Human Star Pact Warlock

3 posts / 0 new
Last post
Cumberbund

"Heeheeheehee. I can see your braaaaiiiiin and its a squid! Ha!"

Cumberbundt was born in the small pastoral village of Sorenthine, a village closed in on one side by the Gorrin mountains and on the other side by the river Kaiien. His mother died in childbirth, unwed and alone. Gorrin was adopted by nobody in particular, but was far from neglected. In a rural community such as Sorenthine, it was rarely difficult for a young ruffian to find someone who was willing to give him a bit of honest work in exchange for food and a few nights in a bed. He spent the most time doing chores and simple household labor for Ms. Tabitha, an old spinster who received work as the towns hedge wizard, dealing her cards and throwing her bones to try to predict the weather of the coming seasons. The local guard captain, Thoriz, took it upon himself to educate the young man, believing that this would keep him out of trouble and therefore cause less work for him in the future.

When he was thirteen, strange new traders began coming down the river with the halflings who usually brought the news of the outside world. They had heard that there was gold in the mountains, and they wanted to trade for it. They brought majestic furs and soft papers, books with knowledge of bizarre creatures that no one had ever seen before, and even enchanted stones that would allow their crops to survive a second spring frost. The inhabitants had known that there was gold in the mountains, in fact it had become a matter of some annoyance as they had to search long and hard to find any of the steel they needed to keep their tools in good repair. Now, however, they could trade their gold for many times its weight in iron, and acquire luxuries the likes of which the town had hardly even heard of. However, acquiring the gold meant mining in the Gorrin, where encounters with Trolls, Shambling Mounds and various less than well intentioned Fae were common. Thoriz put Cumberbundt in charge of a group of scouts, who were sent to find good mining locations and make sure there were no nearby dens of dangerous creatures that might be disturbed by the noise of excavating. This went on successfully for several years, until Cumberbundt was seventeen, when he found the door.

It was like nothing he had ever seen. Made of a shining silver material, it had no definable split, no obvious entry point, no hinges and no handle. It did not open so much as it grew a hole, starting at the center and slowly radiating out. Behind it was a shining light, but yet it didn't illuminate anything beyond the door. The other man with Cumberbundt suddenly felt a wave of extraordinary terror wash over him, but Cumberbundt felt differently. He was suddenly struck with the sensation that just beyond this door lied someone who loved him more deeply than he had ever thought possible. He was irresistibly drawn in. As he entered, he failed to notice his companion disintegrating.

Once inside the emotion quickly faded into a dull wonderment. Then came the images, along with confusion and terror. A sea of entrails tended to by hundreds of hands that were also eyes. A snake made entirely of tongues slithered in and out of invisible pockets of space, moving as one but seemingly split into many pieces. And then his mind saw their entirety. No longer was he confined to the three dimensions of human perception, now he could see everything, all the angles that had been hidden to him. The outsides and the insides, and the ups that were also downs. A dismembered mouth with candy red lips and rows of jagged sharks teeth whispered in his ears: “Now you are we. Do you see, child?” And he screamed as his mind was shorn lobe from lobe and neuron from neuron,his body was broken into its atoms and his heart became a sea of butterflies soaring on the winds that came from his dismembered lungs. He was gone, he no longer existed, but somehow the scream remained, the last bit of his consciousness trapped in a wave of pain that transcended his ability to understand. And then he awoke.

Looking around him, he could see in the distance the mountains where he had been scouting He could see the nearby Kaiien river. But this was not his town as he remembered it. Where was the sound? There were no birds. There were no children running excitedly to the docks to see if the trader ferries had arrived. There were no marketplace bells. There was simply quiet. Every building remained untouched, but every creature was gone. Until the town square. In the town square, the fountain was gone, and replacing it was a mountain of heads, devoid of eyes, and in each one was carved a single runic symbol from a strange language Cumberbundt did not know.

But more than what happened to the town, was what happened to the man himself. He couldn't see things the way he used to. He saw every thing's insides at the same time as he saw their outsides, he could see tiny pockets of purple-black energy floating through the air, and they obeyed when he whispered, creating shimmering blasts and arcs through the terrain. He could see, in every object, a set of properties, and they could be changed. Boiling point, relative gravity, friction, he just had to learn how to change them, they were right there, it was so simple, why couldn't he see it before?

And in the midst of all this, there was a path. A silver, snaking path, crawling across the river and through the wilderness, and it called out a single word

'Follow'

And he did.

So, I started by trying to convert the basic personality of my old 3.5 Psion alien abductee character over to a star pact Warlock for 3.5. Unintentionally across the course of writing a background for my character I put in some things that, upon looking closer, probably implies crossing into ranger with at least one feat, if only to support my ability to survive in wild environments by myself while wandering across the invisible silver path. I tried to put in some characters in the village that the DM could use later if he decides to (they could have escaped and could very well explain what exactly happened. Did the Star creatures kill everyone? Did I?) and of course, the other guy in the woods appeared to disintegrate, head and all, so he wouldn't be on the pile. what was up with that? Give me any thoughts.

Edit:
So, ninety odd views and no responses, tends to indicate that the concept might be less than interesting to many of you. After analysis, Ive come up with two problems with this character. Firstly, most of his life has little effect on his personality once his singular life-changing event occurs. Secondly, his total insanity may prevent him from having interesting or plausible relationships with other characters. I really dont want to make him too sane, as the tortured hero who wonders whether or not he was responsible for the deaths of all his friends seems a little cliche. Cumberbundt needs to be insane enough not to care that he may or may not have killed hundreds of people, but still be interested in what it all means.
I would suggest that he doesn't understand that he is using powers. Almost a 'Bad things happen around me' kind of thing without his will (but you still control his powers of course). The powers that erupt around him come from within his hidden recesses of his mind, nightmares and a subtle star pact with its own mission. He follows the silver trail in hopes of the 'bad luck' ending.

That's my suggestions. Hope it helps.
I'm loving the flavor of the Star Pact warlock, and you are definitely going the way that I was going with my Star Pact Warlock, that things not in his control happen around him and how it terrifies him just as much as his enemies. Only later (or when he gets a magic implement, whichever comes first) does he start to gain some influence over the chaos that surrounds him.
Sign In to post comments