Warlock Patrons?

53 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been working on a new character, a Fey-Pact Warlock (or Feylock, I guess we're calling them now) and was coming up with ideas for the arcane entity that he draws his power from. Basically, Lolth dreamed that she trysted with Corellon and bore a child. This dreamchild lives only as a vague sentience, alive only through the ambient arcane power of the Feywild. He whispers his promises of power to a chosen few in the hopes that it may one day grant him true life and a chance to claim godhood.

I'm thinking of calling him Loreth Sleepweaver, the Dark Prince of Dreams. It was just something that started to coalesce in my mind reading through the Fey Warlock powers.

Anyway, this got me thinking: Has anyone come up with interesting ideas for the mysterious beings their warlocks make pacts with?

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
It took me a really long time to decide what my fey patron was like. Did anyone else find the fey patron to be the hardest to conceptualize?

When I imagine the fey wild I'm largely influenced by the way nature spirits are represented in the latest block of the Magic TCG. Spirits in the wild are entities born purely of one concept. A magnificent elk that happens to be the spirit of healing and peace or a creature of pure fire and rage who encompasses all vengeance. Basically when I look at the fey wild in my imagination it's filled with creatures that are the manifestations of ideas, dreams, and emotions. It was around that concept and a little help from the movie Princess Mononoke that I came up with my patron.

My characters patron was a spirit of freedom and travel (teleportation well represented eh?) who was attacked and locked into a bloody battle with another powerful fey creature. My patron barely made it away with his life only to stumble upon my character who happened to be mortally wounded himself. Both saw a need for survival so they merged souls giving my character his adept skills in the arcane.
Firstly, I love your concept. Lloth's dream child ... heh, its great.

One of my players is going to make a Infernock (I guess?) and wanted to have a cool backstory for how he made his pact. The race is a homebrew race from our campaign world, but just think Desert Eladrin for a close idea. Cael Arcane became lost in the deserts outside his country, dying of thirst. He came upon a black well, and a giant demon came out (we have yet to name the demon). The demon said he would guide him out of the desert for half of his total life. Cael agreed, but only if the demon would give him his power as well. The demon agreed, with the province that he would grant him a small amount of his power. If Cael ever wanted more, he should just become lost in the desert again. (Which he will do at level 11 to enter his paragon path.)
Firstly, I love your concept. Lloth's dream child ... heh, its great.

But also Corellon's in a way. I picture him being neither as dark as his "mother" nor bright like his "father". He's definitely grey, unaligned, and sometimes as wild and capricious as the feywild itself. He requires very little of those he pacts with, only to be allowed to passively share their existance so he can gain pwer.
One of my players is going to make a Infernock (I guess?)

I think the CharOppers have settled on Hellock, or some such term.

Fairbanks
Fairbanks, level 5 Human, Slayer (Multiclass: Cavalier) Human Power Selection Option: Heroic Effort Background: Blademaster (Acrobatics class skill) Theme: Neverwinter Noble FINAL ABILITY SCORES STR 18, CON 10, DEX 17, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 13 STARTING ABILITY SCORES STR 16, CON 10, DEX 16, INT 10, WIS 10, CHA 12 AC: 20 Fort: 19 Ref: 16 Will: 14 HP: 49/49 Surges: 6/9 Surge Value: 10 [X] Action Point [] Second Wind TRAINED SKILLS Acrobatics +10, Athletics +11, Diplomacy +8, Endurance +7, Intimidate +8 UNTRAINED SKILLS Arcana +2, Bluff +3, Dungeoneering +2, Heal +2, History +2, Insight +2, Nature +2, Perception +2, Religion +2, Stealth +5, Streetwise +3, Thievery +5 POWERS Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack Card Link Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack Card Link [] Human Racial Power: Heroic Effort Card Link [X] [X] Multiple Class Attack: Power Strike Card Link [X] Fighter Utility: Duelist's Assault Card Link [] Fighter Utility: Mobile Blade Card Link [] Level 2 Utility: Honorable Challenge Card Link [] Neverwinter Noble Utility: Take Heart, Friend! Card Link Multiple Class Utility: Defender Aura Card Link [] Paladin Attack: Righteous Radiance Card Link FEATS Level 1: Heavy Blade Expertise Level 1: Armor Finesse Level 2:Heavy Armor Agility Level 4: Squire of Righteousness ITEMS Dagger x3 Adventurer's Kit Aecris Black Iron Scale Mail +1 Horned Helm (Heroic Tier) Holy Symbol of Bahamut 1 Opal 73g 145s 50c
I created for my own Feylock a very specific entity that I came to call the Great Tree Brother. Im not going to go too much into it since that would be tedious but basically it's a Fey Creature along the lines of something from the Far Realm other then anything else.

Basically there is a plane that has existed before time. On this plane there was a magical spring of chaotic magical energy. Eldritch, Arcane, Primal, etc. It would actually be better to say the spring was the plane since it doesnt follow mortal rules of what's possible. On that plane a giant tree grew from the chaos of the spring. Over time it's roots pierced deeper and deeper into the spring, until they popped out into the material plane(s). This doesn't have to mean in a physical sense either.

The tree had never seen any other form of life other then itself and quickly used it's power to fill it's world with creatures taken from the myriad of planes it had come across. Over time it grew a consciousness and began to push further into these worlds. Doing so it became aware of humanoids and other sentient beings. It is fascinated by these creatures but finds it hard to communicate with them since their minds are so different. It seeks to nurture any good beings it comes into contact with but most of the time leaves their minds broken and the person completely insane.

My feylock has brushed up against the mind of the Great Brother Tree and has agreed to help him learn more about the material plane(s) in return for the power to help his ethnic group. The GBT has agreed but the aid of a creature so far removed from our world is risky and chaotic a best.

>_>

<_<

or that's how Im playing my guy XD
Hellocks have demons/devils.
Cthulocks have Cthulhu and the Far Realms.
Feylocks have faeries and rainbows.

I rather fight a Feylock.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Cthulocks have Cthulhu and the Far Realms.
Feylocks have faeries and rainbows.

I rather fight a Feylock.

Haven't read Dresden Files much, huh?

Actually, I think I may rather fight the Feylock as well.
IMAGE(http://pics.livejournal.com/drivingblind/pic/000227we)
But for reasons you probably aren't thinking. Meet Leanasidhe, a noble of the Winter(Unseelie) court, and her pets. Poor Dresden ran into his Fairy Godmother in the Nevernever(Think Feywild), and Leanasidhe is trying to protect him. Honestly. Being turned into one of her hounds is her idea of being safe.
well, lets take the MM from 3.5 for example. does anyone remember the type of fey their were?
my favorite, were ragewalkers...yea. ragewalkers.
Banshrea in the MM are sneaky little fey.
There is a such thing as "fey wild" now. Go look some stuff up. Nasty creatures there.
People seem to be hating on the fey.

Two Words

Pan's Labyrinth

freaky crap man... watch it
Haven't read Dresden Files much, huh?

Actually, I think I may rather fight the Feylock as well.
IMAGE(http://pics.livejournal.com/drivingblind/pic/000227we)
But for reasons you probably aren't thinking. Meet Leanasidhe, a noble of the Winter(Unseelie) court, and her pets. Poor Dresden ran into his Fairy Godmother in the Nevernever(Think Feywild), and Leanasidhe is trying to protect him. Honestly. Being turned into one of her hounds is her idea of being safe.

Honestly, the Fey scare me the most of the three (I've read too much Dresden). I would have picture Leanasidhe to be a bit more statuesque. That looks more like my idea of Maeve (just swap the skirt for some ripped skin tight jeans).
I am going to play a Feylock next sunday for an ongoing campaign, and i went with Folklore... I checked Fairies on Wikipedia and from there got to more broad subjects.

So my Feylock is an Eladrin working as an agent of the Seelie Court (the Court where the "good" fey rules as opposed to the Unseelie Court for the "Evil" fey.) And before leaving the Feywild to go in the human world, he made a pact with the Court so he would retain his powers with the Feywild while in another environment and so he could gain more powers over time. He is also going to report his finding to other agents of the Court.

Basically, all my questing and adventures will be around obeying my orders all the while trying to go around them. Its going to be quite fun!

*EDIT* I am currently reading the first book of the Dresden files and i like it a lot!.

Sered
I think 4e is trying to make it clear that the feywild is a dark and dangerous place full of insane amoral creatures. This is not the fuzzy fey creatures of previous editions. It is a place of primal untamed magic and twisted nightmares. If the far realm is lovecraft, then the feywild is tim burton/lewis carol.

Pan's labrynth is a good example too.
For your patron,

Titania: Queen of the fae, but she could act less like an elf and more like the Queen of Hearts, passing down all these crazy laws.

The key is to make amoral and capricious rules that make no sense. Like the adventurers could happen on a glenn of kind nymphs who are playful and friendly, but then a cloud covers the moon for a second, and as everyone knows whenever a cloud covers the moon, its time for the ritualized sacrifice of all visitors. Have them act like this is perfectly normal to drive home how insane they are.

Sort of Alice in Wonderland meets Lord of the Flies. Of course this would require your DM to do most of the work.
Maybe the Anti-Sidhe Court (?) Queen of Air and Darkness (canon in D&D) leader may fit better for a darker fey thing.

She is.... an husk. A dark void. A shadow of what she was, a sister to Titania corrupted by an unholy crystal thing (linked to Tharuzidun?). Hatefull thing.
The thing I've always felt about Fey was although they were chaotic and had strange rules they followed those few rules with a granite like resolve.

For instance let's say I summon up a strong fey creature asking for some knowledge or a favor. I would first have to get him interested in the situation, since he is free spirited and slightly capricious in nature.

Once I have his attention I have make my proposal or request in a way that will appeal to him. Fey usually have NO NEED of gold or material wealth but they covet gems, pieces of artwork or musical instruments, or perhaps some rare item like a blue egg shell from a creature that lives only on one mountain range.

Or perhaps it's something even more out there. It might be the color of my hair, or all my memories before I was three, 15 years of my lifespan, a child if I ever have one. Perhaps it's my ability to see the color green or hear my own name. It might even be something considered impossible like bottled sunshine or a summer's breeze stitched into a scarf.

You never know what a fey might want and that makes them even more creepy. A fey of almost demigod proportions might want the blue egg shell while a lowly fey may want a quarter of the blood in your body.

And while a fey may twist the words or letters of an agreement they almost NEVER break said contracts. If you bring the shiny smooth stone from the pool in a dragon's lair the fey, like promised, will bring you information about the fomorian lich that has come to the material plane.

You have to word what you want carefully because they may not always bring back quite what you want. If you ask what the fey knows about the dark goddess Lolth it may just tell you she likes spiders and disappear, having fulfilled the letter(if not the spirit) of the agreement.

Fey are wild, free, and capricious. Their goals are strange and seemingly amoral sometimes and they hate to be burdened by a task or a rule they don't want.

But that same freedom of spirit makes them take agreements that much more seriously. Fey avoid being bound by something passionately but if they agree to an agreement they will see it out. And if you don't fulfill your own end then the Fey, in it's mind, is free to punish you anyway it sees fit.

I'm becoming redundant so I'm going to stop there.
It was actually extremely easy for me to conceptualize a Fey Patron. As soon as I heard that they were doing Fey Pact Warlocks in 4th, and the Wee Jas was out, I came up with a -great- background.

Essentially, Wee Jas was the original god(dess) of what is now the Nine Hells. Asmodeus rose up in rebellion and all but destroyed her. She survived on the smallest of praise, reverence, and adulation she received from a small portion of Warlocks who sought her as a moderate choice between Boccob (the ArchWizard), and Vecna (the ArchLich).

She subsisted on this power, until she travelled to FeyWild and met a powerful Fey spirit there, named the King of Roses, and fell into Favor with him. Now she is the equivalent power of an Avatar of her former self, and rules along side her King as the Queen of Thorns, and regularly grants Fey Pacts to those who are willing to accept that their decisions have consequences, and they must accept the consequences of their actions.

I have a pretty lengthy storyline behind the whole thing, drop me a PM anybody that wants to see it.

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

I'm playing my first warlock in my first 4 ed. game in a week, and here is what I got for my feylock, Myrilandel.

Myrilandel's patron[ess] is simply known as the Wyrd, a fey spirit of terrible beauty and fell power. Hailing from the space between stars, the Wyrd fell to earth, and settled in the Feywild. The reason for its migration or fall is unknown. But what is known is that this being is one half of a whole, and lost.

This mysterious being's wild and burgeoning power is bound to Myri's very blood. However, such power gnaws at the edges of her sanity as the wyld witch within ever urges her to revel in her power and unleash destruction (upon foe and friend alike).

I got other patron ideas lined up for other 'locks:
Solusandra, a cosmic entity unknowable and terrible
the Chained God, a mysterious being of ineffable evil (could be Tharizdun)
Is that a quote from Stardust I see, what with the color of your hair or all your memories before you were three business? ;)

The creatures in Stardust are fey-like, but not really. If you want real fey shenanigans read "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell" by Susanna Clarke. It's amazing.

Some of Jim Butcher's stuff has pretty good fey shenanigans too. Summer Knight particularly.
Is that a quote from Stardust I see, what with the color of your hair or all your memories before you were three business? ;)

Hehehehe

I've been found out.
Oooh, the Fey are dark and creepy in so many ways, you can make them really gothic if you want.
Infernals are "Rawr!" and Stars are "Look at my aberration!"

But Fey are subtler and much more dangerous, tis why I love them. Read Yeats' 'The Stolen Child' or even some of the Celtic myths on Changelings, Will o' the Wisp and the like, then you get an idea of how I envisage it...
One of the characters I sometimes dream up for the helluvit is an half-eladrin (half-elf) charisma based starlock, named Ilvaedien. Ilvaedien was born into a mundane life, but was changed after he met a wizened stargazer named Rufus. (A tielfling.) Ilvaedien became obsessed with the stars, and one night climbed a great hill to summon a star-based being of great power. The being that came to Ilvaedien was a great being who introduced himself as the Star God, creator of all stars and the being that wanders the far realm. The Star God helped Ilvaedien preform a ritual that opened the powers that lies locked within all beings, but is fiendishly difficult to unlock. (No pun intended, hellocks.)

Because I am not restrained to refraim from knowing what happens to Ilvaedien in the future and greater plot lines because this isn't a real PC, I'll jump forward. The Star God was one of the ancient creators of all realms, he created the stars and light. The Far Realm is actually like 3.5's astral sea that sorrounds different sections of orginization such as the AstralSea/ElementalChaos/MaterialPlane/Feywild/Shadowfell. I might use something like this to explain switching between different homebrew campaign worlds as well as the Forgotten Realms and Eberron. Of course, this tie would be discovered later than sooner, reversing the old saying.

I would also like to expand Ilvaedien to more include dreams and astronomy.

Warlocks have so many RP options!, eh?

I think I'll provide extended info on this guy in his own post.
I made my feylock Patron a fey being that aspired to Godhood as well, being a spirit of Vengeance and revenge. I renamed a bunch of the fey powers after her, and changed their effects to stuff like strange purple fire and whatnot. I love it!
For some interesting ideas on my Feylock patron, I look at WoD's Changling game. Perfect starter ideas for the fledgling Feylock. Dresden Files, Simon R. Greens Nightside, and Neil Gaimen's Neverwhere are also good for warlock-type patron powers ideas.
Imo; feylocks are one of the most fun types of locks to play because of the diversity allowed.

Some questions to thick about:
What for fey/sídhe is granting you powers?
Why are they granting you powers?
What does he/she want in return?
Which court is the fey/sídhe from?
And if there's a downside to the pact; is there a way to escape it?
And it so, how?
Etc.

@WOLead: a leanan sídhe, that could have an interresting result.
I've left the patron of my Infernal Warlock up in the air. But, I did decide on the story he was told and how he obtained it. An Imp appeared and wove a story that revealed his great grandfather to be an Archdevil of Hell. No name given. His Infernal power was then given to him as a "gift."

The main reason I set it as not necessarilly true is that the idea that my character is seemingly important enough to be closely related to an Archdevil rubs me the wrong way. It's a bit Mary Sue, I should think. So, I've left it open that maybe it's all just a simple plot. The weaving of the tale and the gift of power are set to merely make him seek out more power. And in the process, spread corruption.

Overall, it's not the most interesting of backgrounds, I will definitely admit.

Demons do not grant powers to Warlocks in 4e. They inhabit a different position in the cosmology now and are no longer the chaotic analogue of Devils.
The Bruce Campbell of D&D.
Demons do not grant powers to Warlocks in 4e. They inhabit a different position in the cosmology now and are no longer the chaotic analogue of Devils.

They are to me...
Then again, I'm a Chaotic Neutral Xaositect, so, as expected, I never do the expected.

Back onto the fey patrons thingy though: fey generally like trickery, so tricking them into pact and/or out of the pact's bad side could be prime opportunities to RP. They also live very much in "the moment" and don't usually think about the future. So it could be the latest thing in the (un)seelie court, while later on they might regret it because its a thing of the past. Or they might simply thing its amusing and don't care about the rest.

That, and having your party member slam into a wall because he can't see a planar portal is fun. (I did that in the first session of our campaign)
Cael Arcane became lost in the deserts outside his country, dying of thirst. He came upon a black well, and a giant demon came out (we have yet to name the demon). The demon said he would guide him out of the desert for half of his total life. Cael agreed, but only if the demon would give him his power as well. The demon agreed, with the province that he would grant him a small amount of his power. If Cael ever wanted more, he should just become lost in the desert again. (Which he will do at level 11 to enter his paragon path.)

That's a really cool idea - especially that bit at the end with the justification for the pragon path.

It's also very similar to my concept for an Eladrin Feylock - a young scout got lost in the deep reaches of the feywild, and was found by an "Entity" (probably an ancestor spirit - as the PH mentions that Eladrin of great age become Fey spirits - and in return for a modicum of power, not to mention sending him back to civilization, the Eladrin would give it his sanity (obviously going to be taking the Feytouched Paragon Path)

Slightly related - are you using the canon rules for Demons and Devils, or closer to the 3E material, as by the current rules demons seem a bit unlikely to make pacts like that, especially when the alternative is easy prey. :P
My Warlock, Johan, made a deal with a Pit Fiend he contacted with after years of study. In return for developing the powers the Pit Fiend granted him (along with a side clause that the Pit Fiend would leave the material plane alone), Johan would eventually help his patron destroy a Balor that had become his reoccurring nemesis in the Blood War.

... Not as complicated or random as a fey patron, but I thought it a fair backstory as to where his arcane powers come from.
My write-up for a Fey Pact Patron, the Queen of Roses:

The Queen of Roses:
Wee Jas was originally the Matron of what is now the Nine Hells. Fill in the blank for what it was called at the time. She ruled over her angels with great efficiency, and was basically just like Wee Jas of Greyhawk, with one key difference- she was a Matron of Warlocks. Many Warlocks revered her as a more accessible Magical Goddess, striking a fair balance between the bookish Ioun and sinister Vecna .

Wee Jas "sponsored" many dozens of warlocks throughout the land, granting each of them a small portion of power, in exchange for one thing: every year on the full moon under which she granted the Pact, the warlock burn a red candle made with rose oil in reverence to her.

This affinity for Warlocks is what lead the priests of Bael Turath to attempt to align themselves with Wee Jas, in order that they might extend their empire to all the lands, and bring all the lands together under one banner. This same closeness to so many mortals is what caught Asmodeus' attention. Asmodeus was the captain of WJ's host of angels, and commanded the loyalty of those angels, executing WJ's orders ruthlessly. When Asmodeus learned of Bael Turath's desire to align with WJ, he moved quickly to consolidate his power within the ranks of WJ's angel's, and they rose up in mutiny against her, "slaying" her (actually her avatar on that domain), and seized control of her astral domain. The Gods of the other domains heard of this, and moved quickly to shut up Asmodeus' new realm. All inhabitants of WJs domain were sealed up in what would become the Nine Hells, except for WJs prime avatar, which escaped after the mutiny, and one other avatar, which she had roaming the Shadowfell- The Raven Queen.

Unfortunately, Asmodeus had already made contact with the priests of Bael Turath, assuming the visage of WJ, and striking many deals with the priests, eventually leading to the downfall of Bael Turath, and to the creation of the Tieflings. The rest of that story is the same.

As for WJ, she would have been destroyed, except for the pacts she had made with her warlocks. (WJ had no real priesthood to speak of, so without the devotion of her Angels, she was severely weakened). Manifesting in the FeyWild, with little of her former power, she quickly met a powerful Fey Lord who called himself the King of Roses. After falling into good favor with him, and assuming the mantle of the Queen of Thorns, WJ now rules aside her liege in FeyWild, sustained by the occasional devotion of her warlocks, and the shared power of her King. Naturally, she continues to make pacts with warlocks.

What do you think?

"Not only are you wrong, but I even created an Excel spreadsheet to show you how wrong you are." --James Wyatt, May 2006

Dilige, et quod vis fac

The player of the feylock in my party made his half-elf Jack a bit of a rogue, so where he got his powers from depends on who's telling the story. If you ask him, he'll spin you a grand story of how during his many adventures in the Feywild he encountered four great Lords of the Seasons. One by one, he tricked them out of their power and assumed their positions, saving the land from all manner of unsavory disasters and wearing their mantles as his own (with suitably rakish titles for each one, i.e. Jack o' the Lantern, Jack Frost, Spring-Heeled Jack, etc). Being a good sort he eventually relinquished those positions again, keeping only a small bit of their power for his own.

Of course, no one actually believes him. But he does enjoy telling the story. In reality he blundered into the Feywild after running away from home and had to bargain away promises of future service and not a few memories, hopes and dreams to get himself back home again. The one part of his romanticized version is that he does, in fact, have bargains struck with four seasonal lords. Considering how little they all like each other, that's bound to get him in trouble later on, but he's not the sort to think too far in advance anyway.
but he's not the sort to think too far in advance anyway.

And neither do the fey...
And neither do the fey...

QFT

Dilige, et quod vis fac

Well, I currently have two feylocks bouncing around in my head. The one I'll likely play is an Eladrin, and I haven't settled on his power source yet (but I do like his backstory). He's the second son of a noble house of Eladrin, one with a very strong tradition of wizardry. He was trained as a wizard, but lacked the focus for such studies, and so started looking for shortcuts. Enter the eldritch pact. He became a warlock, and his father, infuriated with his deviance from the family's proud tradition for what he considered to be a lesser magic, exiled his son from the Feywild. This cannot, of course, be enforced, but the young Eladrin must watch out for any in his father's service whenever he ventures back into the Feywild. He himself is fickle and impetious, impulsive at times and indecisive at others. He acts as a spoiled fop, but does have a handful of redeeming traits. Chief among them is that he values the individuality of himself and others very highly, often going out of his way to topple figures of authority for no other reason than they hold authority over others. Any ideas on the nature of his pact, though, would be welcome.

I also have an elven feylock in mind that I think could be fairly interesting. He considers himself to be a druid (think of the Roman-era, skull-on-your-head, heretical druid) and is fiercley defensive of the natural world. He has a distaste for the more flighty fey and for the eladrin, preffering the more primal and savage aspects of nature (he would never swap out Curse of the Bloody Fangs). As far as his power source goes, his patron is Chernavog, a demon mentioned in the "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" module, and called the Green God by his hag servent. Not much information was given about his portfolio or what he stands for, but I think I recall reading something about him being a popular patron of warlocks. In any case, it feels to me like he can definitely be played up as a dark, mysterious, and very malevolent demon with strong ties to the feywild.
For ideas on the Feywild and Fey Patrons, you guys/gals may want to look into the Changeling game by White-Wolf (new World of Darkness, not old).

The fey in that book are explained a GREAT deal, and it seems WotC took a thematic hint from that game. Some scary stuff goes down in the Feywild.. and all kinds of twisted Patrons live in it. A nightmare that feeds on fear, a women so beautiful that the whole world is a nightmare after you see her, or perhaps a living flame that burn for knowledge and is willing to give you power in exchange for it.

All kinds of options, really.

I myself have a Hellock. And I took it straight from the book. Certain rituals are still left laying around that allow people who know how to, to gain power from certain patrons. Devils (not demons). And my character found them during his studies to become a wizard (he's a half-elf, so he has a wizard power to help that make sense). The rituals are quite simple, and simply provide him with a fount of Infernal power. Who's his patron? It doesn't matter really, Devils are ruled by their rules and laws. The ritual designed to tempt someone in ages past still works to this day, whether the fiend in question wants it to or not.

That's how I run it at least.
I'd imagine something like Queen Mab would make an excellent patron. She is one of my favorites. Miranda Richardson's Queen Mab was brilliantly creepy.
A good patron for a star pact warlock could be the "King in Yellow".

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

I had toyed with the idea of making my halfling Fey-Pact Warlock a servant of the Court of Stars, from the 3.5 Book of Exalted Deeds, but that seemed more appropriate for an eladrin warlock. Fixx Feyblade's patron is the Spriteglade Circle, a covy of sprites and pixies eager to prove that the lesser fey can be a power in the world. If only they didn't have such short attention spans - -
I also have an elven feylock in mind that I think could be fairly interesting. He considers himself to be a druid (think of the Roman-era, skull-on-your-head, heretical druid) and is fiercley defensive of the natural world. He has a distaste for the more flighty fey and for the eladrin, preffering the more primal and savage aspects of nature (he would never swap out Curse of the Bloody Fangs). As far as his power source goes, his patron is Chernavog, a demon mentioned in the "Expedition to Castle Ravenloft" module, and called the Green God by his hag servent. Not much information was given about his portfolio or what he stands for, but I think I recall reading something about him being a popular patron of warlocks. In any case, it feels to me like he can definitely be played up as a dark, mysterious, and very malevolent demon with strong ties to the feywild.

Heh.. That's amusing. Chernobog (real world) is an old Russian deity, rather dark fellow. He's part of a pre-christian duality religion, the other half being Byelobog, the Light (Or White) God. There are various spellings to either, and Neil Gaiman's American Gods has a really good rendition of them both.

On other notes more related to this thread:

Feylock! My feylock's patron is a very ancient, nearly forgotten fey of unknown power. It wanted to be remembered again (perhaps a demigod regaining power?), and it accepted her pact on the condition she help it come back to living memory. All her powers revolve around that concept. :D

When I wrote up her background, I described it as, "The fey spirit drew up into form, earth made mud from blood soaked ground formed a humanoid shape, fallen leaves made up its skin, flowing vines became hair, and an ancient fey power barely seen by mortals glowed forth as pale green eyes."
Pan's labrynth is a good example too.

I would gladly have Maribel Verdu as my patron!
It might be a bit of stretch to classify them as fey, but the loa would seem to be a good fit for Warlocks and Feylocks in particular.

In fact, Jim Crow from Grant Morrison's the Invisibles seems like a good example of what a high-level Warlock might look like.
I suppose I'm unoriginal. All my feylock did was sleep with a dryad, and his ongoing pact is he delivers the essense of creatures to her (every time he kills something under his warlock's curse), thus increasing her magical abilities.