The Ten-Minute Background--Post your characters!

937 posts / 0 new
Last post
Oh and I like the suggestion that
Show
the White Fox Society which I have read so far as a relatively "good" force, has it out for the dwarf, whom i also see as "good" just in a different way. And plus the leader sounds crooked...I am reading it right that you have a cast of evil - or at least militaristic, and expansionist Eladrin in your campaign? That's so cool!

Show
Yeah, it's the contest between Good and Lawful Good playing out in the streets of town. I should do a Ten-Minute Writeup of the White Fox Society...it's almost as much a character as the NPCs are. It's a bit more complicated than that, though...while the White Fox has Good-aligned goals, some of the lengths they are willing to go to achieve them get along that very gray borderline.

And yes, the Eladrin kingdoms are militaristic and expansionist. Not all the individual Eladrin are, but the ones in power are the ones using the underhanded means to promote their interests. One thing I'm thinking of doing is a bunch of write-ups of various factions as NPCs.

When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray 

The Ten-Minute Background of The White Fox Society

Step 1: Five important concepts.

"Once upon a time, there was a wide forest, where all manner of beasts lived in peace, though not always harmony. One day..."
--From "The Parable of The White Fox"

Background
1) The White Fox Society is a secret society of "concerned citizens" who act as a check against government structures. The seek to oppose tyrannical individuals and power structures that encourage the privileged to exploit and debase the common worker.
2) The Society draws inspiration from an ancient parable about a fox who opposed a tyrannical army of ants who enslaved the denizens of a peaceful forest under the guise of protecting them for their own good. Most members believe the story is an allegory for some long-forgotten historical event.
3) The Society prefers to exert social and political pressures to encourage reform, but they are not above direct acts of violence or sabotage. Such means are considered last resorts, but they remain as options. And given the cell structure of the society, some leaders are more willing to break out the "last resorts" than others.
4) The Society operates in a loose cell structure, without a central hierarchy. The heads of each cell do keep in contact with each other, and members of cells can usually rely on other cells to aid and abet them if they make contact, but the society at large remains loose and there is a lot of variance in how the different cells carry out their mandate. This means the Society has to rely on special members that act as "internal affairs" to visit the different cells and make sure the Society as a whole is acting in the best interests of the people, not just the members.
5) Some White Foxes get the impression that there is an even more secret group within and between the cells that has its own agenda, but so far no evidence of this has been uncovered.

Step 2: Goals

"My Gods. Do you know what you've done!? You've ruined me!"
"Your refusal to relinquish your ill-gotten power was what ruined you, sir. I merely opened the closet you hid your skeletons in."
--Conversation between Councilman Lorenzo De'Beauchamps and "a concerned citizen"

Goals
1) The White fox Society is nominally a force for good, and thus acts as great patrons for the party.
2) However, the society is also a great hotbed for intrigue and espionage-related adventures, since it isn't strictly legal and could be interpreted as a terrorist organization without too much effort. It also provides me with many layers for the party to peel back and explore.

Step 3: Secrets

"Have you heard the parable of The White Fox?"
"Indeed. I found the story heartening."
"Did the tale lend you strength?"
"Yes. I can do what must be done"
--Traditional White Fox greeting.

Show
1) The White Fox Society is, at least nominally, on the side of "the little guy." They have broken the power of tyrannical governors, overly-privileged noble houses, and corrupt guilds, and they also take the time to investigate other threats to society, from civil unrest to unstable wizards to thieves guilds and other organized crime. They like contracting adventuring parties to do their main work.
2) Some White Fox cells are corrupt, working more to enrich their own members than to promote the common man. And some criminal organizations have become aware of the society and work against them.
3)
Show
The Eladrin Empire of Avaleron is responsible for the setup of the White Fox Society in Coralton. The White Fox Society actually began as an offshoot of Avaleron's secret police. Avaleron nobles make certain that all the White Fox cells have at least one member completely loyal to them in a position of influence, and try to steer the society into keeping the human lands somewhat weak, for they are planning an invasion of the human-controlled Coralton and wish to keep resistance as low as possible. Only a handful of White Fox leaders have figured out who is really pulling the strings.

Step 4: Contacts

"Our eyes are everywhere, milady. The people you are harming are the people you depend on. We clean your privies, cook your meals, manage your servants, drive you carriages, and guard you while you sleep. Do not mess with us."
--The White Fox of Notre Dame to Lady Yvette Le'Claire

Contacts
1) The White Fox Society likes to support ventures that offer the greatest good for the greatest number of people. In St. Clarice, for instance, the greatest supporter of the White Fox Society is the Lyceum of Amyra, the Goddess of Love.
2) The White Fox Society of St. Clarice also supports the formation of the Dockworkers Union, and members of the society are outspoken on their support of the Dockworker's efforts to gain equal footing with the more oppressive Merchant's Guild.
3) however, neither the law nor the criminals appreciate the White Fox efforts. The Town Guard sees the White Fox as rabble-rousing threats to the public order, and the halfling smuggling ring sees the society as competition and a direct threat to their bottom line, so both work against the society from different angles.

Just a note to those interested - I've added to Gabriel Kaine's profile, the wonderful goal that Hamster suggested, and to the Inspiration section, a bit about Dalaney Hargreaves, Gabriel's Sire.

Oh and re White Fox Society = D&D Communists!!! ...sorta.

Neat stuff - I like how everything in your setting even a nominally good organization has a dark underbelly, and things are rarely as simple as they first seem.

Oh, and again to those interested, please suggest names for Gabe's sire's first Childe - I'm thinking he's European of some kind, probably either German or French, or British like the rest. Hell, go Italian if you want, too.
Rhode, The cleric of the raven quee.
Tell me what you think please and thankyou

Part 1
1. Everyone from his past besides his two best friends, hiroshi and Inwe, were either murdered or kidnapped. He dosent know which
2. He adventures now so that he may help others deal with the of losing someone you love, or an entire village of people you cared about in his such case
3. He is a holy man of the raven queen
4. He is sorta shut in and dosent like talking about the pass, each night he is in a town he goes to a local bar and haves a drink.
5. He hates undead, no one should ever live again specially if they had someone who loved them.

Part 2
1. To find out what happened to his village, he dosent want revenge just closeure.
2. To help people understand death
3. To meet up with Hiroshi and Inwe again, the had parted ways after the what happened.

Step 3
1. He is not welcomed in the port town of [im not sure what name my DM has given this city yet] for he punched the mayor one night in a drunken brawl
2. His home town that became a ghost town when everyone he knew, besides his best friends, vanished was actually the head-Quaters for a rebellion to over throw the kingdom.

Step 4
1. Hiroshi was one of the three children that survived what happened. Hiroshi and Rhode are still best friends. When Rhode became a cleric Hiroshi settled down and became an armor smith.
2. The other child that escaped the tradegy was a girl named Inwe. Rhode and Hiroshi took care of Inwe after what happened, she is like a little sister to him. Inwe was adopted by a rich noble from across the sea and now has alot of connections with other nobles and kings.
3. Vondal was Rhodes mentor at the church, he helped Rhode handle and come to terms with what had happened. Vondal is a Dwarf that took care of Rhode for three years, helping him kick the habit of drinking his problems away.

Step 5
1. Rhodes entire village was abandoned one night while He and his two best friends were playing in the forest. He was 9 years old at that time.
2. Hiroshi, Inwe and Rhode all grew up at a Orphanage after that. It was an ok life.
3. After he left the orphanage he drank alot, and he would drink for alot of reasons. Now he just drinks to drink.

If you want the full background please go here and please comenthttp://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1078924
Jedi,

I like your character, he is a very simple person who lacks an extensive background but I think that he is very playable and open for plenty of adjustment as a campaign he is involved in develops.

Does his excessive drinking impact him while he adventures? Does he take a bottle with him on the road?
Stray,

I am almost as enthralled with your campaign world as I am with the Forgotten Realms these days lol. Thank you for working so hard and posting so much.
Gabe,

Im not a vampire masquerade kinda guy but I really like your character
BadOmen,

Your character concept is very interesting.

Why does Ithius grant power to an unwilling person? Is Oz the only hope of protection for the deity? Or was Oz tricked into unknowingly receiving his powers from a force that wants to destroy Ithius?

Wouldn't Ithius be aware of corruption within his own church? Or does the deity not care (or is Oz an unwilling tool of cleansing?)

Oz's beginning is mapped out clearly, I am interested in what his final destiny ends up becoming! Let me know as he progresses

The way you are playing this character he may be a Cleric in class but he is really a Warlock in flavor. Very neat.
Stray,

I am almost as enthralled with your campaign world as I am with the Forgotten Realms these days lol. Thank you for working so hard and posting so much.

why thank you for the kind words! This is the sort of world I've been working on for many years, so it's nice to see my work appreciated. My players helped, though, since all of these NPCs gained details through interaction with them over the course of the first campaign.

It's nice to know my stuff is enjoyable, though. It encourages me to keep posting things!

Gabe,

Im not a vampire masquerade kinda guy but I really like your character

That's perfectly fine - I know its not for everyone (although if you spend a lot of time on the Char Development forums then I recommend checking it out if you haven't) But thanks for the comment - and I'm glad you enjoy it.
Show

Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum.

Delvar Deeps

1) His family is one of dwarven preists to Mordain, every firstborn has become a cleric or a paladin for a hundred generations.
2) He failed the cleric test time and again for ten years, being the first born this was considered a bad omen for his family.
3) To hide the family shame he took to the volcanic mines, hoping to loose his personal dishonnor in discovering a new chamber of precious gems
4) While in the volcanic mines he came to listen to a cleric of the raven queen explaining that perhaps it wasent his fate to be a cleric and that even the gods have bigger plans than making everyone a faithfull follower.
5) Some time later he fell into a lava tube and set free a bound demoness, in payment for her freedom she gave him his pact, then slew everyone in the mountain with a volcanic eruption, hurling him hundreds of miles away in a lava bomb. He has never returned to see if there were any survivors.

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. During any session in which you take positive action to achieve that goal, I will award you an action point that can only be used in scenes furthering that goal. These Action Points are separate from the action points you gain by resting and reaching milestones. You can change goals later, though you lose all the accumulated Action Points for the goal you abandoned.

Example:

1) I would like to see Delvar develop some faith not just religious, but belief in his adventuring companions and himself.
2) It would be cool to have Delvar come face to face with the demoness who he forged his pact with andperhaps even fight if not defeat her.

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

1) Delvar is the only survivor of the ash mountain explosion, no other survivor has spoken up in the last 5 years. He still feals that he is responsible for the eruption and its aftermath.
2) Every time Delvar levels up, the burns across his skin grow, by the time he is 20th level he will be a naked pink mass of scared flesh
3) All of the dwarfs were not killed but actually entombed in the lava, each soul collected one by one is being drawn out to power a gate for the demoness to call in more troops to attack this realm
Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

Example:

1) Sho’Senrah IS the deamoness to whom Delvar forged his pact, she knows his desires to kill her and takes a sadistic pleasure in giving him the weapons he needs to fulfill his hatefull dreams, one level at a time.
2) Margoh Mines Is a dwarven female who was betrothed to Delvar by arranged marriage, a marriage ment to unite the volcano dwarfs with the mountain dwarfs. With the death of him and all his people she has tried to move on, taking to a ranger’s path to journey the world before she heads home to meet her new betrothed, to see the world before she takes to the mountains once more.
3) Dagrias Deeps Is Delvars grandfather. Exiled from the halls a hundred years ago for the theft of artifacts of mordain has become a king of thiefs in the capitol city, working for only the highest price, he takes particular delight in lifting from churches, why is something even he doesn’t know.

Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

Example:

1) Delvar remembers the smell if insence, burning in the church halls.
2) Delvar remembers the Many hours spent talking with the raven queen cleric, talking about destinies and fates.
3)Delvar cannot go to bed without looking at the burns on his body, scars that seem to tighten and writhe almost always after a heavy fight, they remind him of the pact he swore.
Jedi,

I like your character, he is a very simple person who lacks an extensive background but I think that he is very playable and open for plenty of adjustment as a campaign he is involved in develops.

Does his excessive drinking impact him while he adventures? Does he take a bottle with him on the road?

thanks for the feedback

as for the the drinking, he does normally carry some type of booze around but he doesent like it to affect his job which now comes 1st. So normally he will drink after the group sets up camp or if they are in a town before he goes to bed
Show

Step 1: write five things about your character’s concept and background, five things that you think are the most essential parts of your character. You don’t have to stop at five, if you like…this is just a minimum.

Delvar Deeps

1) His family is one of dwarven preists to Mordain, every firstborn has become a cleric or a paladin for a hundred generations.
2) He failed the cleric test time and again for ten years, being the first born this was considered a bad omen for his family.
3) To hide the family shame he took to the volcanic mines, hoping to loose his personal dishonnor in discovering a new chamber of precious gems
4) While in the volcanic mines he came to listen to a cleric of the raven queen explaining that perhaps it wasent his fate to be a cleric and that even the gods have bigger plans than making everyone a faithfull follower.
5) Some time later he fell into a lava tube and set free a bound demoness, in payment for her freedom she gave him his pact, then slew everyone in the mountain with a volcanic eruption, hurling him hundreds of miles away in a lava bomb. He has never returned to see if there were any survivors.

Step 2: List two goals for the character that you, as a player, think would be cool to see accomplished in-game. During any session in which you take positive action to achieve that goal, I will award you an action point that can only be used in scenes furthering that goal. These Action Points are separate from the action points you gain by resting and reaching milestones. You can change goals later, though you lose all the accumulated Action Points for the goal you abandoned.

Example:

1) I would like to see Delvar develop some faith not just religious, but belief in his adventuring companions and himself.
2) It would be cool to have Delvar come face to face with the demoness who he forged his pact with andperhaps even fight if not defeat her.

Step 3: List two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

1) Delvar is the only survivor of the ash mountain explosion, no other survivor has spoken up in the last 5 years. He still feals that he is responsible for the eruption and its aftermath.
2) Every time Delvar levels up, the burns across his skin grow, by the time he is 20th level he will be a naked pink mass of scared flesh
3) All of the dwarfs were not killed but actually entombed in the lava, each soul collected one by one is being drawn out to power a gate for the demoness to call in more troops to attack this realm
Step 4: Describe three people that are tied to the character though blood, romance or honor. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. All can do something useful for you, if you can get the situations to line up. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

Example:

1) Sho’Senrah IS the deamoness to whom Delvar forged his pact, she knows his desires to kill her and takes a sadistic pleasure in giving him the weapons he needs to fulfill his hatefull dreams, one level at a time.
2) Margoh Mines Is a dwarven female who was betrothed to Delvar by arranged marriage, a marriage ment to unite the volcano dwarfs with the mountain dwarfs. With the death of him and all his people she has tried to move on, taking to a ranger’s path to journey the world before she heads home to meet her new betrothed, to see the world before she takes to the mountains once more.
3) Dagrias Deeps Is Delvars grandfather. Exiled from the halls a hundred years ago for the theft of artifacts of mordain has become a king of thiefs in the capitol city, working for only the highest price, he takes particular delight in lifting from churches, why is something even he doesn’t know.

Step 5: Describe three memories that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

Example:

1) Delvar remembers the smell if insence, burning in the church halls.
2) Delvar remembers the Many hours spent talking with the raven queen cleric, talking about destinies and fates.
3)Delvar cannot go to bed without looking at the burns on his body, scars that seem to tighten and writhe almost always after a heavy fight, they remind him of the pact he swore.

I like it! Very fun concept for a pact...I like the "failed cleric" angle, and the fact that the demon is giving him the weapons to kill her. why, though? Is the demon looking for an interesting challenge, suicidal, or kind of stupid and egotistical and thinking the dwarf could never pose a threat? Some insight into the demon's motives might do this concept well.

I like it! Very fun concept for a pact...I like the "failed cleric" angle, and the fact that the demon is giving him the weapons to kill her. why, though? Is the demon looking for an interesting challenge, suicidal, or kind of stupid and egotistical and thinking the dwarf could never pose a threat? Some insight into the demon's motives might do this concept well.

First and third as well as putting her between him and her enemies. For an example he will kill the death giant trying to get to her, but in killing the death giant, she takes all the soulshards the giant was hoarding and gates away or drops him hard to prove her power over him and blind his anger so he wont see the next trap as well.
Aw, no love for Yebin and Bulrick?

Sorry, I've been gone all weekend. Yebin looks like an interesting character. He seems to be able to live life for what it's worth, and he does what he enjoys. That, and I like the word apothecary. :D

Bulrick is a very interesting fellow indeed! I'd hate to cross words with him! I my suggest (being in a similiar situation myself) that you add a contact to his list: One who absolutely cannot stand Bulrick on a personal level, but has absolute respect for him on a professional level, and will follow him to the Nine Hells if need be.

Just a note to those interested - I've added to Gabriel Kaine's profile, the wonderful goal that Hamster suggested,

Why thank you! :D
The Ten-Minute Background of The White Fox Society

Nice write up!

Since the White Fox occassionally does illegal acts, are they constantly harrassed by law enforcement?
Delvar Deeps

Interesting character! I like it! Especially the "failed" cleric angle. Although, I'm interested to know:

The demoness gave him his powers... Did he even want them? Does he dispise his powers? Does he think his powers comes from his God that he's been trying to be a follower of for so many years? Does he still worship that god?

That would definately be an interesting angle.

I find it odd that he willingly uses powers granted by someone he so passionately hates and wants to kill.

Good write-up, though!
I find it odd that he willingly uses powers granted by someone he so passionately hates and wants to kill.

Good write-up, though!

Maybe he can appreciate the delicious irony...

and I agree - neat character indeed.
Sorry, I've been gone all weekend. Yebin looks like an interesting character. He seems to be able to live life for what it's worth, and he does what he enjoys. That, and I like the word apothecary. :D

Bulrick is a very interesting fellow indeed! I'd hate to cross words with him! I my suggest (being in a similiar situation myself) that you add a contact to his list: One who absolutely cannot stand Bulrick on a personal level, but has absolute respect for him on a professional level, and will follow him to the Nine Hells if need be.

I will strongly consider that. Any suggestions on what position in the city such a person would occupy?

Nice write up!

Since the White Fox occassionally does illegal acts, are they constantly harrassed by law enforcement?

Those members known to be members, sure. That's why it's a secret society, after all. That said, some areas with White Fox Cells actually work with the Society, either openly or under the table. The Great City of Coral Town, for instance, doesn't try too hard to go after the White Foxes there, because town sheriff Jack Brass is himself a member of the society.

I will strongly consider that. Any suggestions on what position in the city such a person would occupy?

Well, I was a simple soldier, and I had a sergeant like that. I couldn't stand the man on a personal level. I mean, he was ok and all, just things didn't sit well between us, that's all. (He was kind of a jack*ss). But on a professional level, there was no man I respected more. He knew his job, and he did it well. He was a damned fine leader, that's for sure.

On that note, it could be anyone. One of his underlings, who doesn't have much political sway, but has the respect of his fellow men (they do what he says). Or it could be one of his equals in another department, if your city has multiple departments of the law.

Those members known to be members, sure. That's why it's a secret society, after all. That said, some areas with White Fox Cells actually work with the Society, either openly or under the table. The Great City of Coral Town, for instance, doesn't try too hard to go after the White Foxes there, because town sheriff Jack Brass is himself a member of the society.

Now, if you want yourself some good political city intrigue, you could have the local guard (or politician) accuse and try people for being a part of the white foxes, regardless if they actually are. From my experiences with the legal system, the law is looking more for a person to blame than they are for a person who's actually at fault.
Well, I was a simple soldier, and I had a sergeant like that. I couldn't stand the man on a personal level. I mean, he was ok and all, just things didn't sit well between us, that's all. (He was kind of a jack*ss). But on a professional level, there was no man I respected more. He knew his job, and he did it well. He was a damned fine leader, that's for sure.

On that note, it could be anyone. One of his underlings, who doesn't have much political sway, but has the respect of his fellow men (they do what he says). Or it could be one of his equals in another department, if your city has multiple departments of the law.

Ok, then. I've added Sergent Hammer, third-in-command of the city watch, to Bulrick's list of contacts.

Now, if you want yourself some good political city intrigue, you could have the local guard (or politician) accuse and try people for being a part of the white foxes, regardless if they actually are. From my experiences with the legal system, the law is looking more for a person to blame than they are for a person who's actually at fault.

I'll keep that plotline in mind as the politics of the city grow ever more twisty. Perhaps if
Show
the plot against Bulrick's life
goes through, the White Foxes will become hunted as a way for
Show
Duvoe to throw suspicion off of himself and his crooked connections

Interesting character! I like it! Especially the "failed" cleric angle. Although, I'm interested to know:

The demoness gave him his powers... Did he even want them? Does he dispise his powers? Does he think his powers comes from his God that he's been trying to be a follower of for so many years? Does he still worship that god?

That would definately be an interesting angle.

Good write-up, though!

Thanks!
She gave him his powers in thanks for him setting her free from her prison, then she killed those who had sealed her away. (That being the other dwarfs, he did not know this cause he never made full cleric and it is a church only secret that not even his family could tell him.) He hates her for killing his clan, he hates himself for setting her free to kill his clan, so he will use the power she gave him to kill her and avenge his clan.

I am pondering for an epic battle if she revokes her pact with him in the middle of the fight (when she reaches bloodied), stripping him down to an ordinary dwarf with only his equipment and level experience (the AC& to hit, HP stuff like that same as before but no at-will enounter daily or utility that comes from his pact) to defeat her.
The Ten-Minute Background of Audric Cwellen, Knight of the Radiant Heart

Step 1: Background and Concepts
Background and concepts
1) Audric Cwellen is a handsome, blonde, blue-eyed half-elf who hails from the great port city of Coral Town.
2) Before his conversion to the faith of Amyra, Audric was a charismatic lady's man. He was shiftless and a cad, but the love of an Amyran priestess redeemed him, especially after her tragic death during a pirate raid on the city. Audric joined the Order of the Radiant Heart, an order of holy warriors dedicated to the love goddess, in order to absolve his grief and gain the skills necessary to avenge her.
3) He traveled the high seas with Martin Tenbones, Shasha LeBelle, and a group of other companions, fighting pirates under the flag of the Dread Pirate Hellbeard. Together, these companions defeated the vicious Captain Craven, Hellbeard's second-in-command. However, the companions had a falling out, and after they split up the pirate's treasure, they went their separate ways. Audric and Martin came to St. Clarice.
4) Audric is still active with the Radiant Hearts, and tirelessly opposes evil when he comes across it.
5) Recently, he has come under attack. Several times now he has been assaulted by an assassin calling himself Tayce. Audric isn't sure why he is being targeted, but he knows that he needs to keep his guard up for now.

goals
1) Audric is an ally of the party, willing to help them on the occasional adventure as well as providing access to
Show
The White Fox Society

2) He also provides a series of adventure hooks for the party, and several villainous plots revolve around his failings.

Spoilers
1) Audric is actually a member of the White Fox Society, just like Martin Tenbones. His work for the Radiant Heart is mostly a cover for his White Fox activities, and he is one of the most active White Fox members in St. Clarice.
2) Audric is also still an inveterate womanizer, and he has begun to make advances on Angelique DuParis, the wife of his boss, Marcel. This dangerous love triangle threatens the reputation of the church, and would cause harm to the legitimacy of the Amyran temple in St. Calrice were it to become known.
3) Naturally, those who have something to gain from the brewing scandal are eager to use it. Interested parties include Gerard LeVaine (who wants to destroy people's faith in their gods) and Gaston Duchamps (Marcel publicly criticizes the Merchant's Guild and supports the Dockworker's Union, and Gaston would like nothing more than to draw attention away from his own affairs). Though Bishop Antoine Montaire is a long-time rival of the Amyran temple, he would likely find only sadness in the scandal, not vindication.
Show
4) The assassins are not targeting Audric for anything he's done, but because he is close to Angelique DuParis. She is the real target of the plot laid by Mai'ali, who wants to worm her way into Marcel's life by removing her competition. Audric is seen as just a bodyguard, but she, too, would be eager to use his infidelity against him in place of direct assault.

Step 4: Contacts and Enemies
Contacts and Enemies
1) Celebrant Marcel DuParis, high priest of the Amyran temple, is one of Audric's friends. He is also Audric's superior.
2) Martin Tenbones is Audric's best friend. He owns a tavern and picks up much of the local gossip, and so he can keep Audric appraised of important developments in town.
3) Bharazhd Berama is a Dragonborn noble and "gentleman adventurer" who has made a name for himself in town. Audric and the Dragonborn have made fast friends.
4) Audric has seen a woman in town that strongly resembles his lost friend Sasha LeBelle. he is interested in speaking with this woman, to see if there is any family ties. He was going to talk to her at the tavern where she worked, but a brawl broke out there that wound up burning the place to the ground and he narrowly escaped an assassination attempt during the chaos, so he lost his chance then. He met her again at a ball thrown by the Lord Mayor, but before he could do more than exchange pleasantries she hastily excused herself...right before he was attacked by Tayce again. He is beginning to suspect she has some ties to the assassin...
5) Tayce, an assassin, has tried to kill him on two separate occasions, and Audric is not certain why. He has been doing some investigation into the matter, but is not yet near an answer.

Step 5: Mannerisms and Memories
Show
1) Audric is passionate and charismatic. He also flirts with any attractive female he meets.
2) Audric recalls the pain he endured after losing his lover to the pirate raid. Though many years have passed and the pain has dulled some, it is still a driving force in the back of his mind.
3) The break-up of the fellowship that he belonged to was a sore spot, because it happened over the love of a woman driving the team apart. Audric believes that better communication could have resolved the issue without such ugly feelings, and that love should not be the source of strife between friends. He is blind to his own hypocrisy in this.

Design notes
Audric was an NPC, the local leader of the White Fox Society in the place of Marcel, who had been killed in that game. He was a great ally for the party, and was so beloved that when he died trying to save one of the party members after being captured by Mai'ali's cult, they actually sprung to get him resurrected. He moved from Patron to Ally very quickly, accompanying the party on several adventures. Eventually, he moved from NPC status to PC status when one of the players took him on as a full-time PC after several failed characters.

So bringing him back during the campaign reboot was a given. However, like everything else, I wanted to change a few things. As it turned out, the biggest change turned out to not be a change at all.

Let me elaborate: in the previous game, Audric was single and portrayed as something of a womanizer. However, he eventually got paired with Angelique DuParis, who was, at this time, a widow. The two characters began a relationship that seemed to be heading for matrimony, taming Audric's wild ways.

The major change that I did was to keep Audric's relationship with Angelique...but with the complication that Angelique's husband is still very much alive and an important NPC in his own right. Instantly, the tenor of the relationship changed, and it adds a delicious sense of scandal to the Amyran church that church's enemies can exploit. It also gives me an interesting love triangle dynamic to work with.

I really enjoy reading these and want to thank everybody for sharing their character and ideas.

http://community.wizards.com/play-by-post_haven The Play-by-Post recruitment hub for the forums. Stop by, join us, and sign up for some games while you are there

Cookie Collection
71235715 wrote:
FF6, it's comments like that make me want to post more characters.
So I am. Hopefully everyone will forgive you. :D

¡Now with still MORE editing!

Here's a PC no one will ever let me play. Fingers crossed, though.

Zimri, male tiefling Warlord, Evil.
Background:
"Despite appearances, I'm a soldier first. Now help this man before he bleeds to death."[sblock]
1.Zimri is a recent graduate of the Puissant Academy of Hermingforde.
2. His unusual parentage was overlooked, due to a dire need of officers to quell a peasant rebellion, and a solid cloistered education. However, due to politics, he ended up as a frontline commander of an entirely green unit.
3. His own account of what follows goes like this: Insufficiently supported, his unit took heavy losses and was isolated from the main force. After a series of skirmishes, dwindling supplies and wounded men forced him to negotiate with a tribe of hobgoblins, who created enough of a diversion for his unit to cover the trek to base safely. While technically true, this skirts some of the unpleasant circumstances of the situation.
4. The alternate account is this: Zimri ambushed a large enemy force without official orders, took heavy losses, and ordered a retreat. Unwilling to take further losses fighting hobgoblins, Zimri offered to lead the creatures to a now lightly defended enemy hamlet, where the goblins caused enough havok to draw the men of the village back from patrol to avenge the abuse of their families. He used this situation to escape. This account is also technically true, but better orders were not forthcoming, since his CO had opted to use Zimri's unit as a decoy.
5.His court martial proved inconclusive, with Zimri knowing the relevant caselaw better than his accusers, and getting some unexpected help from higher up. However, the tribunal decided that he be placed on indefinite leave, following the incident. [/sblock]

Goals:
"It may sound naive, but just as a man must earn what he has, he likewise must have what he's earned."
Show
Short: Zimri feels that he has been cheated of his rightful citation, and must overtake progressively more insane situations until someone notices his brilliance.
Medium: As a player, I'd like Zimri to witness something that shakes his cynical view of the world, but I'm not holding my breath.
Long: I'd like him to have to make a choice between his loyalty and his self-preservation at some point. Which he chooses will be based on the resolution of the former goal.

Secrets:
"My tutors went too far, you see: Once I learned to reason, thinking wasn't far behind."
Show
1. Known: While educated by St Cuthbert's clergy, Zimri is actually a lay worshipper in an Asmodian Cult. His allegiance to Asmodeus began as social networking at the academy, but he now sees the archdevil as personifying utilitarian judgement, and tactical thinking. His dry wit and lack of zealousness result in him and the senior clergy keeping each other at a distance.
2. Unknown: This cult is currently planning to overthrow the royal family, replacing the king with a nobleborn cultist. Eventually. These things take time. Zimri, if he knew of this, would not join the coup, although it's too early to say whether he'd actively oppose it.

Relationships, 2 positive, 1 Negative.
"I maintain an active social life, my dear. I suggest you find someone less burdened."
Show
*Lieutenant-colonel Leffingham. Human Male, LG. A grizzled veteran of many campaigns for the crown, Leffingham will not allow himself the moral shortcuts Zimri seems to revel in. Despite personal agitation, he forced himself to defend Zimri at his court martial, since his actions did serve the survival of his troops.
*Contessa Eunice Cosby. Human Female, E. Wealthy, beautiful, and utterly bored, Eunice belongs to the infernal cult referenced above. She, like most of the noble members, is strictly in it for the lulz, and would balk at any serious mayhem. Lately, she's had her eye on Zimri, figuring that his race and reputation would attract the exact wrong sort of attention.
*Captain Devlin Delphineo. Human male, G. Unable to rid himself of the abomination of a hellspawned officer during the war, despite his best efforts, Devlin proved similarly incompetant at destroying Zimri during his formal inquiry. Nothing good will come of his increasing obsession over the matter, and being madly in love with the contessa is certainly not going to help.

Personality:
"You are going to lead us to our mutual friend, or I am going to deflate your lung."
Show
If war is hell, Zimri makes the perfect warlord. He is the picture of rigid discipline, shrewd character, and sociopathic amorality. He'd think nothing of napalming a village to prevent fighting its warriors, but would never cheat at cards or break a promise, unless he needed to. His foremost commitment seems to be to his own survival, an attitude he makes few excuses about. While willing to do whatever the situation at hand requires, he has no room for cruelty or kindness, both being unwanted distractions.
Mannerisms:
"I'll have the veal."
Spartan in appearance and habits, Zimri has more emotional control than most tieflings. He expects obedience and deference, but is very sympathetic in most situations, seemingly cataloging and collating the abilities and limits of the people he interacts with. He favors well-grilled meats and expensive wine, and will sometimes smoke an ivory stemmed pipe while he is thinking. His sole creative pursuit seems to be the Journal he keeps, although the complex cypher therein stymies all but the most determined spies.

For those familiar with Leonard Cohen, he's very close to my idea of Zimri's vocal pitch and enunciation.
Theatrical, but reserved.

Literary Context/ Easter Egg
Show
From Wikipedia: [i]Zimri was the Prince of the Tribe of Simeon during the time of the Israelites in the desert. At Shittim (Num. 25:6-15) he took part in the Heresy of Peor, taking as a paramour a Midianite woman, Cozbi. Zimri openly defied Moses before the people who were standing at the entrance of the Tabernacle by going in to the Midianite, but Phinehas, grandson of Aaron, killed them both by impaling them on a spear.[/i]
While I obviously arranged things to turn out a quite a bit differently, the historical context was a goldmine for NPC details. I make sure to europeanize the names of non-tieflings, of course.
Here is some background information on the campaign area, inspired by the FRCG.

The Ten-Minute Background of The Republic of Coralton

Step 1: Concepts and Background

"Onward, men! Let us show these pirate scum what true men of valor look like! And fear no blade, no poison, no spell! For the bold men die but once, then rest, but the cowards die a thousand times until they reach their judgment!"
--Hannibal Lightfoot, just before the Battle of Coral Town

Background
1) Coralton was once the southernmost province of the great Kelsenon Empire, but when the empire collapsed during the Hundred Years' Chaos, the outlying areas of the empire were left to fend for themselves. Coralton weathered domination by raging diabolic hordes and pirate lords until a group of expatriate Eladrin from the Eladrin empire of Avaleron in the Feywild crossed the veil. The Eladrin rallied the beleaguered humans and helped them rise up against the forces of darkness, driving the devils from Notre Dame and the pirates from Coral Town. Once the dark forces had been driven from the south, the province declared its independence from Kelsenon, forming its own governing body.
2) Coralton is composed of two former city states. The White City of Notre Dame, to the north, sits on the edge of the world's largest canyon and guards one end of a massive dwarven-built bridge, over fifty miles long, that spans the chasm. Coral Town is one of the largest ports in the world and boasts a navy that is the envy of the Argius sea. Coral Town is the nominal capital of the Republic.
3) Thanks to a large immigration of Eladrin and a great deal of interbreeding, Coralton has the largest half-elven population in the known world. In fact, Coralton is sometimes known as "The Half-Elven Nation." The region also has many ties to the Feywild, and creatures from that plane have a relatively easy time entering the Middle World. Coralton is an active trading partner with the remnant of Avaleron, which lies on the other side of The Veil.
4) Coralton is a Republic, governed by a council made up of nobles from all four major provinces (Southern, Northern, Eastern, and the Peninsula). Nobles are elected by the people of their provinces and serve 5 year terms. Though there are no strict term limits, nobles rarely serve more than twice in succession. Often a noble will suddenly decide to retire once his second term is up. Those that don't often have curious accidents or tragedies that, while not usually fatal, tend to make a person examine his life very carefully.
5) The City of Coral Town is noted for its strong navy, as well as being the headquarters of the Artificer's and Enchanter's Guild, a dwarven-run operation that is changing the face of the world with magical marvels such as the sentient Warforged, the first elemental-powered sailing ships, and (it's rumored) even the first prototypes of ships that can sail in the sky. Notre Dame is a strong military city, known for its ties to the Great Church of Cyra Morwyn, Goddess of the Sun, and for the dragon that attacks once every Seven Years

"Humanity is truly a remarkable race. Less than two centuries after Kelsenon's fall, Coralton stands as a blazing beacon in a sea of darkness. While other races watch their empires crumble and wallow in despair everafter, the humans pick themselves up, dust themselves off, and build anew. Imagine, then, what they could accomplish with true masters to direct them."
--Emperor Nyroni of Avaleron

Goals
1) Coralton is the player's home base in my current campaign, so it needs to seem worth adventuring in and yet at the same time it needs to be a place worth protecting.
2) Coralton is humanity's best hope of rebuilding, the "next great empire" in the making. It is threatened by the villain's plots, however, and bringing Coralton down would likely bring down humanity, at least for a time.

"It is as we feared. The Sheriff of Abbeville has become an Ant King, and he has many dark secrets."

"Then it is time we act to remove him. Assemble the other Foxes...it is time for a Hunt."
--Two "concerned citizens," shortly before The Doom That Came to Abbeville.

spoilers!
1) There is a secret society of watchers and rebels known as "The White Fox Society" that works to keep Coralton honest. They act as a secret police and check against the government's power, working to keep the interests of the common man on the agendas of the elite. It is they who "convince" nobles who've gotten too comfortable in the Council to step down. They also strike at wealthy guild who use unfair practices to enrich themselves at the people's expense, sheriffs who are too heavy-handed in laying down the law, and other menaces who threaten the common well-being. See The White Fox background for more information.
2) Coralton faces a lurking threat from necromancers from the secret academy of Mournhollow. The Gash, the great canyon north of Notre Dame, was actually formed by the scythe of the devil lord known as the Dark Reaper when he cast it away from himself after being defeated by the Nine Hero Gods. Reaperite Lore has it that he also cast away his heart and the book that held the ritual that created him, and if these three artifacts are ever brought together again they can be used to summon him from his prison. The necromancers of Mournhollow are convinced that these artifacts are scattered throughout the lands surrounding the Gash, lands which include Coralton. One of these artifacts may, in fact, have been responsible for the Doom that came to Abbeville.
Show
3) The Eladrin have been manipulating the Republic of Coralton since before it became its own nation. They interbreed with the humans only because they hope to use human breeding and half-elf bloodlines to break the curse of The Madness, which touches every Eladrin eventually. Some of the Eladrin Nobles are more aggressive, seeing the humans and half-breeds as weak and easily conquered slaves who will help their betters rebuild their noble empire. These Eladrin have been manipulating the White Fox Society to keep the human nation weak enough to conquer, and are even now massing their troops and waiting for the perfect moment to strike. How useful these manipulations have been is yet to be seen, because the humans and half elves they've spawned are stronger and more adaptable than the Eladrin realize...

Step 4: Contacts

"Run up the Blacks. We want ta take'em without too much o' a fight, and the living will part with their goods to stay breathing, you'll see."
"Sir! They fly the flag of Coralton!"
"Coralton!? Shaliwyn's black teat. Change of plans, then. Run up the Reds! No Quarter!"
--Capt'n "Black Jacques" Maloy, final command to his crew before his death.

Contacts
1) The Feywild remnants of Avaleron, once a mighty eladrin empire, are the most important allies Coralton has. The former nation lies just across the Veil in the same geological area that Coralton occupies, which means that merchants wishing to trade in the exotic goods of another plane just have to get through that barrier to get their wares to a whole new world, and vice versa. This makes trading with the eladrin very profitable for the residents of Coralton, who take the goods that are considered mundane to the fey and turn fantastic profits to the rest of the world, which sees such "mundane" items as otherworldly marvels.
2) Another strong trading partner is Baradan, with which Coralton has a mutual defense pact. Baradan, which shares Coralton's eastern border, is a Theocracy dedicated to Terak Corean, the god of justice, and the Paladin Knights of Baradan are one of the most feared martial orders in the region, despite numbering only a few thousand members. Baradan, however, is fighting a war on two fronts: one with the magical nation of Corsasia, which has been an enemy of Baradan's since before the two were provinces of Kelsenon, and with The Army of Ten Thousand Fangs, composed of hobgoblins who have enslaved dragons and have designs of carving out an empire for their race.
3) A third strong ally of Coralton's is Deepwater, across the Argius Sea. Deepwater was once the most important port of the Kelsenon Empire, but it was mostly destroyed during the Hundred Years' Chaos. It was resettled and opened again to trade, but by then the Empire had collapsed, and Deepwater had to survive on its own. Coralton has long since supplanted Deepwater as the most important port in the region, but it remains a vital tradeway and a gateway to the former lands of Kelsenon.
4) The "pirate nation" of the Scorpion Isles are havens for criminals and scum of all sorts. Rulled from a city called Skullport, these vicious buccaneers use the dangerous shoal-filled waters as a base of operations. The most notorious Pirate Lord, a tiefling known only as "The Hellbeard," sails out of Skullport raiding Coralton and Calyeron merchant ships. Legends say that The Hellbeard is a descendant of the pirate lord who ruled Coral Town during the Hundred Years' Chaos, and that his hatred for the city stems from this familial link.
5) Calyeron is a rival port that lies on Coralton's northern border, just across the Gash from Notre Dame. It is a rival trading power, ruled by a corrupt monarch who only cares about satiating his immense greed and the even more corrupt nobles and merchants who support his reign. Coralton once occupied Calyeron by force to end a series of trade wars, and the citizens have never forgiven their southern neighbors for the occupation. Calyeron has not openly warred with Coralton since losing the Trade Wars, but they do everything else in their power to sting their rival, including issuing Letters of Marque to bandits and pirates willing to strike at Coralton interests. Owning a Calyeron Letter of Marque is a hanging offense in Coralton.

FF6, it's comments like that make me want to post more characters.
So I am. Hopefully everyone will forgive you. :D

Here's a PC no one will ever let me play. Fingers crossed, though.

Zimri, male tiefling Warlord, Evil.

You know, I'm not seeing how he's evil. Rigid militaristic attitude and discipline, yes. Expects his men to follow orders without questions, yes. Has no care for the enemy, yes. Evil? I'm not seeing it. I would think more unaligned, since he only cares about gaining prestige by commanding men. He actually cares for his men. He wants them to survive (or so it seems).
An excellent point. The core of the character is a challenge to the way evil is often depicted. I wanted to show how it's more than an excuse to be lazy, or megalomaniacal. In previous editions, he'd be LE.

First of all, the guy's not stupid. He's not going to murder a sandwich vendor to get a free lunch. The sandwich vendor's life is still meaningless to him.
Second, he cares about success. Whether his opponents are good or evil, he wants to inflict the most severe damage possible. It's not that he cares about his men/allies, so much as he wants their full potential used.

At some point, he's left any semblance of morality behind. Sacrificing good civilians to evil humanoids is not something an unaligned character would do. And he really is a faithful devil-worshipper. He'd have very little objection to using blackmail or assassination to get ahead, if he saw this as the most effective method. Note that he will likely act against the cult's coup attempt, since it is an illegitimate seizure of power.

I hadn't seen your comment on your sergeant when I wrote this up. That's irony, it is. And thank you for the feedback.
An excellent point. The core of the character is a challenge to the way evil is often depicted. I wanted to show how it's more than an excuse to be lazy, or megalomaniacal. In previous editions, he'd be LE.

First of all, the guy's not stupid. He's not going to murder a sandwich vendor to get a free lunch. The sandwich vendor's life is still meaningless to him.
Second, he cares about success. Whether his opponents are good or evil, he wants to inflict the most severe damage possible. It's not that he cares about his men/allies, so much as he wants their full potential used.

At some point, he's left any semblance of morality behind. Sacrificing good civilians to evil humanoids is not something an unaligned character would do. And he really is a faithful devil-worshipper. He'd have very little objection to using blackmail or assassination to get ahead, if he saw this as the most effective method. Note that he will likely act against the cult's coup attempt, since it is an illegitimate seizure of power.

I hadn't seen your comment on your sergeant when I wrote this up. That's irony, it is. And thank you for the feedback.

Lol. Irony indeed. I missed the part about him letting loose hobgobo's on innocent civilians. Since his version was different than the court's, I wasn't sure which one was true.

All in all, though, I don't think it's evil to completely destroy every aspect of your enemy, or taking tactical advantage of an area they left undefended (their home village), but it would definately be evil if he took in wounded enemy as prisoners, and then had them killed (like in The Patriot.

Now that you've added a bit about him, I can definately see the evil in him, but that part didn't portray well into your ten-minute background. Still, excellent character idea. He'd be interesting to play with one of my warlocks. :D
Here is some background information on the campaign area, inspired by the FRCG.

The Ten-Minute Background of The Republic of Coralton

Wow! That's one heck of a way to show that the ten-minute background can be used for anything!
Wow! That's one heck of a way to show that the ten-minute background can be used for anything!

I try my best. :D

I find this background really interesting, and although it could be reinforced better, I can see how you are warping the definition of evil somewhat - he's not so much classically "evil" as completely and utterly amoral. (He isn't going to go around eating babies, but if there were some concrete benefit from it? Well...pass the salt.)

One thing though, by the tenets he seems to follow, I would have thought his loyalties would have fallen more to Bane than Asmodeous. Am I missing something (or perhaps just misremembering Asmodeous's commandments?)

The character's attitude reminds me of a character from something else but I can't for the life of me figure out who...he was cool and badass, that's all I remember...Oh well.
Well, I'll readily admit it's nonstandard evil. When we do see Evil playing for the other team it's usually in the mold of Mister Hyde, or Belkar from OOTS. Someone ruled by their primal urges who can be dangerous if unleashed on a suitable foe. But I don't think that's the only way to do it.

I found Asmodeus a better fit for a few reasons. For all the tieflings who've turned their back on their infernal heritage and worship human gods, I thought It would be fun to play one who went back to basics. Also, he's an officer, and a very intelligent one. He's capable enough to work outside martial solutions. Asmodeus is playing Chess with the world, whereas Bane might only be playing Risk.

But mostly, I wanted him to be self-sufficient, and Bane would be both too visible and too hierarchical, since he could command any inferior to do his bidding. I see the Asmodian cult as sort of like the Hellfire Club, filled with bored nobles and ruled by a few real dangerous types. Since it's more about ambition than militancy, he can be a member and still pursue his own goals. It also allows me the fun of setting it in a good aligned kingdom. I like having LG and Evil supporting characters, with a Good enemy.

You said certain aspects of my background lack support. I'm not offended, but can you be more specific? I'll fix the original post if I can make it sound purty enough.
Well, I'll readily admit it's nonstandard evil. When we do see Evil playing for the other team it's usually in the mold of Mister Hyde, or Belkar from OOTS. Someone ruled by their primal urges who can be dangerous if unleashed on a suitable foe. But I don't think that's the only way to do it.

I like this approach.

I found Asmodeus a better fit for a few reasons. For all the tieflings who've turned their back on their infernal heritage and worship human gods, I thought It would be fun to play one who went back to basics. Also, he's an officer, and a very intelligent one. He's capable enough to work outside martial solutions. Asmodeus is playing Chess with the world, whereas Bane might only be playing Risk.

But mostly, I wanted him to be self-sufficient, and Bane would be both too visible and too hierarchical, since he could command any inferior to do his bidding. I see the Asmodian cult as sort of like the Hellfire Club, filled with bored nobles and ruled by a few real dangerous types. Since it's more about ambition than militancy, he can be a member and still pursue his own goals. It also allows me the fun of setting it in a good aligned kingdom. I like having LG and Evil supporting characters, with a Good enemy.

Ooooh. I see - good explaination. I see where you're coming from now. I agree wholeheartedly.

You said certain aspects of my background lack support. I'm not offended, but can you be more specific? I'll fix the original post if I can make it sound purty enough.

Uum...mostly I was agreeing with Hamster, in that he could be misconstrued as unaligned, but your various explaination have cleared that up alot.
Uum...mostly I was agreeing with Hamster, in that he could be misconstrued as unaligned, but your various explaination have cleared that up alot.

Elfstar,

This is what I was saying. Your ten-minute background shouldn't really need any more explaining outside of itself. (Trying to give contructive criticism).

Don't get me wrong, I love the character concept. You just need to try to contain your entire concept within the TMB. Sometimes, that can make for a long TMB, like one of my previous, but that's ok. It also makes for a good read. :D Your's is already a good read, there's just some ambiguity to it.
I think we're on the same page. I'd like it to be self-contained enough to be inspiring to a DM, if I ever hand it in.

Because I'm verbose, I sometimes overcompensate by leaving some things vague. Would it be too much to ask for a list of points you'd like to see adressed? I doubt I need to include all the material in my subsequent posts.
I notice Audric seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle...

Anyhoo, I thought I'd post an example of a TMB written up by one of my players. I've edited the post a little for grammar's sake (not all my players are English Majors like I am). I've also posted some notes in italiacs. Presenting our party's wizard, Xat!

The Ten Minute Background of Xat, Changeling Wizard

Step 1: Key Elements

"You who rests in flame, char all those that would stand against us. Scorching burst!"

Background
1) Xat is a changeling (doppelgangers with the fey origin--Stray), which makes him very suspicious and narrow-minded about other races because:
2) He grew up in the capitol city of Avaleron, Minas Elendrii. This is a very dangerous place for changelings (who are hunted in my campaign--Stray), which has caused Xat to hate persecution of any kind though he is still a little bit racist. Xat’s older brother, Lim, formed an underground movement that consists of over two dozen changelings.
3) Because of the nature of the city he grew up in, magic was everywhere. Having acquired a spell compendium one day, Xat took as a quick study to self taught magic, giving his spells a personal twist. Over many years Xat found the study of magic quite intriguing and looked for more books, but found that it was just knowledge that he enjoyed. With knowledge came the power for him to deceive his enemies making his world just a little bit safer.
4) Not everything was safe though as the enclave of changelings was one day found and attacked by the Eladrin police force, which imprisoned, brandied, and executed many changelings. Very few escaped with their safety and body intact.
5) Ever since that day, (3 years from current year) when his brother was killed, Xat desired to continue on his brothers dream and create a safe haven for all changelings to come to. After wandering the Feywild for 1½ years Xat decided to move to the world, where it is safer, to make money, to buy land, to fulfill his brothers dream.

"Why can't everyone live together harmoniously. Except for those damned racist Eladrin."

Goals
1) I would like to accomplish the goal of creating a changeling haven somehow. Whether its just creating a district in a town where changelings aren’t bothered or if its actually creating a self sustaining village somewhere. (I prefer the second but don’t see it as likely as the first)
2) It would be fun to discover that his brother wasn't actually killed (see secrets) and finding him. (I can’t think of a good one right now so this is what I’m putting but will probably change)
3) Xat feels a kinship to any other changeling he meets, for where he grew up they needed each other and they were family. He is racist but hates persecution at the same time. I hope one day he can see through all that and judge people for who they are not what they are, though he tries to do that now but his vision can be hazy. (This is more a character development goal, it also helps define the character a little more. Also so that when I do start heading towards the “don’t persecute” angle you don’t think it out of character.)

"Secrets? Of course I have secrets, don't you?"

Show
1) Xat is a changeling, which is a truth he doesn’t share to anyone. This is his most important secret because he thinks if anyone finds out him and Bee will be "burned at the stake" like so many others have. Because of this and his activity in keeping other changelings safe he is a wanted criminal by the Eladrin, for his crimes against elves. (what ever that’s supposed to mean.)
2) Lim, Xat’s brother, is actually alive. At the last moment before the Eladrin police force barged in someone took his face and forced him out to safety. That was 3 years ago. Now Lim still runs an underground movement meant to rescue imprisoned/marked changelings, remove their magical scars and smuggle them into the world for safety. (Like an underground railroad sort of deal)
Show
3) (This one is the DM's secret, so don't go spoiling things for me, guys!) Lim was actually working for the Eladrin when the enclave was attacked. He, in fact, betrayed the changelings to the Eladrin. He didn't have much choice...his own family was (and still is) being held hostage somewhere in Minas Elendrii. The "Faceless Underground" he runs is actually an elaborate Eladrin trap that lures in changelings then hands them over to the Eladrin who have infiltrated the White Fox Society, which promptly butchers them. Lim hates what he's been forced to become, but he cannot see any way out of his predicament that won't end with all that he loves slaughtered in the end.

Step 4: People I know

"Bee? Her and I have a very unique, very open relationship."

Contacts
1) Lim is Xat’s older brother by 3 years, he is 26 as of current campaign year. Both of their parents were changelings who lived as Eladrin in the capitol city. They were both well liked and helpful in their community. Many people liked them until one day they were caught in a changeling hunt. Everyone’s tunes changed the moment they found out they were changelings, and they were executed 9 years ago. Their parents sacrificed themselves to save Lim and Xat. Since that day, Lim has taken care of Xat. It didn’t take Lim long to create the underground safety for the other changelings. While Xat thinks Lim is dead he still tries to uphold his brothers ideals of a world where people can be safe being what they are, so he seeks to create a safe haven for changelings.

Lim has strong connections in the underground that even Xat doesn’t know about. If Xat discovers Lim is alive he can assist him with the safe transit of changelings, knowledge, and other random assortments of other things. While Lim has deep connections he can’t always pull through. (he may be a white fox member as a recent development)

2) Bee was rescued be Xat and Lim 8 years ago. When Bee and her mother came to Minas Elenrii she was only 10. They weren’t aware of the level of persecution and were quickly caught walking the streets. Xat and Lim attempted a rescue from the police force but Bee’s mother was killed during the process. Since that day she was adopted into the family of changelings. Because of the nature of her rescue she clung to Xat and became very close. Over the 5 years they got to know each other living in the enclave Bee didn’t want to hold back Xat so she became strong for him. They came to the world together, her wanting to help Xat complete his goal. Since she grew up Xat and her have gotten even closer, and fell in love.

She helps Xat earn the money he wants to collect to create his safe haven and is also a partner in crime. They are almost always together, so he is never alone.

3) (This is my own addition, based on campaign events) Doctor Gerard LeVaine is a tiefling who has hired Xat and Bee to perform spying missions for him on irregular occasions. Xat does not trust Gerard much, especially in light of recent events in the city. However, he is driven by the desire to acquire knowledge, and Gerard has many secrets that Xat would give much to know. Since he has learned that Gerard is actually a necromancer, his desire to study some of the doctors spells has only grown more intense. This could lead him down a very dark path.

Step 5: Memories (Given to me by the player after reading other backgrounds)

Memories
1) I remember the day when my parents were slaughtered. It seemed like any other evening. We all sat down for dinner after preparing knowing father would be home any moment. This night though he seemed troubled when he entered the house. He only yelled two words to my mother "They know.". At that point I didn't quite understand what that meant but I quickly learned. My mother huddled Lim and I into a small crawl space a moved the table in front of it. She said to both of us "Stay hidden and stay quite. We love you very much.". Within moments of that we heard a roaring crowd from outside. There was a loud crash on the front door. I heard my father try to speak, followed by what I now know to be the sound of a sword passing through flesh, followed by my mother screaming. The leader of the attack than made some rude mention about their birth appearance and left them just lying there.

2) That fateful tragic day when I met Bee. Lim and I had just went down to the market to "acquire" some food for us and some of the others in the enclave. We were shocked to see this woman and her daughter come into the market with gray skin, white hair, and featureless faces. People were already shouting for the guards before we could tell them to disguise themselves. The guards were storming down to the market and we ran out to help them get away. The moment they saw us "resisting arrest" they let fly a few bolts. Unfortunately they mother was hit in the throat by one as the little girl screamed out to her. All we could do was grab the girl and run at that point.

3) It was sunset, and everyone was coming back to the hideout. By this point our little group of misfits wasn't so little anymore, there were at least two dozen or more changelings. We had no clue that there were so many of us in the city, and these were only the ones that we knew of and didn't have any homes. Everyone was enjoying the meals they had acquired during their day, and was sharing them. My brother and I were in the corner enjoying our dinner when an ominous breeze of leaves blew through the hideout. We both knew any moment now the Eladrin militia would be teleporting in, but before we could warn everyone it was to late. Within seconds they were poring in and with swift strokes of their blades they were cutting us down. Than the head of the guard teleported in. My brother shoved me to the side and told me to get out of here. I grabbed Bee and pulled her towards the exit as many others of us scrambled for exits. I turned around just in time to witness my brother pulling his sword, and going toe to toe with the guard master. That was the last moment I ever saw him.

I notice Audric seems to have gotten lost in the shuffle...

Oops! Sorry - I read it and then forgot to respond! I thought Audric was great - I like the whole "past generation of adventurers you have floating around your campaign. I like also that despite being a past religous man, he is engaging (or trying to) in a very dangerous affair. It occurs to me - it would be really cool to try writing up and playing the adventures of the last generation - Audric, and the dragonborn, and all those guys who've since retired or moved on been killed.

Presenting our party's wizard, Xat!

This was a good background - fits nicely in the world you've prepared. And man! Eladrin in your world are a bunch of Royal ***** holes! I kinda want to play one, just to see how people treat him. :P
Oops! Sorry - I read it and then forgot to respond! I thought Audric was great - I like the whole "past generation of adventurers you have floating around your campaign. I like also that despite being a past religous man, he is engaging (or trying to) in a very dangerous affair. It occurs to me - it would be really cool to try writing up and playing the adventures of the last generation - Audric, and the dragonborn, and all those guys who've since retired or moved on been killed.

It would, but I never got very far when I tried before. I DID get the stuff you see fleshed out, but it also took up a lot of the time that I could have spent writing up stuff for my current generation of players to do. So I just have a general vague idea of what that company of heroes did in the time before the party met them, and not much further at the moment.

This was a good background - fits nicely in the world you've prepared. And man! Eladrin in your world are a bunch of Royal ***** holes! I kinda want to play one, just to see how people treat him. :P

More specifically, the Eladrin Nobilityof a crumbling empire are Royally Screwed Up. The common Eladrin aren't so bad, except for a superiority complex. Also remember that most of the Eladrin dickery is done in the shadows: they may secretly be a race of scheming, manipulative bastards, but publicly they are viewed as aloof, magical, and strangely alluring, making them Villains with Good Publicity, especially in Coralton, which they essentially built behind the scenes in order to have breeding stock loyal to their race. It's like the Angel Ilsington from Neverwhere: they look good on the surface, but open the lid and you'll see something writhing underneath.

It would, but I never got very far when I tried before. I DID get the stuff you see fleshed out, but it also took up a lot of the time that I could have spent writing up stuff for my current generation of players to do. So I just have a general vague idea of what that company of heroes did in the time before the party met them, and not much further at the moment.

More specifically, the Eladrin Nobilityof a crumbling empire are Royally Screwed Up. The common Eladrin aren't so bad, except for a superiority complex. Also remember that most of the Eladrin dickery is done in the shadows: they may secretly be a race of scheming, manipulative bastards, but publicly they are viewed as aloof, magical, and strangely alluring, making them Villains with Good Publicity, especially in Coralton, which they essentially built behind the scenes in order to have breeding stock loyal to their race. It's like the Angel Ilsington from Neverwhere: they look good on the surface, but open the lid and you'll see something writhing underneath.

My god, I just about had a nerdgasm at that plethora of wonderful Lit references. Not only TV Tropes (which is cool enough on its own - gave a great amount of discussion in my Advanced Placement English class that did) but also Neverwhere - one of the best books ever *Ahem* Thanks for bearing with my little fanboy moment there. Seriously though - I really like that take on them - Most fantasies have them as Arrogant bastards who are basically decent underneath - I really like the switch - Out of curiosity, how do their cousins the Elves fit into your world? Do they have a similar viewpoint, or are they a little more decent?
Sign In to post comments