Say hello to my first 4th ed character Thisk!

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
Thisk Riverknife

Race: Goblin

Sex
: Female

Height:3'8

Weight:50 lbs

Hair: Black and often tied up in a ponytail or cut short

Eyes:Deep brown

Family information: Thisk grew up as the youngest of a group of 5 siblings (counting herself) amongst the riverknife goblin tribe. 2 of those siblings perished early on in her life, her older sister dying soon after being born and another killed while trying to fend off a rival tribe's raid. This left Thisk to grow up with 2 brothers, Gress 3-fingers and Coruck, the second eldest and the eldest respectively.

Gress was almost always kind to his younger sister, often fetching scraps of food for her and letting her help him look after (and once, in secret, ride) the chieftain's prized wolf whose care was the reason for Gress's moniker and his sole responsibility in the tribe. Coruck, on the other hand ignored his younger sister in favor of ambition, and he soon became one of the tribe's foremost raiders, and also a challenge to the chieftain's power.

Thisk's father Zreth was the second in command to the chieftain, and one of his favorite advisors. Zreth who admired and distrusted Coruck for his ambition and ruthlessness, and who heaped scorn upon Gress for his lack of the same, often didn't know what to make of the gregarious, outgoing Thisk, who reminded him a bit too much of his mate. Despite this, he taught her occasionally about all the things a young goblin needs to stay alive, mostly hiding and stealing.

Her mother was (and still is) in a class all her own. Understandably, most goblin males are far from faithful to their mates, often siring as many children as possible with as many goblin women as possible, but Zreth and Corqua were notable exceptions to this rule. For her part, Corqua gained Zreth's loyalty through a combination of poisoning the 3 other goblins vying for his attentions, saving his life during 2 different raids via well-timed stabs in the back, and by slowly building him up as a powerful force in the riverknife tribe through a number of bribes, "discussions" and other means. Despite this, Thisk had a rather loving relationship with her mother, who (perhaps because of her other daughter's death) doted upon her and often gave her advice, the most prominent of which was this: "With the world being as it is, and you being female and a goblin on top of that, leverage is everything-it's how I got your father, it's how I get my food, it's how I got my position as a raider, and if your lucky it's how you'll change your place in the world."

How she got started adventuring: Thisk's dive into the adventuring lifestyle came quickly. By her 16th year, the chieftain of her tribe was beginning to show signs of age and weakness, so in the middle of the night Zreth slit his throat, and with the help of his supporters claimed the title of chieftain. Zreth's mother was also growing old, and so after claiming leadership of the tribe, he took another, younger mate. Shortly thereafter (and of course, completely unrelated to anything of Corqua's doing), both the new chieftain and his mate were found dead the night after his coronation. Zreth's personal guards report that they saw nothing.

Coruck was soon installed as chieftain, with a grieving Corqua retaining her position of adviser. Coruck's time as chieftain was brief but glorious, with the able warrior leading the sacking of several surrounding human settlements and causing the name of the river knives to be feared throughout the land. However, that too was not to last. During one of many victory feasts, after finishing a long speech and quaffing too much ale, Gress stood up and asked "Dear brother...may I say something?" to which he replied "of course scum bucket" to which his brother, standing straight up said "kill". The glorious reign of chieftain Coruck was thus ended, by the teeth of his very own personal wolf mount.

Thisk didn't understand her brother's motivations, but realized that despite her skill at skulduggery, she as the sister of a murderer of a powerful and popular chieftain was now not in a very good position. As confusion reigned following Coruck's murdrer, she was able to slip away, seeing only Gress as he fled from the erstwhile chieftain's guards and as her mother shook her head and clucked slowly. She doesn't know if either of them is alive.

Since then, Thisk has gone wherever her whims take her, acting as a merchant skilled in getting whatever her numerous (usually unpleasant) clients want or need. Taking her mother's words to heart she's bought and sold almost everything, always on the look out for another opportunity, and her lost mother and brother.

Personality: Thisk has been identified as having an ESTP personality type (Extroverted Sensing Thinking Percieving) and that almost fits her to a tee. Comfortable around most other races, she has mastered the skills of fast-talking and negotiation and is willing to acquire most anything for her clients whom she insists "it's all about". Despite this, Thisk is a lost individual, who's currently searching for meaning in her life in a frenzy of trade and deception. Rarely does she reveal this, often seeming to possess an answer and a plan for almost every occasion (that's most often thrown together at the last moment).

She's somewhat caring, but like most creatures to grow up in difficult circumstances has a hard time going beyond the superficial "you look like you could use..." of her business and actually showing it. She can most certainly be trusted with her word, but she has no scruples about stealing anything that doesn't belong to a trusted client or a friend, and doesn't object to the murder of enemies. However, for any adventuring party that can get around those eccentricities and accept her (or show her some hope of finding her remaining family), she'll literally go through hell and back.

I hope that proves to some doubters about the viability of a 3-dimensional character not just about "kewl powerz" in 4th edition. What do you guys/girls think? Questions, comments?
This if 4th edition, why are you trying to role play? Just get in a dungeon and grind like the rest of us.

*sigh*

The concept is cool, but almost too descriptive. It could throw off a DM if you didn't introduce the concept to him/her early.
what class rogue? Seems like a cool background information.
Now I feel compelled to add my first 4e character to the list.

Name: Tia also known as dark fire

Race: Tiefling

Height:5"7"

skin color: dark brown

Eyes: Purple

Class: infernal pact warlock

Middle of three children she was born in the slumms of a city on the edge of civilization. Her parents both worked for the local thieves guild as did her older brother. Despite this she had a mostly happy childhood. Her parents took care of all their children to the best of their abilities. At age 14 she was already beginning to learn how to con people out of money, or slip into homes unnoticed. All this changed in a night. The leader of the thieves guild was arrested and exacuted by the city guard for a crime he was actually innocent of. His luitenant (who was guilty of the crime) pointed out that only a member of the guild could have told them where the leader of the guild slept. He pointed the finger at Tias family. The new leader had her father summarily exacuted, and her mother was forced into his harem. Her brother was killed resisting and her youngest sibling was taken by the new leader as well. She managed to escape from her house due to a combination of luck, and a distraction caused by her mother. She ran as fast as she could. She hid in the basement of a merchants house hiding from everyone, affraid of people comeing after her, and at the same time wanting vengance. Wether a pathway had been built into the stones of the building, or something in her blood something called to her and as a if coming from another world so it is vengance you seek young one? If so I can give it to you for a price? "Whats the price?" A favor I will give you your vengance, and power if you agree to achieve one thing for me. With that her pact was made. Within a matter of minutes the entire thieves guild was on fire. She managed to rescue her mother and sibling. Knowing that she could not live there anymore she left on the road seeking whatever life had to offer her on the road.

Personality: quick temper and somewhat closed off. Is very confused and unfocused on what to do now. Is afraid to trust people but knows that she has to in order to survive. Is also occasionaly afraid of the powers she wields and the favor she may have to repay. Has a soft spot for children and underpriviledged people. When she has money always donates some to those in need.
Thank you, both of you for your questions and comments. Yeah, I was thinking the rogue class, because it fits her background as a merchant used to acquiring virtually anything and really captures her very "goblinoid" tactics (i.e dirty fighting and hit-and run).

To boulder-shoulders, I just wanted to show to others that role-playing is not dead with the release of fourth edition, and that barring this being on the 4th edition forums, this character could very well of come from 2nd, 3rd, or 3.5. It deeply annoys me that people are decrying 4th edition as one for power gamers and twinks when it, unlike previous editions has codified (and sophisticated) rules for non-combat situations (skill challenges and social encounter rules).

The group's DM-to-be is comfortable with elaborate back stories, and even then I'll make sure to deliver it to him slowly. I'm thinking of posting this on the astrid's parlor forums as well, to see what they think of my shot at a female PC. Any suggestions as to how I could make the back story better, or things to add on?

P.S Interesting backstory will, I just might have to use Tia as an NPC when I DM 4th. (with your okay of course)
To boulder-shoulders, I just wanted to show to others that role-playing is not dead with the release of fourth edition, and that barring this being on the 4th edition forums, this character could very well of come from 2nd, 3rd, or 3.5. It deeply annoys me that people are decrying 4th edition as one for power gamers and twinks when it, unlike previous editions has codified (and sophisticated) rules for non-combat situations (skill challenges and social encounter rules).

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Guess what...
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck. Guess what...

It's a wereduck!
To realmswalker: well I feel like I've definitively proved, that 4e does not in fact quack like a duck. This character, who in my opinion is far from 1 dimensional was designed for 4th edition and fits wonderfully within the rules. I came up with the basic gist of the back story in 15 minutes and finished it after a day-it didn't require any crazy maneuvering to develop a detailed back story for a 4th edition character, at least not any more so than any previous edition.

Sorry for that little spiel....in any case any other questions or comments? I'll be posting the adventures of Thisk as soon as the campaign starts (which should be this monday).

P.S Brilliant reply Kari, after all no one expects the fearsome and cunning wereduck.
The description you presented could apply to any edition cause you didn't give any examples of powers or feats. So your example doesn't really "prove" that role playing works in 4th edition. Don't get me wrong, I really liked your character description though.
The DM has read the backstory, and approves. John, Rogue wuld be ideal for this character but any class could work. Maybe i'll change my campaign idea to focus on goblinoids as protagonists.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Umm....what exactly is stopping anyone from roleplaying in 4e or any game? Social encounter rules? ive used those for nearly a decade now, and it hasn't ever stopped roleplaying. Narrowly defined classes? Thats a good thing, as now its easier to make characters that can share the spotlight instead of having an uber-class rule the party after level 9 and gives everyone a chance to be important.

So explain to me where the lost RP opportunities are? And if you say 'there don't need to be rules' i'll ignore you because that means you expect everyone to be an expert actor, which is elitist and unrealistic in the extreme.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

Cool ideas I like the characters

And just a comment for the roleplayer haters of 4ed... Yes, fourth edition is more geared towards tactical wargaming, but that does not make it less of a rpg. It is the people playing it that make it less of a rpg when they choose not to roleplay. ;)

Just my thoughts
Cool ideas I like the characters

And just a comment for the roleplayer haters of 4ed... Yes, fourth edition is more geared towards tactical wargaming, but that does not make it less of a rpg. It is the people playing it that make it less of a rpg when they choose not to roleplay. ;)

Just my thoughts

I agree 100%. Since when do game mechanics have anything to do with role-playing?

I like that 4th Ed combat is simple. I like that all party members are powerful now. I come from an optimization background, and I liked the builds in 3.5, but I like 4E better because my group mostly don't share my interest in mechanics.

As for 4E, you can still optimize your character, but given how class abilities interact you would be better off optimizing your PARTY.

I wonder how long it will take for people to figure that one out... 3.5 is like Justice League and the CO player is Superman (i.e. he doesn't need the other players). 4E is like the X-Men. Cyclops may be the strongest but he still needs to work with Wolverine to get to the bad guys from time to time...
Thank you everyone, for your support and your comments. Together we can definitively prove that role-playing is in no way discouraged by 4th edition! To savesvsdeath-thank you for your acceptance of the character, and I'm sure whatever idea you have for the campaign would be great-she's certainly able to cooperate with various different races, although an all goblinoid or monstrous humanoid campaign would definitely be cool.
I too am looking forward to playing a goblin. But I don't know how to create or draft up a character sheet for the race. So, johnthedm7000, I have to ask, where did you get the info for your character?
As far as the backstory went, I simply made it up as I went along, always thinking about how my character would respond to the circumstances I was putting her through. I also did a Meyers-Briggs personality test from her perspective to get a better grasp of how her mind works.

As for the mechanical stuff, the goblin is detailed in the back of the monster manual as a PC playable race. Just write goblin on a 4th edition character sheet in the race area, apply the stat and skill mods, and write down the racial power and you're ready to go.
Sign In to post comments