Elf-Raised Human

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
These are mostly meant as flavor, I just want to make sure they are balanced. I tried to stay away from anything that granted a power, or was otherwise non-static.

[deck=Raised by Eldarin]
Benefit: You gain Eldarin Will, and additionally qualify as an eldarin for feat prerequisites.
Special: You may only take this feat at first level.
[/deck]
[deck=Raised by Elves]
Benefit: You gain Wild Step, and additionally qualify as an elf for feat prerequisites.
[/deck]
[deck=Raised by Halflings]
Benefit: You gain Bold, and additionally qualify as a halfling for feat prerequisites.
[/deck]
[deck=Raised by Tieflings]
Benefit: You gain Bloodhunt, and additionally qualify as a tiefling for feat prerequisites.
[/deck]
Sounds like an easy way for a DM to bring some fun into a boring campaign by allowing a player to choose one of these.
Mind if I use these for exactly that reason by the way? Our cleric usually ends up human, despite the fact that she loves elves. Also, one of my players is gettin' sick of halflings, but she loves RPing them personality-wise.
As for too weak, too powerful...it depends on the campaign. Some well chosen monsters or taps could probably counter any problems with it, I think.
So... humans can take feats that let them do stuff that only other races usually do?

Can my dragonborn take a "raised by humans" feat that gives him a +1 to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses and let's him pick up human feats? I'd sure love the +1 to saves.

I suggest that if those "feats" are used at all, that they replace some of the normal human racial characteristics... and more than just the bonus feat, i mean trade in the bonus at-will power or the defense bonus... something actually worth being able to use a minor racial feature and feats specific to one other race.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

Sure you can use the feats, glad you like them. I am a bit unsure about letting characters take the feats for free though - my character Raynor spent his human bonus feat on Raised by Elves.
this reminds me of something someone once said "house rules are just a way to make sure you always come out on top."

I think you should just make up your mind, are you human, or not? no need to make up a feat that says "I'm human, and I get all those bonuses, but I spent my bonus feat to get a nifty ability that lets me take another races racial feats... and they threw in this bonus ability for free!"

Didn't know people wanted to take multi-classing a step further and make it mutli-racing.

ATTENTION:  If while reading my post you find yourself thinking "Either this guy is being sarcastic, or he is an idiot," do please assume that I am an idiot. It makes reading your replies more entertaining. If, however, you find yourself hoping that I am not being even remotely serious then you are very likely correct as I find irreverence and being ridiculous to be relaxing.

So... humans can take feats that let them do stuff that only other races usually do?

Can my dragonborn take a "raised by humans" feat that gives him a +1 to Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses and let's him pick up human feats? I'd sure love the +1 to saves.

I suggest that if those "feats" are used at all, that they replace some of the normal human racial characteristics... and more than just the bonus feat, i mean trade in the bonus at-will power or the defense bonus... something actually worth being able to use a minor racial feature and feats specific to one other race.

To prevent cherry picking I tried to select abilities that aren't physical qualities but either skills that can be picked up as part of the mentality taught by living like another race. In addition, 'background' feats only make sense to me as a racial bonus feat - something you got before taking up your class. If a different race provided a bonus feat they should also have access to a set of 'background' feats that makes sense for that race - maybe not a 'raised by' series but something like an 'revenge' series or whatever.

If you want to take racial feats that aren't human, you still have to meet all the prerequisites, so a human couldn't take Elven Precision, Enlarged Dragon Breath or Halfling Agility. In addition, things like Lost in the Crowd wouldn't be as useful as a true halfling. To be honest, I only looked at heroic tier feats, so maybe there are some crazy feats that would provide a small opportunity for min-maxing, but I am not worried about that in my group.
this reminds me of something someone once said "house rules are just a way to make sure you always come out on top."

I think you should just make up your mind, are you human, or not? no need to make up a feat that says "I'm human, and I get all those bonuses, but I spent my bonus feat to get a nifty ability that lets me take another races racial feats... and they threw in this bonus ability for free!"

Didn't know people wanted to take multi-classing a step further and make it mutli-racing.

Just providing the abilities listed above seemed too weak compared to other feats that could be taken first level, and providing two abilities seemed too powerful and usually didn't make sense. Hence adding the ability to take racial feats if you qualified for all other prerequisites and thought it was your best option.

Take Raised by Elves for example. The only two feats Raynor could take, is light step at the heroic tier, and running shot at the paragon tier. Light step is ok if you happen to be running away from someone across the land, but how many times can a dm really do that before people get bored? Running shot is good if you want to be a human ranger, but an elf ranger is much better with the powers and makes more sense.

I really don't see the overpowering or min/maxing mechanics, maybe I just don't look hard enough.
They're good as they are. ^-^ However, don't require humanity for the feats, I could imagine a Halfling Raised by Eladrin.
Removed human prerequisite, clarified requirements.

At first sight I couldn't agree more, then again I may be jaded but the new rules seem so good to me so far that I'm not sure I could see anyone wanting to change them, but for role playing purposes I would have to come up with a mechanic for something like this. Then again NO, I wouldn't come up with something mechanical for this role playing idea, I would just say that you're personality is a little different. You might take that +2 ability bonus to cha sense you were raised by Dragonborn, or possibly to Str. So as to better reflect you're dragonborn upbringing.

Same with all the other human raised by x race ideas. If you were raised by elves you'd be either more dexterous or wise, you'd probably spend that extra feat on gaining a Skill Training in a skill that elves get a bonus to for a class that might not have it at all, or if it does you take Skill Focus with one of those skills.