Elf Ranger or Elf Rogue?

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
So i'm going to the Worldwide game day, and I was wondering what character to play. Even though I won't be making one until I get there, I thought i'd think up all the basic at stuff. I'm all for the new Elf fluff, they've really fixed them. I want to be a renegade, happy-go-lucky Elf rogue with a bad "borrowing" habit, but I have also been longing to be a wilderness expert flashing swords warrior elf ranger who means buisness. I don't know which one to be...they both sound like a lot of fun to roleplay and fight it combat with. Of course at first I thought of giving my ranger some multi-class rogue abilities with the new multi-classing system, but then I realized that there is no point in sneak attacking once per encounter. Suggestions?
I'm not sure how it works in 4 E, but your character's quirks need not be 105% covered by class abilities. A ranger - especially a moon elven one (I call them "gypsy elves" anyway) can be a bit of a kleptomaniac or lack understanding of complex ideas such as private property. Likewise, a rogue - especially a multiclass one - can be one tough cookie.

In 3.5, I'd say ranger 6/rogue4/NEnforcer 10 - or a bit less ranger with a few levels of another PrC - gets the job done quite well.
So i'm going to the Worldwide game day, and I was wondering what character to play. Even though I won't be making one until I get there, I thought i'd think up all the basic at stuff. I'm all for the new Elf fluff, they've really fixed them. I want to be a renegade, happy-go-lucky Elf rogue with a bad "borrowing" habit, but I have also been longing to be a wilderness expert flashing swords warrior elf ranger who means buisness. I don't know which one to be...they both sound like a lot of fun to roleplay and fight it combat with. Of course at first I thought of giving my ranger some multi-class rogue abilities with the new multi-classing system, but then I realized that there is no point in sneak attacking once per encounter. Suggestions?

I think WWGD is going to have Pregenerated characters, though I don't know for sure.

When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray 

I'm honestly not sure I'd agree that "There is no point in Sneak Attacking once per encounter." Doing +2d6 1/encounter at first level doesn't suck in my book. . . but that's a discussion for another thread.

If you really want unlimited Sneak Attack, Is there some reason why you're opposed to multiclassing the other way? That is, Rogue with Initiate of the Wild Multiclass? Hunter's Quarry 1/encounter looks pretty decent, and you can use the Ranger Skill training to make your PC more nature-savvy.
Sign In to post comments