THE UNKNOWN DARKNESS - Session 19
" The buzz of the city is all around . It´s time to search for clues amongst it´s buildings and citizens….”
- On the morning of the 13th day of Therendor , the party goes to the dinning room of the Jorasco Enclave , to have breakfast after the much needed rest. They decide to go around town , so as to sell and buy the items they all need and want......
- At the end of the day , when the group is resting on the dinning room of the Jorasco Enclave , the peaceful atmosphere is interrupted by the sound of a group of men-at-arms that enter the room. They have the colours of House Deneith , and are lead by an official , a human female named Bereschel d’Deneith . She is clearly not happy with what she´s doing here , but she approaches the group with a small chest , offering it to them , and saying:
- With this , she turns around and leaves the room along with the rest of the House Deneith force.The party examines the 6 medallions, with the sigil of House Orien , and Cyber and N´evitash identify magic of protection in them , but no apparent harm . Dennior quickly puts one of them , and says :
"Well , at least now we don´t need to go around the city in a group"......
- With this renewed sense of freedom , each member goes around town on private dealings during the night . In the morning , they gather at breakfast, and decide to go to the Citadel of Twelve once again , but , to safeguard Hammer against the dubious interest of House Cannith , decide it best that he stays behind in the Jorasco Enclave.
- Upon arriving there , they are met by Uskal D´Orien and by an elderly human male named Toven D´Cannith. He says he might be able to lift the curse of Vrakor , but , to do so , he will need to examine the scars that he left , and examine their bodies. Quill´rhirr and Dennior volunteer , and the rest leaves on some errands in town during the rest of the morning.
- Earendil explores town and discover that House Tharashk , owns the Graystone Ward, but can´t discover anything in regards of Mask´s whereabouts , and is in fact threatened and ordered to leave the ward, but not before spotting one of House Tharashk operatives that “kidnapped” him. Cyber and N´evitash go into the Marketplace District and decide to go and speak to Valexa Von Ruthvek at her store. They present themselves as explorers and show her the scrolls they´ve discovered along their journey (from : Gnome Nephret at Giants Temple , Kech Volaar at Five Kings Temple , Morspeth D´Cannith , Dorrius in Dolurrh´s Dawn, Kulriatarior at his Cave) , letters ( from Lord Commander of Karnath , and Keisha ) and the volumes of Dhaakan story. She is eager to help them , but in exchange for her work , she wants the party´s help in acquiring a ancient artifact commissioned to her. They promise to return .
- Meanwhile the other two members at the Citadel of Twelve start asking questions , while being examined Toven D´Cannith they discover the curse can be lifted permanently by finding a rare item called “The Cleansing Stone” . During the exam ,and while talking, they realize that he knows about their new Dragonmark, and, they are then met by the leaders of some of the Houses in Stormreach. Morian Shol d’Phiarlan, Channa Vown d’Cannith , Calynden d’Lyrandar , Uskal D´Orien , Amilene Santor d’Sivis.
- They then receive some information about their recent ordeal. The Twelve are aware of the appearance of a supposed “ new Dragonmark” , although they terminantly claim it´s false , since the 13th Dragonmark , the Mark of Death , was destroyed in 980 YK , and that what they have, is a kind of Aberrant Dragonmark , despite all who have this new Dragonmark have equal ones , unlike the other Aberrant Dragonmarks. In Stormreach , the few bearers of this new Dragonmark , have gathered under the “pompous” name of House Khan, lead by an individual named Rhoy Khan , and have thus far been able to maintain their base a secret , despite some occasions where The Twelve nearly got them. The Twelve have followed some clues, thru the efforts of some members of different Dragonmark Houses, and that is how they learned of the Tower of Tal-Aqat ,and the village in the middle of the jungle . Also , with the aid of some intel , they were able to follow a force of House Khan , in an operation into the Quori Outpost , and there they managed to thwart whatever plans they had , and kill 2 members , that allowed Toven D´Cannith to study for the first time the new Dragonmark. Later , thru House Tharashk , they were able to examine a live “specimen”, Mask , but his unwillingness to help lead to his demise .
- For their part , Quill´rhirr and Dennior , informed that they haven´t met any one of House Khan yet , told them of their journeys, leaving out some of the combats with members of other Houses and the whereabouts of Dolurrh´s Dawn, and also of all their amnesia . In the end , with the promise of The Twelve of helping them find their pasts and aiding them with their curses and in helping to get rid of their new Dragonmark , the two of them strike a deal , in which they will in return inform them of all that House Khan is doing. In the end of the meeting , Earendil, Cyber and N´evitash join with them , and are told of all that has happened , despite not all of them agreeing with all that the duo has done.
- Later , they go back to the Jorasco Enclave , and put Hammer updated on their findings , and go to try to find Rhoy Khan. But first , they decide to go into the Chapterhouse and meet with Hansi Kurch. There they meet him and discover that the aura of illusion that surrounds him , is to hide his burned skin , from a combat with a dragon in his past. Feeling a little more at peace , they get, once more, the instructions to find House Khan. To do so , they go into Saltire ward , and after awhile they start asking for Cadroc , a human boy that is kind of their liaison in the Ward. They eventually get to meet him , thru his network of fellow street urchins. Upon showing to Cadroc their new Dragonmark , the boy leads them thru a labyrinth of houses and tunnels , and after that thru a downward route into the depths of Stormreach ruins. After about 2 hours , they come upon an ancient Dwarf outpost in a cave complex. The boy then leaves them alone , saying that Rhoy Khan is inside. The door opens up , and they are met at the door by a human , of about middle age , with black leather and long silver hair, and a Syberis Dragonmark of the same type of theirs Dragonmark in his face. “Welcome brothers! Finally we get a chance to come face to face! I thought this day would never arrive!”
- The party follows him inside , and they all feel a tingling sensation upon going thru the door , but pass unharmed , despite Dennior not being able to enter , on a first try , he eventually gets in pushing thru , also unharmed . Quill´rhirr quickly verbally unleashes his frustration upon their host , but Rhoy Khan assures him that he will answer all their questions truthfully , but first , he must tell them all he knows , although he claims of not knowing all of it also . Carefully , Cyber and N´evitash try to sense the area for magic, and sense an aura of power , but also of magic of protection and illusion from their host. Upon confronting him with this , and his claims of coming clean to them , he tells them that he is in fact only half human. He is an Half-Dragon. After their surprise , he then begins to talk.
- Rhoy Khan says: “ I awoke 99 years ago , alone and confused , with no memory whatsoever , in a cave deep beneath the Fangs of Argarak. Much like you , I awoke with a new Dragonmark , and went exploring the nearby area with no purpose. I lived a lonely life for some time , until I came upon some explorers , of House Cannith , and tagged along. They were searching for an Ancient Temple of the Giants , and eventually they found it. Inside , there were designs for some new type of sentient being , that later I learned to be the base for the Warforged. Eventually they came to Last Chance , and there I was betrayed and attacked by members of The Twelve, I managed to escape , and in the process , freed a fellow, Fillion, with a new Dragonmark equal to mine. We started being chased from that moment on. I won´t go into details , it were difficult times ,but we prevailed, and in the next decades even found other members that wandered into town from the jungle .We eventually started researching , and managed to learn that we all had a previous life before awakening , and all died a heroic death. We all have no memories of previous life but had equal new Dragonmark, although , in time , some of us evolved theirs into bigger ones , being mine the biggest we know of , a Syberis Dragonmark. Our new Dragonmark have some resemblance to the fabled Mark of Death , but ours , is much more complex , like if the Mark of Death was only half of ours. We managed to find ancient scrolls , that are part of the mysterious Caldyn Fragments, who are in it´s essence , just an interpretation of the Draconic Prophecy , that talk of a new Dragonmark House appearing around this year .We also found hints in other hundreds of books, artifacts and ruins that talk of a series of random appearances of individuals of this new house . It was in one of this books that I learned where the 22 would appear ,as well of the other places where in time , I , the others “resurrected” , and even found one that told of my rebirth. The 22 , it seems , will be last of the chosen ones that will begin this new House. The Caldyn Fragments talked of trials all had to endure , and that would in the end , show who the true ones should be. That is why I haven´t aided you more , in fact, I am even afraid that I helped you more then was allowed , with the letters I left. Because I also learned that there is a higher power working above us, who it is, and what purpose it has, I don´t know, but , it has to be extremely powerful , to be able to thwart us all from Dolurrh´s grasp. We learned that in the next months , with the aid of a complex continent wide ritual , a conjunction of elements must be prepared , so that in the end of the ritual , our House Khan will have irrefutable proof of it´s legitimacy, although , until then , we will be confronted with ordeals and tests to continue to prove our worth. The Caldyn Fragments also tell that this event , if successful ,will trigger future events that will bring a new age of proximity between mortals and Gods. As you can see, we have a monumental task ahead of us , and not a lot of time , since we have only until the end of the year to complete all the ritual , and I know that we face a lot of enemies , The Twelve , The individual Dragonmark Houses, The Chamber, The Crimson Codex , The Dreaming Dark , The Secret Services of the Nations of Khorvaire ,The Storm Lords , The Covenant of Light , The Cabal of Shadows , The Wayfinder Foundation , The Blood of Vol , The Cults of the Dragon Below , The Lords of Dust , The Faiths of Rashumé , all the natives of Xen´drik , they all have a special interest in us , for different reasons, but whatever reasons they have, i´m don´t want to expose ourselves to them without establishing a stronger presence. I also would like to know more about Dolurrh´s Dawn village , because from what I heard , the people of that village have a similar story to our own, although they don´t have the new dragonmarks.
- And this is what I know, and where I stand . I need your help right now, because we have to decide what to do next. We have 3 different tasks that need to be done , from my point of view. Establish ourselves in Stormreach , by gaining alliances and, or , by conquering help so we can back up our claims in the future against all our enemies. Discover further clues of our destiny , what to do ,and where to find the specifics of the ritual we have to do . And finding and preparing the different locations of the ritual , that I know, are scattered along Xen´drik. I know you have a lot of questions , so please , ask them now….”
- A conversation that lasted for the rest of the day, and during the night ensues , and the party get´s to know all that goes around town , at least from Rhoy Khan´s point of view ......