Drow Paladin

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Celes was born in the realm of Arvandor to a planes-walking drow assassin who had converted to the worship of Eilistraee. Although she was fathered by a Planetar in Eilistraee's service, she never displayed any sign of her celestial heritage. Nevertheless, she was deeply loved. Her earliest memories are a blur of paradise, of games played in Arvandor with her childhood friend, Argentydaeros - a silver dragon hatchling native to Arvandor - of being held by her mother, of the distant figure of her father, shining brightly. She was always a curious child, always getting into trouble because of it.

Once, she snuck into the Court of the Stars, where Morwen and the Celestial Eladrin dwell, and the sight of the Queen of the Stars with her beauty unveiled nearly killed her. Would have killed her, if Argentydaeros hadn't found her then and there and taken her back to her parents.

All in all, misadventures aside, life was fairly idyllic in the elven paradise. Until the day that her parents were tasked with rescuing a party of Drow leaving the Underdark under the guidance of a Sword Dancer who had gone astray after a series of brutal attacks. When the portal was opened to the Prime, Celes, ever curious, snuck through after her parents.

That was when it all went wrong. A powerful Matron mother had forseen such intervention, and indeed, had counted on it. Celes watched in horror, hidden in the bushes, as her mother and father and the whole group of goodly drow were cut down before her eyes by the main drow force that attacked them: they had summoned a Balor, and against such a force, not even her father could prevail. The Matron Mother took both of her parents captive, alive, into the Underdark, with the Balor following close behind.

When the attackers had finally left, Celes crawled out of hiding and wept bitterly. Then, faintly she heard a moan. The Sword Dancer was still alive, though mortally wounded. Alone, terrified, and lost in an unfamiliar land, Celes nevertheless manifested the powers of her celestial heritage for the first time, healing magic flowing around her for a moment... and then fainted.

When she awoke, she found that the Sword Dancer's wounds were not as severe as she had thought. The Sword Dancer, Melian, knew that this girl was something special, and watching her weep, her heart was moved to pity. She took young Celes in, and in time, the girl mostly forgot her parents and the horror she had seen.

Celes spent the remainder of her youth living with Melian and a few other Sword Dancers. They trained her well in the ways of battle, of the sword dance, and of Eilistraee, and wisely: her powers had awoken, and guided by her subconscious desires, manifested themselves as the powers of a Paladin.

Life went on. It always does. Friends were made, friends were lost, summer became winter, winter became summer, until at last her training was complete. On that day, Melian gave Celes what she had kept hidden for all the years since she had cared for her: the bastardsword of Celes' father. It was stripped of all enchantment, but nevertheless, when she picked it up, Celes knew that it was hers.

Now she goes her own way, serving her Dark Maiden as best she can, seeking to right wrongs wherever she finds them. But she has many unanswered questions, and ultimately, the only place where she is ever likely to find answers... is in the Underdark, amongst the Drow.
Interesting backstory. Since Celes doesn't show any of the heritage bestowed by her planetar father, could it be that she is full drow but her mother never said anything about it, allowing Celes to assume the planetar was her natural father? Could be an interesting plot-twist sometime down the road.
Interesting backstory. Since Celes doesn't show any of the heritage bestowed by her planetar father, could it be that she is full drow but her mother never said anything about it, allowing Celes to assume the planetar was her natural father? Could be an interesting plot-twist sometime down the road.

Entirely possible. Trying to leave as much open for the DM to fiddle with as possible, what for the plot hooks and such.
a drow paladin......thats just dumb. think about the historical context of a paladin. now a drow chevalier or a drow fighter....that works!!!
a drow paladin......thats just dumb. think about the historical context of a paladin. now a drow chevalier or a drow fighter....that works!!!

Hahahahahahahahahaha

The "historical" context? How many Drow have you encountered in our history? Ooo ... better question. How many Drow have you encountered in the history of 4th Edition D&D? Not too many, I'd wager.

Since 4e isn't putting as much stock in Alignments as previous editions, we can have Paladins for gods of any alignment, really. So, this is entirely plausible. And I have no idea what a "chevalier" is.
Paladin works just as well for a servant of Eilistraee as any other class, and the essence of the character concept is that she is *not* a participant in traditional Drow society. She is specifically approaching it from the ultimate outsider's perspective even as she remains Drow.

Born in Arvandor, raised by the clergy of Eilistraee (Sword Dancers) on the surface of Faerun, with celestial power quite possibly in her blood, a Paladin seems an appropriate choice (though she's actually a Paladin/Ranger multiclass, mostly because I want the additional mobility that Ranger abilities bring so as to simulate the sword dance).
Again, that means EVIL paladins also possibly,...

Drow paladin of Lolth. That could be... interesting.
The real downside is Drow reputation. People will see drow first & paladin second. They'll wonder whats she's up too & may not even believe she's a paladin til she proves it. It might be a rough life for her.
The real downside is Drow reputation. People will see drow first & paladin second. They'll wonder whats she's up too & may not even believe she's a paladin til she proves it. It might be a rough life for her.

It was easier in 3rd edition, back when she had the half-celestial template. Still, yeah. Hers is not an easy path, especially considering the type of person she is: the ideals that she takes for granted are not held in common by most people, and her willingness to forgive and show compassion to her enemies is a thing which is definitely going to get taken advantage of. She will have to fight very hard if she doesn't want to become very jaded very quickly. It would be very easy for her to let her hard be hardened given the situation she is likely to face.

The route I want her to take is to go from being a frightened, confused child with more potential than sense to being an undying protector of the good: graceful, beautiful, and strong, who stands unbowed before even the greatest adversity as a beacon of hope to the hopeless and the helpless. In effect, I want her to grow into a Messiah - an Anointed One. We'll see how it goes, however. The situation may not allow for such a direction for character growth, and even when if she reaches such a transformation, she's still likely to be seen as Drow first..

Actually I would see the drow and paladin thing at the same time, draw a conclusion (she's a pally of Lolth), and run/soil myself.
Resident Piggles Zombie piggy is eatin' your sigs om nom nom (>*o*)>
MTG Card
Front: PigKnight, One Line Poster (3W) Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Vigilance When this creature dies, return him to play and transform him. (2/3) >(5/3)< Back: (Black)ZombiePiggles, Eater of Tomato Sauce Legendary Creature - Boar Knight Zombie Trample, Intimidate B: Regenerate this creature. When this creature is the target of a white spell, transform this creature. (5/3)

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/15.jpg)

Actually I would see the drow and paladin thing at the same time, draw a conclusion (she's a pally of Lolth), and run/soil myself.

After that, I'd fall on my own sword!
The sycophants and EULA quoters aren't worth our time. 4E =/= Essentials; Essentials =/= 4E. To WotC/DDI: GO "SOON" YOURSELVES. Internet Rule #41. Needs moar Desu. No exceptions.
Fun idea. I love the creativity the game inspires. =D

You have a lucky DM.

ALthough I can envision a point in the not so distant future where the high priests decide that you are there best hope for a holy war of conversion against the drow. I mean you don't worship Lolth and your a drow so "its possible". Certainly there must be other reasonable drow down below just busting at their chains to become Americans...I mean followers of the light.

..and how could you resist as a dedicated follower of the true faith to not carry the banner of this righteous crusade down into the heart of the underdark to spread the warm fuzzy message of your god at the point of your lance.

And of course there's the whole bonus for your priests that this gets rid of you as a potential embarassement or political problem for them in their safe and secure world of the surface.
Fun idea. I love the creativity the game inspires. =D

You have a lucky DM.

ALthough I can envision a point in the not so distant future where the high priests decide that you are there best hope for a holy war of conversion against the drow. I mean you don't worship Lolth and your a drow so "its possible". Certainly there must be other reasonable drow down below just busting at their chains to become Americans...I mean followers of the light.

..and how could you resist as a dedicated follower of the true faith to not carry the banner of this righteous crusade down into the heart of the underdark to spread the warm fuzzy message of your god at the point of your lance.

And of course there's the whole bonus for your priests that this gets rid of you as a potential embarassement or political problem for them in their safe and secure world of the surface.

Except you missed the part where she was raised by Sword Dancers. Sword Dancers are specifically servants of Eilistraee. You know, the goddess of good-aligned Drow? They are also drow themselves. This character is a part of the good-aligned surface Drow community, NOT a human community in which she happens to be tolerated.

Her society is still Matriarchal, with all the cultural baggage that comes with it in a surface world that is primarily a Patriarchy. She's still nocturnal (sunlight burns her eyes for the purposes of roleplaying, even if it no longer does so in game), and so on.
Sign In to post comments