The Alchemist Wizard

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Since 4th edition just came out, a couple of my friends that I DM for want to try it out. I have all the core books pre-ordered, but my friends and I decided to skim through the books at Barnes and Noble. One of my friends came to very interesting discovery, Alchemy isn't a skill.

Now my friends favorite role to play is the wizard who brews his own stuff and in battle is just as likely to throw a vile of Alchemist's Fire as he is to cast Magic Missile (In 3rd edition). Very unoptimized I know, but its his character, and I'm going to help him make it. Now due to the fact that we didn't have too much time at Barnes, we couldn't throughly investigate the PH or DMG for any chance of Alchemy, and that I can't seem to find the 4e SRD, I couldn't find anyway to give him alchemical abilities.

So the question of the post is: Is there anyway for my friend to have a Alchemist Wizard?

I apologize for asking without the books, I just want to be able to start a 4e campaign asap, and as such am trying to get my player's character outlined so that I can get him set up relatively quickly when I do get the books.
To the best of my knowledge, crafting (as per the skill) is gone from 4e. Clearly this is something that needs to be houseruled if you, like many others enjoy the down-time pursuits. If I'm wrong, I'm happy to be corrected, but I haven't seen any reference to crafting of any sort yet.
Ritual.

Brew Potion.

Not sure if it can be used for mundane "alchemicals" but I'd allow it.

Cost equals list cost of potion/alchemical.

Badda bing badda boom.

Note: pg 301 phb
Ritual.

Brew Potion.

Not sure if it can be used for mundane "alchemicals" but I'd allow it.

Cost equals list cost of potion/alchemical.

Badda bing badda boom.

Note: pg 301 phb

I agree, but creation cost must be lower than market price... no one sells stuff at the same price he obtained it, otherwise where's the gain?
Maybe pull in some exp cost to cover the lesser monetary cost...
He could describe one of his at-wills (or all of his attack powers, and a good bit of utility) as being potion/alchemy based.

It seems more a matter of flavor really.

Also, I don't see why you couldn't use the Arcana skill for explosives (chemistry) or the Heal skill for drugs or poisons (biochemistry).
In one of the Treasure books coming out (Adventurer's Vault?) there are rules for Alchemic rituals.
Since 4th edition just came out, a couple of my friends that I DM for want to try it out. I have all the core books pre-ordered, but my friends and I decided to skim through the books at Barnes and Noble. One of my friends came to very interesting discovery, Alchemy isn't a skill.

Now my friends favorite role to play is the wizard who brews his own stuff and in battle is just as likely to throw a vile of Alchemist's Fire as he is to cast Magic Missile (In 3rd edition). Very unoptimized I know, but its his character, and I'm going to help him make it. Now due to the fact that we didn't have too much time at Barnes, we couldn't throughly investigate the PH or DMG for any chance of Alchemy, and that I can't seem to find the 4e SRD, I couldn't find anyway to give him alchemical abilities.

So the question of the post is: Is there anyway for my friend to have a Alchemist Wizard?

I apologize for asking without the books, I just want to be able to start a 4e campaign asap, and as such am trying to get my player's character outlined so that I can get him set up relatively quickly when I do get the books.

Alchemy is confirmed to be in the upcoming Tome of Treasures (the title may have changed).
Adventurer's Vault is to have alchemy.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
Wow, I didn't even notice craft was gone. I guess so few people used it that wizards wants their $35 from people who do. Apologies if that starts an anti-WoTC rant from someone but that seems to be the case.