THE UNKNOWN DARKNESS II - Session III
"Left alone in their hut , the party quickly starts to make plans to leave it whitout anyone noticing , but sometimes , the best laid out plans go wrong...."
- After being left by Toraash in their hut in Blackroot , the party decides to investigate their surroundings . And so , Adoeak is sent to do this. He tries to see what´s inside the hut where they saw the sign of the Cult of the Dragon Below , and manages to see a ritual of some kind being made , upon a small altar , but , since he can´t enter it alone , he returns to their hut . Unfortunetely luck is not shining on him this night , and he is discovered by the villagers. Warned for the last time , they are kept under more close surveillance.
- Realizing that they probably won´t be able to leave in the morning , the group then decides to device a plan to draw attention to them , and let one of them escape. Shouting for Toraash ,they are surprised to see not him , but a poor and beaten human villager come to their door. The villager is called Drag , and is clearly frightened. The party , while making fake demands , and whitout attracting attention , asks the old men what happened to him , and learns that he was fooled in coming here with other humans , because the humans are being used for sacrifices inside the mine at the end of the valley. Earing this , Adoeak stealthly escapes once more , and goes to investigate the mine.
- Drag ultimately agrees to help the party escape the village , if they promise to go and help his daughter , Doria , who was taken to the cave tonight. They agree , and after Drag leaves them in their hut , they prepare for the escape. This happens the moment they hear cries of "Help!! The prisioners are escaping towards the valley entrance!!" on the other side of the village.
- The party quickly crashes thru the hut back window , and on thru the swamp , but , Thorsik´s clumsiness atracts the villagers attention , and quickly they find themselves running towards the mine , with the villagers on their pursuit.
- Adoeak was devicing a plan to eliminate the guards at the mine entrance , when he hears his companions run thru the nearby jungle. This prompts him to action , before losing the surprise factor. The battle starts with 2 Orc Wardens , but quickly they are joined by 2 mad cultists. The party , now rejoined , manages to defeat them , and enters the mine.
- They descend deeper and deeper. Suddenly, an eerie crimson glow rises from the passage ahead. The walls of the cavern are covered with lines of red light. Scrawls and scribbles painted in what looks like glowing blood. The symbols resemble some sort of writing, but although this is no language they know, the text is infuriatingly familiar. Suddenly they realize that the symbols are moving , crawling slowly across the walls and floor. Thorsik and Fenrir manage to discover , that the words , are name of the sacrificed to the Cult of the Dragon Below , and that their very souls are trapped inside it. They read Doria´s name in here.
- They continue on , and come upon a small room where an alcove is protected by a Glyph. Fenrir deactivates it easily , and inside the alcove they discover broken statues of Balinor , Arawai and Olladra. While praying for guidance , in this , although destroyed , holy place , the keen senses of Zegut hear sounds of chanting from further ahead . Thorsik identifies it as Deep Speech chants , that praise to “He who watches behind each eye.”
- Quietly advancing , since they still have the other villagers on their pursuit , the party tries to discover how many individuals are executing the ritual , but , even before they manage to arrive at the ritual site , Adoeak´s bad luck once more comes into play , and they alert the ritualists , that come to attack them.
- They have to face a horde of cultists ,of humans , half-orcs and orcs , with clothes that have been stripped off, and all bear extra inhuman eyes embedded in their flesh. As the cultists moan and chant, each waves a curved, glittering blade chipped from volcanic glass. A foul creature leads the group . Long tentacles rise from the shoulders of this gaunt figure, and its eyes are hollow sockets filled with writhing cilia. Glowing red sigils flow across its gray skin—a match to the markings on the walls of the hall of living words. It´s a Dolgaunt , one of the high-ranking servants of the daelkyr. With Khanshed unleashing his raw power , and Argus holding the horde , the party , with difficulty , wins once again.
- Slowly, Adoeak peeks thru the cave curve to see what where they chanting to.....