Barbarian Needed

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was flipping through the PhB and I noticed that Wizards left out the barbarian, the coolest class in there. My friend wants to play a barbarian, and I really want to let her, but I can't just say "be a fighter and roleplay the rage." Any suggestions? Rules for raging would be most appreciated.
What will you do when/if an official Barbarian class is released?

Personally, I never really thought it made any sense for there to be rules for a special kind of rage.
Well, in the next couple months they are releasing a Martial source book with a bunch of stuff (feats, weapons, powers, etc) for martial classes (ranger, rogue, fighter, warlord) so maybe barbarian will be in there.

As for actually being a barbarian, it is all about the roleplay now. Ranger may make a better barbarian because of the two weapon style.
I was flipping through the PhB and I noticed that Wizards left out the barbarian, the coolest class in there. My friend wants to play a barbarian, and I really want to let her, but I can't just say "be a fighter and roleplay the rage." Any suggestions? Rules for raging would be most appreciated.

Why not? Just pick feats that lend more towards a barbaric fighter, and roleplay the rage.

Or did you really just want a way to be able to munchkin the stat increases?

Tell your friend to play a Dragonborn Fighter or Paladin, and take the Dragonborn Frenzy feat. When you're friend gets bloodied, she'll gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls for the rest of the encounter, thats the same effect as raging in terms of damage bonus.
Tell your friend to play a Dragonborn Fighter or Paladin, and take the Dragonborn Frenzy feat. When you're friend gets bloodied, she'll gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls for the rest of the encounter, thats the same effect as raging in terms of damage bonus.

Or stop being lazy and spend a weekend and create your own barbarian class. Figuring out everything but the powers will take u like 10 minutes. The rest of your time would just be spent figuring out the powers. Just figure it out up to level 5 or so and then just add the few new powers as you level. Do that or add a special power just for her for fighers that looks something like
Rage Fighter Utility 1
Daily(Special) * Martial, Weapon
Minor Action Personal
Effect: You gain +4 bonus to strength and constitution and +2 Will bonus to defense and -2 AC until end of encounter or unconciousness.
Special: At level 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 you can use rage one additional time per day. At level 11 bonuses increase to +6 str, +6 con, +3 will, -4 AC and at 21 become +8 str, +8 con, +4 will, -6AC.

Or something along those lines. I'm sure you can figure it out as this only took me 5 minutes of thought.
or just use the feat dragon born fenzy.
call it battle frenzy

and take it as your first level feat.
using a ranger or fighter as the base class.

or use the ranger as a base.
drop the archery path. replce it with large weapon (and as two weapon give toughness)

Replacing hunter quary with either battle frenzy, what edgar131 propose or something like that.
you could make it and encounter power or use something along the line
+4 to strengh check, +2 reflex -2 to perception check (tunnel wision) and you can not use any skill that requires inteligence.
you gain +1 d6 + strengh damage (2d6 at lvl11 and 3d6 at level 21) to one attack on your turn and to any intterupt or AoO you gain.
The benefits last for constitution bonus round. the round your rage finishes you are weakned and dazed until the end of your next round.

replace fist shot with the rogue first stike.

that should fill the gap
Effect: You gain +4 bonus to strength and constitution and +2 Will bonus to defense and -2 AC until end of encounter or unconciousness.
[...]
Or something along those lines. I'm sure you can figure it out as this only took me 5 minutes of thought.

It shows. It is completely outside of 4e's design space to create powers that modify attributes temporarily and create cascading math changes. A better version would add +2 to attack & damage rolls, +2 Fort & Will, -2 AC and would largely capture the same feel. It's already got a few too many bonuses to track for a 4e feel, but you could also toss in a bonus to Break or Burst checks.

Frankly, you don't need a whole new class. The only things that a 3e Barbarian had that a 4e Fighter doesn't is rage, fast movement & uncanny dodge, and an HP/armor proficiency trade off.

Trade heavy armor proficiencies for +1 move & rage. Give Toughness as a free feat. Specialize in Con-based weapons like the axe or hammer. You're done.
It shows. It is completely outside of 4e's design space to create powers that modify attributes temporarily and create cascading math changes. A better version would add +2 to attack & damage rolls, +2 Fort & Will, -2 AC and would largely capture the same feel. It's already got a few too many bonuses to track for a 4e feel, but you could also toss in a bonus to Break or Burst checks.

Frankly, you don't need a whole new class. The only things that a 3e Barbarian had that a 4e Fighter doesn't is rage, fast movement & uncanny dodge, and an HP/armor proficiency trade off.

Trade heavy armor proficiencies for +1 move & rage. Give Toughness as a free feat. Specialize in Con-based weapons like the axe or hammer. You're done.

that looks cool as well, (i think toughness should come at a cost, may be limiting fighter weapon bonus to aces or heavyblade.) as well usingthe fighter as a base limits the skills so may be the ranger is an option as well.

That being said since regerdless if there will be abarbarian class in PHB2 and combat splat, it is a tailored class so it might as well do what the player would like it to do.

That sounds perfect.

What the character "is", is just 9/10ths cosmetic appearance anyways.

You can always build some extra feats too.
Oddly enough, when I was attempting to recreate my favorite character, a half-orc barbarian for whom this account is named, I found I was out on my ear. Although there are some things in here that are close for the time being.

Dragonborn is a good start because of:
Dragonborn Fury: When you’re bloodied, you gain a +1 racial bonus to attack rolls.

As mentioned there is the:
Dragonborn Frenzy [Dragonborn]
Prerequisite: Dragonborn
Benefit: While you are bloodied, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls.

If you need to build a Barbarian from scratch the main power of the Berserker Weapon:
Power (Daily): Minor Action. Gain a +2 power bonus to attack rolls and damage rolls with this weapon and take a –5 penalty to all defenses. You also gain resist 5 to all damage. The effects last until the end of the encounter or until you fall unconscious.
Level 20 or 25: Resist 10 to all damage.
Level 30: Resist 15 to all damage.

With all that in mind, I think fighter does play really well with the whole concept of barbarian. So if need be, take fighter and "multiclass into barbarian". That way you only have to use a few select abilities that you would need to make powers for. One power for however many feats she takes and the initial multiclass feat.
I'm working on a full 4th edition barbarian class right now, but it still needs fleshing out. So far I'm worked this out for a Rage ability, which I think works well with the new rules, gained as a class feature encounter power.

Barbarian Rage
You feel your muscles bulge and your blood hasten through your veins. With a primal roar you unleash your fury upon your foes, disregarding all but your opponents.
Encounter* Martial
Minor Action Personal

Effect: Until the end of the encounter you gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls but suffer -2 penalty to AC. You also gain a +2 bonus to Will but suffer a -1 penalty to Reflex. If you are bloodied or become bloodied while this power is active your bonuses to attack and damage increase to +3 and your bonus to Will increases to +3. At the end of the encounter you suffer -2 penalty to all attacks and defenses until you take a short rest.
Increase bonuses to attack, damage and Will to +3 (+4 when bloodied) at level 21.

Special: While this power is active you cannot use healing surges though you can still benefit from healing from other sources (such as a cleric prayer). You cannot use skills that require concentration or focus such as Nature, Dungeoneering, Stealth, ect. You may use any Barbarian power or a power you gain through your paragon path that you have available to you but if you gain a power from another class (through multi-classing or the half-elf racial trait Dilettante) you cannot use that power if it requires concentration or focus (ask your DM if a power is usable or not).
There's an article on the website that talks 'bout this.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)