Halfling boldness useless?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
(If this is the wrong forum, my apologies.)

So, I am just now noticing that Halfling's "Bold" racial ability is nearly useless.
Not because there is a shortage of fear powers, but I can only find TWO that allow a saving throw. As for all the rest, it seems that the halfling is as vulnerable to fear as anyone else.
Am I missing something, or was this an oversight on WotC's part?
Well, in "PvP" situations, sure. But there are monsters with powers with the Fear keyword that have saves. Off the top of my head, Dragon's frightful presence stuns the first round and then has -2 to hit (save ends) afterward. A halfling will take that -2 to hit for one round and then will save 80% of the time.
Poe's Law is alive and well. Emerikol is right*
Well, in "PvP" situations, sure. But there are monsters with powers with the Fear keyword that have saves. Off the top of my head, Dragon's frightful presence stuns the first round and then has -2 to hit (save ends) afterward. A halfling will take that -2 to hit for one round and then will save 80% of the time.

Yeah, I just realized this. Still, looking through the monster manual, I can only find 6 different fear abilities (counting dragon's frightful presence as one) that allow a saving throw.
Sounds about right, considering that's only one of many Monster Manuals and we have no doubt that there will be more PC powers in the future the Fear keyword and a save involved.

It's no +5 vs. poisons though, that's for sure, but I wouldn't call it useless.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.