Developing my Cleric's story

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello everyone!

So my friends and I have recently started playing 4e and we all love it. I thoroughly enjoy the system and love how the powers work in regards to having class unique powers that recharge and are usable multiple times per day, except of course daily powers which are just plain lovely. Sorry...I am rambling...adderall does that to me. Well anyways...on to my back story.

We all started at level 1 and we plan on going well into the epic tier. My character is Rolan D'nalor and he is an elf from a group of clerics that worship Corellon. This group's motives are pretty much to hurt/hinder the drow in any way they can and when a young heroic cleric sets off on his lone journey, he is given the title Seeker of Vengeance.

My character has set his ambitions very high, I don't want to just stop the drow or simply be a thorn in their side, I want to destroy Lolth. I mean I am a hero right?

I play in a group of 4 and we all have different backgrounds. I don't want my story to interfere or drive the game play but my DM is very good at writing fiction so I know he will weave all of our stories together in a most epic way.

My question is, is it stupid for a player to have this goal? I don't want to seem like an unreasonable player who can go out and slay gods on a whim. But I want to choose the demigod epic destiny and do my best with my allies by my side and also help them in their endeavors.

I guess another question is...how on earth will I be able to fight or destroy a god? Also, what else should I add in to give my character more depth? I love the 4e system so much that this is the first time I have ever been in to my character. I am fairly unexperienced at "good" role playing as well so a few pointers on that would be awesome too.

Thank you all for reading this and giving me your amazing 4e advice!
You're first task should be to ask your DM if the game your playing will allow for task to done. Most DM's should be starting games at 1st lvl, and the progression of 1-30 could take a few years, maybe more. I'm basing this on weekly play not several days a week or daily play. Orcus in the MM is lvl 33, and I would think Lolth to be on the same or higher par with him. It would take a lot of devotion to achieve your task, but not unobtainable.

I would see your char played as a patient char, never taking one's eye from the goal.You would feel as though Corellon has destined you as the one who would acomplish this goal. Your will would be strong, to the point of seeing any defeat or setback as preordained and as a lesson. You would not recklessly attack another just because you might see or suspect Lolth. Your aim is the head of the Spider, and it will take deligent work to uncover the truths from her many finely spun webs.

This is my take as a DM. If you have the time and your DM is willing anything is possible.
My DM said that it was fine to have that as my goal. We play a couple times per week and we seem to be leveling quickly due to tough encounters and quest completions.

I your idea of playing a very patient and unwavering character who is wise and rational. It fits my stats too with my wisdom of 20. I also want him to be merry when he is with trusted companions and in turn very protective over them. Do you think this would fit in with this kind of character back story? Or would someone like this not care about others this much?
Yes, if you want him merry with his allies, then make it so, but I could not see him over endulging too much, for the greater battle lies ahead, and he must be ready and never let his guard all the way down.

Play as you wish, but think of the things that would hold him to the higher purpose.
Destroying Lolth is a long-term goal.

Your shorter-term goals are to destroy/hinder the drow wherever you find them.
Since you won't be fighting any drow for some time, messing with the drow at this point generally means doing whatever you can to help surface elves prosper. Which indirectly inconveniences the drow.
Show your Elven pride. Be an example of everything the drow aren't. Preach the evils of the "Heretics/Abominations/Deviants/etc" while helping elves in need, and even the occasional humans if there aren't any elves around. Whether you're loud about it or just quietly confident in your cause is up to you...

You could be any sort of character you like, in or out of combat, cheerful, caring, outright zany even, but when you come across drow or something that might relate to them you turn into a foaming-at-the-mouth fanatic and the rest of the party rolls their eyes and hides the good dishes, lol...

Since you've got a high Wis, you're less likely to scream "Abominations!" and start the beatdown than to take a deep breath and start to carefully plot how to figure out the drows' plans and work against them, either directly or indirectly.
You're probably more of the grim, driven, "My work is never done" type of fanatic - you might be the happiest, most cheerful guy in the realm, you might not even think of the drow for days or months at a time, or you might consider every happy moment of your life one more thing that the drow weren't able to take from "good people everywhere" and revel in all the little pleasures, but on some unconscious level you're always watching out for drow influence even when you're blissfully happy.
If killing the drow themselves isn't feasible, foiling their plans and getting their human accomplices arrested/hung/run out of town will be enough...for now. Whatever your alignment or beliefs, you're probably a lot more "flexible" about your morality when you know for certain that drow are involved in something.

Keep a running total of the "score", you versus Them.

Your crusade, however, shouldn't be the be-all and end-all of your character. Even the most rabid fanatic is still a unique individual outside of what they believe in. Think of it more as, say, a really obsessive hobby, like D&D...:D

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Mad Jack seems to have a twisted view of matching drow with lolth. In fact, even the PHB page 21 states:

"He (Corellon) despises Lolth and her priestesses for leading the Drow astray"
"He urges his followers thus:
Cultivate beauty in all that you do, weather casting a spell...or practicing the arts of war"
"Thwart the followers of Lolth at every opportunity"

In no way, is butchering drow just because they are drow beautifying the art of war. It is simply twisting Corellon's teachings for selfish gratification of one's hate, and following close to Bane's teachings.

Corellon would not favor you slaying Drow that followed Eilistraee, whose followers wish to break away from Lolth. He would rejoice if the drow turned against Lolth.

Revenge and hate are selfish acts. You would be fighting for your reasons under Corellon's name.

Justice and Corellon's wrath (which could be slaying a troop of drow) would not be selfish, so remember to ask for Corellon's favor before committing to such acts.
As Mad Jack already alluded to, it's good to have *both* short-term and long term goals.

Something truly awesome is reserved for long term goals - massive accomplishments that typically you will need help with. One truly awesome one you'd be happy to end a campaign with is a good idea.

Then one or two others, surrounding major themes of your character and the world, maybe a year out or so.

Next, short term goals can go out a few days, weeks, or months and are significant, but not as massive in scope as long term goals.

Both goal types add a lot of depth to your character, so make sure to detail both and of course modify your goals if it makes sense to do so as you adventure and learn more of the world and things related to your goals.

LEONINE ROAR : Amp Up Your D&D Game : Visit my D&D blog :: FASTER COMBAT : Crush Your Combat Grind

Yes, Kilsek, I agree that long and short term goals are needed as Mad Jack stated. Well written!
Sign In to post comments