Home Rules : Fluff skills

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Here is something I Cooked up from my previous post. Tell me what you think.

Office 2007/2008 Version of fluffy skills

Older versions of office Version

You know, I believe that they will do something similar in PHBII, So I am jumping the gun a bit and putting these out here :D

Hope you enjoy, feedback welcome.

No one has any creative feedback for me
I like the list of skills and the emphasis idea. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to keep adding skills that get the +1/2 level bonus. It seems to me that could get out of hand.

Maybe PCs could have some of these as background skills. The stuff they learned before their class training. As background skills they would not improve as the character goes up levels because the character no longer have the time to study these skills. It would add roleplay fluff without getting overpowered.

Just a thought.
I like the list of skills and the emphasis idea. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to keep adding skills that get the +1/2 level bonus. It seems to me that could get out of hand.

Maybe PCs could have some of these as background skills. The stuff they learned before their class training. As background skills they would not improve as the character goes up levels because the character no longer have the time to study these skills. It would add roleplay fluff without getting overpowered.

Just a thought.

Glad for the feedback, just basing them on the bonus you get for other skills automatically. Will have to see how that plays out, but you may be right

I will need to reword it, I see what you are saying. Any non emphasis check is supposed to stay at (1d20+1/2 level period) While making an emphasis roll (a trained roll) you add your mod (1d20+MoD)

Example Cliff Claven level 10 drunk decides he wants to comment on the Pink belly Pigmy. He doesn't really anything about them so he rolls 1d20 + 5 (knowledge roll) and gets a 6

Cliff Claven then remarks "Did you know the Pink Belly Pigmy could be rolled up and smoked?"

The Tavern looks at him and he has to recover quickly. He does know something about Weather though.

Cliff Claven rolls 1d20 + INT MOD (-1) + 5 (skill emphasis) + 5 (level) = 1d20 + 9 and gets a 28

Cliff Claven then remarks how the weather near the Tavern has been known to be Tranquil at night suitable for Stories - as he goads another person into telling a story.

Just as an example of what I was going for.
Gave it a quick skim-thru. Some interesting ideas, although since it appears the PC wouldn't get anything more than ability score + 1/2 to the roll, don't see a need to list such things.

One potential notion is that each PC gets a number of "fluff skills" equal to their Intelligence modifier, minimum of one, and they get a +2 circumstance bonus regarding rolls that relate to that particular bit of background.
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, then you've never been on acid." - Eddie Izzard Proud member of the Gamer Nation.
Gave it a quick skim-thru. Some interesting ideas, although since it appears the PC wouldn't get anything more than ability score + 1/2 to the roll, don't see a need to list such things.

One potential notion is that each PC gets a number of "fluff skills" equal to their Intelligence modifier, minimum of one, and they get a +2 circumstance bonus regarding rolls that relate to that particular bit of background.

Thats another good Idea. as well guys feel free to rip my list up and repost it as your own work. I would love to see other things worked up. :D