"Jason" Riddance: Former Occultist

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
[The face you have engaged in discussion with, the face of a man calling himself Jason, is veiled in shadow. His head seems to fill the hood of his brown cloak almost completely, but even so, the dim lighting of the pub conceals his face almost fully. His voice is low, whispered and solemn, like that of an elder, but filled with the deliberation of youth. In spite of your pressing question, he seemingly absentmindedly continues the conversation where he left off.]

In the valley to the east, out of sight and mind of the outside world, a tiefling devil-cult lives, or so I have heard.

The Order of the Azure Robe, the high gurus of the cult, never introduce the fact that tieflings and humans are different; all members are raised to believe they are humans, and youths add to one another's angst when their tails and horns begin to grow at puberty. It is a secret among the adults, those who have come of age in an infernal pactmaking rite, that horns, tails, and other tell-tale tiefling traits, are "signs of superiority; these, gifts to you from the Magemakers, are your visa into the realm of magic." Of course, by magic, they mean the devilry they promote...

[This Jason shifts in his seat, and he accidentally bumps the empty chair at the table. After a slight jump of surprise, he reaches over to move the chair back into position, which was originally a bit far for his foot to tap on accident, or so you reckon. You notice his shadow-paled hands, and scars on their palms. Jason's hand quickly retreats into the confines of his robe, which you now notice is just as brown as his cloak. Following his clothing to his neck, you see a bright-sun necklace, a token of Peylor's followers. The dark man speaks again.]

I see my pendant has caught your eye... Yes, it is the specially craft of my order, the Burn Healers, followers of Peylor who help those stricken by the Shining One's dogma, which in the eyes of a Healer is nearly any unfortunate soul... even the followers of the Azure cultists.

A chapter of my order (or what the mainstream temple to Peylor would call a chapter, those beurocrats) went to that village (they are nomadic, you see, going wherever the light shines too brightly), and as "human travelers," they were welcomed, for a time. They brought with them special healing techniques, and cured the sick of their maladies (a feat the Azure mages could not perform.) One day, the son of the high guru, who carried the family title Azurerobe, came to the Healers, pleading with them to save his little brother. This son was already an adult by the standards of the community, and was adept at "magic," but despite all his efforts, there was no healing magic provided by the devils the cult worshiped strong enough to cure his beloved sibling.

The son brought the sibling to the Healers, but the child's infliction was too great to cure without help from on high. And so these Burn Healers called upon the grace of the Bright One to remove the disease from the child, and so it was. The son and brother were overjoyed to be able to talk and play with one another again, but the father was none too pleased. The high guru banished the Burn Healers from the village for bringing in "evil" magic, but in the name of Peylor, they stayed and continued to heal the sick, thus ensuring their execution in fire the next day. To completely "purify" the village...

...To keep his followers from asking questions in regards to the Healer's magic, Patriarch Azurerobe secretly sacrificed his youngest son to the burning infirmary.

["How horrible!" you say, both out of compassion for the man in front of you who is clearly in emotional pain, and out of sincere shock. "Indeed," agrees the cloaked man. After letting it all sink in, you rekindle the conversation "What about the elder son, the one adept at cult magic?"]
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
... The son. When he realized what his father had done, he was outraged, and protested the Patriarch in private. I imagine now that if he had revealed his father's actions to the rest of the community, instead of waging his war in secret, he might have stood a better chance. The father, is seems, cared more about keeping the community under his thumb. When the son protested killing those people who were healing the sick, and his little sibling, for no reason at all, Patriarch Azurerobe put all his efforts into silencing his son, and banished him before his voice could be heard...

The banishment ritual of that society is most brutal, and when the wandering Burn Healers found the boy, cold, naked, bloodied and starving on the plane, they took him in. Thankful for their generosity, enthralled by their special brand of magic, and still holding a hatred in his heart for his father and all he stood for, the young man began his training in the clerical ways. He became educated in the knowledge of the outside world, learned of his own true heritage, and the enmity for his father grew. He named himself Riddance, because he feels that the kind of people that spawned him (not necessarily tieflings, but people who would strip the living of their natural rights) would be best removed from this world, and he is willing to do the cosmos that favor.

He wields powerful divine might, backed by none less that the Shining One, and is willing to destroy evil on every and any front. His virtue is compassion, but his sin is rage, but that is what I think makes him brilliant. I know I got of track to discuss him, but I believe you have your answer. This is the sort of man you are looking for to join your brigade?

["Yes... Yes! That is exactly the kind of person who I have been searching to join our party! A bit longer to answer my question you took, but what a splendid answer! Can you take me to him?" The man's face shifts, and in the light you can see his reddened nose. Well, he had been drinking, some, hadn't he?]

I can, but I cannot. I will send for Riddance, and he will come when the time comes. In the meanwhile, you must settle for Jason. I see that expression on your face, but worry not; I know Riddance better than anyone else. We will not let you down. You do what you want for a bit, I will be enjoying my mead off in the corner. Just tell me when it is time to leave.
DONE! Please, critiques, suggestions, comments? Feedback appreciated!
I must admit i have read this twice already and i am still a bit confused as to what is going on. It seems like the text in black is someone storytelling the white text is the story he is telling, but im unclear about who that person speaking is, is it riddance or someone else? But other than that.......
Sounds interesting and full of possible adventure hooks. There is the son of course looking for revenge but what of the burn healers, where all of them REALLY executed? And the dead brother could easily pass into undeath and become a ghost or wraith or whatever, which could torment the azure mages and give the son more loose ends to tie up. Also i liked how jason named himself riddance, i completely forgot that tiefling name themselves after ideals and emotions and the like until i read this, it just seems to fit
I'm kinda curious about what you wrote this up for, a character of yours, or an adventure DM people through or something surprising?
DONE! Please, critiques, suggestions, comments? Feedback appreciated!

Well, since you asked...

I really don't care for the name "Jason", sorry. Too real world-ish. Just my opinion.
I appologise, it was one of my intentions for ambiguity, but not necessarily confusion. Yes, the text in black is what is going on with "you," and what the would be narrator would be telling you. I was not sure how to communicate that without actually typing it out, so I appogise. And yes, the hooded character calling himself Jason (who is one and the same as the elder son, Riddance) is the one telling the story.

Jason is the alias Riddance uses in public, out of shame and hate of his heritage and his sincere desire to be an authentic, good human. That is also why he covers his head, skin, and tail in public, but he let each of those slide on accident while speaking with the recruiting adventurer. Riddance is what he is known by to his allies and people he trusts, and the name he chose for himself, as explained before.

The Burn Healers I imagine are many in number, but sparse because of their nomadic missionary ways. The ones murdered in the arson of the infirmary were not all that there were (Jason explains that that was just chapter of the Healers), and when he is found by another chapter, he joins them. And the undead idea for the younger son is excellent, and one I handn't thought of before. And considering it would be tormenting a cult, I am mildly afeared to ponder upon what the Azure might due in response!

And I wrote this because I was bored, but wanted to develop a character of mine. I sometimes think of short stories I would write about my many characters who I have conceptualized but not yet played, and I often imagine them discussing their backstory in a manner that reminds me of The Canterbury Tales. Mostly it would be a scenario where the character spews their life story to an NPC of mild to heavy importance to the character. I might write more, but from now on, they will be a bit less ambiguous and confusing, simply because Jason Riddance is the only one who would truly be ashamed of his past.
Well, since you asked...

I really don't care for the name "Jason", sorry. Too real world-ish. Just my opinion.

I understand your dislike for it, but there are two very real reasons why I chose that name (and no offense, but it stays, unless a better name can be found). As you said, Jason is very much a "real world" human name, and that is one reason why Riddance adopted it as his alias. Also, the meaning of Jason means "healer" or "the Lord is salvation." Indeed, this name was chosen by the elder son for the very same just as powerful association he held with it as he did "Riddance."
I think it's awesome. :D I love the idea of Jason being there most of the time with Riddance showing up when necessary (when Jason gets angry? (if I'm reading that right)) Cool concept. The only thing that confused me about was the renaming of gods in places--mostly "the Bring One". Otherwise really cool.
I think it's awesome. :D I love the idea of Jason being there most of the time with Riddance showing up when necessary (when Jason gets angry? (if I'm reading that right)) Cool concept. The only thing that confused me about was the renaming of gods in places--mostly "the Bring One". Otherwise really cool.

Oh ****-******, I'll go fix that right now (supposed to be "Bright One").

Anyway, thanks for the support. And yes, Riddance is not only Jason's other alias, but also an aspect of his ego that he associates with his Tiefling heritage. When Jason/Riddance gets angry in combat, he is likely to use his Infernal Pact Warlock powers in conjunction with Infernal Wrath, instead of the Peylor Cleric powers he normally tries to depend on. When I wrote the last paragraph, I was thinking that Jason was going to reveal to the party later that he and Riddance were one and the same; your interpretation was also excellent, however!

I do plan on making him a Cleric (Infernal Warlock) btw. No clue what I will have his PP or ED be, however.
I understand your dislike for it, but there are two very real reasons why I chose that name (and no offense, but it stays, unless a better name can be found).

No offense taken. I just gave my opinion because you asked for it. It's not like I demanded that you change the name.