WotC screwed up the Warlock fluff

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
It's pretty funny really considering the contradicting fluff is on the same page.

At the bottom of the first column on the page, it notes how evil warlocks worship deities like Asmodeus or Vecna. At the bottom of the 2nd column, RIGHT next to it, it says the the infernal warlock's powers were taught from a race of devils that challenged him and he personally eradicated and struck from memory. It then says you dare to study them anyway. My question is how much of an idiot would an infernal warlock have to be to worship Asmodeus and then go study and use something that he views as a threat to his power.
Not stupid. Ambitious.

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
who, squatting upon the ground,
held his heart in his hands, and ate of it.
I said, "is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter," he answered;
"but I like it,
"beacuase it is bitter,
"and because it is my heart."

Exactly. The difference between stupidity and ambition is how deep your hand is in the cookie jar when you get caught.
Above all else, the most dangerous thing that can ever be said during any sort of testing scenario is "It's just the test." Assumption that an issue, no matter how glaring, will be fixed in the final product is the most devastating assumption that any tester can make, and the most disastrous of excuses for any flaw.
Hmm, I would think a being like Asmodeus would be more than happy to oblige a person willing to sell their soul for power. As I see it, that's his MO.
Look at it this way...

The hows of being a warlock were taught by devils who opposed Asmodeus. They no longer exist but their teaching do. Unless being a warlock makes a creature inherently subservient to the goals of those eradicated devils, their existence is not a threat to Asmodeus.

And unless Asmodeus started taking management lessons from Orcus or Demogorgon, he isn't the type to throw away a tool just because he had a beef with the craftsmen. He gets souls AND a powerful tool. How does he lose on the deal?
That, and with Asmodeus being the Magnificent Bastard that he is, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that the tale about the devils trying to stick it to him is false, and the teachings were put out by Big A himself as a Xanatos Gambit to get souls from people who think they are getting one up over on him.
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray
The warlock 4e is better than 3.5 any day in my humble opinion.
First, not all infernal warlocks are evil.

Second, warlocks are into power, not prudence. They look like the type to push the limits as far as they can go, and worshipping Asmodeus while sponging off his rivals sounds very warlock-y. If old Asmo notices, it's probably with much amusement, of the kind derived while watching a blind, drunk person stumbling towards a banana skin.
That, and with Asmodeus being the Magnificent Bastard that he is, it isn't outside the realm of possibility that the tale about the devils trying to stick it to him is false, and the teachings were put out by Big A himself as a Xanatos Gambit to get souls from people who think they are getting one up over on him.

Heh, I like that explanation.
First, not all infernal warlocks are evil.

Right, some of the sweetest warlocks you can find that are most dedicated "good" could be infernal warlocks. After all, what better way to punish an evildoer than to hurl him through Hell. Infernal warlocks don't have to be evil and such would not want to worship ol' Asmodeus at all.
Just because your an Infernal Warlock, doesn't mean your pact is with one of the ones "Old Asmo" struck from the roster, and existence while he was at it. You'd probably have to make your pact with a living fiend. Those tend to be a little more loyal after they saw what happened to the last batch.
A good infernal warlock... sort of reminds me of Constantine.