drwo want there project back. Perhaps there is some way to end it free yourslef.
How about this?

He has lived in the underdark alone for as long as he can remember. No reccolection of anything apart from living alone underground. Can't speak languages, low INT, low CHA. Possibly ranger or something similar.

One day, finds a way to the surface, and is attacked by a group of adventurers. They capture him and interrogate him about what they think is an immentant drow invasion. Realizing his primitive nature, they take him in, teach him to talk, and teach him to fight with a more modern type of spear than the one he was using before.

All of the drow racial traits, none of the evil.
*SNIP* what do you guys think would be better for my character? Most people call my guy a snake because of High CHA and DEX for the Telling lies as if they were truth and sneaking around. But is Snake good, or should I do something else like Ghost or Shadow? I am really no good with Name Conceps, so thanks for all they help your giving me.

I think the name "snake" has been recently overused.Almost to the point of cliche' for anything involving 'action'.

Snake Pliskin, eye-patched mercenary who escaped from New York AND L.A.
Solid Snake and the fanboy metal gear games.

I'd pick a specific snake to name him after or even a type of snake.
Shifty? dexterous? Charming?

V'pehr Hydnblayd (Viper Hiddenblade)
M'mba Duskrok'ck (Mamba Dusk Rock)

Or give him a normal firstname with a snake type nickname:

Ken'drykk Sho'shunn - (kendrick Show-shun) "The Viper"
Mer'kyoj Mo'Ondri - ( mer-kodge Mo-ondree) "The Mamba"

The coolest way to do it, is to pick your snake type (Copperhead) and make his drow name SOUND like it.
Komprr Hi'yed

The paladin and those who meet him first on the surface couldn't pronounce his drow name, so they named him what it SOUNDED LIKE.

"What's your name, boy?"
"Komprr Hi'yed ...of house Hi'yed"
"um..How about we just call you Copperhead..sounds close enough."
"*boy shrugs, not knowing the "cool" nickname given.*"

Just some help...

Sho: out.
"Fangs"?
...i think my favorite languages is being butchered in here, but on with life,i think what youve got down is pretty nifty(yeah im special) and as im sure other people have said yes drow are evil but its really hard for some if not mos tof us to be evil in a good group and almost impossible if the campaign is stopping evil invasions and whatnot
...i think my favorite languages is being butchered in here, but on with life,i think what youve got down is pretty nifty(yeah im special) and as im sure other people have said yes drow are evil but its really hard for some if not mos tof us to be evil in a good group and almost impossible if the campaign is stopping evil invasions and whatnot

So what is your favorit Language? As for the Evil thing, we have already desided on a background consept. However the end might not be so hot, it would make hm so he is at the vary least Unaligned. In fact, I was thinking of makeing him a "Dark Hero," doing some other "Heros" would find questinable, but do the right thing none the less.

One of his text when someone asks him about why he carrys poison.

"I live in a world were every day I have to fight to survive, It is Kill or be killed, and this poison helps me survive to see tomorrow. What about you, you live in the same world right? what would happen if you find youself at the end of the blade without any hope of rescue and you enemy far out skills you?"

Dont know what a good Deity for him would be, maybe wone for survival? Or something for death? I was thinking Raven Queen, fighting Death, but not trying to aviod it. Or is there a diffrent Deity of Survival? Not life, because Life is why diffrent from survival.

Character So Far

Name: Ken'drykk Duskrok'ck [Ken-dreek Dusk-rook]
Race: Drow
Class: Rogue
Age: ??? [whats the normal age for a adventuring young Drow?]
Hight: 5'6"
Weight: 146 LB's

[28 Point Buy/stats at 10/Ability Mod already Added]
STR: 10 [+0]
CON: 14 [+2]
DEX: 18 [+4]
INT: 10 [+0]
WIS: 14 [+2]
CHA: 18 [+4]

Apperence: Ken'drykk Duskrok'ck stands to about 5'5" feet tall and weights about 145LB's. He has a Red Tattoe that runs from his Left face cheek down to his right hand. He Normaly wairs Hide armor and is very Nimble.

Attitude: Ken'drykk calls himself a mersenary, and when he gets a job, he will stop at nothing until he finishes the job, finds it is imposible to finish, or die trying. He is not very kind hearted, and feels little remorce tourds the deseased, for he has seen more then his fair share of death. He tend to keep to himself and stick to the edges of places he goes, not trying to get close to anyone. However, on thoughs few times he does make a friend, he is feicly loyal to them. Most mark him as a "Dark Hero" for doing a job of a good man, but doing it in ways that may seem questionable to most.

Favorite Weapon: Katar or Rapier, havn't desided. However, I have drawn exilent looking blades. If only I was as good as character as I was blades. If you wish to see them, all you need do is ask.

Background: Ken'drykk has been on the reseaving end of misforchune for some time. One night, when his family and him were sleeping soundly, when their house was attacked by a rival family. They slaughted his family and were close to killing him when a group of adventures steped in and put a stop to there raid. The searched the house, only to find one surviver. The depated to save the misrible boy or leave him as he is, and most likely die. Most in the group didn't want anything to do with him. [If you know Inuyasha from Inuyasha, then you know how he acts. for the most part.]

However, there was one in the group that took pity on him, a follower of [enter deity]. He took him in and brought him to his house in a large populated city far from Ken'drykk old home. Most people looked at him as an enemy, someone who didn't belong. Whenever somthing happened in the city, fingers were pointed at him untill proven guilty. He was lucky to have his guardian with him to protect him from the peoples harsh treatment. When Ken'drykk turnd of age, his guardian sent him away to train and master his fighting. He gave Ken'drykk suplys for his travles. Ken'drykk left without questioning his masters wishes, but deep down, he felt betrade by the only one who took care of him. He left and did jobs that needed to be done across the land to earn a reputation and some gold if he can squeeze some in there.

So, how is it so for?
I like it. As for his age I suggest in the late teens, early twenties since elves now mature faster.
Show
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/dnd/class/images/banners/Artificer.jpg)
Renizar If you like Mevon, go for it. I was also anagramming "cobra" and came up with "Borac" (which sounds too much like "Borat", if you've ever seen the movie), "Arboc" or "Braco" (bray'-ko).

"Arboc"... isn't that a Pokemon? :P

(Yes yes, I know, it's "Arbok"... they can't spell either)
@ coston89: Thanks, and I'll add the age now. I am thinking of also Posting him in Optimization so I can see how tom improve appon him. I did point buy system so I don have to roll 'Now.'

@ mikeejimbo: Pokemon did Arbok with a k instead of a C so it would One, look better and neater, and Two, not be to easy to igure out, it looks like you figured out what took me two pokemon Generations to.

Any anyone else wanna post what they think of Him so far?
I think the dark hero concept is a good direction to take him. So far from the ideas expressed in this thread you have what looks like a fun character to play.

That said he bumps into one of my few PC "pet peeves", races that are technically monsters as a PC. It is a given that most societies in D&D worlds have a high level of pluralism, but a line is usually drawn as to who the "bad guys" are. You know the world that your campaign is set in and I don't, so I may be off target.

As a DM/GM I prefer to run a campaign based around a community (village, keep, ship, city neighborhood etc). This allows for among other things apparent bad folks to earn the good graces of those around them (NPCs). It also sets up a defense for the PC along the lines of "I don't care if he is a Drow (or an Orc, Gnoll, etc) he has done us right so why not step off before all of us have an issue with you".
For a deity, I don't have my books in front of me right now, but what about a deity of the wild, or something representing the natural way? Survival is the number one priority instinct of every living thing. While not necessarily a 'Kill or Be Killed' thing, it's at the very least a "As long as you aren't threatening my ability to live you're safe, but infringe upon it even once and I'm gonna bring everything to bear to ensure a swift end to your life."

I'm sure there's a deity for that in the PHB, but if not, you could decide that he's discovered that same internal feral force that Drizzt would have called "The Hunter". Maybe your guy just aproaches it differently (i.e., a little less psychotically and more like a conscious decision).
@ charger28alpha: What do you mean?

@ Shiftykitty: Thanks, but I dont know how he would get it though, I'm not that good with it.
Hmm, yeah, the problem might be that "deity of nature" usually depicts nature as something out of Walt Disney. Maybe take a look at Kord?

• The storm god and the lord of battle

• Unaligned

• Be strong but do not use your strength for wanton destruction

• Be brave and scorn cowardice in any form

• Prove your might in battle to win glory and renown

The last one may not fit very well with a Dark Hero, but you could adjust it a little by leaving off the last part. Just prove your might in battle. To whom? To yourself and Kord. Everyone else can bite your butt for all you care.
The last one may not fit very well with a Dark Hero, but you could adjust it a little by leaving off the last part. Just prove your might in battle. To whom? To yourself and Kord. Everyone else can bite your butt for all you care.

LMAO, thats funny, and it is so true of what my character beleaves in. I think I might go with him, he seems to be just what the Docter ordered for this guy. Also, I was thinking of Takeing the Fighter Mulityclass and going Pit Fighter, how does that sound to you?
Kord can work very well with the Dark Hero concept. I mentioned in a thread about a Dragonborn Paladin of Kord that I see an inner conflict with Kord followers. That is having the unbridled power of a storm, but needing to keep it in control to avoid wanton destruction. Your PCs fight to control the "strom" within and his failures to do so can be work well with the dark almost anti-hero concept.

What I was trying to get at with my earlier post was this. Why are people (average joes and janes) not trying to lynch your Drow when he walks into town? The default setting of D&D, as much as there is one, implies that multiple races live together in relative harmony. However, some races are considered "bad guys", Drow among them. However, this may not be an issue in your campaign world. For example, in a Points of Light type setting it is possible no one has ever seen a Drow, thus they would not identify him with Evil.

The quote I posted could come from a burly guy (NPC) in a tavern in the village or city neighborhood where your PC has earned acceptance, in spite of his racial reputation. Imagine sitting in the tavern with your fellow PCs when some group of random do-gooders comes in and starts giving you problems for being a Drow. Since your PC has earned the respect of the locals someone steps up and defends him with the quote I posted.

Hope this clears up my earlier post.
Sign In to post comments