Salee Olatariel - Background

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is my background for a brand new 4.0 adventure. It's a heavy role playing campaign so please feel free to peach! She's an elf cleric of the raven queen, her first level feat is warrior of the wild.

Salee Olatariel

I've died three times. This has not been my choice. If I could choose I would choose to be among my friends and loved ones. But this is not what The Raven Queen has in store for me. Instead I take the skills I've used and actively thwart the forces of Orcus. I wonder why this is my purpose; it must be my purpose for no other reason than I should be dead. Sometimes I feel the need to throw myself into battle, overcome by a fury; a fury of all the ones I've lost, a fury with the hopes that a sword might find my cure for life. I know I'm not suppose to feel these feeling for the ones who die, but I cannot help it. I don't want to help it, and She cannot take it away from me. That's the real reason I don't warm to anyone anymore. Maybe I'm cursed; those close to me always die. In order to prevent this I have an ancient coin I stole from a dragon. I put my faith in The Raven Queen's hands that she no longer wishes to cause me so much pain in life. Important decisions always fall to the coin and they always will until The Raven Queen wills me to die.

I wasn't always like this, growing up in the woods in a small elven village high above the forest floor, I was a pretty upbeat and easy going; happy albeit ignorant elven child. I was carefree and loved life. The first time I died was a day like most others. It was unusual in the fact that nothing about the particular day was unusual. A duo of evil green dragons had teamed up to wipe out the 'elven infestation' out of their forests. I was running across a connecting bridge when my friend Mika was grabbed no less than six feet in front of my eyes by the creature's talons and lifted into the air. As the dragon flew by his wing caught me across the head knocking me off the bridge and into unconsciousness. The tree's in our forest were ancient and grew into the skies up to 350 feet into the air. I probably fell much like someone falling along side a cliff. The branches below are thick and what would it matter if I did miss them all? I'm 350 feet in the air.

I awoke the next day woozy but miraculously unharmed. I walked away without so much as a sprained wrist. I was able to find the location of our retreat stronghold and there I found the woods protectors; The Order of the First Bow. Within the day I had enlisted to end the two dragons who had done this. Within the month I had been initiated into the Order of the First bow, receiving the tattoo across my face that unites and identifies us. Within the year we had tracked down the largest of the two, the male. Down into his cave we went as silent as a house cat. There before us was a large green dragon sleeping atop his bed of stolen coins. Fury consumed me but I didn't make a single misstep. His deception was not known until it was too late. Not only was he not sleeping, but he had somehow anticipated this event. The fight was over before it started, his tail swept out knocking most of us over. On my back staring straight up above us at the top of the cave was the second green dragon. She reared back her head and with a blast a poisonous noxious gas rained down on us. Sick with the fumes I stumbled away as fast as I could trying to get some fresh air. I stumbled blindly and in the wrong direction; one of the dragons bit into my leg, lifting me off my feat like a pillow and throwing me across the cavern into a wall. I landed in a heap... still unable to clear my lungs of the poison, coughing I succumbed to unconsciousness somewhere in the back of the green dragon's cave.

I of course awoke with all the other corpses. My friends Carric and Charla lay above me; there eyes staring wide open in horror into my face. I tried to turn away and was faced with the man I had fallen in love with; a half-elf named Varos that had captured my heart. I pushed the corpses off me with a scream and climbed my way out of the pile of my friends. You haven't lived until you've seen a shocked dragon. They react much like kittens do when they aren't expecting something. Funny I never thought of that before. My blood covered face must have been a sight to see. I stared him in the eyes and with a strength that shouldn't have been there I said, "The Raven Queen isn't ready for me yet, but she can make room for you if you so desire". The dragon stared at me, I honestly don't know what was going through his mind. He probably checked to make sure we were all dead. After a couple of seconds he simply said, "I'll let you live today elf, if YOU so desire return here on the morrow and we can find out if The Raven Queen is ready for you." I grinned at him, drunk with power, who knows.. bending over I picked up a single coin, tossed it into the air, catching it I looked at him and said "see you tomorrow" and turning my back walked away from that cave, that forest, that entire continent.

I arrived In the human city of Pelanthos on the continent of Malizia. In this particular city is one of the largest temples to The Raven Queen. I walked into the temple with a simple request. The Raven Queen desires me for some purpose; help me find that purpose so I can rest my soul.

I do not talk about the third time I died. I wandered off the path that The Raven Queen has chosen for me, foolishly believing that I could live a normal life, and I was reminded that I have a mission. I do not know what it is, only that those I care about will be taken from me if I falter. Until that time I hunt the followers of Orcus and bring The Raven Queen's word to them.
Nice...

Fatalism can be awesome. It's fun to play a character completely convinced that they're going to die at an appointed time and place and that nothing they do between now and then is going to kill them, no matter how hard the Fates screw them over or how hard they try to get themselves killed... :D After all, fortune favors the bold. (And the only-marginally-sane.)

I can kind of empathize with her, having actually been dead twice already myself, lol.

So, the question comes up, what's behind her "immortality"? Has she just been ridiculously lucky so far, or does her goddess actually have something in mind for her?

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

I think she's just ridiculously lucky. But the ol' DM will probably use this wonderful background as some plot hook to get me to go out and fight bad guys. Hooow original right?
Seriously though our DM told us the campaign was centered around a cult of Orcus and I figured what a great story line. I have a character who believes she was tapped by a deity to go out into the world and kick some monster tail of followers of Orcus.
Well, ya never know... Maybe she just might make enough noise to actually get noticed for real. Now, whether that's a good thing... :D

If the Raven Queen doesn't notice her, it just might be Orcus that does.

So who else is in the party? Do you know yet?

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...