Able Hellschilde: Tiefling Warlord

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Background:
Able grew up in a family of priests, his mother a priestess of Ioun, his father also a Priest of the knowledge Seeking One. His parents were loving and devoted to their children. His older sister, himself, and his younger brother all went to the Temple to undergo their training to become priests and priestess. While studying at the temple though Abel found himself having trouble concentrating on holy studies, and spent many hours in supplication and prayer trying to figure out what was wrong with him that he couldn't fulfill this holy calling that his family expected of him.

One day a wounded half-elf mercenary came to the temple, and he was entrusted to Able's care. Able bound the man's wounds, and helped bring him back around to health. He listened as the man talked of the battlefield, and the life of a mercenary warrior. Able felt his heart pull at him, as his ears took in the tales of the battlefield. Constantly he would ask about what it felt like to be a leader of men, to bark orders and commands to others. The wounded man, Gunther, shook his head in amazement at the tiefling boy.

When Gunther's wounds were healed, Able wrote a letter to the temple abbess and a second to his parents. He thanked his parents for spending the money to get him a good education at the temple, for bringing him up right, for teaching him proper manner, and morals. He then promised to pay them back ever cent his education cost them. He was quitting to take up the life of a soldier for hire. He then told them that in order to keep the family from shame, he was changing his last name to Hellschilde.

Upon joining Captain Gunther's unit the Wolf Company, Able quickly shot up to the rank of Lieutenant, and was virtually adopted by the captain, so close was their bond. The captain even gave Able a sword as a gift for his 18th birthday. Thus it came as quite the heavy blow when while on maneuvers fighting a group of Elven ultra-nationalists, the captain and many of the officers died. Though the battle was won, the sword Able had been given by his foster father, the captain, was broken. The inscription calling him son was ruined. Able took the sword of the terrorist leader he slew, and had mounted onto the hilt of the sword the captain gave him.

For 8 years Able has not heard from his family, rather he has been sending money to the temple, 2/10th of what ever he has made to help pay for his brother and sister's educations. His parents didn't need the money, and they worry about their son, he does not know it, but they have heard of his exploits in the Wolf Company and while disheartened that he would not be a priest like his little brother, they love to hear the news of his victories, and of the young lieutenant Hellschilde. They would write to him to let him know their feelings but they do not know how to get a message to him, or where he will be.

Appearance:
Abel is a dark red skinned Tiefling, with a medium thickness tail that is just over 3 feet long. He stands at 6'1” with a chin clear of any of the usual “bearding” found on tiefling males his age. He is of a strong build with lean features. He wears a long black cape over his shoulders on the back of which is an image of a wolf. Also on a gold chain is a small lacquered carving of a wolf a child made for him. His shield bears the company logo of a standing wolf in red howling at a crescent moon in the upper right. The lower left, shows the holy symbol of Ioun in Yellow, on a black background. The other 2 quadrants are blue and silver.

Personality:
Abel is a person of a calmness, and bale fire. Burning in him is a warriors spirit intermingled with the serenity of a priest. There is a tempest in his heart as the two sides of himself battle for control of his personality. Though some would say the reverent priest mixing with the battle hardened warrior makes for a startling enemy as he is calm when fighting. Giving orders and rallying his allies while at the same time displaying a fierce conviction of faith. After the battle he has been seen giving thanks to his god for his continuation in life, and the lives of his comrades. At the dawn of every day, when he awakens he gives thanks for that day of life which he will enjoy. Some habits you can't break, others you never want to.

Now here is the deal, I need a way to represent the years of cleric training, and I was thinking of using the cleric training feat, but I wonder about spreading stat points too thin. Any suggestions on how to make the representation, and any other items that I can use to work out my Warlord so he seems like he has this dual nature?
Now here is the deal, I need a way to represent the years of cleric training, and I was thinking of using the cleric training feat, but I wonder about spreading stat points too thin. Any suggestions on how to make the representation, and any other items that I can use to work out my Warlord so he seems like he has this dual nature?

Does every cleric/priest have to have some 15+ in Wisdom?

Perhaps his lower wis was a major reason for his failing at being a cleric?

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/20.jpg)

The multiclass feat has been said to require 13+ in the primary ability of the class (in this case, wisdom).

I think with his religious practices and devotion that you have all you need right there. A character doesn't need to call forth divine power in order to strongly worship a deity. Gain training in religion and heal (if it is still a skill) and your covered on what the church's education likely included. Give him an average wisdom to represent his unhappiness in the path of a priest.
Heal is a class skill for Warlords, so that's easy, but there's no indication that Religion is, so you'll probably need a feat for that part. If you're willing to cut corners slightly, you could take the Paladin multiclassing feat instead (Str 13, Cha 13 req. so nothing a Warlord can't use), and say that he was always drawn a little more toward the militant order of the church to begin with, though his parents didn't think it a fitting path for him. Otherwise, the D&D XP Wizard seems to hint that the Skill Training feat can be used to pick up skills outside your class skill list, so you could probably just take Skill Training (Religion) to represent your character's upbringing (or make a deal with the DM). After all, if he "couldn't fulfill his holy calling," then it's entirely possible he never channeled any sort of divine power like Healing Word.

I've been thinking about a Tiefling Warlord myself, I may have to post a thread for him...
The Cleric Multiclassing feat does require a WIS of 13, but does give the Religion skill as a class skill, as can be seen here :

4th Edition Excerpts: Multiclassing

Hope this helps
I just made a massive discovery, something I astounded me that I hadn't seen. So without further adue let me post up Able's stats as how I arranged them at a 25 point buy.

str: 14
Con: 13
Dex: 10
Int: 14
Wis 10
Cha: 16

After this stunning turn of events I suddenly realized after looking at the characters that came with Keep on the Shadow Fell that, by Gaygax's Beard, it's a 30 point buy! Which means I have 5 points to play with. So unless there is another way to take religion as a skill. And trust me I am hoping that there is a way to take cross class skills without having to cross class.

There is a reason why
Without cleric feat

Str 16
con 14
Wis 10
Cha: 16

"with Cleric Feat

str: 14
Con: 13
Wis 13
Cha: 17
basicly I was left with 2 stat points to stick somewhere and I figure since he's an inspireing warlord, why not in Charisma. But this build seems less, satisfying. But unless someone else has any other ideas I think this might have to wait till the 4e phb comes out to answer.
Very nice! Seems to me that you have a very well defined character with a good, strong history. I particularly like Able's wooden wolf pendant; a very nice touch that shows both Able's sentimental side, and the admiration others, including the truest critics of all (children), have in him.

I am actually doing a very similar "dual nature" thing with my Jason Riddance character, though I daresay that Jason's Riddance seems to be a bit more conflicting with his alter ego than Able's Hellchilde.

As for stat points, here is what I think. Able's high stats will likely by Charisma, Strength, and Wisdom; he was ADD in school but still respected the teachings, is strong but lean, and fond of heavy armor and weapons, and the emotions they evoke. With this build, a Inspirational Warlord with training in Cha using cleric powers seems reasonable to me. You will be a little lacking in defense, but your offensive and support abilities will be unmatched, it would seem.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!
Very nice! Seems to me that you have a very well defined character with a good, strong history. I particularly like Able's wooden wolf pendant; a very nice touch that shows both Able's sentimental side, and the admiration others, including the truest critics of all (children), have in him.

I am actually doing a very similar "dual nature" thing with my Jason Riddance character, though I daresay that Jason's Riddance seems to be a bit more conflicting with his alter ego than Able's Hellchilde.

As for stat points, here is what I think. Able's high stats will likely by Charisma, Strength, and Wisdom; he was ADD in school but still respected the teachings, is strong but lean, and fond of heavy armor and weapons, and the emotions they evoke. With this build, a Inspirational Warlord with training in Cha using cleric powers seems reasonable to me. You will be a little lacking in defense, but your offensive and support abilities will be unmatched, it would seem.

That's Wiz. I was already going to go heavy armor for him, but I think I'll keep toying with the mechanics but I think I can make it work nicely.
I just got the idea this morning, but upon thinking about it I agree with Nelyo. A paladin would be a much easier and effective multiclass than cleric. Strenth, Charisma, badaboom. If you go this way, you can play to the Tiefling Warlord of Ioun aspect of the character and have INT as a good score as well.
Let your voice be heard! Tell WotC to Publish D&D 4e under the OGL!