Ability Scores

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
(3.5) Hi all. Little confused about something... The PHB gives the idea that your ability scores are supposed to be something like 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, -8.
I don't see how that would ever work out. Right now i'm playing the Red Hand of Doom Campaign. The players in my group are a Paladin, Cleric, Sorcerer, Rogue/assassin, a hexblade, and a warlock that is 2 levels lower then the rest of him(the sorcerer has leadership).
These are some of their ability scores (just the base this doesn't even include racial bonus)
Paladin-17, 14, 17, 11, 15, 16
Hexblade- 18, 18, 15, 13, 13, 17
Rogue/Assassin-14, 16, 16, 16, 13, 13
Okay now with this in mind and the fact that in the Red Hand of Doom game two of my characters have died. Are the ability scores really supposed to be as low as the PHB hints towards? or are my ability scores right where they should be?
(Below is just more to prove my point of how a character couldn't function with lower abiltity scores.)

Also heres another point-look at the epic level monsters, or even the monsters level 16+(and some even lower then that) like that lvl 7 monster in MM2 or MM3 that has a death ray! The monster saves are super high, with the DCs of spellcasters, how could a Sorcerer, Wizard, or any other caster live with their key ability starting out at 15???

I mean take a Sorcerer with a Charisma of 15(highest score) to level 20. By then he probably has put all his ability increases into his charisma(cha 20).
By that level a Sorcerer probably could afford a Tomb of Influence +5(cha 25) and a Cloak of Charisma +6. This makes his Charisma 31, w/ a mod of +10. So that means the DCs for his spells are between 20 and 29.
Now look at those monsters that are level 16 and higher. Scratch that, level 15-MM3 the Battlebriar. Its Fort save is +22. Now with the death spells a sorcer of 20th lvl would have(which are fort base for the DC). A Sorcerer that started out with a 15 Charisma would have a DC for a lvl 9 spell of about 29.
<<< THis Means that there is only a 30% chance that the spell will kill the thing!>>>

AND: This is a level 9 spell, what about lower level spells you can't have a Sorcerer using the Heighten Spell feat or whatever its called for every spell.
My point it a Sorcerer spells aren't going to be very effective if their charisma is so low.

Now if you take a Sorcerer that started out with a charisma of 18 and was a drow elf, at 20th level they'd have a Charisma of 36( Mod 13). A level 9 spell would have a DC of 32.
Now this would mean a death spell would have a 40% chance of killing the target. AND THIS is a death spell, what about spells that just put negatives on attacks, saves, and skills??? Or spells that just hold creaturse? They have even a lesser chance of being effective on a lvl 15 monster!
(Conclusion)
I mean it seems like a Sorcerer that started out with a charisma of 15 would be better of just helping the party then damaging the enemy. Even a character that started out with a 20 charisma would have trouble at high levels.
Oh yeah, is the 4edition going to fix this? And where can I find out more about changes in the 4e?
I'm sorry, but you've come to the wrong forum. This is the Character Development forum, intended for community members to discuss backstory, motivations, and story hooks in their characters, and to flesh out the "fluffy stuff."

The forum you're looking for is classes and class features in the "Previous Editions" forum group.

In short answer to your question (since you're here), yes, the default array is too low, which is why most campaigns use the 28 point buy instead.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

Sign In to post comments