The Ten-Minute Background--Post your characters!

934 posts / 0 new
Last post

hey, thanks for making this guideline. it helps me get my thoughts together and organize. its great. will use in the future. If you want the builds for any of these guys, i'll send them to you so you can play them. is this thread stickied??

Samson Hill

Crunchwise, he's a sixth level goliath warden. Fluffwise, he's a mountain spirit in human form.

Appearance

Nearly seven feet tall and very broad-shouldered, Samson's human manifestation weighs 250 pounds and is every bit as strong as it looks. His skin has a slightly grayish tone to it, and he is bald (though he has moss growing in a couple of spots, hidden under his clothes). He looks somewhat stony, but he has humanlike flesh and blood. His equipment (including a massive, stone warhammer) all appears to be made of natural materials.

Background

1) He is a small mountain called Samson Hill that lies in the middle of a valley. According to local legends, he is the son of two of the tallest mountains that surround the valley. This legend is a slightly anthropomorphized version of the truth.

2) When important events occur in the surrounding valley-particularly those that threaten the natural order-Samson Hill can create a humanoid avatar for himself and seek out the threat in person. This avatar rises from the mud and clay of Samson Hill.

3) The last time Samson awoke was one hundred and ninety years ago, when a great war was fought in the valley. The spirits of men and beasts screaming in pain awoke Samson from his slumber, and he went on a hammer-swinging rampage against the aggressors until things calmed down.

4) In olden days when men worshipped primal spirits rather than gods, Samson Hill was a sacred place for the local tribes. Some of the locals still believe that there is a benevolent nature spirit that inhabits Samson Hill. Some of them leave offerings at the foot of the hill for good luck; these are not as extravagent as the sacrifices Samson once received, but he never really cared for tribute in the first place. Only the Druids of nearby Witchwood Abbey still remember Samson's true nature and the extent of his powers and intelligence.

5) Samson is one of the countless "nature spirits" that primal casters call upon to power their spells. When a druid says "please oh ancient ones of the earth, let stones rise up and obstruct my enemies," Samson is one of the dudes who says "kay," and an encounter power happens. Samson is unusual, however, in his ability to take humanoid form; only a few primal spirits can do this.

Goals

1) In addition to wanting to stop whatever crisis it is that awoke him this time, Samson is nostalgic for the old ways. He misses the chants of shamans and the hum of wild forests around and above him. He would like to see this state of things return. Ultimately, he would like to see the Gods and Primordials reconciled and the world restored to its ancient golden age, but he knows that that's far beyond the scope of his power; its just a pipe dream.

2) I'd like Samson to fall in love with a mortal woman. Might cause an interesting conflict of interests when its time for him to go back asleep, and maybe he could have a half-mortal child who I can play in a future campaign. Might also develop his character into being more virtuous and legitimately benevolent, instead of helping people because of his debt to Pelor.

Secrets

1) Samson guards the peoples of the valley because of an ancient debt he incurred to the god Pelor (well, an exarch of Pelor if you want to get technical; Samson is too smalltime for the sun god himself to deal with). Were it not for that, he wouldn't care all that much if they got enslaved or whatnot.

2) Samson mourns for his father, who died in an avalanche caused by the duel of two mighty beings (an epic eladrin priest of Avandra and a balor sent by Demogorgon) nearly a thousand years ago. The half-ruined volcano that was once Samson's father still fumes and churns to this day.

Friends and Enemy

1) Samson's mother, Mt. Arya, is still around. Like most major mountains, she doesn't talk much, but Samson communicated with her and others of their kind during his long dormant periods. Mount Arya lies at the northern end of the valley. Though she cannot talk to Samson while he is in his humanoid avatar state, she will aid him and his friends by providing food and shelter if they take refuge on her slopes.

2) Grandfather Yamu (human druid), the abbot of Witchwood, knows Samson as one of the invisible spirits of Elsir Valley. He knows also from the druidic order's records that Samson is able to sometimes take human shape, and that he is generally helpful to the mortals of the valley. Samson and Yamu have never met in the flesh, but the two have occasionally conversed during Yamu's daily meditations and have developed a familiarity with one another.

3) Samson once came into conflict with the wolf spirit Yasskr, when yasskr's son (the alpha male of a local dire wolf pack) tried to eat Samson during one of the latter's mortal adventures, and Samson and his companions killed the wolves in self defense. Yasskr never forgets.

Memories and Quirks

1) Samson has heard lots of stories, fables, and jokes over the centuries, told by people who passed him on the road or picked berries on his head. He will tell these to his companions. Most of them are bad.

2) Samson has a magic watering can (reflavored Basket of Sustenance) that he forms along with his humanoid avatar. By pouring some water from it on the ground and performing an elaborate ritual chant and dance, he can cause food to grow, sustaining the avatar's biological needs (and those of any co-adventurers he may be traveling with).

3) Samson is confident to the point of pomposity or foolhardiness, and often slightly insensitive, and can get rather annoying to be around. However, his courage, loyalty, and honor are usually enough to make up for this.

4) Samson Hill is only his most recent name. In ages past, this geographical feature was called other things by earlier inhabitants of the valley. Only Samson and his mother know his true, original birth name (primal spirits are very secretive about their true names).

Design Notes

Samson was inspired by a Native American legend I read, about mountains who could take the forms of men. In the story, two mountains who hated each other and wished to fight created human avatars for themselves and fought a duel. Whenever one of the avatars sustained an injury, the mountain that controlled it suffered a mighty avalanche. The duel ended when one of the humanoid projections was slain, and its mountain reduced to rubble. When the PHB2 and MM2 came out, I really liked the stats for the goliath race, but wasn't fond of their flavor (lol big guys who live in the mountains). I had the idea, then, to use the goliath racial stats to portray a character like those mountain spirits I had read about.

The name "Samson" is taken from the Book of Prophets (or was it Judges? I forget). Samson was supposed to be a legendary warrior of massive size and physical strength. I figured naming a hill-given-flesh after this guy would be fitting, and it sounded like something that people might name a hill.

The Ten-Minute Background

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

Vaedirn Kalassian

1) He is an Half-Elf Ranger Beastmaster, he guide people through the forest of Raven Shire and protect them from danger.

2) He is very silent and prefer to keep secrets for him only.

3) He and his former adventuring band fought against Demon. His party was formed by Drakaran Fistelism a Tiefling Summuning Wizard, Torog Garag a Goliath Earth Warden, Hitomi Tanaka an Human Prescient Bard, Grick' Humtag an Half-Orc Battlesmith Artificer, Glum Darur a Bladeling Isolating Avenger and himself a Ranger Beastmaster with Valsifis his white tiger.

4) His party unband at the end of their journey but Vaedirn was still in love with Tanaka

5) He misses the day when he was with Tanaka and he was on a quest with his friends. He just wants to go back with his group to begin a journey.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game. 

1) He wants to gain glory and be with Tanaka 

2) He will turn evil because of glory lust

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

1) Grig' Humtag is his stepbrother and nobody know it beside him and Grig.

2) Tanaka is kept by the demon lord Asmahel

3) The demon lord turn Tanaka into a succubus

4) The Demon Lord if Drakaran

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

1) Grig' Humtag is his stepbrtoher, he learn the art of the artificer because he had more intellignece than other orc in his tribe. 

2) Drakaran Fistlism power lust is what describes him. He learned summuning magic to have plenty of monster to do his biding and is only with the band because he needs too.

3) Torog Garag his a former Goliath clan champion but when a tribe of ogre attacked he was the last suvivor because Vaedirn, Drakaran and Grig arrived to save him.

4) Hitomi Tanaka met Vaedirn in Val Haven where Vaedirn fall in love with her and she decided to join the party because she liked Vaedirn too.

5) Glum Darur is a Baldeling savec by the group in the elemental chaos plane. They saved him against the Genasi.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

[Example]

1) Vaedirn remember his elf father sword fighting style that he uses now.

2) Vaedirn remember the death of his father by Grig's father.

3) Vaedirn often thinks about Tanaka

[design notes for the example character] 

Vaedirn was born from an Elf father and a Human mother. He learn the fighting style of his father with 2 swords. After his father's death he learned archery in the orc tribe. While hunting in the orc tribe he saved his tiger compagnon. When he was strong enough he left with his stepbrother Grig. They then met drakaran and later saved Torog. While resting in town he met Tanaka. On their journey in the elemental chaos plane they saved Glum. After having killed the former Demon ord the band split. After receiving a message of tanaka saying she was held captive he reunited the group but Drakaran was missing and no one had heard news of him siince the splitting. 

Here's a List of Ten-Minute Backgrounds!

Kanatash Lunastre 

A Devoted Cleric of Oghma

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged!

1) A strong young man of average height, Kanatash is physically unremarkable with the exception of his cleanly shaven head and stark blue eyes. 

2)A traveling scion of Oghma, Kanatash seeks knowledge in any form.  He holds innovation and the gathering of knowledge to be the holiest of pursuits and scorns liars.

3)The young man is noble and strong, but has a rebellious streak and would do anything to save one oppressed by tyranny. 

4)Raised in the Impultir region, the cleric is a massive humanitarian, a trait brought on by watching the suffering of his fellow citizens. 

5)Seeing his city reduced to nothingness and watching helplessly as the worship of demons spread throughout, he searches for a means to save his city from the bonds of slavery given by the ruling class and exercise the demonic practices within its walls.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character. At least one of these goals should be one that the character has, while another should be one that you, as a player, want to see developed over the course of the game.

1) He wants bring his home city back from the brink of collapse.

2) As a character, he possesses a massive love for knowledge and the truth (making him akin to a sanctified librarian, if anything) and despises lies in any form.  I believe that this will eventually lead to him challenging champions of Cyric and some of the Demon Lords upon higher levels.

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character. One is a secret the character knows, one is a secret that involves him but that he is not actually aware of yet. This will help me in creating plots that center around your character. I will also be creating a third secret which you as a player will not be aware of, so expect some surprises!

1) His mother died at childbirth, leaving him a ward of the temple of Oghma and a fanatical devotee of the Lord of Knowledge.  The depths of his devotion and fanaticism are as of yet unknown to his partners, but as a younger man he was ousted from his homeland for enticing a rebellion against his leaders. 

2) Unknown to him, his birth coincided with the death of King Imbrar II, king of Impultir and bringing forth the tyranny and spread of demon worship throughout the region.

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character. Two of them are friendly to the character, one is hostile. If you like, you can include an enemy of yours here as well, so I have an instant NPC nemesis to throw at you.

1) Maccus- a Longtooth Shifter Barbarian, the weapon-laden warrior seeks to prove his usefulness to the cleric by serving as his bodyguard.  Born of a union between an elf and a shifter, the half breed was never accepted by the elven community in which he was raised.  He sees the act of protecting Kanatash as the first really important thing that he's ever done in his life.

2) Thatari Lunastre- he raised Kanatash within the temple, serving as an interim father figure to the young lad.  He taught him an intense hatred of lies and deception and imparted upon him all of his morals.  Attacked during the botched rebellion, he is believed dead.

3)The Council of Impultir wishes to see him dead, they see his continued survival as a disgrace to their power.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. They don't have to be elaborate, but they should provide some context and flavor.

1) Despite hating lies in any form, Kanatash is extremely gullible and will readily believe the best in everyone.

2) He carries a small, ornate scroll decorated in the teachings of the Namers of Oghma.  Between adventures, Kanatash can be seen writing on the scroll, recording all of the new information he has learned over the course of the quest. The recording of the adventure is part habit and part ritual, the cleric will not allow any interruptions or distraction as he records the days deeds.

3) He is deeply scarred by the failure of the attempted upheaval and the death of his mentor.   He has nightmares of both frequently and is notably the only thing that he doesn't record in his writings.

Corric Weatherbie Crossler: Half-Elven Lawyer, Diplomat, and Fey Pact Warlock.

1) Corric, a handsome and charismatic Half-Elf, once lived a simple but socially decadent life of lawmaking, scholarly pursuits, and a dabbling interest in Arcane lore and magic whilst finishing his apprenticeship under his human father, Jacob.

2) Mistook the wanderlust and disconnection experienced by his race as an innate, inborn feeling of supremacy over normal people, supported and butressed by his remarkable social skills and inflated sense of intellect.

3) Began to research the unknown half of his past relating to his mother; as a result, became intensely interested in the Feywild, studied, and eventually came into contact with a greater Ghale of the realm, using his litigation and diplomatic skills to earn him arcane power and a promised seat at the head of an Eladrin court as long as he was willing to prove himself... and repay the powerful Fey spirit a favor of her choosing, when she chooses.

4) Corric has gone somewhat power hungry, obsessing over his ascendance to Fey courtly royalty and the titles and greatness that follow. As a result, he's made deals with the mad creatures that live beyond the Stars in order to hedge his bets... and has already begun preliminary talks and discussion with some of the more unsavory, otherworldly forces possibly willing to make deals for greater power.

5) Corric is about 5'9", and dresses in low-key, elegant tailoring when not adventuring. As of late, however, he has started to incorperate the flashier, brighter, colorfol designs of Eladrin dress and clothing into his repetoir as new pacts and otherworldly forces influence his thought process, tastes, and view on culture.

1) He wants to ascend to greatness atypical of the standard adventurer, and believes his bloodline can be traced back to courtly fey origins.

2) Corric is, at heart, a lawyer and a litigator... but that doesn't mean he minds breaking laws if nobody realizes it, nor does he refrain from studying greater sources of arcane might, especially if he believes either one will bring him closer to what he sees as his destiny. I want him to become either a sneakier, stealthy character (perhaps multiclassing into rogue?) or someone who can focus more on his teleportation and magic use (perhaps multiclassing into Wizard). I want to see Corric optimize as a PC while retaining the things that make him what I've envisioned him in my head.

1) Corric has already worked out pacts with the things that live behind the Stars, and essentially sacrifices those he attacks with his Star pact powers to his "benefactors" to maintain a hold on the power and mystic foresight they allow him.

2) Corric's name has recently thrown about the social circles of The Club, a mysterious organization of decadent, plane-travelling "Self-accomplished gentlemen" who think that Corric's refined speech, ardent self-advocacy, and expensive and decadent tastes might warrant him an invitation if he continues to accumulate greatness and power as he has been.

1) Jacob Crossler: Corric's father, a diplomat and emissary to Elven lands who resides in the major city where Corric was born and raised before setting out on the life of an adventurer. Taught his son the different diplomatic procedures, how to deal with Law, raised Corric on his own. Does not approve of Corric's lack of ethics or occasional, casual apathy towards morality that he seems to be slipping ever closer to.

2) Athin McAlythe: Human Earthsoul Warden, close friend and advisor to Corric. Attempts to be the "angel" side of his decisions, as opposed to all the "devils" that Corric appears to be making deals with lately. One of his first adventuring companions, much more reserved and contemplative than Corrric's active and plotting style.

3) To Asmodeus, broken deals are broken deals. Corric believes he slipped out of an obligation due to a loophole; the denizens of the Nine Hells believe he's trying to weasel his way out of a Faustian bargain, and are willing to collect on the debt however they can before Corric ascends to an Eladrin throne and is beyond the reach of their influence.

1) Corric wears classy but eccentric dress; great blue overcoats, tricorn hats with goggles he doesn't quite know how to use, top hats with swirls all over the brims that match a suit with surprisingly long coattails.

2) Corric is extremely proud of his father's law firm, which he still shares a partnership with regardless of his absenteeism in the face of adventuring, not to mention two namesakes: Crossler, Weatherbie and Crossler.

3) Corric often slips into bouts of delerium and madness associated with the pacts he has made. Sometimes he'll see split-second visions of the Feywild layered over the Prime, like a mirror; other times he will awake from terrible, maddening dreams involving every crater of the moon opening like an eye, calling his name.

4) Due to the deal he slipped out of involving an alliance with the residents of the Nine Hells, his familiar - an infernal Book Imp - is perpetually pissed at him, and has absolutely no problem making its opinion known in public.

Meva Lawlight

1) She is the child of the prison warden and has been taken on rounds even in a sling, watching and listening all the time

2) She is pretty in the "too innocent" sort of way that makes her armor almost a child in a costume playing pretend.

3) Her tasks and jobs always put her dangerously close ot the prison element, scrubbing floors a foot away from prison doors and moping up after riots before the blood has even had time to dry. Often this leads her to hear things no child should have to hear, but also some things no one would ever say if an adult was in ear shot.

4) Her raven black hair serves as a stark contrast to the mirror shined platemail on her shoulders. And servs as a reflection that the shining walls of the prison still carry living people within, not just numbers and faceless masses.

5)  Even though she is just a child, her mind is still quite cunning. Learning the prison phrases and watching the priosoners for their subtle hints that even they are not aware of, their tells that let her know when somethingbad is about to happen in the prison.

1)Having completed her apprenticeship under her mothers tutalage, she strikes out now upon her own to lay forth the law to every inch of the city.

2) I want her to realize there is a place for law, and times when the law needed is no law at all.

1) She knows she is being conditioned for something, she suspects it will be for taking over as the warden once she is of age.

2) Her mother actualy put her in the middle of the criminals to develop her skills of a theif without becoming one herself, with an open ear and eye immersed in the criminal activities, she is being forced to have a prison life from the other side of the bars and learn their ways from a slightly detached position.

1) Mara Lawlight is her mother and warden in word and deed. Her first and foremost position is to the prison, having a child was simply an extension of her will to make sure the prison remained under a lawlight hand. Personaly she can-not figure out where the grace of the gods came to her child but will use it to the best of her ability to keep the prison in line and perhaps the divine protection will keep her child safe from the world outside.

2) Niel "no-thumbs" is a halfling bard who lost a thumb for each time he tried to steal from royalty, he insists the only thing he was stealing from them was no earthly treasure. She is still not sure what he means by that but he has always kept an eye out for her in the prisons and once even took a blade to the belly for her, he claims it was to shave a decade off his prison sentence.

3) There is a person in the prisons that no one crosses, her name is "Madam" nothing more or less. She is a drow and she is goregous. She rules the womens wing of the prison and has taken a personal intrest in ruining the life of the child of the warden just to get back at the one who keeps her behind bars. With Meva leaving the prison, she can now stretch out her web and strike from the alleys for her vengance.

1) Meva recalls every single step of the prison, having scrubbed each stone to an alabaster white has burned a map into her mind.

2) Meva spends one hour every day grooming from head to toe on herself then another hour on her armor to keep it in peak condition, her sword gets the least attention with a scrape of a whetstone and a rub of oiled cloth to each side.

3)  She remembers her marches with her mother, even from an infant she remembers being carried from one cell block to the other, content in her mothers arms even as she would funnel the primal powers to lay order upon a riot.

Shalus Fiendbane, Shifter Avenger,

Step 1:

1. A gruff shifter whose civility and calm, controlled demeanour marks him out among his folk.

2. Reserved but exudes confidence; keeps a keen ear out for local rumours and allegiances, in order to keep his superiors informed on events.

3. Raised as an orphan among humans rather than his fellow shifters, worked in a mercenary company for a few years and earned himself a ruthless reputation before a sudden retirement. He is currently best known for his great capacity for ale, and his former successes have vanished from popular memory through his habits.

4. Is very quiet about his personal life, but he is honest, honourable and will willingly risk his life for his friends. His most notable friend is probably the local smith Derrac Black, who was a member of his old mercenary band.

5. Despite his apparent retirement, he often leaves his home town for several weeks if not months at a time, for little apparent reason (see secrets).

Step 2:

1. I think Shalus should eventually reunite with his own people and possibly his parents and/or a sibling, thus awakening the mysteries behind his culture and background.

2. Perhaps he should eventually become the leader of his secret order, The Order of Kelemvor's Will.

Step 3:

1. Shalus' true allegiance lies with the Order of Kelemvor's Will, a highly secret order whose agents protect or remove certain figures from the realms. Shalus is an influential figure among the rank and file of the Order, and is one of their best agents.  

2. Shalus is actually descended from the famed Shifter warrior Klamus the Stalker, who generations ago ascended to Godhood to watch over all his people, especially those of his own lineage.

Step 4:

1. Derrac Black, the Hylurif's major metal-smith, and former mercenary partner of Shalus'. These pair share a bond forged in battle and in peace, and each would gladly sacrifice himself for the other, though they do disagree on some occasions.

2. Sera Briarthorn, a gravekeeper and member of the Order in the city of Rendor Peak. Shalus first recruited Sera into the Order, and despite their vast age gap, they both feel very deeply for one another, and though neither would admit love to the other, they both secretly yearn for something more than mere friendship...

3. Ornha Quaylys, an elf sorcerer and former companion during Shalus' mercenary years. During a raid on a necromancer's stronghold in the Asgard mountains, Ornha was trapped as the dungeon collapsed around him and was left for dead by Shalus and his other companions. After years with only the spiders and the darkness for company, Ornha went mad, and was contacted by the imprisoned god Cyric, who taught him great necromantic powers. He now seeks to destroy Shalus and any trace of his existence forever.

Step 5:

1. Shalus remembers vividly his childhood, when he was bullied by many in the town for his ugly, beast-like features and for his animalistic temper.

2. The only memory from his life before his abandonment by his parents is of a hunting lesson with his father, in which he can vaguely remember his father mentioning a relation whose hunting was unsurpassed.

3. Shalus remembers when he met Sera for the first time, a street urchin starving in a back alley. He remembers well how fragile she looked, and vowed never to let any harm come to her.

Design Notes: I originally dreamt up this character as a companion, almost a bodyguard to the adventure's main protagonist, under secret orders from the Order of Kelemvor's Will to protect him at all costs. Cyric's inclusion within the tale also led me to further develop Shalus as a primary character, with a destiny to lead the Order to war against an escaped Cyric and his servants, who wished to reinstate Cyric as God of Death over Kelemvor. This would hopefully lead to a climatic battle between Ornha, serving Cyric, and Shalus, serving Kelemvor, and perhaps the two men could reconcile before one or another's demise.  

Rhiga (female Dragonborn rogue, unaligned)

Step One

1. She is a Dragonborn rogue, born to a single mother. Unusual for a Dragonborn, she doesn't know who her father is, and, neither does her mother. Her father was a Dragonborn fighter; Rhiga's mother only saw him once.

2. Standing at an average height for a Dragonborn female, Rhiga has inheirited her mother's good looks and agility, with a similar shade of brownish skin and yellow eyes. She rarely wears more than her blue top and loincloth, but is perfectly comfortable out of doors, having been used to walking long distances ever since she could walk. Her body is lithe and well-toned.

3. Rhiga and her mother lived on the move through a warm region of the world, acting as dancers at various inns and taverns. A very vivacious female, Rhiga is still in the first few years of her adulthood, and is every bit the dancer her mother is. Money was always tight, though.

4. Having left her parents a few years back, Rhiga has been revelling in her newfound independence, although she steals from the rich in order to make ends meet on more than one occassion. Once, Rhiga was robbed by some thugs. Since that incident, she has learned some unarmed combat, but relies on a dagger and, to a lesser extent her breath weapon in combat. She is not above using fangs and claw in combat.

5. A firey girl, Rhiga is fun and lively, but she is easilt bored and has a bit of a temper. Impulsive by nature, she more than occassionally says and does things she regrets. So far, she has not felt the need to be "tied down" to any male for an extended period of time, but she enjoys cavorting with them.

6. Being relatively poor off, Rhiga resents a showy display of wealth in her presence, and will usually target the most ostentatious rich for theft.

Step Two

1. Rhiga wants to gain comfort and security in her life, but does not wish to surrender one iota of her freedom in doing so.

2. I want to develop her rogue skills along the lines of dexterity... an artful dodger build.

Step Three

1. Rhiga knows more unarmed combat skill than she lets on, and is stronger than her light frame would suggest.

2. Her father was a high-ranking officer serving in a mixed-race army in the employ of the lord of a major city.

Step Four

1. Rhiga's mother is named Vaeri. She was a dancer who ran away from her mother, who was a ranger. Tired of listening to her mother's code of honor, which was rigid even for a Dragonborn, she left to become a traveling dancer.

2. Adykon, who is a Dragonborn like herself and a mercenary. They each travel around the countryside, but rarely together. He enjoys watching her dance, and since they operate in the same area at present time, they sometimes see each other.

3. Arcantas is an evil wizard who was once robbed by Rhiga. He only noticed the theft long after she had left his tower.

Step Five

1. Rhiga remembers her mother's lesson; always look out for oneself first, and don't sacrifice your happiness for anyone else. This has given Rhiga a very lax attitude.

2. A quirk of hers is that she bounces up and down when very happy.

3. She also remembers the dispossession of her race, seeing how every other race in the area enjoys land ownership, stable families, and a sense of belonging; keeping in mind that her race lost its empire, its families usually split after a few years, and that the Dragonborn have no place to call their own.

Here's a character I might not get to actually play, since the group I've been emailing to try and set up hasn't got back with me (I'm not sure why this text seems to be stuck in bold mode, BTW).   Bear with me if this is lame since it's my first attempt at a totally self-created character( though I've played from pre-existing sheets before), and I'm a very visual rather than verbal thinker (I actually made up the character to match an image in my head, which I hope to finish as an ink-and-watercolor soon, probably after Thanksgiving).  I suppose some might object to having an obvious punk chick in a medieval fantasy setting, and in other ways she might be too much of a stock character, but I think she'd be fun to play.

Anarchy Gulbahar, Unaligned Tiefling Rogue

1. Raised as a semi-feral orphan in a large city, she was partially protected during this time by a motherly half-elven tavernkeeper who taught her to use humor to defuse her own rage as well as that of others, and provided her a source of semi-honest income as a juggler and comedienne.

2. She's rather pretty and might almost be mistaken for an elf at first glance, were it not for her long, black, lyre-shaped horns, gleaming golden eyes, and blazing scarlet mohawk, braided with beads at the back end.  She has a black-and-red striped tail which she is apt to lash or fidget between her fingers in moments of abstraction, and wears a single small silver piercing ring in the left side of her lower lip, as well as others in her ears.

3.  She has a severe mistrust bordering on outright hostility of all authority figures and tends to be blinded to the good in those she sees as overly priveleged.

4. Her moral views are highly pragmatic and capricious at best, however she does tend to feel sympathy towards social misfits and the poor.

5. Though she'd hate to admit it, she's actually very inquisitive and curious about intellectual matters and how magic works [ooc---potential for Multiclassing or reworking the character as a hybrid here]

Hmm...Not really sure about this.  I suspect she'd enjoy bringing about an anti-government rebellion somewhere.   I'd just like to observe her development organically, really.

1. As a child, she was subject to extreme fits of rage that left both her and those unlucky enough to be present both physically and mentally scarred.  She secretly has a great fear of ever returning to that state of mind.

2.  Not really sure about this one.  Perhaps some of her real family are actually alive and could be worked into an exciting story of some kind?  Or she might unknowingly have stumbled across damaging evidence about a powerful personage.

Can't think of much here.  The tavernkeeper, of course, and perhaps she might have a boyfriend or admirer.  For an enemy, she could easily have ticked off the guard captain, or for more life-threatening possibilities, a crime boss.

1. Her propensity to see humor in otherwise dark situations, while helpful to maintaining her own sanity, often leads to misunderstandings, since after all most people expect a tiefling to be malicious and don't see what's so funny.

2. She remembers feeling her imagination strangely sparked by the strange lettering and illustrations in some books in a satchel she once stole.

3. She has an odd interest in creatures such as goats which have horns similar to hers, and shows an uncharacterstic childlike delight in their presence, as some humans do with horses and ponies.

http://ladyashmire.deviantart.com/

Jade Redfern, Half-Orc Paladin of Bahamut

1) The child of ****, her mother was a peasant girl captured by orcs, her father one of the orc raiders.
2) Her step-father is the cleric who led the war party that defeated the orcs and liberated the prisoners. He fell in love with her mother and swore a solemn oath to protect her child.
3) Jade stands 6'1" and was taller than anyone else in her adoptive village.
4) She was sent to a larger temple to study to become a Paladin of Bahamut, where she found the fighting easy, but her personal relationship with Bahamut to be more challenging.
5) She's quite pretty for a half-orc, with broad features and tiny tusks that jut up and give her a slight underbite.

1) Jade seeks to prove herself as good as any human, after the years of being teased for her mixed blood heritage by the other children in the village where she grew up.

2) When her father promised to protect her, the bargain was sealed by Bahamut. Her father tells her this means that she has an important role to play in his greater plan.

1) She does her best to hide it, but she strugles with her inner orcish nature. She's posessed of a fiery temper, no matter how hard the priests and other paladins tried to burn that out of her with hard work and long hours of prayer. She's afraid her heritage will bite her one day.

2) Her biological father was not one of the orcs killed by the rescuers, and in fact is still out there, leading bands of raiders against human, halfling and elven settlements to this day.

1) Corwin Redfern - Jade's father and long time mentor. He still lives with her mother, Eve, in the village where she grew up, where he runs the temple to Bahamut.

2) Gavin Maastricht - the paladin under whom Jade trained at the larger temple. He is a second father figure to her, and levied on her behalf to be able to focus her attention on the greatsword, at the expense of her ability to use a shield. He also has worked with her in the past on her temper issues, as well as her ability to get in touch with the will of Bahamut.

3) Tobias Greenford - a young man from her village. He was always quick to taunt Jade, and mocked her heritage. He was passed over for a role as a Paladin and has harbored a grudge against Jade for it ever since. He is also quietly smitten with her, and the conflict of these two situations makes his interactions with her uncertain.

1) Jade is very innocent and naive. Anything remotely bawdy or off-color will make her blush furiously.

2) Hating that she is different from the humans in her village, Jade took to pursing her lips just enough to make her tiny tusks hidden from view. She still does this in uncertain or unfamiliar company, and it can make her look like she is pouting. It's a nervous tic.

3) Young, fresh and naive, Jade is utterly unfamiliar with defeat in combat. She's sure that there's a solution for everything, and is blindly optimistic. The only darkness in her life are her concerns about her temper and her faith, both of which she shoves down deep to avoid anyone else seeing.

html_removed html_removed

Eglath the Strong, Goliath Barbarian

Eglath the Goliath (5 Basic Concepts)
1 - Eglath is the second son of the great Chieftain Aurak the Mighty, leader of the strongest Goliath tribe anywhere near Luskan.
2 - As the son of the Chieftain, Eglath has throughout his life been competing for the right to succeed his father as leader of the tribe. This is a sacred competition however, and neither him nor his brothers feel any ill will towards each other.
3 - As tradition dictates, each son of the Chieftain is to travel the world and grow strong on their own, away from their people, and each son has chosen their own path: Vimak, the oldest, channels the spirits of the world to become an unkillable defender of his people. Kavaki, the third son, follows the spirits and lets them flow through him to lead his people in spirit. Kag, the youngest, uses a bow and arrow to ensure his people will always have food. Eglath walks the path of the wrathful destroyer, to further the greatness of his people in combat. When their father dies, all sons who feel ready will return to the tribe and fight each other and any challengers for the right to rule. Those who do not return have until the day they become the same age as the oldest son was when the Chieftain died to do so: If they have not challenged for the right on that day, their right to challenge is forfeit.
4 - Eglath believes in defeating his enemies in any way possible, and has therefore spent much time within the city of Luskan itself to learn the skills of the people there. Despite his great size, he has become quite skilled at sneaking.
5 - Eglath views all non-Goliaths as inferior to his people, and any who would back away from a fight below even that. Through strength and courage on their part, Eglath will think better of them. Until then however, he treats any and all non-Goliaths with contempt.

Eglath the Dreamer (2 Goals)
1 - Eglath intends to become Chieftain one day, or die in the process. He will do anything to achieve this goal.
2 - He wishes to become the most powerful warrior in all the land and show everyone why the Goliaths in general and his tribe in particular is superior to all others.

Eglath the Unknown (2 Secrets-One he keeps, and one that is kept from him)
1 - Eglath is terrified of his brothers, and is very insecure about his path. Can he really break down the defenses of Vimak? Could he really oppose the spirits by hurting Kavaki? Will he be able to even get to Kag before he is felled by his brothers arrows?
2 - Eglaths father, while proud of his son, does not want him to rule. He is afraid that Eglaths hot temper will make him a poor leader and that he will bring the tribe to ruin. Therefore, Aurak has continually tried to limit Eglaths growth while spurring his brothers. He only allowed Eglath to go to Luskan because he secretly hoped the experience would teach him something about honor and fighting justly, or failing that, kill him. The fact that Eglath only grew stronger from the experience troubles him deeply.

Eglath the Person (3 people he knows)
1 - Aurak the Mighty – Eglaths father and greatest source of inspiration. Eglath wishes to walk in his fathers footsteps and further his tribe as his father has.
2 - Thom Smith – The head of a Luskan gang who used Eglath to scare his competitors while teaching him the subtle art of the stealthy killer. Thom saw Eglath as an asset, while Eglath saw Thom as an inferior who could be used to further his people.
3 - Vimak the Rock – Eglaths oldest brother, who left to tread his path two years before Eglath did. The two always competed when they were younger to see which was greater: Vimaks defenses or Eglaths attacks. For the longest time they were equal, but after Eglath came back from Luskan for the last time he always struck first and more often than not defeated his brother quickly afterwards. The two respect each other deeply despite their differences.

Eglath the Younger (3 memories)
1 - Eglath still hasn't sorted out his feelings about the day when his sister was born: As is customary in the tribe, she was handed over to a family of lesser standing as the Chieftain does not have daughters. Eglath is unsure of whether to love her as a sister, look down at her for being of a lower caste, or fear her for the sons she might bear.
2 - Eglaths first kill is as strong a memory today as it was when he was 9. He was ambushed by a couple of other boys around his age who attacked him with blades for being the Chieftains son. Even at that young age, however, Eglath could control the strength of his anger, and imbibed with the power of the spirits of the Earth he slayed one of them, making the other run away scared. Eglath was rewarded for doing this, while the boy who ran away was punished for fleeing from a battle.
3 - The day the Luskans overthrew their government for who knows which time with Eglath in the city was a turning point in his life: He had not been in the city for long before this happened, and to this day he considers it proof of the inferiority of city-dwellers compared to his own people.

Design Notes(RP notes for me, the player)

Eglath treats others with contempt initially, though throughout the journeys he will start to like others who trust in the strength of their arms or are especially potent in battle, though people who flee or suggest fleeing will have a hard time to be trusted or liked again. Relocating on the battlefield is fine: Hiding for purposes other than striking unseen is not. He has little patience for anything that does not involve combat or getting to combat, least of all social encounters. He takes trophies of everything he kills, though not always in the form of teeth etc. (though that does happen) but rather things he feels represents what it is he killed.

Heres my Fighter... whose creation has been so enjoyable... i think i might persuade my Dm to let me kill of my druid... for this fighter... rather than wait on him being irreversably killed.

I would defo like some feedback... cheers!

Background and Concept Elements
Name: Tor Vharan

1: Tor was born of a well respected family in a mixed town in which Shifters were only recently allowed homage, and thus still not fully trusted due to their bestial nature. He took to arms and battle with immediate interest, his mother and father were happy that he found an interest so early.

2: He found his favoured style not long after starting his apprenticeship at twelve, to become a Fighter, under Balasar, a Dragonborn Tempest Fighter. The Intricacy of dual weapon fighting intrigued him, as did his favourite weapon: the Katar. His training came easy, and within five years, he could hold his own against the entire team of 10 that was the towns’ elite guard.

3: After completing his fifteen year apprenticeship, which whilst included constant training in the art of the Tempest, Tor also learned how to care for his Katars, and fashioned special Sheaths and belt with help from the town Blacksmith: Orsik Wildhammer. Learning also the importance of physical fitness.

He left to travel the world, in hopes to attain the teachings of other masters, in hopes they will help him towards greater mastery of his fighting techniques and weapons.

4. Tor has a great sense of companionship, and would do anything to protect his friends. Once… only six months into his training, an old apprentice of Balasar had returned, after a shameful defeat at the hands of a thief, who had taken his weapons and armor. He blamed Balasar for not training him enough, and charged him with a Tratnyr: without thinking, Tor leapt to his master’s aide, killing the old apprentice with ease.

5: Tor gained his race their trust when, five years into his apprenticeship, an army of 200 bandits and mercenaries stormed their town(population: 256... town guard of 40. Elite guard of 10. As it was his home, Tor took to the front line, himself killing 93 of the bandits, including the leader of the attack.

Goals (player and character)

1. (character): Tor wishes to master the Tempest style, to the end that he surpasses his mentor

2.(character): after he believes that he has attained mastery, and the thrill of adventure has lost it’s pull, Tor wishes to make his home in a small town, and take on his own set of apprentices.

3.(player): I would like to see (2) come true, at the end of Tor’s adventuring career

Secrets(character known/Unknown

1-known): Tor is the only other person, aside Balasar, that the apprentice he killed, was Malaar, Balasar’s Son.

2(unknown): two years after his leaving the town, it was subject to another raid, the Theives Guild knew of Tor’s involvement, and leaving. It is unknown whether Balasar, Orsik or his parents… and the rest of the town survived the battle.

3-Unknown): the Theives Guild lost 3 / 4 of their apprentices in the battle in which Tor participated. Hence, they have placed a 5,000 Gold bounty on him dead(with proof), and a 7,500 Gold bounty for him delivered to the HQ alive

Contacts

1: Balasar: a 65 year old Tempest Fighter. Who is a well respected member of the town, and personally trained the entire guard force.

2: Orsik: a 34 year old Dwarven Blacksmith. Tor would listen for hours on end as he described how to care for his weapon.

3-not met) Redgar the Swift: the brother of the leader of the bandit army, whom Tor killed. Has sworn revenge against him. (he is the one offering the bounty)

Memories

1: Tor remembers how his world seemed to slow down as he realised the old apprentice meant harm to his master

2: He remembers his fight with the Elite Guard, and their shock as he declared them all “dead” within five minutes.

3: Tor remembers the first time he held a Katar

Mannerisms/Quirks + Appearance

Tor stands reasonably tall at 6’0”, weighing 150 lb. With light brown skin, and black hair just past his shoulder. He is of a muscular build… but has surprising dexterity. He has Red eyes, and a cheerful, and determined demeanour. He wears (hide or Cmail dont know yet) armor… made by Orsik

Tor gets up at 6am every morning, to train till 8... This includes practicing his fighting stances/moves… and physical training. I.e.: press ups, running, wieght training

He will spend a lot of his spare time either getting in some extra training, or inspecting his weapons and their sheaths for damage… and will often be seen taking a whetstone to his Katars.

Once Tor considers a person his friend, or a place a home… he will do everything he can to keep them out of danger.

Tor believes in practice… and thus will often try to encourage his adventuring teammates to spar with him, or even join in his daily training.

Also, he takes pride in providing for his friends… carrying a spare tent and bedroll should they be needed. And three spare waterskins should they be required

Hope i filled all the nooks 

any comments?

Fargrim Stoneboot, Dwarven Invoker (Tharizdun)

"Ignore all but me, for I will take care of you and you will serve me." (5 Basic Concepts)
1 - Fargrim was brought up in a small dwarven village whose name he does not care to remember, but the town priest believed him to be a herald of the gods from an early age. Fargrims father, a devout man himself, believed the priest.
2 - Fargrim went to a monastery on the outskirts of a city in Aglarond, where he spent most of his early adult life.
3 - The monks at the monastery came to realize that there was something true in the village priests words, and as such held Fargrim in high esteem despite having some odd habits.
4 - Fargrim has for the past several years heard a voice in his head, which he has recognized as the will of a deity. After discussing this at length several times during several months at the monastery, Fargrim was expelled from it for mocking the faith of the monks and being a source of trouble.
5 - After the voice told him its identity, he sought out other believers, and they helpt further his training. Now, he seeks to do the gods bidding.

"Yes, yes very good. This pleases me. Do it again." (2 Goals)
1 - Keep the identity of the god hidden from all others, as has been instructed to him.
2 - By any means necessary, fulfill the gods highest wish: Release him from his prison.

"You know you can't hide anything from me. Surrender your innermost secrets so that both of us may become stronger." (2 Secrets-One he keeps, and one that is kept from him)
1 - The voice in Fargrims head has identified itself as The Chained God, though it has not spoken its name directly to Fargrim. It has however told him all of The Chained Gods plans and wishes.
2 - While the voice in Fargrims head is that of a god, it is not The Chained God, but Cyric, Prince of Lies, who speaks to him.

"Disregard others as much as you can: You already have me, why would you need anyone else?" (3 people he knows)
1 - Orsik Stoneboot - Fargrim's father, who sent him off to the monastery. Fargrim remembers fairly little of his father, but is convinced following the voice in his head is what his father would have wanted for him.
2 - Brother Alain - The head of the monastery where he lived for several years, Fargrim now knows that Alain was simply jealouse of his connections to divinty, and not actually finding him to be any real trouble.
3 - Lia Bladesinger - The elvish head of a small cult to The Chained God who took Fargrim in after his expulsion from the monastery and helped him with getting rid of the last ridiculous chains to his past and devote himself fully to the voice in his head.

"Forget your past: It matters little. Listen closely to me and the future will be all the more important." (3 memories)
1 - The day he left his village was a day of happiness: He would go out into the world and learn more about divinity and the gods, and in hindsight he might never have discovered the voice in his head had he stayed in the village, and that would have been terrible.
2 - The day he left the monastery was a day of happiness: He would go out into the world and serve the voice in his head and do whatever it wanted. Had he stayed the monks might have tried to suppress it, and that would have been terrible.
3 - The day he left the cult was a day of happiness: He would go out into the world and do the voice's bidding, and serve his god to whatever end it wished for as long as he will live. Had he stayed in the cult they may have contradicted the voice, tricked Fargrim or spoken the gods name, and that would have been terrible.

Design Notes(RP notes for me, the player)

Fargrim tries to avoid the subject of his religious views as much as possible, arguing that his personal beliefs should not matter as long as he does a good job. He will never directly deny serving The Chained God however. On occasion he will follow the whims of the voice in his head, or speak out loud to it. He will always deny he was speaking, but never deny when he does something stupid on the voice's command: That would be denying the god. For the most part he will act natural, if somewhat odd, and use strange phrases often. Have Cyric reveal himself not to be The Chained God at all late in the game, at which point Fargrim will be so fanatic a follower of a god he has no connection to he won't care.
Yahoo Tharizzy!!

were playing the Return t the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign... so i know who he is... great BG for a devout.... and CARAZZY follower of the God of nothing!!

Yeah, devotion to Tharizdun just seems a like a great charactertrait, but my regular DM has a strict "no evil characters" rule, so I figured I'd have to change something about it. Having him not actually follow Tharizdun but thinking he does would allow for him to be more good-aligned while still being Tharizun-y.
nice... a plot twist in a background... all it will lead to is fuun
---

might i ask for my BG to be assessed... i personally would looove to play this character.
haha... camping in a dungeon, me getting up early to do some fighting stances when we could be attacked at any moment!
--

but as such... i would like to hear what others have to say :-)

Khashana (Female Kalashtar Prescient Bard, Good)

Backstory 

Khashana grew up with her family in a small kalashtar monastic community in Adar, Sarlona, in the world of Eberron. Her mother and father were Lanharath and Sorashana, and her brother was Kanaharath. While most of the kalashtar apply their mental abilities to martial arts, Khashana preferred to combine magic and music with her skill in archery rather than rely solely on the powers of her mind. She believes that the outnumbered kalashtar need to utilize every advantage at their disposal. Like all kalashtar, Khashana and her family are hunted by agents of the Dreaming Dark, who kill every kalashtar they can find. Many kalashtar believe that just by surviving, they are helping to prevent the Dreaming Dark’s goals, but Khashana has always believed that more direct action needs to be taken out in the world. She believes that the kalashtar must not just survive, but win this war to bring the new age of il-Yannah to replace the current age of il-Lashtavar.

The people of her village lived under the siege of the Reidrans, who are under the complete control of the Inspired and the Dreaming Dark. Eventually the Reidrans managed to infiltrate the village and struck from within. Khashana tried to fight, but quickly found that she was no match for the dark agents. Kanaharath fought them off in order to buy her time to escape. Khashana, and any other kalashtar from her village who escaped that night, scattered after the destruction of the village. Khashana never found out if her family survived the attack, and she put as much distance between herself and her native land as possible, travelling far and wide across the land of Khorvaire. She escaped many attacks by the agents of the Dreaming Dark during her travels, and so she kept on the move, usually keeping to cities. One day, she found a House Lyrandar vessel preparing for an interplanar journey. They were taking advantage of the favorable planetary alignments to send a ship to another realm, and Khashana saw an opportunity to escape the Dreaming Dark. She smuggled aboard, hoping that such drastic measures would throw the agents of the Inspired off her trail.

After having met and joined a group of adventurers while in this new land, the party found an odd portal created when a kobold sorcerer killed a young white dragon. In their attempt to stop him, the party went through the portal, and now Khashana and her allies have ended up in a strange militaristic land called Paxchimerica.

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character. These can be a concept overview, a list of important life events, a physical description, a personality profile...whatever you need to get an image in your mind. 5 is just a minimum...more elements are encouraged! (I kind of combined Steps 1 and 5).

1. Khashana has short red hair and bright green eyes. Where most Kalashtar are serene and contemplative, Khashana is outgoing and very sociable, and is comfortable interacting with either wild tribal races or high society. Perhaps her nature, like her mental talents, sets her apart from most Kalashtar. Or perhaps she has merely perfected her human mask. Khashana will try to pass herself off as a human unless forced to do otherwise because she knows that anonymity is her greatest defense against the Dreaming Dark. Her allies, however, know her true race, and that shows the trust she has placed in them.

2. Khashana is very loyal to her adventuring party. For Kalashtar, community is paramount, and the needs of the community are placed above those of the individual or of family units. For Khashana, her adventuring party is her community.

3. After leaving her village, Khashana's frequent encounters with the agents of the Dreaming Dark have made her more than cautious. Although she maintains a friendly demeanor to nearly everyone she meets, she never trusts outsiders. She just makes sure that they're unaware of that fact! 

4. Khashana is somewhat arrogant, believing that other races have no place in her people's battle against the Dreaming Dark and that they should not be involved. 

5. While most Kalashtar disdain weapons of wood or steel, preferring to fight with only their minds, Khashana sees no problem in augmenting her mental powers with martial weaponry. She does, however, maintain the mental discipline emphasized by her people and spends some time in meditation each morning.

6. Khashana's style of music is unique compared to bards of other races, because she utilizes her telepathic abilities while she performs so that her music evokes emotion and imagery. Listening to her music is a little bit like listening to Fantasia in surround sound.

7. Khashana is used to the magical commodities of Eberron supplied by the Dragonmarked Houses. She is used to the conveniences present in everyday life due to the Houses' investments of time and money into magical research. Now she is in a new land with very little magic available to the common people, and she considers it to be magically underdeveloped. She also tends to view the native people as the underprivileged inhabitants of a third world country.

8. Because she is from the magically developed world of Eberron, Khashana's bardic instrument is an electric guitar, except that it is powered by arcane ability rather than electricity. All of Khashana's songs are from Classic Rock bands, like Santana, Boston, Survivor, Def Leppard, and AC/DC.

9. Like all Kalashtar, Khashana experiences moments of madness because she shares her body with a Quori spirit who is a refugee from the realm of Dal Quor. The spirit that inhabits Khashana’s body is named Alashana. Khashana cannot communicate with Alashana directly, but Alashana can make herself felt in subtle ways – through emotions, dreams, and occasionally stray thoughts. In Kashana’s case, these moments of madness occur as brief periods of time where it is as if she belongs to another world altogether. She may use songs and phrases that are from that world but are unknown in this world, but doesn't understand what she has said when she regains her sanity.

1. Khashana’s goals are, first and foremost, to stay hidden. Anonymity and obscurity are her first defenses against the Dreaming Dark. Although she is in a completely different world, she is troubled by the frequency with which people from unknown worlds seem to pop into this one. In the previous world, she felt a measure of security against discovery by the agents of the Inspired, but here one could appear at any moment.

2. At times, Khashana would like to find out what happened to her family, but at other times, she fears the worst – that her inability to protect herself and their subsequent attempt to save her cost them their lives. She’s not sure which is worse; to not know at all, or to know that their deaths were her fault.

3. Her overall goal is to help her people. However, this is such a broad goal that she doesn’t quite know how to accomplish it. Khashana will never turn away a Kalashtar in need, and will do everything in her power to protect him or her without exposing herself.

4. Caution is good, but Khashana's fears of the Dreaming Dark are inhibiting her potential and possibly keeping her from her destiny. My goal would be to see whether Khashana will learn to face her fears of the Dreaming Dark rather than run from them, as she has done for so long.

5. I would also like to see Khashana get over her racial arrogance and realize that her people's battle with the Dreaming Dark is not something they can win by themselves.

1. The agents of the Dreaming Dark are trying to kill the Kalashtar, but, unbeknownst to Khashana, they are trying to reach her in particular. That’s why she has had so many encounters with them, from the bustle of Sharn to the seclusion of the Towering Woods. Normally, Kalashtar hide in populated areas among humans, and most of the Inspired agents frequent cities to simultaneously ferret out more Kalashtar and to place themselves in desirable positions to influence various rulers. In Khashana’s case, agents were sent out scouring Khorvaire in search of her specifically, and their orders were to take her alive. Perhaps Alashana, the quori spirit that is sharing Khashana’s body, is one that the Dreaming Dark would especially like to get hold of for some reason. Perhaps, if Sorashana is dead, Khashana is the last mortal who is merged with Alashana, and by killing Khashana the Dreaming Dark will have exterminated this line. 

Still working on this one...

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion that stands at the cradle of true art and true science... -Einstein
html_removed
html_removed
html_removed
html_removed
Akmenos, the tiefling hybrid paladin/dark pact warlock.

1)      Akmenos was a young Tiefling when he joined the Crimson Legion, wanting to strike back at any of Asmodeus’ forces.

2)      His hatred of the archdevil was fostered when he was a child. A devil offered his father the power of a warlock; in exchange for the killing of his wife. His power-hungry father didn’t hesitate.

3)      He greets people with a charming smile and politeness, while secretly gauging them to be friend or foe.

4)      When made truly angry, he abandons his refined outward appearance, and is fearsome to behold.

5)      He made a pact with the dark spirits of the Shadowfell to give him powers, but trained as a paladin of Pelor. He believes the light of Pelor will help to prevent the corruption of his pact from overwhelming him.

Goals:

1) Defeat Asmodeus; let the god know what it is like to be killed, as Asmodeus once killed a god

2) Banish the distrust and hostility many people have for Tieflings

Secrets:

1) He has never told anyone the reason for his hatred of devils, always changing the subject when it is brought up. When he enters into his rages, he lets his memory fuel the fire.

2) The spirit he forged his pact with was in fact the vengeful spirit of his mother, who was unable to pass on to the next world.

Significant people:

1) Damaia was Akmenos’ closest childhood friend and rival in all things. They even joined the Crimson Legion together, but while he trained as both a paladin and warlock, she devoted herself solely as a paladin of Bahamut. She reasons that his followers brought down Bael Turath, so she will follow in their footsteps to bring down Asmodeus.

2) The shadowy patron of Akmenos’ pact sometimes whispers thoughts in his mind, commanding and advising him. In battle, the thoughts are sadistic, telling him to inflict pain however possible, and simultaneously feeling and enjoying the pain he inflicts on others.

3) Akmenos’ father has become one of Asmodeus’ leading generals, and on the few occasions Akmenos has found him, his father was always taunting him, pointing out their similarities.

Memories, mannerisms, quirks

1)      He prays every day before dawn to Pelor for strength to resist giving himself over completely to the darkness he wields.

2)      When the insistent voice in his mind urges him too strongly, he will often argue out loud with it

3)      He fondly remembers his mother, and has noticed that when he thinks of her, it seems to make the spirit content.

Beatrix --   Priestess of Joe the God of Fabulousness

*Beatrix was converted as one of the first disciples of Joe by "Big Richard"

*Beatrix helps run a temple in "Las Vegas" one of the biggest temples to Joe

*She has always had a flare for the flamboyant...be it clothes decorating etc.

*She is a talker and completely uninhibited by anything

*She likes dark sinister hot evil guys...oops!

character goals -
spread the word of joe, convert followers, and help joe ascend to god hood
have a secret relationship with this powerful cleric from the temple of hecate

secrets-
she took the soul of the evil man she's after into her weapon, a flesh devouring whip
she with the help of zhazha discovered the spherical spells of Joe, but she doesn't know that big richard, first disciple of joe resents her for this
unknown secret...plans are in order to sabotage her temple and all that she's worked to create.

characters
Big Richard - first disciple of joe, converted her to the faith.  Regularly calls on beatrix when some forceful backup may be required
Zhazha- beatrix's best friend and another priest of joe.  Beatrix converted zhazha, and she is a rising star.  Zhazha isn't terribly smart (neither is beatrix) but zhazha is an absolute knockout.  She operates a lingerie store in Las Vegas
Hogue - Hogue is a bard who tried to do sexual favors for the mayor in an attempt to get an audience in Las Vegas.  His triple botch in a row resulted in the following:
a) www.liveleak.com/view?i=a58_1197493410 ... (something like that)
b) accidentally castrating the mayor
---the bard was tied to beatrix's adventuring party causing resentment from the mayor, and if Hogue is alive?? he undoubtedly has resentment towards beatrix as well

Nemesis- This bucktoothed nasty priest lady from church of latter day saints has vowed the destruction of her crushes church.

Memories/mannerisms/quirks
*she will frequently say "you've been saved" and smack people on the forehead....she's not joking she's serious-
* beatrix isn't really a smart cookie-but she has a good heart and she follows it to a tee
*beatrix effectively walks around in avante-garde costume as normal dress, for her life is a fashion show.  Ruining her outfit might be the only thing that could enrage her.  And she would be LIVID - VERY UPSET.

*****send me a message to tell me what you think of my character I lub her
Prentiss Thundergust, Dwarven Axemage

• The youngest of a multitude of sons, Prentiss' only role within his family was as a spare just in case one of his elder brothers died before they could be married off to a rich heiress. As an act of petty rebellion he developed a disaffected and laid-back personality.

• Prentiss' favoured blade is a particularly brutal looking Khopesh that's battered, notched, scarred by rust and frequently covered in filth but in spite of all that it still works. They say that a swordmage's blade resembles it's wielder, Prentiss is no exception to this.

• The Thundergusts were once a noble clan who held domain over an entire mountain and all the mines within, producing from them an abundance of iron which their talented smiths laboured to turn into fine Dwarven weapons. The clan made it's fortune selling it's wares far and wide. Prentiss knows a little of the craft from his youth.

• The Thundergusts were wiped out by a brutal attack from the Hobgoblin Warlord Grelk Marrowcarver undercover of night. Despite having the element of surprise and the advantage of sheer numbers on his side Grelk's slavering hordes were decimated by the stalwart dwarven defenders. Ultimately the Thundergusts were all killed to a man, leaving Grelk to consolidate in their stolen holdings. Prentiss is the sole surivior of the clan as he was off negotiating a trade deal at the time.

• In order to improve himself and give himself the skills he needed to take his revenge Prentiss applied to the Elghenwiir Academy for the Arcane Arts to capitalise on his meagre magical and martial skills. The headmaster, a wise and understanding Eladrin, saw straight through Prentiss' shaggy appearence and demeanour and straight to the fist-sized bag of jewels he carried as price for his tuition and admitted him much to the chagrin of the Academy's instructors.

GOALS

• Prentiss' ultimate goal is to libeate his Clan's stolen territory, restore honor to their good name and take the head of Grelk Marrowcarver. If ultimately it proves too difficult to achieve all three he'll settle for one or two goals completed.

• Prentiss is  carrying out his revenge mostly out of a misguided sense of duty towards his family, one that never cared for him much in the first place. While noble, his revenge is inevitably going to destroy him for no good reason. I'd like to see him get something to live for, be it a new clan, an apprentice, or a love interest.

Associated NPCs
  • Evered Fallenhiir - Eladrin Swordmage. A young and worried looking Eladin with deeply engrained worry-lines on his flawless white skin. A former room-mate of Prentiss from the academy, he came around to Prentiss' 'charms' and bonded with him over a mutal past as the useless younger children of their families. Without Prentiss help and tuition he never would have graduated, he owes Prentiss a debt that he feels he hasn't fully repaid.

• Dirk Rathgar - Dwarven Rogue. A genial and friendly dwarf who none-the-less looks like he's been repeatedly dipped into a vat of boiling oil, his face and body a mess of permanent scar tissue. The wounds are a memento of an encounter of his with a Goblin wizard, one he only survived because of the intervention of Prentiss' father. He aids Prentiss out of a sense of loyalty to his lineage, feeding him information aout Grelk and securing him arms.

• Grelk Marrowcarver - Goblin Warlord. A cunning and ruthless Hobgoblin hellbent on conquering the world, or at least securing for himself a decently-sized slice of it. Spurred on by messianic vision of himself as ruler of all induced by a near-leathal dose of psychotropic mushrooms Grelk has done all he can to make that vision reality. He is a psychopathic megalomaniac whose oratory has stirred up the monstrous races around Thundergust Mountain and moulded them into a fearsome army.

Secrets
  • Prentiss actually arrived home, or at least close enough to it, to see the battle raging on Tundergust Mountain. However, he was paralysed by fear and chose to flee rather than fight. While his joining in the fray would not have saved his clan he none-the-less feels guilt towards his actions. Most nights he drinks to forget this shame and tells no-one why, leaving them to assume he's just being a dwarf.

• The Thundergusts had actually been selling weapons to arm Grelk's hordes using Dirk as an intermediary. Grelk used this information to attempt to blackmail the clan, for if the truth got out their reputation and honor would be irrecovably tarnished. When they would not yield he attacked. If Prentiss were to learn of this he would surely be devastated but it may free him from his self-destructive path.

Mannerisms
  • Prentiss enjoys a good drink. He enjoys many good drinks. He enjoys them all night long until he passes out, consigning all his fears and bad memories to temporary alcoholic oblivion. When he starts remembering again, he drinks.

• Prentis is filthy, not out of choice but rather apathy. He doesn't care what anyone thinks of him and would rather not waste time on cleanliness that could be spent elsewhere. His companions will get used to the smell. Eventually.

• If someone can bear his stench, then they'll find a battered soul underneath that, though somewhat cynical, genuinely does wish to help people. Best not to praise him afterwards as he can't accept praise well, brushing it off with blustered, brusque curses.

Warhorse W44 Frontline

First Impressions

Before you stands a barely humanoid, thick-bodied construct of just 4 1/2 feet tall.  It stands on two short legs ending in simple metal feet with just two splayed toes, and possesses two long arms, each fitted with a six-fingered hand, arranged as three sets of two-finger grasping laws.  The construction of the legs and arms appears identical, giving the golem a somewhat baboon-like appearance, with arms seemingly over-sized in proportion to its legs.  Most disturbing however, is the head: atop a perfectly cylindrical pole rests an almost life-like carving of an expressionless human head, rotating freely.   Partially obscured by a metal helm, a black glyph is prominently engraved on the forehead, unmistakably identifying this model as sentient: a Warforged - albeit of a primitive, golem-like construction.

Its back is covered in spears of various shapes and sizes, and a heavy shield is affixed to the front.  The thick arms currently grasp a spear easily twice its size.  Beneath these adornments, a layer of solid metal plating covers every  square inch of the Warforged's body.  The intimidating appearance is oddly contrasted by a high voice, saying: "Hi!  I'm Warhorse, nice to meet you!"

Warhorse is good at standing in the way of the enemy, tripping them, harassing them, and if necessary, cowing the opponent into retreat.  It's most flexible when it can afford to fight with a longspear but against dangerous opponents it wields a shield for extra defense.

Background + Formative Memories

A golem scraped barnacles off the submerged portion of the hull of a house Lyrandar soarwood catamaran.  If it wondered why this was necessary, the fact that it had been commanded to do so sufficed.  After completion, it resurfaced.  A half-elf approached and gave further instructions. 
"Hey, you - Warhorse!  Drag that ship into the dry dock.  Your work needs inspection."

Then a band of shifters and humans attacked, disemboweled its superior, and destroyed Warhorse.

---------------------------------------

Warhorse awoke, and knew that its Purpose was to serve Therzidum.  It lay on a bench in a small room, walled with stone, without any windows and with one metal-grid door.  A few tools and sticks lay about. A spectacled human, flanked by two matte-black golems armed with heavy crossbows and spears, peered at it from behind the metal grille and introduced himself as Therzidum.

"Stand up"

- Warhorse stood upon the bench, bumping its featureless spherical head -

"Count to ten"

- Warhorse recited the numbers -

"Break the stick"

- Warhorse did -

"Now the staff"

- Warhorse tried.

"You'll do,"

the artificer pronounced, unlocking the metal door and stamping the designation W44 FRONTLINE on its neck.

"But, you're not the brightest, are you?  Your designation is W44 FRONTLINE, you understand?"

"Warhorse is designated W44 FRONTLINE."

Therzidum looked oddly at the golem.
"You're property of the Cyran military now, so follow orders of the Cyran officers.  Oh, and warn your commanders that you're a literal-minded beast when you meet them, OK?"

---------------------------------------

The air stank of rotting flesh. A squadron of dead horses, mounted by dead humans stood about.  The Karrnathi zombie cavalry had once again trampled the Cyran foot soldiers.  A necromancer's acolyte, cataloging the dead, found an odd-looking wood-golem and tagged it for retrieval.  Warhorse regained consciousness in a Cannith workshop, missing a foot and half its skull, possessed of the irresistible urge to help the nation of Karrnath.  Whatever that was.   A dark haired, dragonmarked female human was busy fiddling with a replacement foot nearby.   She was satisfied with her work - the construction of the new warforged had proceeded quickly using the body of the destroyed golem - as if the vessel had been constructed to hold a warforged sentience all along.   She looked at it, and smiled. 
"Don't worry, your head will slowly regrow - if you can call that ball of yours a head.  You could carve it into a more lifelike head, you know..."

Warhorse wondered what had happened to the other soldiers it had served with, and decided it didn't much enjoy war.  Warhorse W44 FRONTLINE warned its new commander that it was a literal minded beast.

Overview

• Warhorse is an old, experimental model warforged.  Building a tool of battle was of secondary import; its creators aimed to push the cutting edge. Consequently, Warhorse's construction is odd: short but with long, thick arms, and two somewhat stumpy legs.  Warhorse was endowed with the greatest strength put the smallest package that its creators could fashion, using ancient arcane tools they didn't quite understand.

• Warhorse was deemed a failed experiment by its creators.  Its strength was phenomenal and reactions quick, but it failed to develop sentience.  Given direct orders, it would comply, but it showed no initiative whatsoever.  To recoup costs, Warhorse was sold to a house Lyrandar shipyard, where its great strength and ability to function underwater served well.  It was here it earned the nickname Warhorse, for its ability to carry as much as one.

• Throughout the war, Warhorse was frequently disabled or entirely destroyed.  Why it retains any memories of these events is unknown.  When precisely it gained sentience, or whether it had it all along, is uncertain.  Its memories of these existences are faint, yet they color its being: Warhorse hates the last war, but it just can't quite let go.

Goals

• Warhorse hates war - which, as it thinks of it, boils down to chaos and things it can't understand.  For those that wish to rattle the established order, Warhorse has only methodical extinction in mind.  Warhorse's primary goal is to belong to something and to defend without reservation that status quo.

• Warhorse isn't a fast thinker.  The instinctive defense of the status quo serves to give itself time to come to grips with existance in the first place.  To do so, it'd also like to explore its "ancestry", and perhaps find some of his creators.  It might worship them, or it'll put their head atop a pointy stick - what matters is that it confronts them and the feelings they represent to Warhorse.

Secrets

• Warhorse remembers what really should be past lifetimes - his previous existances as something between a golem and a warforged.  This never really was so much a secret as an irrelevance of which Warhorse never spoke.  It now realizes that others would be shocked and perhaps frightened at the memories - and urges to serve - it retains from previous lifetimes and various owners.

• ???

Acquaintances

• Therzidum, a bitter Cyran mage in exile in Breland.  Therzidum's loyalties were always to himself, but he pretends to himself to pine for his lost countrymen when in fact he mourns the loss of his well-endowed position in the Cyran establishment.

• Carla, a friendlier Cannith artificer who worked for Karnath during the Last War and has since fallen on hard times, being hunted by former allies that would rather their history never be known.

• Warhorse remembers the faces and mannerisms a few sailors and members of houses Lyrandar and Cannith from his earliest days, but knows of no names nor is likely to ever stumble across them.  It doesn't even remember where those memories were made in the first place...  To them, Warhorse would have been no more than a tool, but to Warhorse, they represent safe, stable times when Warhorse felt useful, and it would probably drop anything it was doing to return to those owners - even if it now might not enjoy such thoughtless subservience.

I like Warhorse.
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.
When the Cat's a Stray, the Mice will Pray
Adding to the many: great job. Very interesting and thanks for posting.

alek = thoughtform (Player made race) (gameplay elements are legit.)

(1)= he is made of pure thought bound into a humanoid form... made up of 14 differnt persionalitys i will list at the end..

(two)=he sees everything like  a documentary persion would see a lion (see how he acts? obviosly this is a sign of ggresion to the other male)

(3)= his persionalitys are made up of 7 children who were trained as assassins and a few randoms that he has slain. his subconsicos is made of a evil assassin and a good monk.. long story

(4) he has no real freinds as he feels that he is above the mortal races and he is prone to random bursts of sctizophrenicness. once he finds people he can trust he stays with them for as long as he can.

(5) he adventures because he sees it as a way to learn. his basest instinct is to learn. even thought he has diffrent persionalitys all of them want to learn.

(1) become powerfull enough to seperate into all his seprate and become 14 diffrent entitys

(2) to become the greatest assassin ever.

(1) he is a thoughtform. he has a great fear of letting people knowing it.

(2) he can be a vessel of a god if he is captured by the preists of that god and a ritual is completed

(1)  he is freinds with the inn keeper in sharn (city of towers) going there almost everynight

(2)  he has a pet rat (regular sized not big one) best freind in the world. he uses his illusions to keep it hidden

(3)  the assassins guild (night stalker) hates me for being part of the monk the is their sworn enemy

(1) prone to random bursts of laughter and mood swings

(2) multiple persionalitys

(3) hates  HATES spiders

BACKGROUND=

there was a monk order and the night stalker assassins guild. the monk order and the assassins were at war.
the leader of the assassins was a drow named morthas
the monk leader was named azmar
the monk commisiond 7 children, a halfling named lindal, a ladrin named soveliss, a halfling named lidda, a half-orc named thud,dwarf named vondal, a human named alek and a human named quinn
the monk sent the children into the assassins guild
the children were trained by morthas. who felt mild affection for the children witch grew into a fatherly feeling of love.
when the children were trained they went to assassinate him
he was consulting his orcale he was warned that the children were plotting against him.
he waited for the children and they all got into a fight. the monk, azmar, got there and saw that the children were poisoned by the assassin during the fight, but so was the assassin,
they were all going to die soon so the monk started casting a spell that would save the children by sealing them into himself. right as he finished casting it the assassin cast a spell as his final act that would wipe the monks mind. but it would fuse the two together..

so lets recap. the monk sealed the kinds into his body at the same time the assassin fused with the monk. so all of them were in the same body.. the monks. and the assassins and monks minds were wiped. the phicsical body could not contain that and burst. and they became the first thoughtform. with the childrens memorys but the monk's and assassin's minds were wiped and they became the subconsioc

(the diffrent consiocs that he absorbed and started with. and their diffrent persionalitys)

anger = half-orc = brug
happiness = halfling = lindal
serenitiy = eladrin = soveliss
sorrow = revenant = pain
lovingness = human = quinn
hate = teifling = morrnas
normal = human = alek (domanant persionality)
contempt = dwarf = vondal
terror = kobold = meepo
distraction = halfling = karr
headstrong = dragonborn = thargorn
subconsios= azmer,morthas (monk and assassin)

PHYSICAL DISCRYPTION

can appear as anything humanoid by projecting a mental image
his real form is glowing curiculiatory system with 14 glowing balls about the size of a fist flowing randomly through the body and with a very bright brain sized ball in the head. it is in a humanoid shape and about 5'6 and looking like a normal weight when it really weighs about 50 pound

Lady Leanna Silverwind, High Druid of Shroudmist Grove

Step 1: Background

1) Lady Leanna Silverwind was once a noble eladrin, a courtier in the halls of Lord Landril Goldenbow, heir to the Emperoer of Avaleron and ruler of Minas Mesidii in the Feywild. She came to the worship of Mynora Elhonna and the Primal Spirits as a lark, but her faith deepened after several years of study.

2) Leanna was eventually banished from the court of Landril by Lady Wynowill, who had recently married the lord after the mysterious death of his first wife. Lady Leanna and a group of other Eladrin who had opposed Lady Wynowill traveled through The Winterend Passage into The World.

3) The band of eladrin, unused to the dangers of the Shroudmist Forest, banded with a group of elves who had moved into the wood. Lady Leanna and the elves decided to create a permanent settlement, to guard travelers coming and going through the passage to the Feywild. Over time, this became Shroudmist Grove.

4) For eighty years Lady Leanna has presided over Shroudmist Grove. The grove has grown under her watch from a small band to a thriving village, which is not only made of elves but shifters, gnomes, humans, and other creatures who have been outcast, abandoned, or forced to relocate. Lady Leanna takes them all in--provided they agree to help protect the other members of the grove and harbor no evil will towards others.

5) Lately, however, the Grove has come under assault. A tribe of bugbears has started raids against the grove, and a band of spriggan are moving in, hunting elven patrols. Lady Leanna is currently doing her best to get to the bottom of these problems, and is hoping to receive aid from St. Clarice.

Step 2: Goals And Current Problems

1) Lady Leanna's main role is that of a Patron and Ally for the party. She has access to resources the party needs, and is sympathetic towards them (her adopted daughter is among them, which helps). She's the Reasonable Authority Figure the party can appeal to for help.

2) Lady Leanna's main goal is to use her authority over the grove justly and wisely, and to protect the weak and travelers through her section of a very dangerous forest.

Step 3: Secrets

Show
1) Lady Leanna is actually a member of The White Fox Society, and the woman behind the Faceless Underground that sneaks changelings from The Feywild into The World. She is unaware of the more sinister motives of the Society, however, and truly believes the Society is a force for good.

2) Some of the White Fox members, including many of those involved in The Faceless Underground, are turning up dead, and Lady Leanna fears she may now be a target. She's unaware that the Wild Hunt is wiping out the foxes to cover it's involvement with the Underground and the horrible fate the changelings suffer at their hands.

3) The Eladrin Empire of Avaleron is moving to invade the World, and has decided to wipe out Shroudmist Grove as a potential threat to its plans. It is funding the recent Bugbear attacks, making overtures to the Redcaps, and sending spies and saboteurs to wreck the Grove's infrastructure, bribe some of the residents, and cause chaos. Lady Leanna can see the symptoms of their works, but isn't yet aware of the true causes of her beloved home's problems.

4) Lady Leanna and Our Lady Wynowill were rivals in Landril's court, and Lady Wynowill was responsible for banishing Lady Leanna when the druid began to investigate the death of Lord Landril's first wife. Part of the reason Lady Wynowill has decided to destroy the grove is based on this ninety-year grudge.

Step 4: Relationships

1) Lady Topaz, an eladrin child who Leanna found wandering in the wood when she was little more than a baby, was raised by Leanna. Leanna considers the child her adoptive daughter.

2) Lady Zanna Gnarlroot, a gnome shaman and one of the members of the Grove's Circle of Vines (the ruling council), has developed a bitter rivalry with Leanna over how the grove should be administered. Lady Zanna and Lady Leanna are constantly butting heads over secular and religious matters. Leanna fears Zanna is more interested in gaining power than wisely ruling over the Grove.

3) High Warden Corrin Corris is the Grove's master at arms, and oversees The Wardens of The Wood, the local militia force. Lady Leanna sees him as a young man trying to prove himself in a difficult position, and supports him, though she has issues with his occasional hot-tempered outbursts and lack of respect for the spirits. She also worries about his ties with Lady Zanna.

design notes
Well, I'm back in the saddle again, working on NPCs for the new town the party has reached. And to kick off my return to D&D, I've decided to post some of the important NPCs and get used to the new forum format. So here we have Lady Leanna, one of the NPCs created by a player as part of her backstory. This character was mentioned in the previous version of this campaign, but never made an appearance, so I've changed that and gave her a more prominent role. She is tied to several of the plots running in this particular area of the world I've built, and is a powerful ally in their corner--which is good, because the party is nearing Paragon tier and has a LOT of enemies arrayed against them.
56816218 wrote:
What I find most frustrating about 4E is that I can see it includes the D&D game I've always wanted to play, but the game is so lathered in tatical combat rules that I have thus far been unable to coax the game I want out.

Phanuel, Face of Amoth

Step 1: Background

1) Phanuel is a deva avenger who professes to worship the dead god Amoth.  This makes him probably the only one of his kind in the multiverse.  He is dedicated to the ancient precepts of justice and mercy that Amoth championed before his murder at the hands of Orcus.

2) Phanuel was trained by the Adherents of Kalandurren, a cabal of mortal invokers dedicated to Amoth's memory.  They claim to have been guided to the site of Phanuel's recent reincarnation by a vision they recieved.

3) Phanuel is a quiet being, preferring to watch rather than act.  He believes that in order to properly administer justice, one must have complete knowledge of a situation, or they might make the situation worse by not knowing the whole story before interfereing.  He is also a strong believer in the power of redemption, sparing the lives of his enemies whenever they let him.

4) Phanuel has received a number of visions that he believes are memories from his past lives, but some of them seem very alien to him, like they were memories of a different mind.  These are always the most disturbing visions, and he has yet to understand them.

5) No one knows for sure how Phanuel can channel divine power despite worshiping a dead god.  Phanuel personally believes that it his faith in Amoth's precepts that gives him this power, like all the Adherents of Kalandurren, but even the Adherents will readily state that the source of Phanuel's power is different from their own, though that is all they will say on the matter.

Step 2: Goals and Current Problems

1) Phanuel seeks the destiny that the Adherents claim led them to find him.  For now, he has been wandering aimlessly seeking wrongs to right and lawless areas to bring justice to, but he feels that soon he will be caught up in events that will catapault him into a destiny that surpasses all expectations.

2) Phanuel has been struggling to learn about his past lives.  For some reason, he remembers less about his past lives than devas usually do, and the few memories he HAS managed to uncover have been hard to understand.

Step 3: Secrets (Someone wanna tell me how you do spoiler blocks with this thing?)

Show
1) Phanuel was in fact an angel in the service of Amoth prior to becoming a deva.  He had been on a diplomatic mission to Celestia when the forces of Demogorgon, Orcus and Rimmon invaded Kalandurren.  When he recieved his home dominion's cry for help, he was at the head of the vanguard of Amoth's servitors who were on similar missions and had recieved the order to return.  But by the time they arrived, with the combined forces of the gods of Celestia following them, it was already too late to prevent Amoth's murder.  Phanuel watched as his master drew his last breath, and Orcus took his head as a foul trophy that tops his wand to this day.

2) All of Amoth's servants, aside from Phanuel and the other angels in the returning vanguard, had been slain in the demonic invasion, and when the demons were finally driven from Kalandurren, they were at a loss for what to do next.  Some hunkered down in Kalandurren to try and hold it out of a stubborn devotion to their duty and their fallen lord.  Some departed for other dominions, to serve other powers of justice like Erathis and Bahamut.  Phanuel led the remaining few angels and decided they didn't want to serve in the Astral Sea without their lord.  They were among the first angels to bargain with the primal spirits for entrance to the world, becoming the first devas.

3) One by one, the remaining angels who served Amoth have died off.  The ones who remained in Kalandurren were the first to fall, holding off mad cultists and demonic scavengers for years until finally they were wiped out by the Doomguard when they decided to make their home there.  The ones who decided to serve other gods threw themselves into the service of their new patrons so vigorously that they often died on the front lines of their new masters' conflicts.  And as some devas transcend, others die off and some even become rakshasas, the number of devas who were created with Phanuel have dwindled away, leaving Phanuel as the last living servitor of Amoth.

4) When Phanuel became the last of Amoth's remaining former servants, the lingering vapors of that are what was left of Amoth knew that time was short before the Lord of Kalandurren would be forgotten forever.  So what little of Amoth's power was left coalesced into a tiny divine spark that implanted itself in Phanuel's soul as he passed from his last incarnation to his current one.  This spark is what powers Phanuel's prayers, and as he adventures, he strengthens it.  Phanuel learned this from the Adherents who found him, and knows that when the spark is powerful enough, he will need to lay down his life in a final act of service and sacrifice to power Amoth's rebirth.

Step 4: Relationships

1) Revered Father Astyanax is the leader of the Adherents of Kalandurren, making him the closest thing Phanuel has to a family.  He is intensely proud of Phanuel's training and believes that through Phanuel, people will start to remember Amoth and his principles, and may start to emulate them in order to bring more good into the world.

2) The Seven Yellow Old Men, a sinister cabal of arcanists who worship the memory of Rimmon were made aware of Phanuel through the lingering energies of their demon lord.  They believe that if they can sacrifice Phanuel at Rimmon's Cairn on Kalandurren, Rimmon may be reborn with the powers of a god, completing the conquest of the dominion that Rimmon attempted with Demogorgon and Orcus so long ago.

3) The Circle of the World Serpent, a circle of druids, shamans and other servants of the primal spirits have kept a close eye on the devas ever since they were created, to make sure they abide by the bargain the devas made with the primal spirits millenia ago.  The recent turn of events regarding Phanuel's training by the Adherents has piqued their interest.  They are watching Phanuel closely, and if they believe he is defying the primal spirits' edict, they will confront him.

(Someone wanna tell me how you do spoiler blocks with this thing?)

[ spoiler ][ /spoiler ], without the spaces. nice to see you back, Z.
56816218 wrote:
Yep!  I'm back!  More TMBs from me coming soon! Wink

Great thread! -- a pleasure to read, and a very useful tool.

Does anyone know if MS Word has something equivalent to spoiler blocks, and if so, how to implement it? Thanks ahead of time.

P.S. Great job on "Warhorse"!

Really do like this, and so I have to post back a character of mine:

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character.
  • In his youth, Samuel was trained in tribal lore, religion and swordplay. He blends his cunning with flashing displays of swordplay.

• Samuel is painfully aware that he still needs to display more heroic deeds in order to properly claim the throne of Itar.

• Samuel is also still searching for a wife. He is turning 34 next year, which would be still a good time to marry. Of course, he has very high expectations for his family, which means it has to be someone very special.

• Samuel feels overshadowed by his younger sister, Hannah. She is a religious leader, and is given great respect all over the tribe.

• Samuel believes that everything in life has a reason - and that it is steered by the most important of gods, Vathris.

Step 2: List at least two goals for the character.
  • Samuels main goal at all times is to aid his tribe. Whatever the costs to himself or his men, the Tribe comes first. 

• Samuel would want to defeat as many followers of Vatun as possible. 

• I would like to see Samuel face decisions that drive him to the limit of his morality - How much can you sacrifice, stay still good and help your clan the most without killing your own morals?

Step 3: List at least two secrets about your character.
  • Samuel has a son he doesn't know of. Offspring of a long-lost love, his son Samuel II. was raised by his mother Indra alone, in one of the oases belonging to Itar. She could not bear the shame of presenting an illicit child to the royal house, but she has told her son who his father is.

• Samuel has been sworn at birth to serve the god Vathris for his whole life. Actually, it is common to the royal line, but it is a secret kept between the Rulers and their first childs. If Vathris calls, noone will deny his call. 

Step 4: Describe at least three people that are tied to the character.
  • Hannah is Samuels younger sister (22). High-Priestess of Vathris, Keeper of the Divine Secrets of Itar, Defender of the Holy Island and Chosen of the Sun, she has amassed pretty much every religious title there is to earn despite her young age. She is very focussed on religious matters, as her father was before her. She likes to work with people, and actually has no desire to once become the ruler of Itar, which he is not really aware of. That's why she encourages and helps her brother to amass his 10 tasks for the Tribe, and he feels that she is pushing him to show him how much "worse than her" he really is. Despite that constant tenseness, they still are brother and sister - One would die to save the other.

• Elkanah (60) is Samuels father. Defender of the Holy Island, Chosen of the Sun, King of Itar. Elkanah was a religious leader all his life, and had little if any progress in military or combat matters. That's why he decided to give his son a more mundane and broader education, teaching him the Way of the Sword as well as Religion or some minor magic. He is very proud of both his children, although he hopes that his son will finish his 10 tasks and become a Leadership person rather sooner than later, as life in the desert is hard and you never know what will happen to you the next day.

• Rarely mentioned at the royal court is Eli (42), younger brother to Elkanah. He feels that Elkanah's offspring would be best kept under some safeguarding, whilst he takes the throne. Actually, should Samuel fail to claim 10 tasks before his father dies, his claim to the throne would be very solid. That's why he does anything he can do legally to ensure Samuel is kept out of dangers, or important missions. He has not tried anything illegal yet, but who knows what he will do once he becomes more desperate.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.
  • Samuel remembers very vividly the first visit to the Holy Island. It was the day his father told him that he is special, and also the first time he conquered the desert on his own. Since then, he has made it a habit of returning to the temple on foot at least once a year, even if it takes him a month to do so. When he visits the temple, he brings something from his last years exploits, preferrably expensive or skillful art.

• Samuel never takes out his heirloom sword (from great-grandfather Elihu, who conquered it from a Highpriest of Vatun) without drawing blood. There is no such thing as practice combat with a sharpened weapon - either you use a replacement, or you don't fight at all. Every weapon, every item has it's own spirit - and you should not dull it by using it half-heartedly.

• Samuel will trust anyone that speaks up for him/herself. He does not like silent or secretive types, and will avoid them if possible - but to his luck, most of the times those people avoid him as well.

Here be dragons: IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cydyvkj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c54g6ac/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/csw6fhj/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cbxbgmp/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cz7v5bd/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/ccg9eld/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/c8szhnn/.gif)IMAGE(http://tinyurl.com/cp68b5u/.gif)
56767308 wrote:
Sadly, I don't think this has anything to do with wanting Next to be a great game. It has to do with wanting Next to determine who won the Edition War. [...] For those of us who just want D&D Next to be a good game, this is getting to be a real drag.
57870548 wrote:
I think I figured it out. This program is a character builder, not a character builder. It teaches patience, empathy, and tolerance. All most excellent character traits.
I really like this TMB thing. I am extremely pleased to see it being used to create towns, artifacts, and organizations. Totally awesome.

My own group has a time problem, as in, not enough. I don't think there's more than one of my six players who would have any time outside the game to actually work on their characters and, since our sessions are also pretty short, I have been thinking about a short version. If you are willing to try it out, the thread is here. Make a new character and post it, and let me know how long it takes. From the posters who have responded so far, it looks like it takes 4-5 minutes to do.

cheers,
Meshon
I like Warhorse.

P.S. Great job on "Warhorse"!

Thanks!  Warhorse's story is inspired by an earlier TPK: I'd been playing a human fighter who, mechanically, was fun to play (lots of power, but funnelled in a battlefield-control direction so that he wouldn't overshadow other PC's - fun to play without being annoying, in other words) - and just when I'd figured the mechanics, a TPK rolled by and that turned out to be a very short-lived fighter.

So Warhorse was born.  I wanted to essentially play exactly the same character, but that's terribly lame (imho).  Around then, I discovered this (brilliant!) thread, so I changed the race and fiddled a few flashy feats+powers - but mostly I tried to use the TMB to make a backstory as different from the previous (somewhat bland) character as possible.  Warhorse's in-game pseudo-reincarnation somewhat mirrors the out-of-game reincarnation of a character concept. Somewhat ironically, Warhorse has since perished at the hand of underdark orcs (argh) - and this time, he's not coming back (at least, not as a PC).

So, next up is a low-level gnome illusionist... not sure what I'll turn him into, yet :-).

It'd be nice to have some kind of index of these character backgrounds - there are some truly great ideas in here that serve well as inspiration, it's just so hard to navigate them all...
I used to index all the character ideas on the first post of the thread, but then the boards changed over and was, to put it lightly, a to mess with. Also, at that time, we were taking a break from D&D, so I wasn't around on these boards as much. Now I don't even know where I left off in the indexing.
56816218 wrote:
Having to make new Characters for a campaign thought I'd throw mine up.

Nit Elztah - Changeling Assassin

Step 1: Write 5 background and concept elements that you feel are important to your image of the character.

1. Abandoned in Cormyr as an infant, he became part of the guild system. His bringing up exploited his natural abilities and acted as a informant and infiltrator. His uses in the criminal systems drew the attention of a groups of Assassin's who trained him in the path of a Night Stalker, giving him purpose in devotion to the Raven Queen.

2. During his years working under his master a fair skined human female name Elaris the two in fell in love, the two's affair was hidden from the upper dealings of the guild and their work relationship turned more into a partnership.

3. He created persona's for his missions, his most common is that of Nit - a Human Rogue from the east. Others include a Eladrin Noble, Half Elf Merchant even a Human Knight of Cormyr. Each of his disguises has a different personality he's grown attached to and will exploit to accomplish his deeds for his god or his lover.

4. His ties were cut when he was ordered to kill his master and lover by order of the guild leaders. This missions made him realise that this wasn't any mission for the Raven Queen and possibly none of his missions had been for his god, this revealtion destroyed him emotionally and he in turn assassinated three of the five leaders for their abuse of the Raven Queen's goals and their attempt on his lover's life. The other two leaders escaped getting word of the assassinations before he could get to them. He left he same night he retaliated and hasn't been to the region since.

5. He currently roams around as hired help to true followers of the Raven Queen, he actively searches for those who offend the name of his god and as well as searching for those who abuse their positions of power.

1. To eventually return to the Cormyr region to reunite with his master/lover

2. To be able to enacted retribution on the two guild leaders who escaped.

Step 3
: List at least two secrets about your character.

1. He's currently in league with the War Mages of Cormyr as they helped facilitate his escape and continue to hide his location, he's been sent to retrieve a powerful artifact from the east which has shown up in the Thay Regions

2. His master unaware of his deeds to save her feels betrayed that he killed the leaders, remaining loyal to the two remaining leaders through he ignorance of the matter she has been actively hunting Nit down to bring him to justice.

1.) Aldos Firestar is a Cormyrian Eladrin Swordmage who Nit met during his guild days, Aldos is commited to his deeds to the Cormyrian War Mages and asked to be assigned as Nit's contact in the Thay region.

2.) Henilk Grestae a Genasi Black Merchant has been Nit's resource for all things in the trade of the Assassin and has been his supllier for years. The two have met only on few occasions face to face, but their reliance on each other has been strong, Nit doing deeds for supplies sometimes in benefit of both of them. Henilk works out of the Impiltur region

3.) Zanneiros Silverkin was a rogue from his days in Cormyr, the Human male was the equivalent of his rival the two performing marks at the same time trying to outdo each other as well as having to sometimes work together, Zanneiros was often arrogant while working with Nit. In their last encounter Nit broke Zanneiros' nose and rendered unconscious while he completed the same mark.

1.) Hates not being in a disguise he's mildly disgusted by his normal self and has considered himself to just be Nit Elztah the Human.

2.) He's never forgotten the knot in his stomach when he was ordered to kill his master, the emotions that came together all at that moment still haunt him.

3.) He enjoys eating and considers it a enjoyable passtime, he often cooks for himself and others and enjoys assassinations that deal with food as he feels it's his passion.

Seems sort of an appropriate place for a first post on this forum. Let's roll.

• Borval is the first member of his family to leave the gemcrafting business. Though his clan is supportive of greater variation in career, violating one's ancestral calling is considered a taboo.

• Despite his ambitions for power and knowledge, his ancestry reveals itself in his magpie-like collection of rare artifacts are curios.

• Though he has broken the tradition somewhat, Borval remains extremely lawful, despising oath-breakers above all. Borval possesses a very logical mind, and will steadfastly refuse to do anything without a reason.

• Borval is one of only a handful of his clansdwaves to regularly leave Naz Anor for the surface.

• After a brush with death in the upper reaches Underdark, Borval tries to avoid combat, though he does possess some skill in it.

• Borval is constantly trying to improve the lot of the Glinthammer Clan. Since a clan's power is based on its population, this means protecting its members above all else.

• As a worshipper of Bahamut, Borval reveres metallic dragons and despises chromatics. Like many dwarven Bahamut-worshippers, the pinnacle of servitude to the platinum dragon is conversion into a dragonborn.

• Unbeknownst to him, the throne of Glinthammer's thane lurks close within Borval's family tree. Were several of the clan's leadership to fall, he would rule his clan and serve in the Thanedom.

• Borval practiced minor arcane magic when he was much younger, but left after a series of embarrassing failures disgraced his clan.

• Naria Glinthammer is Borval's younger sister. Like her brother, she showed signs of rebelliousness as a youngster, but eventually gave them up to join the Gemmaster's Guild of Naz Anor. Quickly ascending to the leadership, she is an incredible craftswoman in her own right, but dreams of entering the Thanedom. Unlike Borval, she is aware of her link to Glinthammer's leadership, but has kept the secret to herself to avoid trouble.

• Thanar and Finia Glinthammer are Borval's parents. Thanar, a well-known gemcrafter in the city, married Finia, an immigrant from a northern mining colony, in 1428. Living in a more affluent section of the city, Thanar's profession kept the family well fed for years. Only recently, due to the warring human nations to the east, has trade failed and the family's affluence begun to fail.

• Dmirnaz Veneskan is a human ambassador from the rather backwards nation of Orfreynia. Divided and in nigh-anarchy, the nation is looked down upon by most other kingdoms, though Veneskan has ties within Clan Glinthammer. Introduced to him at a young age, Borval feels a mix of kinship and pity for human.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has.
  • Though Borval can be rebellious and even downright disloyal at times, he will always keep his word, and despises any who do not, to the point of hunting them down and exacting vengeance for their lies.

• Borval will never do anything without justification. Though he is willing to accept a reason from anybody, he will always interpret a situation as pragmatically as possible, and will never stray into harm's way without cause.

• Borval specifically remembers the first time he left the Gem Ward. Viewing the center of the capital for the first time, he was absolutely captivated with the bustle and business of the populace of the main city.

hi, I'm new to DnD, have a bunch of books, haven't got into a single game once cause while my characters are good statwise, but they still need background work, so why not post in this thread I thought?

Jenai Stelvanna, Half-elf Storm Sorcerer.

The Ten-Minute Background

1) Jenai Stelvanna is a half-elf who wields the power of storms

2) He trained himself to master his inner power.

3) He has served as a mercenary for many people over the years

4) His parents exiled him from the house out of anger

5) He looks forward, constantly putting on a brave face and trying to improve himself.

1) To do good things to forever redeem himself for some past action.

2) To find a better life than fighting

1) The reason he was exiled from his parents house is because he accidentally killed his younger sister with his powers

2) The reason why he got his powers is because the place where he grew up had a thinner boundary between the Elemental Chaos and the Prime Material plane than usual, where the chaotic power of elementals leaked out and infused with his body.

1) (Friendly) Cerlanius: a minor wizard and scholar whom Jenai gone to purchase books after doing a job so he research more into the arcane arts.

2) (Friendly) Dermano Kagli: a merchant who often hired him to protect his caravan, he knows a lot of worldy information and constantly keeps himself informed.

3) (Hostile) His Parents, who exiled him from the house.

1) He isn’t afraid to show off his powers or use them casually yet at the same time there is always a nagging doubt in his head saying that he should be more careful with them.

2) When danger isn’t around he is friendly and joking, almost scatterbrained, when in combat however is calm, collected and serious.

3) He worships Kord, in battle he whispers Kord’s name to help him think clearly while fighting.

Myrca Valenhof
Human female Shaman

step1:

1: could here voices from early age

2: was told she suffered paranoia

3:She once ran away from town into the forest, bullied by the other children. there she was halted by a Wolf, which she called Wolfy ( she was 5)
became great friends in secrecy

4: Wolfy was hunted down 2 years later and killed reason was the yearly hunting fest.

5: when she was a teen she went away for good, starting her live in the wilds permanently.

Step2:
1:  She want's to seek out the ones that killed her wolfie, who is now her spirit companion. and eventually join him in death. which wolfy tries to stop as long as he can.

2: before death she stills wants to visit the spirit plane, stories from wolfy about the other side makes her excited.

Step 3:

known secret: She really isn't paranoia, the voices are real, but she tries to ignore them.

Unknown secret: Wolfy wasn't hunted down becouse of the hunting fest, her parents paid money so that the wolf would be hunted down. her parents were convinced the wolf was Evil in its every way.

step 4:

the only close ones where her parents in her youth.
Only a Elfen Ranger who goes by the name Sinderion Vhea who visits her forests now and then is trusted by her, they talk and interchange information for the short whiles they are together

Step 5:
the worst memory she has is when the hunting party came back with numerous pelts packed on a cart. with wolfy, the biggest of them all hung on a totem as a trophy.

If the voices in her " head" do get her attention, she starts to act randomly, implying whatever the voices tell her or what they are referring to.

she has lost quite of her manners for the long time she has lived in the forest. making her a quite harsh and direct person. not many people like to be in company with.

Welcome new posters! I'm pleased to have people new to the forums and the game finding a home here.
56816218 wrote:
Love this idea! Here's my newest character concept: Seraket, the unwitting Psionic. 

• Seraket is a Dragonborn warlord from the southern reaches of the continent (in this campaign, it is the ancestral home of the race before the Human empire decimated and scattered them). Growing up surrounded by the desecrated ruins of his people, he has a bitterness towards all other races that can takes months to soften.

• Seraket has been acting as the leader to a small mercenary group for some time now, but has been grooming Geldan, his second-in-command, to take over the group.

• The mercenary group has been repeatedly contacted over the past several months to help deal with the growing "mental scourge" of Psionics. The people of this land see psionics as a dangerous, troubling group that should be disposed of immediately.

• Seraket's family disapproves of his arrogant pride and his refusal to let go of the race's past. They all have respectable, socially-acceptable jobs and don't like to cause a fuss.

• Seraket has never truly felt loss. Though his family is unhappy with his stance, they do not reject him. He has never had a true love, and is in many ways an immature youth, even at nearly 30.

• Seraket longs to see his people brought out of the second-class citizenship they currently suffer. His desires run well beyond that, though, and he daily dreams of a new reunited Dragonborn nation. To this end, he belongs to Io's Firstborn (see secrets below).

• Seraket has no desire to attain the things he does not have already in his personal life (ie, no desire to be more accepted by family, no desire for a wife, etc.). However, I'd personally like to see him suffer true loss, and through this truly mature to match his years.

• Seraket is a part of Io's Firstborn, an underground movement across the continent, consisting of Dragonborn who have sworn to bring forth a new, united Dragonborn nation - by violence, if necessary.

• Seraket's leadership comes not just from his martial prowess. Unbeknownst to him, he is part psionic (a hybrid Warlord/Ardent). What he experiences as an extra effort of concentration or a sudden moment of empathy, his companions experience as psionic bolstering. Thusfar, none of the mercenaries under his command have recognized his powers for what they are, and neither has he. 

• Geldan (25) is a half-elf paladin of Avandra whom Seraket has been grooming to replace him as head of his mercenary guild. The two have saved each other's lives more than once, and have fought side-by-side for almost 5 years now. Geldan is beginning to suspect Seraket's psionic abilities, and is conflicted as to whether or not to tell him. He tends to act as Seraket's foil, often temporing the dragonborn's raw insticts with faith and patience.

• Barkell (40) was Seraket's mentor during his early adulthood, training him in the ways of the Threefold Path. Extolling the virtues of Strength, Leadership, and Preparation, Barkell fostered Seraket's abilities and his racial pride. When the time was right, Barkell also initiated Seraket into Io's Firstborn.

• Alantii (17), Seraket's youngest sister, is a constant source of joy to him. He has personally vowed that she would be able to live in a Dragonborn empire. She, on the other hand, has begun falling in love with Darian, the son of the human man who owns the contracts on her parents. Seraket doesn't yet know about their affair, and would be beyond livid if he ever knew.

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. 
  • Seraket has an intense hatred towards psionics. It is widely believed by Dragonborn that the use of psionics against the Dragonborn was the cause of their downfall, and Seraket takes great pleasure in slaughtering any he finds.

• As mentioned, Seraket has never felt true loss. As such, he scoffs at people who fight for personal ideals, believing that true causes should be global and magnificent in scale.

• Seraket holds true to the Threefold Path taught to him by Barkell. He believes that, by honing all three virtues, he will be able to face any task he needs to. The falchion given to him by Barkell upon initiation into Io's Firstborn serves as a constant reminder of this.

Tebryn Tahlatis of House Devoren, Drow Battlemind

• Tebryn was trained in psionics by a Gith Rrathmal who agreed to assist House Devoren's nomadic trade caravans in defense against a nest of Illithidae

• His older brother Ryltar, a swordmage, taught him the art of the sword and some minor magics (rituals) to pose better as a Fighter-Mage when in various Drow cities.

• The caravan was sold out to the mind-flayers by Tebryn & Ryltar's older sister, Chessegol, and Ryltar and Myrg were killed, while Tebryn escaped capture by falling into an underground river and being washed downstream.

• Chessegol suspects Tebryn may be alive, but believes him to be hiding in Erelhei-Cinlu's Foreign quarter, not that he is actually living on the surface.

• Tebryn was found by an order of human Monks, whose abbot refused to let the unconcious dark elf drown, an act that Tebryn found both foolish and at the same time touching.

• Tebryn wishes to see what kind of fortune a drow mercenary can make for himself on the surface, in a world where tieflings walk openly in the sunlight without being assaulted.

• While Tebryn no longer wishes to rejoin House Devoren (having found real friends here on the surface-world,) he still wants revenge on his sister for her betrayal.

• Tebryn actually finds himself both amused by and fond of his new comrades, even Quarliss, that wretched Eladrin Sorcerer whose spells often backfire and who Tebryn suspects is actually a Warlock.

• Tebryn, while not actually good, can't bring himself to enjoy evil for evil's sake quite as much as his kinfolk seem to...

• Belladonna Arikast is a half-elven Bard who Tebryn is quickly finding himself more and more attracted to, much to his chagrin and her horror. Worse, is that she's starting to return those feelings when she isn't concentrating on disliking him...

• Thalfur, a cleric of Moradin (and devotee of Moradin's exarch Hanseath), who Tebryn enjoys trading barbs with around the campfire and tavern-table, who finds himself liking "that blasted drow" despite often being kicked awake whan it's his turn for watch.

• Chessegol almost regretted setting the Illithids on the caravan, however, the only reason for her regret being that her feelings for thier mutual sibling Ryltar were not exactly sisterly. If she finds out Tebryn is alive for sure, she will want to hunt him down, for no other reason than that he survived and not his brother...

Step 5: Describe three memories, mannerisms, or quirks that your character has. 
  • Tebryn regrets losing the comforts of Drow civilization, and the free reign on his darker impulses that ne can now no longer indulge in outside of adventuring.

• Tebryn revels in his natural drow wickedness and the fear that his people's reputation on the surface often gives him. "I am NOT one of the so-called heroes; I'm not doing this for justice or any higher cause, I'm in this for two things: the chance to kill someone or something, and the loot that comes with that."

• When in surface-world civilized settings (cities, etc.), Tebryn substitutes a sharp tongue for a sharp blade, using cutting humor to cut his foes down rather than a knife between the ribs, unless actual violence is called for.

The sycophants and EULA quoters aren't worth our time. 4E =/= Essentials; Essentials =/= 4E. To WotC/DDI: GO "SOON" YOURSELVES. Internet Rule #41. Needs moar Desu. No exceptions.