My KotS Tiefling Warlord - Ailo bat Tamiel (short)

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Ailo bat Tamiel
Female Tiefling Warlord/Warlock

When Ailo was young, her father, a farmer by birth, left to claim his military legacy. He returned years later, tired and lame, to train Ailo in all he had learned. She eventually set out in his stead, seeking artifacts of their past. The glory of their ancestors: Bael Turath.

---

I'm trying to keep it simple. I'm trying to avoid the tiefling stereotype of the broken home by keeping both of her parents safe back at the village. I'm also considering having Ailo carry a torch for one of the human boys in her village. This would have the added side effect of giving me an excuse not to roleplay hitting on or being hit on by my friends.

Her primary motivation is to recover artifacts of Bael Turath. Her secondary motivation is to grown in skill and keep the tradition/legacy of the Bael Turath military alive. She wants to promote the concept of tieflings as a sort of arcane/military nobility.

Thoughts?

PS: Could anyone who speaks hebrew confirm that "bat" simply means "daughter of" for me?
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
It is simple and to the point, but maybe a little-bit more fleshing out. Is it a village of tieflings or is her family a family of tieflings among humans? I might change her fathers profession. Tieflings just don't strike me as farmers (even ones that go against the norm). Along those lines, maybe her father was a historian or librarian who read about tiefling history. Then, that would give an explanation of his sudden need to run off and become a warlord to fulfill his heritage.

Even with these things added in, its still a nice backstory.
It is simple and to the point, but maybe a little-bit more fleshing out. Is it a village of tieflings or is her family a family of tieflings among humans? I might change her fathers profession. Tieflings just don't strike me as farmers (even ones that go against the norm). Along those lines, maybe her father was a historian or librarian. Then, that would explain his sudden need to run off and become a warlord.

Even with these things added in, its still a nice backstory.

I should have clarified.

Essentially, after the fall of Bael Turath, a tiefling soldier "landed" in this small human farming village. He got hitched, settled down, and learned to live the life of a farmer. He and his family just became a part of the local flavor.

"Oh, by the way we have a family of tieflings. So that's interesting."

After generations of farming, one of the tieflings, Tamiel, decided he was sick of pushing dirt and hearing stories about this great ancestor. He wanted to actually do the stuff he heard about, and did. Until he got wounded in a way where he was unable to continue and came home. He wanted his daughter to experience more than growing corn, so he trained her as a soldier too. That's Ailo.
fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
Ok, cool. I just thought it was some random job that would sound boring to a tiefling.

Now, what about the Arcane Thing. You could go a few ways with that. Her family seems like its sorta tame and villager-like, so why did she make a pact with a Fey/Devil/Star-thing? Did she do it because she was proud of her tiefling heritage(I'm assuming she chose infernal) or was it just an innate thing that she didn't need to make a pact. If you just want the fiery power, then take Arcane Initiate with Arcana Skill and Scorching Burst. Scorching is better for a warlord that has a high intelligence.
[

PS: Could anyone who speaks hebrew confirm that "bat" simply means "daughter of" for me?

Nice story. Bat does indeed mean daughter of.

From a slightly more crunchy point of view, I would highly recommend your warlord consider using a spear; that reach is amazing for battlefield command powers.
I would love to go spear. Spears are awesome. Why didn't I take that kobold's spear?

Also, I haven't really thought about the warlock multiclass as it doesn't happen till level 2.

Anyway, I've started recording "letters" back to her father as a campaign journal. ***Warning! Spoilers for KotS!***

Letter One

This letter is addressed to Tamiel Malacantica. It was found in a ditch next to an overturned and ransacked cart a day's ride south of Winterhaven.

---

Beloved Father,

Today’s journey was a hard one. As I mentioned in my previous correspondence, I have been asked to find your old associate Douven Staul, who was traveling to Winterhaven when last seen by his wife nearly two months ago. I and my companions, other neophytes who owe a debt of training to Douven, were on the road to Winterhaven where we were assured other students of Douven’s would be waiting to aid us in our task. My companions on the road were a dwarf named Emery and a halfling named Drebin. It was with these two and on this road that I had my first taste of real combat.

As we were passing a rough outcropping of bush and rock, Emery was struck with a fancy for a walking stick to ease the journey along the oft-traveled but infrequently cared-for road. As he was approaching the tree line, he startled, and was startled by, a spear-wielding kobold! The halfling and I rushed to confront the creature, and our band was nearly overrun by a gang of the red-scaled reptiles over ten strong. I know now that you spoke true about the chaos of battle. In all my years of training, no matter how intense, I never felt fear as I did today on the road. Spears, javelins, and bullets rained in on us from all about the road as were assaulted by the initial group of kobolds. I was sure we were lost when they had herded us up against the dense woods and the halfling was struck by some sort of alchemical bullet which lit his cloak aflame.

The tide of the battle was turned when a lone figure charged the group of kobolds from the direction of the road, roaring a challenge in the name of Bahamut. I recognized the dragonborn, Eruway, from my training sessions under Douven two summers past. At that time he struck me as friendly and of casual demeanor, but in battle he is fearsome indeed! I remember the stories Gran would tell of the ancient war between our peoples, the tiefling empire Bael Turath and the dragonborn kingdom of Arkhosia. I had always assumed the tales were exaggerated by generations of bored farmers. Now I wonder if the conflict was as terrible as she claimed.

With the kobolds dividing their attention, I was able to maneuver myself to protect the halfling as he smothered the flames consuming his cloak. He repaid the favor with his skill at throwing knives, felling not one, but two sturdy kobold with daggers arced perfectly over my shoulder. This feat is all the more impressive considering his small stature compared to my own. I shouted encouragement to Emery, but I honestly don’t know if he was paying much attention as he was knee-deep in blood and broken kobolds. With our enemies slain, we gathered what worthwhile supplies they carried (I took a buckler made from what appears to be real dragonscale!) and pressed on until sunset to reach the gates of Winterhaven.

According to the posted guardsmen, the kobolds have been a frequent problem on the road as of late. There may be coin in assisting the town regulars with this problem, but I was too exhausted to consider the possibility tonight. I left my companions to their ales in the bar are of Wrafton’s Inn, Winterhaven’s village tavern, and retired to a rented room where I am writing you this letter. I will pay for it to be sent out with the next courier in the morning. For now, good night, and fare well. Give my love to Mama and Gran.

Your devoted daughter,

IMAGE(http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/dynamego/ailosig.png)
Sign In to post comments