My Blanket Warlock Background

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Helo,

I can not see a demonic / Astral / Fey creature being captured / conned / extorted / bargained with by some 19 year old (Basic starting age some many level 1 characters) Into giving up / bestowing Eldrith power. So I plan on using the following

Characters parent(s) are/were Wizards with little to no power
Good = Seeking method to bolster power
Evil = Greed and Envy of powers of his peers.

Basic deal = You and your children shall have power

After that

1) Character is child conceived from an affair or a tryst when parent was younger (Mother is not the deal maker's current wife)

2) Parent(s) used eldritch power to take power/possessions from peers, Was hunted down and child whisked away (Short character life if child killed with parent)

3) parent(s) helped nurture the growing power within him. (awwwwww)

4) See idea 2 but arcane academy came across notes on ritual/bargain parent(s) made and decided to find child to either redeem (IF found early enough) or kill. (For character to live past level 1 he was redeemed)

Any comments?
Any suggestions on other ideas?
Eh, it seems ok as far as it goes, but the Pact doesn't have to be forced on the 'creature of power'. From my understanding, it can be, but perhaps the 'creature of power' gifted it to you when you were younger or something.

This works especially well for Fey Pact (since most fey are well known for being rather whimsical, and perhaps just gave you power to see what you would do with it similar to the way Ryuk did with Light Yagami in Deathnote) and the Star Pact (Since the motives of creatures from beyond and between the stars are rather unknowable).

In fact, in the case of the Star Pact at any rate, it's entirely possible that you've never even seen the creature that gave you your power, much less bargained with it.
Theres a thread in Character Building (I think) in which Eldritch_Lord has gone through a number of different ways in which pacts would go down.

In accordance with some 19y/o making a pact with a powerful creature, I think theres more ways than just tricking them (though tricking them is fun).

Sally, the fey-pact warlock, got her powers after a chance incident. A powerful fey had been turned into a rabbit for a day. Sally ran off an owl that was trying to kill the rabbit and nursed it back to health. The fey was grateful to Sally, and granted her powers in return.

Bill, the star-pact warlock, was always described by his peers as 'unique'. He had wild dreams of things beyond the stars. Instead of running away, he embraced them and studied them, which brought him to the attention of the things beyond the stars. For unknown reasons, they have granted him power.

Ted, the hell-pact warlock, never got along with the other kids. Scrawny and weak, and not to terribly smart either, he bartered with a petty devil for power. Even though the devil required nothing in return, it was sure that the hell-power would corrupt Ted over time.
Resident Shakespeare
Any suggestions on other ideas?

Maybe its not that they are tricked out of it, maybe they do it for fun. Fey types and Infernal types especially. Letting a new warlock loose on the world. Letting them think they got the better part of the bargain.....
Fey Pact: Chaotic Impulse of Primal Fey

Star Pact: Unknowable Motives of Creatures Beyond Mortal Keen

Infernal Pact: So, I see you've got that soul there... not using it for anything are you?
For a fey warlock, I'm going to go with the "future favor" route. "I will give you power, but, someday, I will come to you and ask for a favor that you cannot refuse..."

I could also see a warlock tapping power from an imprisoned infernal, similar to how the blood knights in WoW stole power from M'uru.
For a fey warlock, I'm going to go with the "future favor" route. "I will give you power, but, someday, I will come to you and ask for a favor that you cannot refuse..."

I could also see a warlock tapping power from an imprisoned infernal, similar to how the blood knights in WoW stole power from M'uru.

Ixnay on the oWWay:P
Here's a thought I had about Infernal pacts:

Devils are imprisoned in the Nine Hells. The infernal pact gives devils access to the world. As a Warlock gets more powerful, the devils permitted access become more powerful and numerous. So a high level infernal warlock is the font for an devilish invasion.
Helo,

I can not see a demonic / Astral / Fey creature being captured / conned / extorted / bargained with by some 19 year old (Basic starting age some many level 1 characters) Into giving up / bestowing Eldrith power.

Why not? A 19 year old is likely to be naive and not particularly adept at bargaining, and they might well lose on the deal, especially if they are dealing with a creature who has thousands of years of bargaining experience (ie. a devil).