Shenzi The Gnoll Warlord/Fighter/Cleric

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
First things first, if you an astute observer you have noticed I named my Gnoll after one of the Lion King Hyenas.

Mechanics Wise I couldn't decide which class to be so I came up with the same backstory for all 3 classes and named him the same to figure out through playing which class I liked most, I'm heavily leaning towards Warlord, I love healing and I love combat... (Druid of WoW rockhouse)

Warlord is typical - Viper's Strike, Wolf Pack Tactics, Warlord's Favor, Steel Monsoon, Lead the Attack, Stand the Fallen, Aid the Injured, Stand Tough lvl 6 tactical warlord

The Cleric is a lvl 6 battle cleric with the standard set up - Priest's Shield, Righteous Brand, Healing Strike, Split the Sky, Avenging Flame, Consecrated Ground, Cure Light Wounds, Bastion of Health

Fighter is typical two-handed weapon fighter (falchion) lvl 6 - Cleave, Reaping Strike, Spinning Sweep, Sweeping Blow, Brute Strike, Crack the Shell, Boundless Endurance and Unbreakable

Here's Shenzi's story:

AShenzi has yellow fur, with a wild, messy black mane. He has yellow, pupilless eyes, and sharp fangs. He stands at 7'0'' and weighs only 280 pounds, so among Gnoll kind he is considered small. He's got a big black spot over his right eye, and a small scar over his left. He is covered in black spots. He is always wearing a dark, however faded to nearly grey, blue cloak, generally with the hood up. He is quick, tough, and strongly muscled, as well as generally charming, intelligent and insightful.

He is somewhat of a loudmouth, and although he generally preferres to try bluffing, intimidating or using diplomacy first, his wise-guy attitude sometimes only makes the situation worse. He generally speaks his minds, but can afford to do so because he can *usually* back up his words with his blade. He loves laughing, and finds humour in almost everything, although he is very loyal, and very reliable when push comes to shove. In combat the more fearsome gnollish traits are exhibited. He does enjoy fighting, as any Gnoll, sometimes for fun, but depending on his mood and humour he may be quick or slow to anger. He fancies himself a philosopher. He is overall jovial, but is constantly alert, and will never hesitate to pick up his blade when the time comes. He wields a falchion which he named Bonzai (Also a hyena from the lion king), and typical of Gnolls he wears a hodge podge of hide armors usually stripped from fallen foes. I guess some things never change.

The story of how Shenzi came to be good is an interesting tale. Long ago Shenzi Padfoot was a member of the Shadowpaw Gnoll Tribe. He was a 1st Lieutenant under the Captain and Tribal leader Capt. Fangore. The Shadowpaw tribe was notorious for making trouble on a small town called Lakeshire. They would often raid, and pretty much slaughter any citizen who stood in their way. Generally Shenzi led these attacks. To make a longer story shorter, the villagers got upset and hired some muscle to take care of their "Gnoll problem". Needless to say the Shadowpaw clan was wiped out and Shenzi fought bravely, however he was knocked unconscious in the end, and unbeknownst to him, taken prisoner, for reward of the famous Lt. Padfoot was high indeed. His captors brought Shenzi to a wizard who wanted to try out an experiment. He rewrites Shenzi's memories while he is sleeping causing him to think his captors raised him as a pup, and they were his guardians. The wizard says in order for the experimental spell to work they must treat him with kindness, and make up events from his childhood, and memories will come to form out of what is said. When Shenzi wakes up he has only his rewritten memory to account for, so he believes these people are his "parents" and the wizard who cast the spell on him is some make-shift grandfather sort of figure. He grows to love his new "family".

Well, eventually a warband of ogres comes through whilst Shenzi was away and wipes out his entire "family". Enraged, Shenzi swears vengeance and makes a vendetta against all evil and vile creatures of the world, vowing to destroy all evil creatures that he encounters, no questions asked. He harbors a special hatred toward Ogres and will attack them on sight, regardless of the situation. He also keeps a shred of the banner from the warband as a bandanna and hunts this Ogre tribe almost relentlessy. The memory spell was so powerful and so out of the frontier of new magic that even the death of it's caster does not uplift the spell. To Shenzi, they will always be his family, here and ever after. Infact it's so real to him, if his memory were to be changed back he would fight it and see it as lies from an evil wizard and cling to his "heritage".
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

D&D Home Page - What Class Are You? - Build A Character - D&D Compendium

Can you take three classes? Under the Multiclass Feats section, it looked to me like you could only take up to two.
> The story of how Shenzi came to be good is an interesting tale. Long ago
> Shenzi Padfoot was a member of the Shadowpaw Gnoll Tribe. He was a 1st
> Lieutenant under the Captain and Tribal leader Capt. Fangore. The
> Shadowpaw tribe was notorious for making trouble on a small town called
> Lakeshire. They would often raid, and pretty much slaughter any citizen who
> stood in their way.

Uhm, unless this character is being played in Azeroth, you might want to rewrite this a bit...
Shenzi is a girl hyenas name...
The back story is certainly interesting, although I think it would provide more dramatic tension if some doubts occasionally made it past the wizards spell. This noble and just champion of good could wake up, panting hard after having a horrible nightmare of slaughtering villages full of innocents and drinking their blood in unholy rites....until he finds the burnt out remnants of said village, that is.
Funny. Our group has a player who insisted on a gnoll warlord too (and she got it).

Here' the character sheet. Perhaps it might help to inspire you in some way.
Useful Star Wars Saga Links
Complete Saga Index
Expanded Saga Races PDF
NPC/Encounter Requests Thread
Official Errata Thread
Official FAQ Thread

Personal Contributions: 10,000+ posts and counting!
(The current forum count is a lie!)

Check out my DeviantArt Gallery!
Can you take three classes? Under the Multiclass Feats section, it looked to me like you could only take up to two.

No, you can't take three classes. You take one and can dip into a second, or take the plunge and paragon multiclass.

However, that's not what Ravinsild is trying to do here. Instead, what we're looking at are three possible builds for the same general character concept.
Yes, the backstory was largly inspired by World of Warcraft, lmao.
Shenzi wasn't a girl in the Lion King.
And yes, I am trying to figure out which class to make for my build.
Which do you suggest?
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green
I'm both instinctive and emotional. I value my own instincts and desires, and either ignore or crush anything that stands in my way; planning and foresight are unnecessary. At best, I'm determined and fierce; at worst, I'm headstrong and infantile.

Warlord fits the background much more than the other two do - I could see fighter as a plausible alternative, but there's no real reason for cleric.
I was leaning towards Warlord myself!
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green

Yes, the backstory was largly inspired by World of Warcraft, lmao.
Shenzi wasn't a girl in the Lion King.
And yes, I am trying to figure out which class to make for my build.
Which do you suggest?

Well, I'd have to say warlord as well. It has a nice synergy what with gnolls being pack hunters. Oh, and BTW:

Shenzi

Shenzi, voiced by Whoopi Goldberg, is the only female of the hyenas. Her name means "savage", "pagan", "uncouth", or "barbarous" in Swahili.

Do an internet seach. Female hyenas are larger than the males, and the clans (as groupings of hyenas are called) are matriarchal in nature. Now given the fact that Whoopi Goldberg, the actress behind the voice of the character in question, is female, and that Shenzi was in charge of the other two hyenas in the Lion King, the logical conclusion is that Shenzi is female.

Now, I'm not saying that you can't make your gnoll a male named Shenzi, only that the character is indeed female. In fact, I think a female gnoll warlord would be really interesting, and it would be nice to see that played up in gnoll culture - I mean, think of the roleplaying opportunities. Male hyenas do very little to contribute to the clan in real life, so you could actually look down on male characters, and defer to females 'in charge'. Give some condescending remarks to the male party members (not too much as to be obnoxious), and when dealing with male NPC enemies ask to speak to who is really in charge.

Now, in a more lighthearted tone, imagine going into a tavern (assuming your gnoll can get in easy) and talking to the tavern wench, only to find that the abusive male barkeep is in charge, you character could get angry at such mistreatment of a superior (female) and start a brawl.

Now, as a male player myself, I still think my suggestions could make a very interesting character, and I actually plan on making an NPC gnoll leader who is female for my game.
Double post
Huh, I guess the one I thought was shenzi was bonzai, and it's been awhile since I saw lion king lmao. I've researched hyenas, there's actually 4 types however my character is based on the common spotted hyena. so that's what that's all about.
I am Red/Green
I am Red/Green