Eberron Accents

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've been wondering if anyone every released information on what certain accents sound like in Eberron and if not, what do you think they sound like?
Everyone in Sharn sounds like they're from Pittsburgh. Donnie Iris is the mayor, and sandwiches are served with the slaw and fries in them.

At least that's how it works in my mind.

As for the rest of Eberron, I can't say.
I'd have lower class people in Sharn talk like the lower class people in Planescape. Similar slang at least.
Double Post; sorry!
Here's how I've usually done it:

- Aundair: Mixture of English (RP) and Welsh.
- Breland: Mixture of English (RP, cockney, northern, cornish), Scottish, and Irish.
- Cyre: Boston
- Eldeen Reaches: Welsh
- Thrane: A weird conglomeration of French, Spanish, Italian, and South African (don't ask).
- Karrnath: Ukrainian
- Mror Holds: The thickest Russian I can manage.
- Talenta: Romanian
- Valenar: Arabic
- Xen'drik: The Sulatar tribe the group's been hanging out with sounded a bit Spanish, but I haven't been consistent with them.
- Zilargo: Italian (yes, I know all their place-names are German, but their architecture and manners are more Venetian, so I've been defaulting to that).

Haven't given much thought to other regions, as we haven't been there yet.
Everybody sounds british in my worlds. Well, that's not fair. Everyone sounds like my horrible british accent in my worlds.

Thing is, I don't want them to, I just fall into it. And when I say this accent sucks, it's terrible. Especially when it mixes with my chicAWgo accent.

Evenin', mate! Fancy a sAWsage?

fo diggity Twitter: www.twitter.com/fodigg Comic Books You Should Have Read: http://tinyurl.com/ycxe9l7
Q'bara(?) could be cajun or a generic latin american
I see Sharn having a lot of accents, the general population that grew up there would most likely have a New York Accent & Cockney, as Sharn seems to be more like New York City & London in a way. The upper class would have Bostonian & Queen's English Accents, as I see them as the wealthiest of the wealthiest, and both accents seem to have the "I am better than thou" attitude.

Outside of Sharn in rest of Breland, the general New Englander Accent would be most suitable imho. Cyre, for some reason I imagined Cyre to have more of a French Accent, which is why they were wiped off the map.

The rest, I don't know, I can however see all Halflings talking with a "Gangsta Accent", Karranathi accents would seem more Eastern European to me.
Outside of Sharn in rest of Breland, the general New Englander Accent would be most suitable imho. Cyre, for some reason I imagined Cyre to have more of a French Accent, which is why they were wiped off the map.

It was a joke. Only reason I thought of the French Accent, because it just seems that if one accent had to go in the biggest flashiest exit ever the French Accent would be the one; and The Mourning would be hell of a way to go out with a bang.
My group usually doesn't go to heavy into accents as it tends to bring unintended stereotypes along with it... but we have fallen into the pit of using Russian accents for Karrnath and French accents for Aundair.

The Aundair accent can be firmly blamed on my buddy who created a Warforged archer named Point Blank, that he pronounced 'pointe blanc'. Fought for Aundair during the war co-opted his commanding officer's personality quirks... for instance he likes fine wine... just to have it, he can't drink it, but in social settings he always walks around with a glass of it...

And yes he'd often exclaim Sacrebleu! Usually we don't allow such rediculous characters but he played it straight, fairly seriously he was dedicated to these quirks, which made him a memorable character.
Aesop had it right 2,500 years ago, "By endeavoring to please everyone, he had pleased no one, and lost his ass in the bargain".
Not being very good with accents, I find that every NPC in any game world says Y'all and tend to come from the South. Makes it hard not to laugh sometimes when dealing with the dwarf from a far northern stronghold.

d

Shadow Network DM

Sign In to post comments