Warlock, limited?

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
I only did a skim of the warlord material in the PHB, but I guess I need to ask.

Other classes can select any at will, daily, encounter power from the list of 4 they want to use, but it seems the warlock is locked into (at times) only getting one choice due to their pact.

Is this correct, does this not seem a bit limiting?

I'm ok with the pact thing,b ut I guess for me it means I'd expect to see a total of 12 at will options (4 per pect) at first level to select from.

Just an open question on opinions.

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

nope, you can be an Infernal Pact and pick whatever encounter and daily powers you want, same for any other pact. Your first 2 at-wills are forced onto you, but other than that you could chose nothing but fey and star the rest of the way up and be within the rules. You won't get cool extra effects, but you won't be breaking the rules. I THINK by the end you will have access to any of these powers, so if one power end up in practice lame you can switch it out for one from a different pact that isnt lame. Now let's try not to get into the fluff on why my devil is teaching me fey and star stuff :-p
You can also choose to make a human character and get a second pact's at will ability.
You can also choose to make a human character and get a second pact's at will ability.

Really? Sweet!
"If you can't believe in yourself, believe in me who believes in you." and "Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb" Kamina, from Gurren Lagann
Other classes can select any at will, daily, encounter power from the list of 4 they want to use, but it seems the warlock is locked into (at times) only getting one choice due to their pact.

Warlocks can select powers outside of their pacts. This rule was probably put in place because there was not enough room in the PHB for a complete array of pact-specific spells. I'm betting the rule might be adjusted as soon as we see an arcane splatbook with new spells. I actually want to limit my fey pact warlock to fey spells.
OK, this makes sense then. I wouldn't be against limiting a fey pact to fey spells, if there was a variety, but as it stands now, I can see why you can take any.

Thanks for the clarification!

∴ "Virtus junxit, mors non separabit." 

You see, I'm of a different mind, when it comes to limiting warlocks to spells of their pact type. There's a great mythological basis for the fey and devils to be linked (after all, fey tithe a number of souls to hell every year). I think it'd be great to play a fey pact warlock with infernal abilities that bargained to serve a lord of the fey in exchange for his baby sister being returned from the feywild.
I'd just reflavour any non-Fey spells I learn, that one the devs talked about ages ago, sending a victim through hell? You send him through the Feywild instead!
Sign In to post comments