Werewolf Character Race (PEACH)

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm trying to put together a balanced werewolf character race for my players and just finished my first draft. I was hoping to get some opinions to smooth out its rough edges.

Draft 4

Werewolf
Shapechanging mixtures of man and beast that are just as home in civilization as they are in the wild.

Racial Traits
Average Height:
5’4” – 6’3”
Average Weight: 120 – 250 lb.

Ability Scores:
+2 to Strength, +2 Wisdom.
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 (8 in wolf form)
Vision: Low-light

Languages: Common, choice of one other.
Skills: +2 Nature, +2 Perception.
Glistening Fangs: You gain a natural bite attack while in Hybrid and Wolf forms that has a +2 proficiency bonus and does 1d6 points of damage.
In Sheep's Clothing: You can use in sheep's clothing at will as an at-will power.

Feat:
Unstoppable [Werewolf]
Prerequisite: Werewolf.
Benefit: Your can harness your inner beast to use Unstoppable.

[deck=Unstoppable] Werewolf Racial Power
Your inner beast defies your enemies, healing your wounds as fast as they can cause them.
Effect: You spend a Healing Surge while in hybrid or wolf form to gain Regeneration 5 until you have regenerated a total number of hit points equal to one quarter of your total hit points. If you take damage from a silver weapon, your regeneration does not work on your next turn. You do not regenerate while in human form.[/deck]

By the way, if anyone knows how to format the powers correctly on the board, I'd be extremely grateful for an explanation.
By the way, if anyone knows how to format the powers correctly on the board, I'd be extremely grateful for an explanation.

Copy and paste the stuff in the sblock.

Regular format

[b]Power Name[/b] Class Level
Flavor text
Requirements: Requirements
Special: Special
Target: Target
Attack: [Ability] vs. [Defense]
Sustain Minor: Sustain Effect

Thanks Eldritch_Lord! :D
Just a thought, have you looked at the two Shifters in the back of the MM? I think one of them might fit with a wolf type theme.
EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)
Oh, I've seen the shifters. They're good, but we're looking for full wolf/hybrid werewolves, not "half-breeds".
Why limit them to STR, DEX, and WIS for their ability bonus? I could see CON definitely and even CHA to an extent, and at that point, you might as well not have a restriction. I'd let them pick any stat boost they want, just like a human. Either that or just give them two stat bonuses, probably STR and DEX...

Glistening Fangs: You have a natural bite attack that you can use in your hybrid and wolf forms. You gain a +3 proficiency bonus to attacks made with it and it does 1d6 points of damage.

I would remove this. While constructing a few of my own home-brew races, I've wanted to give some of them natural attacks, so I looked up some Monster Manuel playable races to see how they do it... And they don't. No playable races grant a natural attack, and that says something to me. I mean, the Dragonborn don't get a bite attack? Gnolls, Kobolds, Minotaurs, and Warforged lost their natural weapons? Not even Longtooth and Razorclaw Shifters get the natural attacks in their names? No, at this point I'm pretty confidant the designers excluded playable races with natural weapons for a reason, and it would be as inconsistent to give home-brew races natural weapons in 4E as it was in 3E to give home-brew races odd number ability score adjustments.

Furthermore, since the natural attack it out, I'd go ahead and remove the Wolf form altogether and just leave it at the Human form and the Hybrid, though at that point, it becomes unclear how to distinguish the Human and Hybrid forms... I'd probably change that mechanic altogether, really, but I can't say I know how...

Sorry, I just think a creature with multiple forms is problematic to work out well as a player race in 4E, and I don't quite think yours does it very elegantly. Of course, if you like it, and your players like it, don't let me stand in your way.

Why, yes, as a matter of fact I am the Unfailing Arbiter of All That Is Good Design (Even More So Than The Actual Developers) TM Speaking of things that were badly designed, please check out this thread for my Minotaur fix. What have the critics said, you ask? "If any of my players ask to play a Minotaur, I'm definitely offering this as an alternative to the official version." - EmpactWB "If I ever feel like playing a Minotaur I'll know where to look!" - Undrave "WoTC if you are reading this - please take this guy's advice." - Ferol_Debtor_of_Torm "Really full of win. A minotaur that is actually attractive for more than just melee classes." - Cpt_Micha Also, check out my recent GENASI variant! If you've ever wished that your Fire Genasi could actually set stuff on fire, your Water Genasi could actually swim, or your Wind Genasi could at least glide, then look no further. Finally, check out my OPTIONS FOR EVERYONE article, an effort to give unique support to the races that WotC keeps forgetting about. Includes new racial feature options for the Changeling, Deva, Githzerai, Gnoll, Gnome, Goliath, Half-Orc, Kalashtar, Minotaur, Shadar-Kai, Thri-Kreen, Warforged and more!
Thanks for the advice Crimson_Concerto.

I removed the fangs, but I left the ability to change shapes. There were a two reasons for that.

-Change Shape does not change the stats or abilities of a character on its own. Taking the form of a eladrin does not grant the character the ability to teleport, and taking the form of a wolf does not give any of its other abilities. So stat wise, it doesn't change anything on its own, meaning that the ability to change shape is mostly fluff.

-Since it specifies a speed change in the racial stats, the werewolf does get a speed boost when it takes on full wolf form. This bonus comes at the cost of being unable to use any equipment, armor or weapons due to the change in form. Elves have a base speed of 7, so this is actually much less powerful than that.
This build seems massively overpowered relative to the other races. No other race has anything close to regeneration and that ability alone seems pretty gamebreaking (What's the penalty of using five Healing surges if he never needs them? Just pop it at the beginning of the encounter and boom, you're invincible. This should be daily at least) It also should probably only be usuable in Hybrid or Hybrid and wolf form.

The at will wolf changing is pretty overpowered, too. Just wolf and double move, making what is effectively a run with no penalties at all, they then change back to the other form on their next turn. What I would do is make this an Encounter spell since One would probably not be able to control the shape in such a way they could change every 6 seconds.
This build seems massively overpowered relative to the other races. No other race has anything close to regeneration and that ability alone seems pretty gamebreaking (What's the penalty of using five Healing surges if he never needs them? Just pop it at the beginning of the encounter and boom, you're invincible. This should be daily at least) It also should probably only be usuable in Hybrid or Hybrid and wolf form.

I've altered Unstoppable, turning it into a feat, and making it only regenerate a total number of hit points equal to what you would usually get from a healing surge. This effectively gives them the ability to use a second Second Wind, except it only works in two forms and the hit points are doled out slowly over a period of time. Silver weapons only create a round in which the hit points do not heal, but do not lessen the amount regeneration will give back.

The at will wolf changing is pretty overpowered, too. Just wolf and double move, making what is effectively a run with no penalties at all, they then change back to the other form on their next turn. What I would do is make this an Encounter spell since One would probably not be able to control the shape in such a way they could change every 6 seconds.

Elves have move 7. They can double move for a total of 14 squares and suffer no penalties whatsoever. Changing into wolf form gives the werewolf move 8, allowing a move of 16 on a double move.

But while in wolf form the werewolf loses all bonuses from armor, weapons or equipment. This means they are making unarmed attacks (1d4 damage, no proficiency bonus) on any triggered attacks/powers they can make and their armor class and defenses drop dramatically. So the ability to take major penalties to move 1 to 2 squares more than a base player race who will move 1 to 2 squares slower with no penalties whatsoever is hardly what I would call broken.

Here, I'll break it down

Abilities
Elves:
+2 Dex, +2 Wisdom
Werewolves: +2 Strength, +2 Wisdom
Winner: Tie

Speed
Elves: 7
Werewolves: 6 (8 in wolf form)
Winner: Elf, due to penalties werewolf takes in wolf form.

Vision
Elves: Low-light
Werewolves: Low-light

Languages

Elves: Common, Elven
Werewolves: Common, one other
Winner: Werewolves

Skills

Elves: +2 Nature and Perception
Werewolves: +2 Nature and Perception

"Powers":
Elves:
Re-roll 1 attack roll per encounter, grant allies within 5 squares +1 racial bonus to Perception checks, Proficiency in Shortbow (+2 attack, 1d8) and Longbow (+2 attack, 1d10), ignore difficult terrain whenever shifting.
Werewolves: Change shape into Human, Hybrid, and Wolf Form at will as minor action. Only mechanical alteration comes in wolf form when character gains 2 squares to speed and loses all benefits of equipment.
Winner: Elves.

Totals: 3 ties, Elves win on speed and "powers", werewolves win on languages.

Frankly, the werewolf is quite underpowered, and the ability to change shape is pretty underpowered.

I'm going to go back and give them back glistening fangs to re-balance them and give them a new boost.
Really I think copying the shifters ability to do more damage or run faster as a racial encounter power can be copied to apply to a werewolf race. Just do something similar. Like give them a Encounter power that has fluff that says you turn into a hybrid, but mechanically added a few bonuses that complete the werewolf core concept.. the none core concept bits could be powers related to the race or racial feats.

Running fast could be something thats natural in either hybrid or human form. Remember Teen Wolf and how he could bring out some of the wolf abilities without turning completely? Same applies.

+2 bonus to perception (I think they use this for track now) +2 to Insight represent your natural instincts and enhanced senses

+2 to Str and Wis.. this is fine for any lycanthrope race.

Enhanced speed 7 or 8 though I think 8 is over kill. Elves are supposed to be like faster than athletes and everyone who moves at 6 is already athlete level. Infact quicklings are a 9 I believe and they are supernaturally fast so 8 is kind of off the mark in my opinion but its your race.

And then as far racial power, the whole turn into hybrid wolf fluff, and add some mechanically benefit like you heal 1/2 half when triggered, and gain a +1 to attack rolls for the rest of the encounter might be fair enough.

and then come up with some tier power level racial feats. by power level I mean racial feats that fit the power level of the tier they fit in.
Sign In to post comments