I don't get Two-Weapon Fighting

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Like the title says, I don't understand Two-Weapon fighting in 4th ed at all.
Wielding two weapons no longer means you get two attacks unless you have a power that lets you such as the Ranger's At-Will.

There are some feats that give you benefits for wielding two weapons.
As I understand it, If you aren't a ranger it's pretty much worthless.

You can only ever attack with one of your two weapons
If you have the first feat you get +1 damage
If you have the 2nd feat you get +1 AC and Reflex
There is a 3rd feat that allows you to hit with both weapons during OAs
As I understand it, If you aren't a ranger it's pretty much worthless.

You can only ever attack with one of your two weapons
If you have the first feat you get +1 damage
If you have the 2nd feat you get +1 AC and Reflex

Right, I agree with Greylurker, it's generally worthless. You can already wield two different weapons and attack with whichever you choose each round, this feat simply provides +1 damage when you're doing so. But if you're willing to tie up both hands, why not just go with a two-handed weapon to get the extra damage and save yourself a feat?

It only becomes debatably worth it for non-rangers if you're taking the two-weapon defense feat, or if you're a fighter who wants to keep two different weapon types handy for specific powers that key off weapon type.
Right, I agree with Greylurker, it's generally worthless. You can already wield two different weapons and attack with whichever you choose each round, this feat simply provides +1 damage when you're doing so. But if you're willing to tie up both hands, why not just go with a two-handed weapon to get the extra damage and save yourself a feat?

It only becomes debatably worth it for non-rangers if you're taking the two-weapon defense feat, or if you're a fighter who wants to keep two different weapon types handy for specific powers that key off weapon type.

The feat is worth it for rogues that only use light weapons anyway. That extra 1 point of damage is an untyped bonus, so it stacks with weapon focus. It's also a nice alternative to shield proficiency for artful dodgers if you want that extra AC/reflex.
House Rule: Two Weapon Fighting + Two Weapon Defense + Warrior Of The Wild = "Two Weapon Fighting Style" for the purposes of multiclassing Ranger powers.

Agreed that it kinda sucks as is right now, but picking up some Ranger might help.

Different Idea: since Two Weapon Defense adds a +1 SHIELD bonus to AC, count the off-hand weapon as a shield for the purposes of taking Fighter exploits, if you're a fighter.

If you're a fighter and don't want to waste your multiclassing feat in Ranger, take the Ranger class, call him a fighter, and take whichever multiclassing feat (such as Arcane Initiate or Initiate Of The Faith) you prefer to dabble in.
The sycophants and EULA quoters aren't worth our time. 4E =/= Essentials; Essentials =/= 4E. To WotC/DDI: GO "SOON" YOURSELVES. Internet Rule #41. Needs moar Desu. No exceptions.
House Rule: Two Weapon Fighting + Two Weapon Defense + Warrior Of The Wild = "Two Weapon Fighting Style" for the purposes of multiclassing Ranger powers.

Agreed that it kinda sucks as is right now, but picking up some Ranger might help.

Different Idea: since Two Weapon Defense adds a +1 SHIELD bonus to AC, count the off-hand weapon as a shield for the purposes of taking Fighter exploits, if you're a fighter.

If you're a fighter and don't want to waste your multiclassing feat in Ranger, take the Ranger class, call him a fighter, and take whichever multiclassing feat (such as Arcane Initiate or Initiate Of The Faith) you prefer to dabble in.

hello
I agree I think that two wepond defense should qualify you to use a shield based power.
as well you could swap fighter weapon talent with two weapon fighting and the possibility to chose twin stike as at will level on exploit.
after that there is enough weapon based bonus and multiple strike powers to give two weapon fighting some play flavour.

phil

as well the vast majority of multiple attack powers do not say that you have to use the same weapon on each attack

well some fighter powers have weapon type boon so it may be worth having a scmitar/longsword and a throwing hammer/hand axe or battle axe /short sword.
so you get a wider range of perks from powers. and if you are suing a versatile weapon in your good hand you will keep the +1 even if you throw your light weapon.
Sign In to post comments