A journal

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
My character is a half-elf fighter that keeps a journal and I want to accually write one and let my other team members see it as well, though I've never written a journal and was wondering if I could get any tips, as well as on how to write one in character.
well normal jornals are addresing the jornal like its someone

Dear Jornal Mc. Scopembottom

Today we .... and so on and so forth

Now you might just write down some things that might seem important to you, like a guy who seems to be following someone else. i would say not to limit it to just stuff your GM says. Just try to write things your character would find interesting or important
I have done this in the past and I have to say that it really worked to amazing effect. I really delved into the mind of the character and then projected my now really effective roleplaying on the rest of the group.

I really did something simple...

13th day of Vongora

Island of Ravaging monsters, west coast.

Today we made land fall and began to make base camp, I started to take inventory of the supplies while Ulrik made patrols making sure that the base camp was safe. This reminds me of training on the lake under master....

something like that. Try to include personal stories and continually expand your characters back story

Na Zdravi
Remember to keep your character's journal from your character's perspective ~ beware of accidentally metagaming. Also, tossing in emotional notes as far as feelings about the other characters, the days events, and the occasional anecdote from your back story is great way to give it that authentic feel.

As far as the journal itself goes, if you are printing out on your pc, play around with the font a bit as there are some great handwriting styles; or, if you want to write it out, splurging on a journal from the local book store can make it seem more real.

The biggest problem I have seen with journals is people not keeping it in a singular voice ~ some days read like a poet penned each word, others like a naval officer's log book.

That's just my two cents in the journal thing. Good luck!
Well, they are a fighter, right? Maybe make a tally of how many enemies they have killed or gotten the killing blow on.

And then I would write up events that were emotional for the character, to show why they did what they did and what they were feeling for it. I advise to concentrate on those, to get a better feeling for the character and to demonstrate to others their thinking patterns.
Yay! a journal.

I don't really have any suggestions to give other than what have already been given, I just wanted to chime in and say that I think journals are really cool things to do for your character.

It gives everyone that you let read it more insight into the personality of your character.

I used to give bonus experience to my players for them... but with my new group that would result in a huge experience differential between my players that love to act out their characters and one other player that insists it is pointless for him (as a person and his character) to attempt anything that he is not good at simply because he is not good at it.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Awesome idea!!! I think a real journal is better than a computer on. On the otherhand, I do like some of the fonts. A hybrid of some kind would be better. A cool looking cover and some inserts you made on your computer.
You definitely want to be able to hand it to the other players.

You might want to journal in play. When something interesting happens, pick up your journal and make a commentary on it. " . . . Nondrin searched the door diligently and assured us that it was safe to open. He was, again, wrong. Half the halway fell on our heads knocking Adalard unconscious. That is the 13th time this week. I am beginning to wander if the darned halfling is blind! If it happens again I will suggest we implement a new policy: if you search the door, you open the door. . ."

Be sure to include a hobby of sorts in the journal. If the character is an amatuer cartographer include little map scetches. A bird watcher would list all the varieties of birds he has seen and comments like, " . . .the biggest Three Striped Troll Owl I have ever seen . . . ". If you are an artist including drawings is awesome. A flower lover will scetch the wondrous flowers he sees. This allows you to add things to the places you visit after the fact, making them more real.

Remember the other players will be seeing this but not the other characters. So include humourous comments about the other members of the party, " . . .Boldoron is by far the most inciteful dwarf I have ever met, but he, once again, smelled like greasy pork. I mean seriously, does he weave bacon strips into that beard braid of his? These missions put us in close quarters, one would think he would have the courtesy to take a bath from time to time. . ."

Again, this is a great idea! Good luck.
Here's a few tips:

make a brief list of your character's motivations, and his likes and dislikes - especially amongst his party members. If he dislikes the Eladrin Warmage, his journal probably won't paint a flattering picture of her contributions.

Remember that it is written from your character's eyes, so only include things he would have witnessed firsthand or been told about.

No one includes every detail of their life in a journal, so stick to the events that would resonate strongly with your character. And don't just make it a recap, make sure your character has thoughts and feelings to add.

Read some other journals to get a feel for the style. I'd recommend the Anabasis by Xenophan. It's basically the journal of one of the commanders of the Spartan army that fought its way back to Greece from Persia. It's a good example of an adventurer's journal, and it's a damn good story to boot.